Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Generic Octopus posted:

It's called 13th Age. It's not for everyone and it's not the best game, but it's a better 5e than 5e.

I want tactical combat and stuff just simpler than 4e like give the fighter a couple of useful combat abilities and useful noncombat abilities make spells less all powerful make feats big and important but only give people a max of like 5 and make the book readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Elfgames posted:

I want tactical combat and stuff just simpler than 4e like give the fighter a couple of useful combat abilities and useful noncombat abilities make spells less all powerful make feats big and important but only give people a max of like 5 and make the book readable.

I'd stay away from 13th Age then, and suggest you check out Strike!

http://www.strikerpg.com/

Built from the ground up as "I like 4e, but it's got entirely too much cruft."

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kurieg posted:

Because things like this aren't important enough to put in their errata documents or even making it onto their website.

What Mike Mearls, Lead Designer of Dungeons and Dragons(TM) Fifth Edition, had to say on the subject contradicts what the Sage Advice Article had to say, i.e. that you have to stow your weapon or shield in order to cast. What Mike Mearls is saying is that it's more like leaning your sword on your shoulder as in the two-handed Paladin example as opposed to having to fully put your shield or weapon away that turn.

And again, makes most of the War Caster feat worthless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And all war caster does is make it so the melee buff classes can actually be melee buff classes. Because the concentration rules in 5e are idiotic.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Does the warlock's hex give disadvantage to attacks if they get made with the ability score chosen?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Nope, ability checks are not attacks or saves.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

djw175 posted:

Does the warlock's hex give disadvantage to attacks if they get made with the ability score chosen?

No, because it gives disadvantage to checks. Attack rolls and saving throws are their own type of rolls, they are not checks.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

I'd stay away from 13th Age then, and suggest you check out Strike!

http://www.strikerpg.com/

Built from the ground up as "I like 4e, but it's got entirely too much cruft."

No 13th age is closer to what i want i just want something with the same level of care but slightly different

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
To balance wizards out, I have homebrewed that a wizard can only use two schools of magic. No one has picked wizard yet because of these restrictions but, I am curious how it will play out tbh.

Has anyone done something along these lines to make the wizards less of a one man army.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Take Necromancy as one of your schools. Skeletons solve all problems!

I am totally going to run a game in a setting with a skeleton economy sometime, for reals.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Esser-Z posted:

I am totally going to run a game in a setting with a skeleton economy sometime, for reals.

i would not be disappointed if a player decided to do this.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
also in this game i saw someone mention a game or variance of a game where each player gets about 6 characters that they run through a dungeon and basically suppose to be a meat grinder for the most part. Anyone have any idea what this game is? I marathoned most of this and totally forgot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Smash it Smash hit posted:

also in this game i saw someone mention a game or variance of a game where each player gets about 6 characters that they run through a dungeon and basically suppose to be a meat grinder for the most part. Anyone have any idea what this game is? I marathoned most of this and totally forgot.

That'd be Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games, and that's basically how it handles character creation, each person makes 3-8 Zero Level schmucks with no class and barely any items and then puts them through a meat grinder of an adventure and whoever lives goes on to become a Level One Classed Character and generally has a much better survival chance(due to DCC having only 10 levels and front loading most of the "Crap Farming Peasant" aspects into Zero Level, a 1st Level character in DCC is more like a 3rd to 5th level character in most other games of the D&D sort), although plenty of horrible things can still happen to characters later on(like a Wizard accidentally blowing himself up with a miscast spell, or a Cleric pissing off his god and getting smited for it, or even the Warrior making a critical fumble and chopping his own head off and that's just things a PC can do to themselves)

DCC is in my opinion one of the best D&D variants available on the market right now, as it both has really good rules and a lot of Official, 3rd Party, and Fan product support, it's also one of the most beautiful RPG books I've ever seen that wasn't some special limited edition(although DCC does have several of those as well), like seriously it's almost Coffee Table Book levels of looking good

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Esser-Z posted:

My friend and I have spent the past couple months homebrewing and running campaigns based on fantasy Colombian contact era South America. Both the Aztec and Afro-carribian inspired cultures each have their own version of a skeleton economy and it's been fun actually building out the implications. Also when the visiting lawful good PC paladin is warned ahead of time about the skeletons working the docks but decides to smite the first one he sees anyway. Then getting arrested and charged with desecration. Now he's been sentenced to involuntary labor with the adventurer's guild until he can afford to make restitution to the family who's ancestor's remains he smote.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

My friend and I have spent the past couple months homebrewing and running campaigns based on fantasy Colombian contact era South America. Both the Aztec and Afro-carribian inspired cultures each have their own version of a skeleton economy and it's been fun actually building out the implications. Also when the visiting lawful good PC paladin is warned ahead of time about the skeletons working the docks but decides to smite the first one he sees anyway. Then getting arrested and charged with desecration. Now he's been sentenced to involuntary labor with the adventurer's guild until he can afford to make restitution to the family who's ancestor's remains he smote.

