Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ocelot's a cool guy because he's around Big Boss-sempai and doesn't have a decades-long scheme he needs to pull off yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ugh can someone who knows how to wiki wipe out the Allison Road references on the PT page? That poo poo is annoying and those dudes need to get the gently caress out.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
The joke is that he's the exact same sadistic torturer, it's just the first time he isn't trying to sadistically torture you.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Chippita posted:

Something neat I noticed: They used the whole "goes colorblind and can't tell the difference in red and white" right in the hospital scene after Man on Fire ruins the soldiers execution of you.

Anytime you take a huge hit and almost die this happens.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nakar posted:

If you're the defender add D-Mines and Sleep Mines to this loadout and mine the poo poo out of all the approaches to the doors before you head out looking for the invader.
Whenever I try to use Sleep Mines as a defender, the NPCs running all over the base like to run into them. :/

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Chippita posted:

The fact snake does have a reflex mode is also very suspect, considering that is literally Gray Fox's shtick if he wants to survive with a sword.
I'm 99% sure this is Kojima making fanboy references considering the non-binoc zoom uses an adjusting bionic eye sound and the dash-punch with the bionic arm is literally a sound clip from The Six-Million Dollar Man. Venom is a cyborg, after all, but zooming without binocs and Reflex Mode appear to just be gameplay conceits. Particularly so since they also happen in Ground Zeroes where the player character is the regular Big Boss (and even if he somehow weren't, it's before he got any cybernetics and the same would be true of Gray Fox as of 1975).

DaveKap posted:

Whenever I try to use Sleep Mines as a defender, the NPCs running all over the base like to run into them. :/
Put them on things they won't walk over like the tops of pipes (or on pipes), near ladders, etc. Or just take the risk that the attacker will neutralize the guy who might patrol. Sleep gas mines won't hurt allied troops anyway and I think they auto-clear D-Mines when they walk past so they won't explode on you and brand you a traitor to your ally.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 14, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chippita posted:

Something neat I noticed: They used the whole "goes colorblind and can't tell the difference in red and white" right in the hospital scene after Man on Fire ruins the soldiers execution of you.

Also we never see what Intrude tape gets played. We see "Intrude N31#". It could very well be N312, which was the first attempt on Outer Heaven. By Frank Jaeger.

The twitter mentioned yellow lines in cut scenes, which can either be the shrapnel in Venom's brain, or are we playing a VR simulator?

The fact snake does have a reflex mode is also very suspect, considering that is literally Gray Fox's shtick if he wants to survive with a sword.

I'm almost certain that the N313 is confirmed in a key item description.

The game describes reflex as if being looked at by a camera that shoots in high fps. (like a real life slo-mo camera). Interesting if nothing else.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CJacobs posted:

That doesn't mean the scene is taking place right before then though. It also says "Just another day on the battlefield" or whatever so I'm assuming it's just 'sometime after the game's events'.

yeah it does because the n313 is after n312 and that was set the day before n313( solid snake) where n312 was when gray fox got captured, which now makes me think big boss sent him in to take out venom but hosed up.

edit: we do see n313 written on the tape.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It'd lend credence to the idea Venom turned on Big Boss or Big Boss abandoned him. He has no reason to actually capture Gray Fox if it's all a ruse.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Digiwizzard posted:

If you play all 5 Metal Gear games consecutively (EXCLuding peace walker and portable ops) and then reset the console twice you will be able to unlock The Good Guy.

i just did this and when it reset a peace signed flashed up and said why did you forget best game and a picture of paz in underwear. i think there is more to this.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Jim Sterling compares Kojima to Michael Bay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-FhExTY9M

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ugh can someone who knows how to wiki wipe out the Allison Road references on the PT page? That poo poo is annoying and those dudes need to get the gently caress out.

I'm still disappointed that the metal gear wikia lets people post their fanon on there

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Why do people actually listen to this guy in the year of Big Boss 2015?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aurain posted:

Why do people actually listen to this guy in the year of Big Boss 2015?

The presentation is questionable, but his points are pretty much spot-on.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

pretty sure the "ashamed of your words and deeds" was in relation to why she doesn't talk and not her outfit. kojima doesn't give a gently caress what you think of her outfit or paz's underwear or eva's cleavage pov shots.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

pretty sure the "ashamed of your words and deeds" was in relation to why she doesn't talk and not her outfit. kojima doesn't give a gently caress what you think of her outfit or paz's underwear or eva's cleavage pov shots.

That's pretty obvious since one of the first things you can do in the game is check out a nurse's cleavage

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nah. I mean, he still doesn't care, but he was totally talking about Quiet's rockin' bod.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

Although honestly her reasoning for not communicating is kind of poo poo too. I get why she doesn't SPEAK English, but why not write (I know some guards mention that she "might be illiterate" because they already tried it, but at that point she's clearly just refusing to cooperate)? Or speak though a translator via Navajo? After a while it doesn't make a lot of sense that she wouldn't make ANY attempt to communicate with VS with so many options still available.

Also why does Snake take down the pictures of her in the ACC after she leaves? She's gone but you can still keep mementos, guy.

(actually I think the reason for that is basically a dumb technical one - when she leaves the game seems to revert to the state it was at before she joined - all the UI stuff relating to her is concealed again, like the description of the Butterfly rank, and the photos are probably tied to that)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 14, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Why does he have pictures of Huey in the ACC?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why does he have pictures of Huey in the ACC?

