Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing that bugged me about them in 4 is that you get Drebin's monologues AFTER fighting them. It's like, wouldn't it have worked way better to get their tragic backstory BEFORE the fight, so the fight itself feels really conflicted and has some narrative weight rather than "Here's a boss fight. Now here's the story of their horrible life, moments after you just killed them!"

I think the thing about Kojima is he's a good director but a terrible writer. He knows how to create good moments but doesn't really know how to tie them together or how to write dialog that sounds like it's being spoken by a human being rather than an exposition machine.

Come on guy, didn't you get the deep subtext Kojima was trying to express when one of the B&B would scream RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE every 2 minutes during the fight? In retrospect it's even more obvious. Or what about the five minute post-defeat scene of them repeatedly dying/spasms/orgasms? Does Kojima have to spell it out?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why didn't we get a chance to ogle the handsome as gently caress Fox Engine MGS3 Volgin?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vikar Jerome posted:

yes. all after the 100% player controlled decision to kill her or bring her back.

lol, you can't be serious

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So is there a way to restart your save or new game plus? I'm tempted to restart so I can keep Quiet, didn't even get a chance to use the Sniper Wolf outfit

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ekusukariba posted:

So is there a way to restart your save or new game plus? I'm tempted to restart so I can keep Quiet, didn't even get a chance to use the Sniper Wolf outfit

Nooope. Best you can do is start the whole thing over from scratch and keep the Butterfly emblem equipped for as long as possible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a mod for PC players to bring her back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quiet's outfit is fine, it's that Kojimbles can't stop making her do incredibly lewd things that is not fine. Quiet is a good, well-rounded character that has pretty good development even despite not talking, but her stripping and such still sucks because it doesn't really add anything to the game and it weirds out more people than it affects positively.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 14, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ImpAtom posted:

Huey is gone from mine. That's weird.

Yeah, Huey's on the roof. Eli is to Venom's left. There may have been more of Huey at onr point though, I can't remember.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Broken Cog posted:

GTA has traffic lights, it's completely your fault if you feel like hitting other cars and people. You're probably a sociopath if you do that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

I am like 90% certain he's trolling.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ImpAtom posted:

So? That has nothing to do with it. Even if the player isn't aware Quiet is a recruitable character from the heavy advertising the game itself still encourages you to nonlethally fight and recruit every single person you can. You can do it to the Man on Fire if you want, though it fails with him.

Trying to go "Well, it is the player's fault it is pervy because they chose to non-lethally recruit her" is dumb. Choosing to recruit a character has nothing to do with oogling their tits.

no you can use live rounds on her, i did. you still get the "do you kill her or bring her back" choice scene regardless of how you handle the fight. nothing at all like would normally recruit a person.

so yes, it is the player's fault and the player should feel ashamed of their words and deeds.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 14, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Broken Cog posted:

figure out how to read art, bro.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The good guys in the series are The Boss, Ocelot, Solid Snake, Otacon, and Raiden. Cheers to ya OP

edit: forgot Nastasha and Sunny

also eva, mei ling, olga and otacon's sister

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just like in real life, the only way to be a moral and upstanding man and not oogle breasts is to murder the woman you might oogle.

Are you ashamed yet?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

figure out how to read art, bro.

SuperMechaGodzilla will never love you back.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just like in real life, the only way to be a moral and upstanding man and not oogle breasts is to murder the woman you might oogle.

Are you ashamed yet?

brb, writing out a mra inspired kojima piece.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of mission 51 being cut does this game have any other egregious loose ends or cut content? I find it hard to believe that a 100-hour game somehow has the latter-half of the story missing, seeing as by mission 46 Skull Face is dead, Quiet is gone and Huey has been exiled, there doesn't seem to be much else story to go on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Vikar Jerome posted:

brb, writing out a mra inspired kojima piece.

