Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

Is there an old version of twitter I can get that doesn't show "promoted tweets" or any way to block them?

Not that I've found. Using a 3rd party client is the only way I've found to avoid the promoted tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any sort of jailbreak tweak that allows you to make phonecalls from a PC using your iPhone?

Sort of what Continuity does on OS X, I guess.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Does anyone know of a tweak that will let me use an http proxy over cellular data on the fly, like you can with Wifi? I've seen instructions about downloading an Apple Profile Manager program to your computer and loading an XML of some sort to the phone so any data goes through the proxy, but I'd like something that I can toggle on and off.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Are there any tweaks or apps that allow you to archive texts? I know they're included in comprehensive backups but there's no way to access them individually.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

JHomer722 posted:

Are there any tweaks or apps that allow you to archive texts? I know they're included in comprehensive backups but there's no way to access them individually.

Messages2PDF works pretty well for me. Not free, though.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Ezrem posted:

Messages2PDF works pretty well for me. Not free, though.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Is there anyway to save recordings on Facebook Messenger?

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Not exactly jailbreak related, but wondered if maybe some of you have dealt with this before: I wanted to jailbreak my 5c (also on 8.4) before the 8.4 signing window closes just in case because I'm becoming accustomed to how my jb iPad functions at this point. I've got to restore the phone because I've been doing ota updates. I'm getting the firmware not compatible error, but it's absolutely the correct firmware for the device.

Edit: "absolutely the correct firmware" was probably wrong. Having not jailbroken it yet I had no idea Verizon was using the GSM firmware rather than CDMA. Downloading now, off to work, hoping the signing window remains open this evening.

Mastodon Henley fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 21, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hi guys
I am no stranger to jailbreaking but I've been off that scene for a
Little while...

I want to JB strictly to get my Dualshock4 working as a controller for certain games.

A couple questions if you don't mind my asking.

1) iPad Air (1) 8.4. It sounds like I can jailbreak. Taig? Windows... Is there a Mac version?

2) is controllers4all still the go-to? I want it to "just work". (So much so I was/am considering a MFI controller.)

Thanks!

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Feenix posted:

Hi guys
I am no stranger to jailbreaking but I've been off that scene for a
Little while...

I want to JB strictly to get my Dualshock4 working as a controller for certain games.

A couple questions if you don't mind my asking.

1) iPad Air (1) 8.4. It sounds like I can jailbreak. Taig? Windows... Is there a Mac version?

2) is controllers4all still the go-to? I want it to "just work". (So much so I was/am considering a MFI controller.)

Thanks!

1) Controllers4all seems to still be the go-to, but the results seem to vary wildly with how it plays nice with libstatusbar depending on other tweaks installed, etc. I'm not using it though so ymmv.

2) PPJailbreak for Mac

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word, thanks son! <3

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I downloaded the right IPSW (8.4 for iPad Air 5th Gen Wifi) and when I tried to Alt-Restore it and point to that file now it is in the "Connect to iTunes screen" (Recovery mode.) and it said I could not use that device isn't eligible for the selected build.

Any thoughts?

My only allowed option is to do a restore and update to 8.4.1 :\

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Feenix posted:

So I downloaded the right IPSW (8.4 for iPad Air 5th Gen Wifi) and when I tried to Alt-Restore it and point to that file now it is in the "Connect to iTunes screen" (Recovery mode.) and it said I could not use that device isn't eligible for the selected build.

Any thoughts?

My only allowed option is to do a restore and update to 8.4.1 :\

Signing window for 8.4 is now closed. It's 8.4.1 or bust.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok. Simple answer then... I cannot jailbreak. (Unless/until a newer JB comes out.

Thanks. :)

Edit: I was on 8.4 but the instructions said if I had done OTA it wouldn't work.

No way to get out of recovery mode without updating, eh?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Feenix posted:

Ok. Simple answer then... I cannot jailbreak. (Unless/until a newer JB comes out.

Thanks. :)

Edit: I was on 8.4 but the instructions said if I had done OTA it wouldn't work.

No way to get out of recovery mode without updating, eh?

To get out of recovery mode, with your iDevice plugged into your computer, press and hold the power button and home button until the device reboots and the apple logo pops up, then let go of the buttons.

Edit: the whole "jailbreak software doesn't work with OTA-installed iOS" is so hit or miss. Sometimes it works without a hitch, other times it craps all over itself requiring a restore.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just prompts me to plug into iTunes again. :\

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
There is a recovery fix software that was bundled into one of the old jailbreak tools. The name escapes me, but you'll be able to find it in Google or something.

OTA should still be good for a Jailbreak, just make sure you back you're phone up before hand, just in case.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Recboot? I literally just found it. Trying it soon. Thanks!