He is okay with Huey until later. He takes down the Huey pictures after his exile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It sucks that he takes down the pictures of Quiet though. I know V's a cold guy and all of that, but Quiet was cool and she looks like Quiet.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I still have pictures of Huey (and Eli) in my ACC, having completed the game. I think the guy above was right that Quiet is removed because the game pretends you never recruited her, whereas Huey and Eli cannot be skipped and so remain in the ACC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

I still have pictures of Huey (and Eli) in my ACC, having completed the game. I think the guy above was right that Quiet is removed because the game pretends you never recruited her, whereas Huey and Eli cannot be skipped and so remain in the ACC.

Huey is gone from mine. That's weird.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

In the sense that neither of them know what the gently caress to do with a camera?

Edit: "the downright creepy, awkward, narratively inappropriate poo poo you get in every Quantic Dream farce" could describe everything in those games, not just the sex scenes. And I loving loved Fahrenheit.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah. I mean, he still doesn't care, but he was totally talking about Quiet's rockin' bod.

oh. well then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I felt ashamed of my words and deeds when I let the naked girl who wanted to bang Venom go away and die alone, in agony and wishing she could have told Venom she wanted to bang him in person.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Aurain posted:

It sucks that he takes down the pictures of Quiet though. I know V's a cold guy and all of that, but Quiet was cool and she looks like Quiet.

his pretty much wife left him man, his heart aches

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Sterling is an rear end in a top hat but he's right - Quiet could be a great character but she's fanservice personified instead. Same goes with B&B unit in 4, even with Drebin's monologues.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In the sense that neither of them know what the gently caress to do with a camera?

Edit: "the downright creepy, awkward, narratively inappropriate poo poo you get in every Quantic Dream farce" could describe everything in those games, not just the sex scenes. And I loving loved Fahrenheit.

Fahrenheit had legit one of the worst stories in gaming. Like the absolutely worst, disjointed, unfinished story with terrible dialogue and twists so stupid it melted brains. It's a loving miracle David Cage can still get any kind of budget to make games because he's terrible at making them. Both in terms of gameplay and story.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'll never lose quiet..she will stay with me forever.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

Sterling is an rear end in a top hat but he's right - Quiet could be a great character but she's fanservice personified instead. Same goes with B&B unit in 4, even with Drebin's monologues.

The thing that bugged me about them in 4 is that you get Drebin's monologues AFTER fighting them. It's like, wouldn't it have worked way better to get their tragic backstory BEFORE the fight, so the fight itself feels really conflicted and has some narrative weight rather than "Here's a boss fight. Now here's the story of their horrible life, moments after you just killed them!"

I think the thing about Kojima is he's a good director but a terrible writer. He knows how to create good moments but doesn't really know how to tie them together or how to write dialog that sounds like it's being spoken by a human being rather than an exposition machine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing that bugged me about them in 4 is that you get Drebin's monologues AFTER fighting them. It's like, wouldn't it have worked way better to get their tragic backstory BEFORE the fight, so the fight itself feels really conflicted and has some narrative weight rather than "Here's a boss fight. Now here's the story of their horrible life, moments after you just killed them!"

No different from every other mgs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a cop posted:

same

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

lets hang out posted:

No different from every other mgs

3? Both Eva and The Boss were well written.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the weird pervy stuff with quiet (like most of that stuff in the series) is 100% player controlled. the first time you see her up close she is fully clothed wanting to kill you. the 2nd time you dont get a good look because shes sniping you and the only time you get to see her like that is when you are making the decision to kill this assassin who might be working for cipher who has tried to kill you twice now or bring her back to motherbase because... why? information from someone called quiet, who you were told about who doesn't speak by ocelot a few missions/sideops ago, the outfit is designed for the male gaze of bringing the attractive skimpily clothed woman to the sausage fest known as motherbase. only then does the all the pervy stuff start.

are you ashamed of your words and deeds? maybe you should have shot her back then to save yourself from the phantom pain of her leaving permanently.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Was there any conclusion on what those weird vertical line lens flare things are? I remember reading about theories involving DNA and poo poo back when GZ was new, but nothing was explained in the game. I guess Kojima just thought it looked cool?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

the weird pervy stuff with quiet (like most of that stuff in the series) is 100% player controlled.

No, the camera is all up on that poo poo when you knock her out and throw her on the chopper. Likewise the "Quiet strips in the rain" scene is pretty goddamn oogling without any player interaction.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

No, the camera is all up on that poo poo when you knock her out and throw her on the chopper. Likewise the "Quiet strips in the rain" scene is pretty goddamn oogling without any player interaction.

yes. all after the 100% player controlled decision to kill her or bring her back.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a cop posted:

I won't scatter your tits to the heartless sand... I will always be with you.
*rubs bra on face*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

yes. all after the 100% player controlled decision to kill her or bring her back.

So? That has nothing to do with it. Even if the player isn't aware Quiet is a recruitable character from the heavy advertising the game itself still encourages you to nonlethally fight and recruit every single person you can. You can do it to the Man on Fire if you want, though it fails with him.

Trying to go "Well, it is the player's fault it is pervy because they chose to non-lethally recruit her" is dumb. Choosing to recruit a character has nothing to do with oogling their tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nice post/avtext combo.

• Locked thread