Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Home school them on a boat? Lookit this guy over here who doesn't know about Breaker High.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

hi this made me lol for real

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Pick posted:

chapter 2 please

Pretty much just read this: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/goofus-gallant-rashomon

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

i was listening to this when i scrolled past this image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_vLO6tBRL0

so no, i guess

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

No steamy romance, 0/10

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

just find+replace your favorite gay sex story.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

quote:

Think of your relationship as a threesome with Christ at the center
"if Jesus has not made his second coming yet, your pastor can fill in for the role"

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

SnowblindFatal posted:

"if Jesus has not made his second coming yet, your pastor can fill in for the role"

If Jesus has his second coming before we have our first, he's not invited back.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

OP I was wondering if these books said anything about appropriate careers or suggestions for work in life? I can just see them advocating for pastorship/proselytizing/missionary work and rejecting scientific or academic careers. Is there anything like this?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
I distinctly recall that Being A Good Wife is the best any woman can aspire to. So, marrying a senator was a commonly cited goal for the girls in my homeschool group.

for guys, being a Pastor or Missionary, or a Godly Politician.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Here's a fun clip from the film that shows religious home school kids learning science. Pro click imho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH_wPUVlJ38

Kid with the bad ponytail doesn't seem like he really buys it. Cool kid, maybe.

e. And why doesn't God ever want these women to exercise? Is it because it's hard or something?

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 14, 2015

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

KnifeWrench posted:

If Jesus has his second coming before we have our first, he's not invited back.

Dude's got a 2000+ year refractory period, I don't think it's going to be much of an issue.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

every time i see the good music boy i just think of kanye

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Lil Peeler posted:

OP I was wondering if these books said anything about appropriate careers or suggestions for work in life? I can just see them advocating for pastorship/proselytizing/missionary work and rejecting scientific or academic careers. Is there anything like this?

There is a brief section on career paths where they list possible jobs fields:

There are a few paragraphs later that delve more into mission work and jobs where you learn as you go (like chef work, factory work, retail). But that's about it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Toriori posted:

is homeschooling always this religious?? I was seriously under the idea that homeschooling was for people who wanted their child to learn in a way that isn't as restrictive to public schools.

I'd say the majority of it probably is at this point because of Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christian paranoia ramping up the demand for the homeschooling books. I have come across some homeschoolers who are doing it for either 'Live off the Grid/Stick it to the Man", "Don't want Big Government turning my kid into a Corporate Drone", and "Pagan Persecution" reasons. Last homeschooled I shared a college class with always had to bring up she was homeschooled because of pagan beliefs, she had trouble putting together a basic paragraph and doing any assignments that weren't handled on a computer.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

English, history, science, Bible, economics

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

where do esports fit into gods plan????

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.
Religious poo poo aside, can we admit that they're trying really hard to educate those fuckers? Cpr career goals social and physical hygiene. This poo poo is comprehensive. Bet my internet they have a great intro to finances section

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Jesus is lord and he invokes the right of prima nocta

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

phuqueyoo posted:

Religious poo poo aside, can we admit that they're trying really hard to educate those fuckers? Cpr career goals social and physical hygiene. This poo poo is comprehensive. Bet my internet they have a great intro to finances section

They actually do have a financial section. They even have a "how to hold a parliamentary meeting" chapter at the very back of the book. It's really the only textbook anyone needs ever.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Are there any goons (or people goons know) who were homeschooled for purely academic and not ideological/religious reasons? Are they as horribly maladjusted as the religiously homeschooled?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

21 might be a bit awkward if you don't think global warming is real/the earth is 6000 years old. Good thing they didn't list geology or paleontology.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Are there any goons (or people goons know) who were homeschooled for purely academic and not ideological/religious reasons? Are they as horribly maladjusted as the religiously homeschooled?

Of the couple of homeschooled people I have met, none were homeschooled for religious reasons. And only one was slightly maladjusted, the rest were fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ghosthorse posted:

21 might be a bit awkward if you don't think global warming is real/the earth is 6000 years old. Good thing they didn't list geology or paleontology.

