Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aethernet posted:

Apparently there's a bug in the current version where goblins can't find their way round mountains. It's meant to be fixed in the next version. I'd settle next to a tower if you want sieges for now.

That would explain 1 small attack in 10 years of play.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

If you have a single tile of sand anywhere on the map, quality serrated glass discs are so valuable it's practically cheating. Valuable to you as well as in terms of dwarfbucks, 10 of those per weapon trap is no joke.

I have an entire layer full of sand, I shall become the number one glass shuriken manufacturer in all dwarfdom then. Thanks for the help guys, next question:

I want to set up an underground farm just beside the river. It is currently winter and I have taken advantage of the frozen ice to dig out some chambers which comunicate with the river ia a tunnel 1 wide. This is on the same z level as the river bed,, the river itself is one z level deep so I have dug stairs in the ice down to the river bed then dug sideways into the bank to hollow out my farming spaces. Once the thaw comes this should then flood I think, and if I put a floodgate in the tunnel I can then close it and stop more water from getting in, but how do I empty the water that has got in? Can I wait for it to freeze and then dig it out as ice next winter, or will that not leave soil behind? I'm thinking that wouldn't work since the areas of the river bed I have exposed say that they lack mud if I try to build a farm on them, even though the tile appears as mud visually.

Presumably I could dig out another chamber of equal or greater zolume one z level down with a floodgate between and use that as a sump to empty the farms, but is there a more elegant solution than that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pharnakes posted:

I have an entire layer full of sand, I shall become the number one glass shuriken manufacturer in all dwarfdom then.
You'll want to fuel the glass furnace with magma so you can just pump out enormous amounts of glass discs. And other glass things like blocks or furniture.

EDIT: Also have you tried just planting things without flooding it? You only need to flood and drain thing that aren't soil-y in order to plant on them.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You may not actually need to irrigate, but if you do my method for getting rid of water was evaporation. Water at 1/7 evaporates, so I fill a cistern with water, seal it from the source, and then drain that into the farming area that is about seven times larger than the cistern.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

PublicOpinion posted:

You may not actually need to irrigate, but if you do my method for getting rid of water was evaporation. Water at 1/7 evaporates, so I fill a cistern with water, seal it from the source, and then drain that into the farming area that is about seven times larger than the cistern.

That's what I do as well, but I also channel out a 1-tile wide area 1 z-level below to catch any overflow, because I don't keep my ratios very precise.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pharnakes posted:

It is currently winter and I have taken advantage of the frozen ice to dig out some chambers which comunicate with the river ia a tunnel 1 wide. This is on the same z level as the river bed,, the river itself is one z level deep so I have dug stairs in the ice down to the river bed then dug sideways into the bank to hollow out my farming spaces. Once the thaw comes this should then flood I think

Congratulations in advance on drowning everyone! (possibly)

Good thinking, wrong answer. Water will fill to its maximum height in parallel z levels. So you won't have a trickle of water from the river filling your farm, you'll have about 30 seconds as river water floods in and fills the room and everything it can worm its way into.

A floodgate is a really good idea to prevent this, just work fast before the ice thaws!

In the future he's how I recommend doing it

code:
River level:
~ = Water, # = Wall, X = flood gate

~~##########
~~##########
~~#X -> To farm
~~##########
~~##########
Dig out your farm and setup a flood gate against the one remaining wall tile between it and the river. This prevents your dwarf from trapping himself on the wrong side of the gate. Set up a lever and link it to the flood gate. Then come in from above and channel ([d], [h]) the flood above the remaining wall section, this will remove that piece of floor and the wall between the water and the flood gate at no risk to your miner.

Then cycle the flood gate open/closed briefly, adjust the time you have it open such that a small wave of water washes slowly over your farm and evaporates in a puddle in the corner.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

If you have a single tile of sand anywhere on the map, quality serrated glass discs are so valuable it's practically cheating. Valuable to you as well as in terms of dwarfbucks, 10 of those per weapon trap is no joke.

When I last made some Green Glass serrated discs, they didn't show up on my weapon trap selection. :confused:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

StrangeAeon posted:

When I last made some Green Glass serrated discs, they didn't show up on my weapon trap selection. :confused:

Maybe they were tasked for being moved to/from a stockpile or in a bin someone was carrying?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Congratulations in advance on drowning everyone! (possibly)

Good thinking, wrong answer. Water will fill to its maximum height in parallel z levels. So you won't have a trickle of water from the river filling your farm, you'll have about 30 seconds as river water floods in and fills the room and everything it can worm its way into.

A floodgate is a really good idea to prevent this, just work fast before the ice thaws!

