Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Forgall posted:

Sometimes it's a lich, and the book is surprisingly good.

How the hell do you have sex with a lich. They have no fleshy parts!

I'm going to regret asking this, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Liches are cool but skeletons are cooler. Polish up dem bones.

What I'm saying is are there any good or even not entirely poo poo skeleton-based paranormal romances. Skeleton-skeleton preferred. Just a whole bunch of skeletons, making terrible jokes and going on romantic dates in the crypt.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Anyone can be a lich if they've got a phylactery, right? Walking skeletons not mandatory.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Forgall posted:

Sometimes it's a lich, and the book is surprisingly good.

No, but seriously, what book is that.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone can be a lich if they've got a phylactery, right? Walking skeletons not mandatory.

One lich one soul jar

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Patrick Spens posted:

No, but seriously, what book is that.
Deathless

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I got nothing against anyone's genre preferences but it saddens me when I search dark fantasy or horror in hopes of getting a more spooky flavor and it always comes up paranormal romance / whatever you want to call it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just bought this for my Kindle:

I'm almost afraid to start it, because this is it. The last novel, the last story set in this fantastic world. I feel like when I finish it, I'll be leaving that whole world behind me.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Ah, I should get around to reading it too. I'm a huge Discworld fan but Raising Steam was rough. I re-read Feet of Clay and Witches Abroad and it's so hard not to make comparisons.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Ah, I should get around to reading it too. I'm a huge Discworld fan but Raising Steam was rough. I re-read Feet of Clay and Witches Abroad and it's so hard not to make comparisons.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the Moist Von Lipwig novels, and this one was probably the weakest of the three. Much more a fan when the focus is on Vimes or the Witches.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the Moist Von Lipwig novels, and this one was probably the weakest of the three. Much more a fan when the focus is on Vimes or the Witches.
Snuff wasn't that good either.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Yeah, I'm happy to think of Discworld as ending with Unseen Academicals.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Snuff wasn't that good either.

I like it better than Going Postal. I think it took a few more chapters than usual for Pratchett to get his feet on the ground for Snuff, but once it gathered momentum I thought it was pretty good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RoboCicero posted:

Ah, I should get around to reading it too. I'm a huge Discworld fan but Raising Steam was rough.

The Shepherds Crown is better. Failure to tear up is punishable by death, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's called 'boning' for a reason.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Max answered in a recent AMA.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what freaks me out more, that the question was asked by Django Wexler or that Gladstone is a fan of Oglaf.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

This is an excellent book and everyone should read it.

And then read everything else Catherynne Valente has written, starting with The Orphan's Tales because that is what more fantasy could be.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Liches are high level spell casters and tend to have access to polymorph and/or transformation spells. :rolldice:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Finally started reading Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. I'm not much of a fantasy guy outside of Pratchett and Gothic Lit, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I get a feeling that his work is responsable for a lot of the lore behind stuff like warhammer and morrowind.

I love the literal metaphysics of alternate worlds and soul reincarnation etc. Lots of beautiful hero-incarnates having sick adventures while being dramatically melancholic. The in your face social/traditional system critique thing isn't bothering me too much, as I guess I agree with it.

I've smashed through the first 3 books in an evening each. I can see Elric getting boring if he is just all powerful the whole way through, but it's a fun ride. Which other Moorcock should I get lined up after these? Does he ever write a female protagonist? Any other fantasy that has similar metaphysics?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

field balm posted:

Finally started reading Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. I'm not much of a fantasy guy outside of Pratchett and Gothic Lit, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I get a feeling that his work is responsable for a lot of the lore behind stuff like warhammer and morrowind.

I love the literal metaphysics of alternate worlds and soul reincarnation etc. Lots of beautiful hero-incarnates having sick adventures while being dramatically melancholic. The in your face social/traditional system critique thing isn't bothering me too much, as I guess I agree with it.

I've smashed through the first 3 books in an evening each. I can see Elric getting boring if he is just all powerful the whole way through, but it's a fun ride. Which other Moorcock should I get lined up after these? Does he ever write a female protagonist? Any other fantasy that has similar metaphysics?

Elric is the most popular of his Eternal Champions.