That is unironically rad as hell.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

This really makes me want to put something like this in to my game.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Necromancy/Conjuration is still outstanding under those circumstances. You still get the suite of narrative breaking spells that are wish, plane shift, teleport and dimension door, you get to set up a clone inside of your own personal demiplane, and during combat you can just throw undead and conjured elementals at the problem until it dies of exhaustion.

You don't get to make two whole weapon attacks every turn though, so I can see how that would seem unreasonable.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

So, uh, everyone is ready to buy the PHB2 right?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

I want to play.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ritorix posted:

If it's actually full of new interesting poo poo showing the lessons they learned from the past year? Yes.

If it's a collection of edge case rules and class fixes hidden behind dm may I bull poo poo? No.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

ritorix posted:

Would definitely buy a MM2, PHB2 and the expansion on existing classes. My group tends to stick to homebrew campaigns so I've always been pretty indifferent to buying campaign books though.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 14, 2015

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ritorix posted:

"The Ranger article had more people talking than we've had in months? Time to fire up the presses!" :v:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ritorix posted:

It mentions 4e, so nobody will vote for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If they add even just one more Maneuver to the Battle Master, I'll eat my hat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

If they add even just one more Maneuver to the Battle Master, I'll eat my hat.

"A book of new options for existing classes, like Complete Warrior or Martial Power." My royal Irish rear end.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:thumbsup: :laffo: that the only one with a specific edition mentioned, and that the most contentious edition, is the one that would be most contentious itself and the most work to do, and even more work to do well. Don't loving drink out of that well, goddamn.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ritorix posted:

I'll take the tiles please. They've been good in the past.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What classes would a PHB2 even have? Looking at the 4e PHBs, the ones not represented are: Warlord, Avenger, Invoker, Shaman, Warden, Ardent, Battlemind, Psion, Runepriest, Seeker.

The Warlord is another "I'll eat my hat moment", and the others are either arguably already covered by existing class archetypes or are so new to D&D that I doubt they'd want/need to bring them back.

I guess they could start delving into 3rd Ed splat?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Considering the garbage coherency and specificity of existing class archetypes, I could see them filling a book with just a bunch of martial trash sprinkled with wizard goodies. Don't like the beast aspects provided for barbarians? Here's a badger aspect. It's like bear, but instead of carrying capacity you get +2 damage. Want a wizard school focused on demon servitors? Here you go, it's like Necromancy school except you summon dretches! That's balanced, right?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Mostly psionics, I'd guess. They might fit some other "unpopular" D&D concepts in there as well, keep them all contained to one single book so people can fine-tune their campaigns as they please or simply choose to keep it vanilla by excluding it. I'm thinking of gunpowder, oriental ninja/samurai stuff, a non-magical alchemy and science guy, etc.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

What all was in the 3.5 PHB2? Part of me says "look there first" when it comes to a theoretical 5e PHB2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. The Beguiler, the Dragon Shaman, the Duskblade and the Knight were introduced as new classes
2. Different class packages for the base/PHB1 classes
3. New feats
4. New spells
5. Backgrounds
6. Teamwork Benefits
7. Faction affiliations
8. Character retraining/rebuilding rules
9. Quick PC and NPC creation

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
creative uses for acrobatics: GO!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Would I break anything if I changed 5e initiative back to the simple OSR style? (eg, essentially a coin flip each round to determine if PCs or monsters go first) the init bonuses seem small enough not to matter anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Running up the huge animated statue's spear so you can piss on his face.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The duskblade was really fun, and the beguiler was okay, though it had a very specific build that was super good around subdual damage and coup de gras.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Showing off to whomever (smugglers by doing a backflip from a tightrope, locals by doing the old run on top of a barrel then spin off) in order to break tension and/or get laid.

I've always thought of acrobatics as mostly useless in combat but fantastic for social situations. Even the combat things I've done with it (leaping down stairs while pursuing someone) was better suited for a jump check.
Then again I think of acrobatics as real life stuff I see my friend do at a gymnastics gym, the same guy has gotten past stage one of ninja warrior so I figure that's a good comparison to peak ability.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 15, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Uneven bars flips off tree branches to kick a dinosaur in the face.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Luring an enemy into striking their nearby pal by contorting out of the way when they attack. You'd probably have to beat their attack result but it's worked for me in the past :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Overcoming the advantage of a flying enemy. Scrambling through a tree and then launching off the branches to hit a harpy in the head with a hammer.

Using the environment to cover more ground or bypass obstacles. Swing across a chasm on a rope instead of plodding across the bridge like an idiot.

Slipping into a sniper's nest that your foes can't reach without ranged attacks.

Surfing your wizard down a mountain like Mad Martigan on a shield, but on a wizard and not a shield.