Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Skunkrocker posted:

A. There was no paperwork, even though I asked for it several times. They just didn't have a good filing system, so there is very little in the way of paperwork. These people are just loving terrible. The difference between this complex and the one I live in now is that the first time maintance showed up in our new apartment to fix something we had to sign a work order. In the old apartment they'd just come in, "fix" the problem, and leave.
If something like this happens in the future, check in with the local landlord/tenant association to see what they can help with.

quote:

C. I only mentioned it because of my concern if I try to take this to court they'll bring all of that up. I wasn't charged for any of that, but I thought I would be. The fact I got charged for this other poo poo (the roach cleanout, the garbage removal, the broken window) that wasn't true (no roaches, no garbage, no broken window) is what I'm pissed about.
Since you only have the word of your friend, I wouldn't say your odds are great. I would bet money they have paperwork on every single time they were in contact with you, including their threat to evict.

Always:
Read your lease thoroughly before signing and keep it somewhere safe.
Take extensive pictures during the walk through of an apartment you're going to sign a lease on
Take extensive pictures the day you hand the keys in upon move out
Keep both sets of pictures for a while, just in case
If you pay your rent online, print or save a pdf copy of the confirmation. If you pay by money order, make a copy of it and save the stubs. I actually had a money order lost in the mail and without the stub there was no way to get my money back.
Maybe not necessary, but I also keep every piece of important correspondence in a file cabinet. Stuff like inspection notices, work orders, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If anything, you are in a better position because they're not keeping your deposit. You're not in a bad spot, I just don't know how to advise you at this point.

My gut feel (this is not legal advice, just musings) is that most people they rent to are low-means, and not collectible, and they bill you $300 when you leave just to see if you'll pay. When you skip out, they give up.

If they serve you, answer, and appear. IMHO if they say "you owe us" and you say "I don't". it's he-says/she-says and you part ways. If they're nefarious (or you're lying) and they have evidence, you're sunk. Otherwise, you're home free.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What if they just send it off to a debt collector and your credit gets tanked?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
gently caress it, I'm just going to pay them off and make sure to let everyone I possibly can know never to rent from them or any properties their company controls. This whole loving thing has been a goddamn mess and I just want it to be over.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

isndl posted:

What if they just send it off to a debt collector and your credit gets tanked?
WIthout a judgement, that seems unlikely.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, I know right? These fuckers knew I was new to apartment renting. I've become a lot more skeptical.
I'm not sure which one of us is missing something. It benefits you that they didn't get a deposit. It benefits you that they aren't holding your money.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

photomikey posted:

WIthout a judgement, that seems unlikely.
You don't need to have a judgement against you for a company to send you to collections over debt. :confused:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Skunkrocker, refresh my memory here but after your roomies got kicked out, weren't you also given a notice by the landlord/property management that you needed to clean up your place or they'd evict, then you were asking us if you could just tell them gently caress off and leave early since you weren't going to be told to clean or concerned about your rental history/evictions because you already found a place? The thread advised you it was still in your best interest to not get evicted and you said you'd clean the place before you left.

Yeah I'm sure you left that place in the condition you got it in, everything was in working condition, and it isn't some Roach infested hell hole. I also believe as you do that they saw some new renter and decided they could screw you over, and you have only ever been in the right with them.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Skunkrocker, refresh my memory here but after your roomies got kicked out, weren't you also given a notice by the landlord/property management that you needed to clean up your place or they'd evict, then you were asking us if you could just tell them gently caress off and leave early since you weren't going to be told to clean or concerned about your rental history/evictions because you already found a place? The thread advised you it was still in your best interest to not get evicted and you said you'd clean the place before you left.

Yeah I'm sure you left that place in the condition you got it in, everything was in working condition, and it isn't some Roach infested hell hole. I also believe as you do that they saw some new renter and decided they could screw you over, and you have only ever been in the right with them.

When I said clean I loving meant scrubbing down the sinks and toilets and vaccuming and poo poo which I did. I'll be honest, it probably wasn't better than I got it with the scuff marks on the wall and paint damage, but it wasn't as you said a roach infested hell hole. What is your problem?

Edit: I also pointed out those "clean up your apartment" notices were bull poo poo anyway; the apartment wasn't trashed, not even in the slightest.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 11, 2015

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I totally did not put together that this was the same guy who has the weird roommate "discrimination" story.

Yes, you're probably better off paying the tab and moving on.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

There wasn't a deposit. Just a one time security fee of like 80 bucks that I wouldn't get back.