There's the Prince Corum series
The Hawkmoon books
Kane of Old Mars
Von Bek
Jerry Cornelius

That's what I'm remembering off the top of my head as there's quite a few more. The Eternal Champion/Multiverse is a big theme with him. He's a prolific writer, just those I listed I think are probably more than 25 books. You used to be able to find omnibus editions of each "hero" containing three or four of the novels. I know Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum were broken up into two volumes each. Kane is the most swashbuckling and the Hawkmoon books are a bit darker, but still escape the nihilism of some of his other champions. I liked the Corum novels a lot as well.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jedit posted:

The Shepherds Crown is better. Failure to tear up is punishable by death, though.

Based on the content of the book or the fact that it is his last book? Cause the second is compulsory.
Still can't believe he is dead and it will feel weird to read the final book from an author, whose books you have read and loved the last 25 years.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

Based on the content of the book or the fact that it is his last book? Cause the second is compulsory.
I swear, if it turns out he killed Granny Weatherwax, I'll have some very stern words with his shade come the afterlife.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

coffeetable posted:

Yeah, I'm happy to think of Discworld as ending with Unseen Academicals.

Unseen Academicals is probably the worst Discworld book though.

FlowerPattern
Aug 10, 2015

field balm posted:

I couldn't get past the first few pages of the first book. But the series gets really fun and interesting? Darn it. Guess I have to try reading it again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FlowerPattern posted:

I couldn't get past the first few pages of the first book. But the series gets really fun and interesting? Darn it. Guess I have to try reading it again.
Elric is... weird in that regard. It's got a lot of really fresh ideas but if you can't stand the protagonist's character there's probably no reason to bother, he doesn't exactly evolve. I think the whole angsty hero thing was original back then but now it's something you enjoy the books in spite of.
Moonglum is still great, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FlowerPattern posted:

It does get better and more interesting than the opening sections. I remember Elric as being too over the top in the beginning, but the stories improving. It took a while though, not like after the first 5 pages or anything. I wouldn't say "really fun and interesting," really, but good enough to be worth reading.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Battuta, Tor just gave you one hell of a blowjob. Eagerly awaiting tomorrow the 24th! :toot:

Though I'm pissed that the Yanks are getting that cool crumbling face/mask cover while us Brits have to settle for some boring fire/shield thing.

boooooooooooo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Battuta I'm sorry your novel got replaced with a historical fiction thriller in the UK :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I liked the cover they did for the ARCs a lot. I understand what they're doing — Tor UK seems confident that the UK market responds better to 'crossover' books, so they like to dress titles up in mainstream disguises.

I do love that Irene Gallo/Sam Weber cover though :allears:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Battuta, Tor just gave you one hell of a blowjob. Eagerly awaiting tomorrow the 24th! :toot:

The crack about Destiny was low.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Though I'm pissed that the Yanks are getting that cool crumbling face/mask cover while us Brits have to settle for some boring fire/shield thing.

boooooooooooo

That review is what convinced me to buy the book day of release, because all the Tor reviews I've trusted so far haven't let me down. Can't wait for tomorrow!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kesper North posted:

Especially because everyone likes the parts of Destiny I wrote :( I'm proud of that dumb Grimoire and all those items!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You personally made Tyrion sound like he was reading washing instructions, confirm/deny

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Blindsight really is as good as it was hyped up to be.

I wasn't expecting that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Especially because everyone likes the parts of Destiny I wrote :( I'm proud of that dumb Grimoire and all those items!

You can set the record straight at your Hugo acceptance speech. :sun:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Library at Mount Char is OK but the characters are all terrible and annoying.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kesper North posted:

Not necessarily inaccurate (about Destiny) though. I don't know what part of the Destiny writing Battuta was involved with but the writing that actually made it into the game was underwhelming at best. Maybe there's volumes of back story that we'll see someday and make me go wow, and certainly some of the hints of the complexity of the world are interesting. :shrug:

I don't want to take away from the book being published! The story looks pretty drat interesting and I'm going to have to buy a copy. Congrats Battuta, I'm sure you're excited!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I worked on item descriptions and the Grimoire fiction companion. The script was already locked down by the time I joined the company.

Rough Lobster posted:

Library at Mount Char is OK but the characters are all terrible and annoying.

I thought the same at first but in the back half of the book I came around to a lot of them, since I started to understand exactly what had happened to them. The protagonist in particular is about eight times more interesting than her lovely early scenes suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Speaking of General Battuta, Amazon just oviposited your book onto my hard drive! I will read it shortly.