Chapter 3: VAPIDE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

no you can use live rounds on her, i did. you still get the "do you kill her or bring her back" choice scene regardless of how you handle the fight. nothing at all like would normally recruit a person.

You... don't actualy get what I'm saying.

"Bring someone back to base" is the default option. You do it for enemy soldiers on a regular basis, including dudes who tried to shoot you in the face. There is no reason you'd treat this character differently. She's a sniper who tried to kill me? So were five other dudes I tranq'd and dragged back to base. She's mute? So was Silent Basilisk who managed to communicate his information none the less.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of mission 51 being cut does this game have any other egregious loose ends or cut content? I find it hard to believe that a 100-hour game somehow has the latter-half of the story missing, seeing as by mission 46 Skull Face is dead, Quiet is gone and Huey has been exiled, there doesn't seem to be much else story to go on.

The big ones are Eli and "what was Big Boss doing while you were busy?" The latter is kind of explained (making Outer Heaven) but it's still offscreen and could be fleshed out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Das Butterbrot posted:

also eva, mei ling, olga and otacon's sister

After some soul searching, I'll allow it

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Well, Eli and the Combat Kids fly off with Sahelanthropus and we just kinda hope they won't do anything lovely with it (and forget that he doesn't have it anymore by the time MGS1 rolls around.) Chapter 2 consists mainly of missions from Chapter 1 redone. There's a chapter 3 title card in the game files. Customizing your Mother Base and FOB outside of preset upgrades is totally gone (which sucks because that's what convinced me to buy the game.) There's a ton of unused Sutherland dialogue in the files. Etc...

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Kingdom of Flies was a new map that may have had some side ops, but I think that's the only substantial cut to the game. The rest of the problems feel like pacing issues in Chapter 2 (which should have been called epilogue or something and it would have helped). The game isn't "half done" or whatever. It feels like it's substantially all there, Eli's plot excepted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Well, Eli and the Combat Kids fly off with Sahelanthropus and we just kinda hope they won't do anything lovely with it (and forget that he doesn't have it anymore by the time MGS1 rolls around.) Chapter 2 consists mainly of missions from Chapter 1 redone. There's a chapter 3 title card in the game files. Customizing your Mother Base and FOB outside of preset upgrades is totally gone (which sucks because that's what convinced me to buy the game.) There's a ton of unused Sutherland dialogue in the files. Etc...

The unused Sutherland stuff is apparently mostly just filler sounds for in-game actions they decided not to use. It's really not a loose end.

Even the "Chapter 2 is mostly recycled missions" isn't necessarily cut content. Peace Walker basically recycled a ton of content too and its final chapter was unlocked by replaying missions. It's less bizarre than PP but Chapter 2 having a lot of exclusive missions even in a 'fully finished' game isn't really assured.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Just imo: it seems like that was going to be the nature of ch2 all along, they make a big deal about dealing with all the various fallout from Skull Faces poo poo, and it looked to me like there was going to be a theme about the "revenge" they took not being satisfying and in fact leading to worse problems (the rest of MGS, kingdom of flies, the quarantine thing at MB).

Sort of being haunted by a phantom baddie, while also showing how that revenge didn't get them what they wanted and turned them all into baddies too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OatmealRaisin posted:

Kingdom of Flies was a new map that may have had some side ops, but I think that's the only substantial cut to the game. The rest of the problems feel like pacing issues in Chapter 2 (which should have been called epilogue or something and it would have helped). The game isn't "half done" or whatever. It feels like it's substantially all there, Eli's plot excepted.

I think people really just wanted more out of Chapter 2 since it fires off a lot of plot stuff at once and then goes "hope you liked the game! How about trying these bonus challenges on old missions :)". You're right that there aren't really any loose ends aside from the cut Eli chapter 51 thing, but it FEELS rushed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Sterling is an rear end in a top hat but he's right - Quiet could be a great character but she's fanservice personified instead. Same goes with B&B unit in 4, even with Drebin's monologues.