I feel like even if they tried to call it something else, thats still the deposit, and Im not sure about every state but in California its illegal to label any part of the deposit as "non-refundable".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It may be one of those situations where where it's easier to just pay up and move on with your life, but you're in a weird situation no matter what. Do you have a written lease? What does it say? Even my last apartments crummy single page lease included stuff about the deposit in it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

When I said clean I loving meant scrubbing down the sinks and toilets and vaccuming and poo poo which I did. I'll be honest, it probably wasn't better than I got it with the scuff marks on the wall and paint damage, but it wasn't as you said a roach infested hell hole. What is your problem?

Edit: I also pointed out those "clean up your apartment" notices were bull poo poo anyway; the apartment wasn't trashed, not even in the slightest.

You came in originally claiming discrimination, and then that fell apart when it came out that your roomies were not on the lease.
You got a notice that they didn't think you were keeping the place clean, you come in here asking 'whats the worse they can do if I do nothing, I'm on my way out'
You get hit on the move out for having some broke junk and a dirty place, and want to know how to fight the bullshit they are trying to pull on a completely innocent nice tenant like yourself.

Each time youve come in here youve come seeking advice and support and thus far each time its come out that you are kind of the bad tenant and people call you on it. I am just saying you don't come off as being very credible here again, so I think its more than likely your Landlord/Property mgmt group is just going about this normally as they should. Pay them.

KoB posted:

I feel like even if they tried to call it something else, thats still the deposit, and Im not sure about every state but in California its illegal to label any part of the deposit as "non-refundable".

Not true. They can call it anything they want, its just not enforceable, and yes there is no such thing as an un-refundable deposit in California. Its really something you can't argue up front though because they will just rent to the guy who doesnt complain. Its a fight you gotta do on the way out if you care to. But I've seen the 'un-refundable deposit' plenty of times.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 11, 2015

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Oh yeah no, I went back and checked over the lease and it's totally legit. So, yeah, at this point I'm in total agreement to just pay the 175 and consider it an rear end in a top hat tax to never have to deal with these mother fuckers ever again.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

You came in originally claiming discrimination, and then that fell apart when it came out that your roomies were not on the lease.
You got a notice that they didn't think you were keeping the place clean, you come in here asking 'whats the worse they can do if I do nothing, I'm on my way out'
A. Oh wow how many loving times do I have to explain that... you know, yeah, I hosed up and didn't read the lease fully, or very little at all, and it was stupid to just sign it but I was extremely niave. That said the complex had NO PROBLEM with them being there for six months. They knew they were there. They knew they moved in. Other tennants have people living with them not on the lease and they don't care. The only difference was my roommates were gay. So I have to assume that was the reason.
B. Again, the apartment wasn't trashed. At all. Like I don't get where they kept saying it was, it wasn't like I was a horder or something. There wasn't a mess to clean.
C. My question was literally about how with the rent fully paid up, no other lease violations literally other than the "clutter" bullshit they sent me that wasn't true, the move out notice being served, and with how by the time an eviction went to court how I would literally already have been moved out what the loving point of threatening an eviction in the first place was.

I don't know what I did to piss you off, but whatever it is I'm sorry. God drat...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You sound like a loving child.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

B. Again, the apartment wasn't trashed. At all. Like I don't get where they kept saying it was, it wasn't like I was a horder or something. There wasn't a mess to clean.

Skunkrocker posted:

Things I THOUGHT I would get charged for, and wasn't:

- Damage to paint in one of the bedrooms
- Damage to the floor in the living room
- Scuff marks
- Busted rear end fridge they refused to fix
- Garbage disposal that worked when I moved in, suddenly broke, and we haven't be able to get to work since and they refused to fix.
- Carpet cleaning. I don't own a steam cleaner.

And thats ignoring the contested items on the move out:
- 25 dollars for garbage removal.
- 150 dollars for a broken window.
- 100 dollars for roach cleanout.

BTW: I don't think most people own steam cleaners who rent apartments. You pay someone else or you rent one.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

The damage to paint in one of the bedrooms was a spot about one inch square in area caused by a "easy to remove" adhesive strip that wasn't that easy to remove and pulled a chunk of paint off the wall. The damage to the floor in the living room was about two inches square in area and was caused by a couch with metal legs being on a linoleum floor, which apparently you're not supposed to do. The scuff marks on the walls were from moving things in and out and it's not like the walls were covered in them; they were concentrated in the hallway, in one specific spot, where it was hard to move things around because the wall was right outside of a door. As far as the broken appliances, how is that our fault and how does that imply I trashed the apartment? The fridge broke. We didn't break it. Same with the garbage disposal, it broke almost as soon as I moved in and they wouldn't fix it after I asked them several times and I only used it once, and I didn't even put garbage in it. The carpets were vacuumed, but there weren't any stains or anything. What the hell is your problem, pal? Why do you assume that I'm lying about anything here? Seriously, you act like my honest questions and advice seeking here is trying to pull some loving con. Like there is no reason for any of this dickish behavior out of you.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
People have told you to fight it, how to fight it and if you can fight it, and you've just given up. Take everything you've written here, put it in an email or a letter to the property manager who is charging you this money and send it off instead of continuing to post in here. There. Actual advice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You should post more that might help.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Maybe a stupid question but any recommendations for a good cheap comforter? I have a summer weight one, but Its gonna start getting cold around here shortly.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