In the future he's how I recommend doing it

code:
River level:
~ = Water, # = Wall, X = flood gate

~~##########
~~##########
~~#X -> To farm
~~##########
~~##########
Dig out your farm and setup a flood gate against the one remaining wall tile between it and the river. This prevents your dwarf from trapping himself on the wrong side of the gate. Set up a lever and link it to the flood gate. Then come in from above and channel ([d], [h]) the flood above the remaining wall section, this will remove that piece of floor and the wall between the water and the flood gate at no risk to your miner.

Then cycle the flood gate open/closed briefly, adjust the time you have it open such that a small wave of water washes slowly over your farm and evaporates in a puddle in the corner.

Don't worry, I took precuations. The floodgate is in place and the whole complex does not yet connect to the rest of the fort, the only access is by climbing down the stairs in the river, and via a vertical shaft of stairs. If I really gently caress it up a worst I have a large underground cistern.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

dfhack status

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

scamtank posted:

dfhack status

Oh, like you never sleep for ~27 years at a time.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

So how many ticks is that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Personally I prefer at least 2 floodgates between my cistern and any infinite water source. Preferably with the levers in separate rooms on separate levels of the fort -- if that sounds like overkill you've never had a gremlin.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angela Christine posted:

Personally I prefer at least 2 floodgates between my cistern and any infinite water source. Preferably with the levers in separate rooms on separate levels of the fort -- if that sounds like overkill you've never had a gremlin.

Worse - a tamed gremlin. *shudders*

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I like having a sort of mantrap like setup where there's a filling room in the middle of two floodgates that are operated by the same lever but with opposite open/close status so there can never be an unending flood.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

scamtank posted:

dfhack status

Man Bronze Colossus mode is looking sick.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I like having a sort of mantrap like setup where there's a filling room in the middle of two floodgates that are operated by the same lever but with opposite open/close status so there can never be an unending flood.

Sounds like it would take forever to flood your undersea laboratory using a setup like that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Did Toady change it from levers being on/off and applying that state to a piece of equipment to levers toggling state of equipment?

It used to be when a lever was flipped it would go from "closed" to "open" and "open" would be sent to all mechanisms, regardless of previous state.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M_Gargantua posted:

Did Toady change it from levers being on/off and applying that state to a piece of equipment to levers toggling state of equipment?

It used to be when a lever was flipped it would go from "closed" to "open" and "open" would be sent to all mechanisms, regardless of previous state.

Nope it's still as it was. If a bridge is closed and you build a lever, when you flip it to closed nothing will happen and when you flip it to open again the bridge will open. If you try and use a lever to alternate things they'll just sync up.

You can get around that with memory cells and some pressure plates though. My last fort had 1 lever hooked up to a memory cell hooked up to 2 bridges, one always closed and one always open. Hitting the lever resulted in the open one closing and vice versa.

iirc the memory cell consisted of just two pressure plates behind a door. The door was hooked up to the lever and let lava in or blocked it off, and one of the plates was set to activate on 7/7 liquids and the other was set to activate on 0/7 (so it would be activated when nothing is on it). One plate to a drawbridge - when you hit the lever the lava would flow over the pressure plates and cause them to alternate which bridge is open/closed.

I copied some trap design I found on the internet that involved a memory cell with 5 states that would close off the trap room's entrances, flood it with lava, drain it of lava, open the bridges again, and reset itself ready for another group of goblins to wander in. The game lets you do cool stuff like that at least although I agree having the switches send a toggle signal instead would be amazing.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 14, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What are the diferences of doors vs flood gates? The wiki isn't quite a s explicit as I'd like, and I don't want to flood myself over the confusion. THe wiki claims that for coridoors 1 wide, doors equivalent to fllodgates and offer some advantages. So mainly my question is if I set a door to forbiden then link it to a lever, can it be opened by anything but the lever or building destroyer/lockpicking enemy?

E: also how do I get dwarfs to put bins in the stockpile I want them to put bins in, rather than any one?

E:E: I have a mechanic making mechanisms, and rather than use the plentiful slate right beside him he is traveling to use gneiss, is slate unsuitable for making mechanisms? I can't see how given that I have made mudstone mechanisms without issue. I specified the orders via j > m > q, and just asked for "rock" mechanisms, so I can't see that it could ahve been a specific order somehow.

E:E:E: he isn't even taking the closest gneiss, he's wandering half way across the fort for it, the dumbass.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 14, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

doors will open instantly when the lever is pulled

floodgates have a short delay between lever pull and floodgate action

doors can only be placed next to walls, floodgates can be free standing

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

E:E: I have a mechanic making mechanisms, and rather than use the plentiful slate right beside him he is traveling to use gneiss, is slate unsuitable for making mechanisms? I can't see how given that I have made mudstone mechanisms without issue. I specified the orders via j > m > q, and just asked for "rock" mechanisms, so I can't see that it could ahve been a specific order somehow.

E:E:E: he isn't even taking the closest gneiss, he's wandering half way across the fort for it, the dumbass.