Fahrenheit had legit one of the worst stories in gaming. Like the absolutely worst, disjointed, unfinished story with terrible dialogue and twists so stupid it melted brains. It's a loving miracle David Cage can still get any kind of budget to make games because he's terrible at making them. Both in terms of gameplay and story.

The first few scenes were really good I thought. When it was just a low key psychological horror. Then it turned into....something else.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You... don't actualy get what I'm saying.

"Bring someone back to base" is the default option. You do it for enemy soldiers on a regular basis, including dudes who tried to shoot you in the face. There is no reason you'd treat this character differently. She's a sniper who tried to kill me? So were five other dudes I tranq'd and dragged back to base. She's mute? So was Silent Basilisk who managed to communicate his information none the less.

No, i get you. Really, i do get what you're saying. You're right, but so am i and thats the beauty of video game storytelling, player decision being entirely up to the player. You might bring regular soldiers back to base who tried to shoot you. I don't. I only fulton ones who didn't know i was there after performing consecutive cqc. I murder the ones who tried to shoot me because i don't want that kind of negativity in Diamond Dogs.

I only brought Quiet back because Ocelot told me to and if he told me to jump off a bridge, i would.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 14, 2015

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think people really just wanted more out of Chapter 2 since it fires off a lot of plot stuff at once and then goes "hope you liked the game! How about trying these bonus challenges on old missions :)". You're right that there aren't really any loose ends aside from the cut Eli chapter 51 thing, but it FEELS rushed.

Yeah, the pacing of the third act is way off. Especially within the mission structure of the game where you go into your helicopter and hey here's the mission that explains everything! I liked all of the plot beats in Chapter 2, I just wish they were connected better.

I really liked the old mission remixes too. Except the Subsistence missions. Subsistence should be a toggle for every mission, not limited to two at the end :mad:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Do you need a toggle for some part of subsist? Cant you toss on olive drab and just get dropped off with nothing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

I only brought quiet back because ocelot told me to and if he told me to jump off a bridge, i would.

To be honest this is actually why I did it too. I was gonna shoot her just to see if the game will let you because I already knew Quiet is not very plot-relevant, but Miller was acting like a giant baby about it and I am not gonna pass up the chance to shovel poo poo in his face.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There just needed to be more to connect the threads in chapter 2.

We go from Quiet to being entirely selfless to tortured and it makes enough sense in the end, but why isn't there a scene saying precisely why they're going to do it? Why isn't there a scene of the kids escaping? Why don't we see Huey skulking around the quarantine deck? Why doesn't Skull Face ask who else has such lust for other things? Why isn't there any buildup or any real reaction to mission 46. Like Venom going a bit crazy and not seeing things straight or being generally confused by things.

That leak before hand where they said we go back to re-do ground zeroes as it really happened was a better idea for the reveal. Frame it as Venom demanding to know the whole truth about the crash when his psychotherapy slips and he figures out that he's not BB or something. Why are XOF still active? Why exactly is Volgin moving around, tell us in a cutscene instead. Flesh out Tretij Rebenok much, much more. Actually have someone say his drat name in the game even.

Sally Anne Thropus going AWOL is such a glaring omission that it's not worth mentioning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Do you need a toggle for some part of subsist? Cant you toss on olive drab and just get dropped off with nothing?

I think Subsist also changes enemy layouts slightly so they have equipment you can use to finish missions.

Aurain posted:

We go from Quiet to being entirely selfless to tortured and it makes enough sense in the end, but why isn't there a scene saying precisely why they're going to do it?

There is. They explain it in the scene she's tortured in. After she got injured they were doing medical treatment on her and found the same flowers from Boss's hospital room in her lungs.

Aurain posted:

Why don't we see Huey skulking around the quarantine deck? .

We get a report on it. Huey even writes it off as normal radiation leakage.

Aurain posted:

Why are XOF still active? Why exactly is Volgin moving around, tell us in a cutscene instead.