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Recboot or tinyumbrella. I've had both work and both not in the past.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Recboot did me up! Thanks!

When I unzip the PP app for mac (to jailbreak) it says the app cannot be opened on this computer. Odd. No idea what thats all about?

[edit] Redownloaded elsewhere. it opened.[edit2] Yeah I guess I cannot jailbreak. It didn't do it and if I try again it says error with device please reboot and try again. Must be the OTA nature of 8.4

Thanks anyway, guys. :(

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 23, 2015

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Feenix posted:

Recboot did me up! Thanks!

When I unzip the PP app for mac (to jailbreak) it says the app cannot be opened on this computer. Odd. No idea what thats all about?

[edit] Redownloaded elsewhere. it opened.[edit2] Yeah I guess I cannot jailbreak. It didn't do it and if I try again it says error with device please reboot and try again. Must be the OTA nature of 8.4

Thanks anyway, guys. :(

Make sure you turned on airplane mode, turned off passcode/touch id/find iPhone…

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ezrem posted:

Make sure you turned on airplane mode, turned off passcode/touch id/find iPhone…

Did/did/did. Good tips though! :)

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
I updated my iphone from 7.x.x to 8.4.1 and did the downgrade to 8.4 and I got the "Iphone Unlocked" message in Itunes, was not expecting that but I hope its true.

So my question is, is there a current way to get around using facebook messenger on 8.4?

Sorry if its already been asked.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Rabite posted:

I updated my iphone from 7.x.x to 8.4.1 and did the downgrade to 8.4 and I got the "Iphone Unlocked" message in Itunes, was not expecting that but I hope its true.

So my question is, is there a current way to get around using facebook messenger on 8.4?

Sorry if its already been asked.

Look into Facebook ++ in Cydia. I believe it works with the most current version of the Facebook app to allow you to use the old Chat Heads for messaging.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah, Facebook++ is what I'm using. Has a few (seemingly) random crashes, but at least I can send messages through it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There also used to be a thing where you could start installing messages,and then pause it, and FB app would for some reason allow you to use messenger. May have been fixed.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Been ages since I've jailbroken and I've kinda kept my phone on v7 just in case. If I update now to what seems to be the latest version, 8.4.1 am I boned? Is that downgrade to 8.4 mentioned still possible?

Or would I be better off to try and jailbreak at 7 as is now and just wait to update? I'm starting to see a lot of apps require 8.x so Im thinking I should probably update and just wait for a new jailbreak if 8.4.1 can't be done.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Yeah, your only option to upgrade to at the moment is 8.4.1 (or 9.0) which isn't jailbreakable. You could jailbreak on 7 now and wait until the next jailbreak is released (probably for iOS 9) to upgrade and jailbreak then.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I ordered a 6S to replace my jailbroken 5, and will be giving the 5 to my wife to replace her even older phone. Is there any way to clear the phone off for her and get a new SIM in it without losing the jailbreak?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Klungar posted:

I ordered a 6S to replace my jailbroken 5, and will be giving the 5 to my wife to replace her even older phone. Is there any way to clear the phone off for her and get a new SIM in it without losing the jailbreak?

Cydia Impactor. It restores your phone to complete stock, keeps you on whatever iOS you're on, and removes jailbreak. It also has the added effect of repairing any corrupt/damaged files in your iOS if you have any.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Poala Bear posted:

Cydia Impactor. It restores your phone to complete stock, keeps you on whatever iOS you're on, and removes jailbreak. It also has the added effect of repairing any corrupt/damaged files in your iOS if you have any.

He wants to keep the jailbreak..

Klungar posted:

Semi-Restore should do what you want. If you're familiar with iOS directories and unix commands you could do it all manually.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

spongeworthy posted:

As long as it keeps him on the same IOS version he could re-jailbreak straight away.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

~Coxy posted:

As long as it keeps him on the same IOS version he could re-jailbreak straight away.

True, I guess you could do that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Poala Bear posted:

Do you know what repo this is in? Not showing up in a search.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

Cydia Impactor works differently than Semi-Restore in that it is a true "Restore to Stock" option but keeps him on the same iOS (which is no longer possible through iTunes). Cydia Impactor uses the firmware archives provided by Apple for its "over the air" update feature to restore your phone as well as repair any corrupted files. That way the phone is a clean slate for his wife and if there is any issue with the phone it's her fault and not his :)

~Coxy posted:

Exactly. Plus, he'll be able to use the most recent and stable jailbreak tool compared to the tools that were first released when 8.1.2 jailbreak was released to the public.

Klungar posted:

Do you know what repo this is in? