Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The friendliest cats I ever met were orphaned at two weeks, mom got hit by a car and the kittens were rescued, bottle fed from that point.

We got to keep one of them, she never really grew up to be a "cat" and is still acts like a big fat kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Taking it to the vet in an hour. We have 3 small dogs and a Himalayan cat already so another addition won't bother us.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right on. She's quite young and will likely be a wonderful pet.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dashcam thread: Catching Kittens Globally :3:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The only time I encountered a lost cat in the road I stopped and it when up to my muffler for warmth. Was dirty as hell, no collar and a wonky leg. Took it home, gave it some milk and the next day my sister took it to the animal hospital and she said they'd have to put it down. It's funny how much I love kitties that I don't know but my girlfriend's cat can eat a dick for making GBS threads on the mat right next to her litter box this morning just because my girlfriend is away on a business trip this week and she just wanted to showcase her displeasure. Only 6 more days of this.

But kudos to you PenisMonkey for being good and kind.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Thanks buddies. On topic, it was recorded on a Roadhawk HD.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

PenisMonkey posted:

Thanks buddies. On topic, it was recorded on a Roadhawk HD.

So how are you naming the cat ? Roadhawk ? Dash ?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
QT. I was pulling out of Quik Trip in the video so the name seems fitting.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I hope its siblings and mom are also okay. :3:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hope its siblings and mom are also okay. :3:

gently caress 'em, they didn't have the balls to hang out where they'd either get adopted or run over. Coffee is for closers.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Want kitty :3: Also in your video there is a man who crosses the road and back who was clearly also kitty rescue bound till you did the deed.

This video doesn't show much clearly and I really need a cam that will give a chance at picking up number plates (and actual detail) but this guy was driving in the middle of the road and had I not both pulled over to the absolute edge of my side and hit the brakes we would have hit. Missed me by less than 10 cms.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJfhOaPzs2M:nws: (Swearing)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Leperflesh posted:

Kittens don't become "feral" until they're older. Small kittens will socialize and imprint on a human with like 10 minutes of contact. The older they get, the more wary they get, and by the time they're 6 months old, a cat that has not been socialized will be more or less permanently feral - they may warm up to a human, but most won't tolerate being touched and will fight if they're picked up. There are exceptions but they're rare.

One of our cats is an exception. He was about 6-7 months old when I found him nearly dead at a friends condo complex in the winter. I put him in a box and he lived with my motorcycles and cars in a garage for a month while I nursed him back from near death. He was a bit hostile with the other cats so he lived in my office and chilled on my lap each night for an additional 2-3 months. After that he was the fattest, most lovable bear of a cat ever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

8ender posted:

One of our cats is an exception. He was about 6-7 months old when I found him nearly dead at a friends condo complex in the winter. I put him in a box and he lived with my motorcycles and cars in a garage for a month while I nursed him back from near death. He was a bit hostile with the other cats so he lived in my office and chilled on my lap each night for an additional 2-3 months. After that he was the fattest, most lovable bear of a cat ever.

Possibly an exception, but also very possibly an abandoned cat who was at least somewhat socialized. It's incredibly sad how many pet cats are abandoned by irresponsible (heartless) owners. Most of them don't survive but a few manage it and can become a bit skittish. There are also "ferals" who people see and feed and pet a lot as older kittens. We captured our two boys as brothers being raised by a fully-feral cat when they were both around 10-12 weeks old; they're socialized and good pets, but they'll always be quite skittish and very wary of strangers. Nobody new to our house gets to see them, much less pet them. That's pretty typical.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So many new posts I thought someone had caught a fiery wreck on their dashcam or something equally spectacular. Kitten chat is... acceptable :3: My new apartment is cats only so I'll probably be in the market for one before the end of the year.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
I'm sure this is asked constantly but I went back a couple pages and couldn't find an answer to my question so I'd figure I'd ask the thread.

What is the best dashcam that captures GPS coordinates/estimated speed and still has decent camera footage during day and night? Discreet would be nice since my neighborhood isn't exactly the best area but that's not a huge necessity. Are there any decently priced ones or am I looking to be dropping a couple hundred bucks? I was looking at the Mobius but that doesn't look like it captures GPS information.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Just out of curiosity, why is gps info important? It seems superfluous to me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

a Mini 0803 with a custom firmware update from here: http://dc.p-mc.eu/0803/firmware does GPS Speed overlay. It may be switchable with coordinates (not both at once)

I have been using it without issue for about 6 months. Video quality is excellent day/night too.

the GPS coordinates is done via a PC application that splices the GPS data with the video and a google maps display side by side.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

lmao zebong posted:

What is the best dashcam that captures GPS coordinates/estimated speed and still has decent camera footage during day and night? Discreet would be nice since my neighborhood isn't exactly the best area but that's not a huge necessity. Are there any decently priced ones or am I looking to be dropping a couple hundred bucks?

I've been using the KD links X1 for a few months now, has been working great through the heat of the summer. It was ~150 off amazon back in the spring, not sure what it's running now.