IKEA stuff worked pretty well for me and didn't break the bank but I'm not sure how cold of a winter you're looking at.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Denver in a relatively chilly townhouse, I'm probably gonna hit up IKEA need a new side table anyway.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
IKEA sells duvets in a set that snaps together so when it gets real cold you can double up and when it's not stupid cold but you still want a comforter you can take one out and have a single layer.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

IKEA sells duvets in a set that snaps together so when it gets real cold you can double up and when it's not stupid cold but you still want a comforter you can take one out and have a single layer.

Also recommending IKEA duvets. They have a four point (I think? Might be more) rating system with very clear explanations of what sort of temps each tier can handle. I'm a naturally super cold person living in New England with massive windows in a rehabbed mill building and two IKEA duvets keep me snug all year. I bought one of the highest rating and one of the second-to-lowest, and in the Spring/Fall I can use just the lighter one very happily. Further, they have the cheapest non-hideous duvet covers I have ever found, including places like TJ Maxx/Homegoods.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

RCarr posted:

Can you get renters insurance on an illegal apartment? I'm guessing no.

I'm glad that worked out for you but I just wanted to write this in case anyone had a similar question. You can get renters insurance in an unregistered/illegal apartment. There are a few different parts. Liability covers you if someone sues you, personal property covers your belongings, and living expenses covers a hotel or rent in case your home burns down or what have you. There are certain policy limits for things like expensive electronics or currency that require a rider for extra coverage. If you can't afford to replace all of your belongings, cover living costs in an emergency, please get renters insurance.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CeramicPig posted:

I'm looking into buying a condo, I found one that I really liked and I'm going to seriously start making moves on it; I'm sure the answer is a resounding "YES. ALWAYS." But I just want an extra opinion, would I need a house inspection for a condo? I planned on doing one but I just didn't know if I was being superfluous

I just bought a condo. I was waffling on the inspection and paid $325 for it. The electric heater in the living room wasn't working properly and the sellers replaced it with a new one. That saved me at least $500. It is worth it for the peace of mind even if they don't find anything.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Also recommending IKEA duvets. They have a four point (I think? Might be more) rating system with very clear explanations of what sort of temps each tier can handle. I'm a naturally super cold person living in New England with massive windows in a rehabbed mill building and two IKEA duvets keep me snug all year. I bought one of the highest rating and one of the second-to-lowest, and in the Spring/Fall I can use just the lighter one very happily. Further, they have the cheapest non-hideous duvet covers I have ever found, including places like TJ Maxx/Homegoods.

I just have a (cheap) light comforter and a heavy duvet cover and take out the comforter during the summer.

I've been really happy with this (queen size bed): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E03X00U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The apartment that I moved in to recently has most of the electrical outlets wired to light switches. The bad thing, however, is that they're all more or less on the same switch i.e. one light switch enables outlets on both sides of my living room. Same thing with my bedroom, only one switch present and that affects 2/3 of the outlets in the room. I also don't really have any built in lighting and will be relying entirely on lamps. The layouts I've come up with are really inconvenient with that in mind because I can't use the switch to turn a lamp on/off without also doing something like disabling my router or shutting down my entertainment center.

It's really inconvenient to walk around the room in order to turn various lamps on, especially if it's dark and I can't just flip a switch at the entrance to a room. Does anyone have any ideas for solutions? I feel like I'll have to leave the switch on at all times and use remotes or something but I don't know how other people may have dealt with this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Silly thing, but have you checked that both the top and bottom of the outlets are switched? I've often seen that with switched outlets, only one of the outlets is switched but the other is always on.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Is it possible to refinish a bathtub? The one in my slum of a lovely apartment is gross and it needs it badly, I miss taking baths so much! Is this something I can do myself in like a day with some effort? It was like this when I moved in, I've tried cleaning it (I'm a neat freak) but to no avail.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Teeter posted:

The apartment that I moved in to recently has most of the electrical outlets wired to light switches. The bad thing, however, is that they're all more or less on the same switch i.e. one light switch enables outlets on both sides of my living room. Same thing with my bedroom, only one switch present and that affects 2/3 of the outlets in the room. I also don't really have any built in lighting and will be relying entirely on lamps. The layouts I've come up with are really inconvenient with that in mind because I can't use the switch to turn a lamp on/off without also doing something like disabling my router or shutting down my entertainment center.