This is fair but it doesn't bother me because in the old Metal Gear games this is exactly something that would be explained in a codec call, not a cutscene.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 14, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You can't go without a hip weapon. The closes you can get is the rank 1 AK.

I think the same is true for the pistol slot but I never tried it.
I hope someone mods in a subsistence version for everything as long as it doesn't make the mission uncompleteable.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah you can self-impose it but there's no way to go into the field without a rifle and a pistol. You can sort of work around it by just equipping an empty item slot until you find a weapon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
drat, he's right then, that should be a toggle.

I hope gz goes on sale sometime. I had it on 360 but im playing on ps4 now :( i want that mgs1 snake.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I think the only plot thing I havent had cleared up is: why are kid mantis and XOF fighting at the hospital? They're definitely both working for skull face at that point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think Subsist also changes enemy layouts slightly so they have equipment you can use to finish missions.

There is. They explain it in the scene she's tortured in. After she got injured they were doing medical treatment on her and found the same flowers from Boss's hospital room in her lungs.

No, I get that, it's why I said it makes sense in the end, there just should have been a scene where Kaz and Ocelot see this and put two and two together first and ask Snake if he remembers it. You could tie that into the reveal too, have him misremember things or things he shouldn't. It's just weird to go from saving the necklace to torture when there should be a step to contextualise properly there.

Give her the scans>Find the petals, ask Boss what to do next>Torture her.

And like, sure, the Huey thing in the tapes makes sense too, but it's like it's missing a step or two. They can show him fitting the gear and being cagey and then provide us with him lying later on.

Chapter 1 isn't teeming with story but we do see some that sheds light. The Quiet stabbing that guys teeth scene is a good example of it. Chapter 2 needed more scenes like that where they lead into something, rather than eyes on Kazuhira which is a total throwaway scene.

I guess the only thing to take away from eyes on Kazuhira is that Code Talker having the same parasite Quiet has is probably how he gets on the tower on the command platform with his wheelchair that you can see when you fly off base.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think the only plot thing I havent had cleared up is: why are kid mantis and XOF fighting at the hospital? They're definitely both working for skull face at that point.

You can see who's in control of him at any given point by how he looks. He has fire hands when Volgin is, a horn when Venom is (you see this before the fire whale), his eyes are kind of darkened and visible when skully is and he has a red beret when Eli is. I imagine that Volgin being so mad means he's forcing Mantis to kill dudes who are actually on his side? That or perhaps he links up with XOF immediately after that when Skully sees that poo poo and wants in?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 14, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, I don't really agree with that. It feels to me like it would be over-explaining things. You already have foreshadowing for both events and they're explained with the context of those events so it feels like it'd be a bit over-explaining to include even more. While Metal Gear loves to over-explain it also is willing to just address things as they come and I don't think that particular stuff is missing.

I mean if you add a scene where Ocelot and Miller look at Quiet's medical reports and their eyes go wide and they talk about what they realized, it doesn't actually add anything that isn't provided in the scene itself.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

ImpAtom posted:

I may have zoned out during one of the millions of cassettes but was that the first time they made the connection that Quiet was the XOF assassin who attacked Venom in Cyprus? Did Venom just not recognize her face when he encounters her again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I may have zoned out during one of the millions of cassettes but was that the first time they made the connection that Quiet was the XOF assassin who attacked Venom in Cyprus? Did Venom just not recognize her face when he encounters her again?

It's the first time, yeah. I can only assume Venom Boss spent all his time staring at her breasts and he was the only one with any way to recognize her face. (She did also have a different hairstyle to be fair, I guess!)

Aurain posted:

You can see who's in control of him at any given point by how he looks. He has fire hands when Volgin is, a horn when Venom is (you see this before the fire whale), his eyes are kind of darkened and visible when skully is and he has a red beret when Eli is.

This is really cool and I never noticed. :psyduck:

• Locked thread