Visibility wise, I used black electrical tape to mask the lens bezel and the screen printed logo on the face. I can't get it any higher on the windshield due to the supplied mount, and since the GPS receiver is embedded in the mount I haven't tried to fab anything up. I don't think you'd see it unless you're specifically looking for it, but I usually take it down if I'm parking at a stadium or something.

I uploaded a video from tonight to show you what you get at night, you can't really make out license plates but I've also got the cam zoomed out as far as it can go. The software gives you a map of where the video covered, but there's no way to export the GPS data or link it to any other videos as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SmWqd7UMI

`Nemesis posted:

I got creative and overlaid GPS data onto the video I shot while going around the 'ring earlier this summer, it took a lot of fiddling and still isn't 100% perfect but was fun just the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWlSKFAotjI

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team

`Nemesis posted:

Mostly just because I think it's cool when I see dashcam videos that have that information on the screen and would like to have that information for my videos as well.

Laserface posted:

a Mini 0803 with a custom firmware update from here: http://dc.p-mc.eu/0803/firmware does GPS Speed overlay. It may be switchable with coordinates (not both at once)

I have been using it without issue for about 6 months. Video quality is excellent day/night too.

the GPS coordinates is done via a PC application that splices the GPS data with the video and a google maps display side by side.

I saw the mini 0805 on Amazon shortly after I posted and was definitely considering that. Good to know the night video quality is good as well.

`NoWake posted:

Awesome info and pictures of KD links X1

Thanks for the post! It looks like I'm going to have to decide between the mini 0805 and the KD links X1.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The Roadhawk has GPS but you have to use the program that comes with it to see it. The mic on this thing sucks poo poo though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The gps speed thing is just giving peoplr ammo if you are doing 36 in a 35 (or if, as is likely it is innaccurate).
If you are grossly speeding, that can be shown through a long process and ditto for clearly not grossly speeding. The GPS speed thing seems like a bad idea.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've got an X1 as well and after some early issues with firmware it's been working fine through this Texas summer. It's pretty easy to snap on and off the suction cup mount thing, but I've just been covering it up with my windshield sunscreen whenever I need to park outside somewhere. It gets BALLS hot when in direct sunlight, but so far I haven't noticed any issues with its operation. The GPS is optional, there is a separate little plug on the top of the unit you need to use to enable it, and you can even snap the mount open and remove the GPS unit completely. It comes with a backup mount but only one GPS so this is how you would move it over to the 2nd mount if you ever needed to.

I haven't really played around with the GPS data yet, mostly because I'm too lazy to install the software to read it off the device. Seems like it would be cool to be able to prove exactly where you were at a certain time, but I'm also worried about actually getting into an incident and the other side going 'hur hur you were going 75 in a 70 you share half blame'. Unless you're the world's most conscientious driver then that data probably has the potential to do you more harm than good from a legal standpoint.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Off topic, kinda. Does anyone know the best way to disassemble a Mini 0803? I"d been having issues with it lately, like sometimes it'll just randomly shut off, or hang on startup, or sit with the red light on not recording. I usually attributed these things to either heat or a loose power connection, and resigned myself to the fact that it was probably dying. Anyway, it was doing some new wonky thing with the recording light today, so I took it down to check it out. It still recorded everything just fine, up to the time I pulled into my driveway, but when I took it down I found this:

It's just the top seam that's split, the bottom one is still intact. I know it hasn't taken any kind of shock, because I had it out about a month ago and it was perfect. I don't know if it has a capacitor or a battery inside, but my guess is that whatever it is has asploded in there. I don't see any screws at all in this thing, except for the two you can see on the mounting tab that attaches it to the bracket. Admittedly I haven't researched it yet, which I'm off to do right now, but has anyone else had theirs do this?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Use a hobby knife to pry off the black ring around the power button to reveal 4 screws to disassemble the camera.

be careful as there is a ball and spring used for the ratcheting position that might fly out when you take the 'cap' off after removing the screws.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I seem to attract idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V61gf6T10PQ

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Laserface posted:

Use a hobby knife to pry off the black ring around the power button to reveal 4 screws to disassemble the camera.

be careful as there is a ball and spring used for the ratcheting position that might fly out when you take the 'cap' off after removing the screws.

Thanks, yeah the ball dropped out when I wasn't expecting it. I caught it at least. There are a couple pretty good teardown writeups online, so I followed one of those and welp,

Hmm, that doesn't look right

Swole as gently caress :(

I took a bunch more pics (basically for reference / if I ever want any of the rev numbers off of the boards for any reason), but you get the gist of it.

The only place i seem to be able to find this battery for sale is on alibaba.com, and at a greatly reduced capacity (310mah instead of the alleged 450 in the blowed up one). Who knows how accurate either spec is though, because :china:. I've put in inquiries with some of the alibaba sellers, but I'm almost ready to say gently caress it and get another camera with a capacitor instead this time around.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

couldnt you just fit a supercap to the board on the same points, or is the charging/circuit totally different?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Black88GTA posted:

Thanks, yeah the ball dropped out when I wasn't expecting it. I caught it at least. There are a couple pretty good teardown writeups online, so I followed one of those and welp,

Hmm, that doesn't look right

Swole as gently caress :(

I took a bunch more pics (basically for reference / if I ever want any of the rev numbers off of the boards for any reason), but you get the gist of it.