It's really inconvenient to walk around the room in order to turn various lamps on, especially if it's dark and I can't just flip a switch at the entrance to a room. Does anyone have any ideas for solutions? I feel like I'll have to leave the switch on at all times and use remotes or something but I don't know how other people may have dealt with this.

You can buy moveable light switches that operate remotely. They're also hella cheap. I'm sure you can set up several to work with a single switch if you want

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Drunk Tomato posted:

You can buy moveable light switches that operate remotely. They're also hella cheap. I'm sure you can set up several to work with a single switch if you want

Have a name or a link? Googling came up with Avi-on, which seems like a pretty sweet solution because I can control everything from my phone, I just wouldn't call it "hella cheap" because it's $50 per outlet and would easily be a few hundred by the time I did the whole apartment.

e:

FISHMANPET posted:

Silly thing, but have you checked that both the top and bottom of the outlets are switched? I've often seen that with switched outlets, only one of the outlets is switched but the other is always on.

Gonna try this as well. I'm not sure that I ever thought to when I did my initial run through

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 14, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is it possible to refinish a bathtub? The one in my slum of a lovely apartment is gross and it needs it badly, I miss taking baths so much! Is this something I can do myself in like a day with some effort? It was like this when I moved in, I've tried cleaning it (I'm a neat freak) but to no avail.

There are ways to refinish a tub. The kinda crummy complex my mom was in for a little while did it for her tub (twice, even though she told them it was already done). I have no idea what it costs or even if it's something you could DIY. Depending on management you could see if they would pay for some or all of it.

I Googled tub refinishing and this is a local company that does it describing their process: http://thetubguys.net/our-process.html
Looks complex and expensive. I also saw some product I could buy for $100 but no idea how that works.

So, it's "possible" but feasible is a whole other thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Teeter posted:

Have a name or a link? Googling came up with Avi-on, which seems like a pretty sweet solution because I can control everything from my phone, I just wouldn't call it "hella cheap" because it's $50 per outlet and would easily be a few hundred by the time I did the whole apartment.

I bought a wireless switch (but never ended up installing it) because I needed to "move" a switch, but the company that made mine also makes this:
http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-...60_SR160%2C160_

And the related products are all similar, so that should give you a direction.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Teeter posted:

I use these to control the lighting in my apartment.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Programmable-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

FISHMANPET posted:

I bought a wireless switch (but never ended up installing it) because I needed to "move" a switch, but the company that made mine also makes this:
http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-...60_SR160%2C160_

And the related products are all similar, so that should give you a direction.

This looks very similar to what I have. I just attached it to the wall with Velcro, and... Ta dah!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

This is often the case when one switch operates multiple outlets. When a switch operates only one outlet, it's less common. If that doesn't work, it's likely that it was true at one time, but when someone replaced the outlets, they did it wrong, so the switched (or unswitched) feed is capped off and shoved in the box (or worse, not capped off and shoved in the box), so if you poke around in there you may be able to un-gently caress it.

If none of that is true, leaving the switch on and (carefully) entering the room to turn on a lamp isn't the worst thing in the world. I've done it (for years on end) and after a few days you really get used to it, and it doesn't seem odd at all.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Your bathtub is made of porcelain coated steel. You can write on it with a permanent marker and it'll wipe right off. Spray paint, caulk, glue... nothing sticks to it. The tub refinishing epoxy is wicked stuff, and it'll make the hairs in your nose curl.

There are DIY kits that don't work very well ($~100) There are professionals that do it somewhat better ($~300). It always starts to wear off after a year or so. I actually have a tub that is 2.5 years in and not wearing off yet, so I suppose it's possible to have it done and not wear off.

If you can stomach bathing in it, and it's clean, just do it. If you can't, and you wrote "bathtub's hosed up" on your move-in sheet, and you have $100 to burn - what do you have to lose?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there any general consensus on landlord live-in apartments? By which I mean landlords who just convert the top floor of a multi-family home into "apartments" or whatever while they take up the bottom floor. It kind of seems sketchy to me, but I'm new to this and places like that make up the vast majority of living space where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oxxidation posted:

Is there any general consensus on landlord live-in apartments? By which I mean landlords who just convert the top floor of a multi-family home into "apartments" or whatever while they take up the bottom floor. It kind of seems sketchy to me, but I'm new to this and places like that make up the vast majority of living space where I am.

This is my apartment, except I have the bottom floor and the Landlord took the top floor.

ymmv but it's working fine for me, which is pretty good considering how common it is where I am.

My landlord gave me a loving enormous squash out of his garden yesterday for no reason, he's a nice old man with too much time on his hands :3:. It works out because he treats me more like a neighbor that I occasionally give money to than a tenant. I could see how it can be miserable though so it probably comes down to the luck of the draw.