I work in forestry, and work closely with a guy who is a young earth creationist. We just don't talk about it, and it seems to work out just fine.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

cheetah7071 posted:

I work in forestry, and work closely with a guy who is a young earth creationist. We just don't talk about it, and it seems to work out just fine.

Not real surprising honestly, people who are naturally inclined to miss the forest for the trees don't really have to change their beliefs on the forest if the trees they're looking at right now aren't burning down. It only gets awkward when their tress start burning down and they ask about where the fire came from.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Toriori posted:

is homeschooling always this religious?? I was seriously under the idea that homeschooling was for people who wanted their child to learn in a way that isn't as restrictive to public schools.
No:

So about two-thirds cite religious instruction as one reason, but only 16% cite it as the most important one.

My wife and I have considered homeschooling our son. If we end up in a school district with good public schools I imagine we won't, but if we did we'd be very careful to provide plenty of opportunities for socializing.

Really I think the reason so many homeschooled kids end up messed up socially is because of the religious/scared-of-the-outside-world bent of the parents. Plus you have to figure in it's not like kids who did go to public school don't have their fair share of weirdos. For example, I went to public school and I didn't even go on a date until I was 22 because I was a socially inept King Nerd.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 15, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mdm posted:

dude with the brown hair knows how to party

He kinda looks like Butt-Head

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

P-Mack posted:

Someone I went to college with was homeschooled so he could be free to pursue his own interests and complete work at his own pace. He's very smart, but you can kind of tell by looking at him and sometimes from how he acts that he wasn't heavily socialized as a child. He dresses kind of awkwardly and wears his hair in a particularly nerdy style. He's also very introverted and if you make rude jokes or commit petty crimes in his presence he gets very offended.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wouldn't like it if you committed petty crimes in my presence either.

I mean, Jesus, just try to dream big for once in your life.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

El_Elegante posted:

I wouldn't like it if you committed petty crimes in my presence either.

I mean, Jesus, just try to dream big for once in your life.

also for gods sake put my ashtray back I saw you take it

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

P-Mack posted:

I've actually never met religiously motivated homeschool kids. I know some that started out homeschooled and transitioned to public school, and vice versa. I can say without a doubt the ones that started in public school were much more socially adjusted.

I also knew a bunch of kids that grew up in a hippy community that had their own school. Classes were optional and most of them spent their time hitting each other with sticks. It comes as no surprise that by the time they joined public schools they couldn't really do basic math or write/spell worth a poo poo. Socially, it was a mix of normal kids and weirdos, so I guess it's not as bad as it could be.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
they are right, the best thing to do on a first date is discuss politics and religion :angel:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

where do esports fit into gods plan????

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

AWarmBody posted:

There is a brief section on career paths where they lost possible jobs fields:

There are a few paragraphs later that delve more into mission work and jobs where you learn as you go (like chef work, factory work, retail). But that's about it.

Surprisingly devoid of religious rhetoric.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I had a coworker who was homeschooled in super rural Canada with her 4 sisters... then she joined the military fresh out of school.
Social interactions were painfully awkward. We lolled at her misery.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Male Tears posted:

Someone I went to college with was homeschooled so he could be free to pursue his own interests and complete work at his own pace. He's very smart, but you can kind of tell by looking at him and sometimes from how he acts that he wasn't heavily socialized as a child. He dresses kind of awkwardly and wears his hair in a particularly nerdy style. He's also very introverted and if you make rude jokes or commit petty crimes in his presence he gets very offended.

What types of petty crime and how exactly would he respond to them?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

It is pretty nontraditional to make up 5 factorial percent of something

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

It is pretty nontraditional to make up 5 factorial percent of something

yeah, and some of those reasons have exponents on them, what the hell??????

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

many johnnys posted:

yeah, and some of those reasons have exponents on them, what the hell??????

You did notice the legend at the bottom that said 'interpret data with caution', right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Furia posted:

You did notice the legend at the bottom that said 'interpret data with caution', right?

Yes, of course I am aware of that. My post was a "joke" based on the post I quoted.

• Locked thread