It could be something about permissions on your stone stockpile, but usually when I see this it's because dwarves go for the closest item period, ignoring things like walls, floors, and walktimes. If a dwarf has a piece of stone one floor below him, and another two steps to his left, he'll go for the former one first, even if that means walking thousands of steps to take the stairs.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

doors can only be placed next to walls, floodgates can be free standing

won't any liquid just path around a freestanding floodgate :confused:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's more for if you have a three wide water pipe. Doors can't be placed in the middle square, floodgates can.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Excelzior posted:

won't any liquid just path around a freestanding floodgate :confused:

You could build a bunch of floodgates next to each other in order to get a sluice more than two tiles wide.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

skasion posted:

You could build a bunch of floodgates next to each other in order to get a sluice more than two tiles wide.

Yeah, but personally for cases like this I use bridges, since IIRC they have the same delay as floodgates and take fewer blocks and mechanisms for the same area. They also don't require me to special-manufacture anything, but that's a negligible advantage.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pharnakes posted:

Do you have constructions that are claiming the slate/gneiss near him? I often run into this when I'm doing above-ground constructions, since those materials are claimed forever until the construction is cancelled or they finally get dragged up by my single beleaguered mason.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reignonyourparade posted:

That's more for if you have a three wide water pipe. Doors can't be placed in the middle square, floodgates can.

Actually if you build a wall then put a door on it and deconstruct the wall the door will remain so you can get 3 tile wide doorways like that. Only works with constructed walls, though..

I do it to get fancy entrances to my dining halls.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pc8li4fuQ

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

God Tarn remains the perfect socially awkward goon. He's so honest.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

He's adorable.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Tarn cancels speech - fey mood

Obviously this means he's going to steal the chairs there and produce an update

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zombie #246 posted:

Tarn cancels speech - fey mood

Obviously this means he's going to steal the chairs there and produce an update

:perfect:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I started a new site in the end, not having any metal was just getting too tedious. My new fort is on an island, which I believe means that the only threats I need to worry about are the really fun ones. If the entrance to my fort is only 1 wide, can the large creatures still get in to it? I know trade carts need at least 3x1 to be able to path, what about a titan or other such monstrosity?

Also, RE dealing with untrappable things, I know a cave in will kill anything, but as I understand it it might destroy the body and any equipment it might have, there by preventing me from eating, smelting or using its skull as a house, which would sadden me. If I instead casue the cave in underneath it and drop it into a big pit, will it then leave all its earthly remains intact? I know in the cave in I have caused dwarfs have died but never disappeared entirely.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I started a new site in the end, not having any metal was just getting too tedious. My new fort is on an island, which I believe means that the only threats I need to worry about are the really fun ones. If the entrance to my fort is only 1 wide, can the large creatures still get in to it? I know trade carts need at least 3x1 to be able to path, what about a titan or other such monstrosity?

Also, RE dealing with untrappable things, I know a cave in will kill anything, but as I understand it it might destroy the body and any equipment it might have, there by preventing me from eating, smelting or using its skull as a house, which would sadden me. If I instead casue the cave in underneath it and drop it into a big pit, will it then leave all its earthly remains intact? I know in the cave in I have caused dwarfs have died but never disappeared entirely.

At this time creatures will have no problem pathing through a one tile entrance.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pharnakes posted:

The joy of the cave-in-beneath option is not dropping it far enough and having a crippled, furious Bronze Colossus roaring in the depths for all eternity.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure I embarked to a temperate, not arctic island, but the sea is still frozen here in the winter. Does that mean I could receive visits, friendly or otherwise apart from the dwarf caravan?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pharnakes posted:

I'm pretty sure I embarked to a temperate, not arctic island, but the sea is still frozen here in the winter. Does that mean I could receive visits, friendly or otherwise apart from the dwarf caravan?

Sadly, no.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm trying to make separate stockpiles for meat, eggs, drinks, plants and etc, but the dwarves refuse to put anything into them. If i make a general food stockpile with just p - f tho they store food there just fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? I can't see any obvious errors. I'm using the latest Lasy New Pack.

Also kinda related, how do i make a stockpile for ONLY prepared meals? Do i have to painstakingly handpick all variants of prepared food in the list, or is there a quicker way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

I'm trying to make separate stockpiles for meat, eggs, drinks, plants and etc, but the dwarves refuse to put anything into them. If i make a general food stockpile with just p - f tho they store food there just fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? I can't see any obvious errors. I'm using the latest Lasy New Pack.

Also kinda related, how do i make a stockpile for ONLY prepared meals? Do i have to painstakingly handpick all variants of prepared food in the list, or is there a quicker way?

Edit: Nevermind, figured out all the things. Allow Plant/Animal/Not Plant for the first one and press "u" for Prepared Meals for the second one.
edit2: that wasn't edit at all