The only place i seem to be able to find this battery for sale is on alibaba.com, and at a greatly reduced capacity (310mah instead of the alleged 450 in the blowed up one). Who knows how accurate either spec is though, because :china:. I've put in inquiries with some of the alibaba sellers, but I'm almost ready to say gently caress it and get another camera with a capacitor instead this time around.

Check out hobby websites, those kinds of batteries are popular for RC planes and mini-drones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah those look like a generic hobbyking kind of battery.

edit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7571__ZIPPY_450mAh_20C_single_cell.html

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Laserface posted:

couldnt you just fit a supercap to the board on the same points, or is the charging/circuit totally different?

I thought of this, and actually found a thread (here, if anyone is interested) where a guy tried to do exactly that. Tl;dr, he went through a few revisions and eventually made it work, although the solution involved custom firmware and 4 caps inside, plus a couple more stuck to the outside due to lack of room inside the case. To me it seemed like it wouldn't really be worth it vs. getting a newer version with one already in there from the factory and working. v0v

The most important parameters for the battery were actually voltage output and physical size, with the capacity a distant 3rd. There's not a whole lot of room in there for anything bigger without modification, and even then not much. I wasn't sure how much room exactly I had, so I was looking for cells that were the same size as the bad one. I actually found a handful of them on ebay for pretty cheap after I stripped away all of the letters and searched only for the number string indicating the size. :doh: They were all from HK / China as well, but not much I can do about that I guess. I ended up ordering one (330mah) for $9 shipped. The loss of capacity won't bother me too much I guess, I never really run it off the battery anyway under normal circumstances.

Alibaba was a loving joke - surprisingly, a handful of the suppliers I emailed actually got back to me, although they wanted anywhere between $50 - $60 shipped for a single generic battery :stare:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well, alibaba is more for bulk shippers from china anyways, right? I'm also assuming they don't actually have the stock themselves sitting in a warehouse, they probably just act as a middleman from a different wholesaler or much more likely for larger orders source from the factory themselves, so a single unit means a good portion of the effort and time of a 10k+ order which is really what you are buying, right?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Yeah I was going to mention that the size and voltage of that battery looks nearly identical to the ones used in my Hubsan quad copter:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013800-REG/hubsan_h107_a24_x4_li_po_battery_3_7v.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well, alibaba is more for bulk shippers from china anyways, right? I'm also assuming they don't actually have the stock themselves sitting in a warehouse, they probably just act as a middleman from a different wholesaler or much more likely for larger orders source from the factory themselves, so a single unit means a good portion of the effort and time of a 10k+ order which is really what you are buying, right?

It's like that mixed with ebay and a little amazon tossed in. It's never my first stop, but for random electronics and components it's worth a look.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Godholio posted:

It's like that mixed with ebay and a little amazon tossed in. It's never my first stop, but for random electronics and components it's worth a look.

Ahh, ok. My only real experience with them has been trying to source parts for a project and only really getting either 100+ minimum orders or 1+ with a price range of like 0.01 - 100

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

The gps speed thing is just giving peoplr ammo if you are doing 36 in a 35 (or if, as is likely it is innaccurate).
If you are grossly speeding, that can be shown through a long process and ditto for clearly not grossly speeding. The GPS speed thing seems like a bad idea.

I've been saying that for a long time, but that's based on a layman's (low) view of the lawyers who work insurance.

I'm curious if you have any real-world examples of this happening, or something similar that illustrates that it is something that they would try?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spog posted:

I've been saying that for a long time, but that's based on a layman's (low) view of the lawyers who work insurance.

I'm curious if you have any real-world examples of this happening, or something similar that illustrates that it is something that they would try?

If you're speeding to a point that it would be a contributing factor to your fault in an accident, I imagine it would be obvious from the footage regardless of GPS speed overlay.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

In a lawsuit, there would be some issues actually introducing it as evidence. In dealing with adjusters and what not, it could make it more difficult.
Note thatcthere are states where 1 mph can mean a lot. In Minnesota, if you are speeding, you lose all ROW at intersections.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Recording GPS at this point probably won't hurt you more than anything else.. since last year all new cars were mandated to include a black box. Prior to that most cars sold in the last 10 years had it anyways.

If the vehicle is in a wreck the last 20 seconds of its life from 15 different sensors are available to whoever can plug their data scraper into your car. That should be plenty to put you away if they want to.

Police will also try to fetch your cell phone pinging off towers or ask your carrier for an activity log if they feel it's needed. Or rip your plates from toll booth cameras to estimate speed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can also just measure how long it took you to pass things in the camera's view with known sizes and calculate speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

You can also just measure how long it took you to pass things in the camera's view with known sizes and calculate speed.

Yes, you can do both those things, which cost time and money. Which will not get done unless there is a serious injury.
If you have a fender bender, which is way more likely, the dash cam showing you were doing 3mph over could actually hurt you. Further, with the exception of the black box, which is hard to access, neither of those are accurate to within 10 mph.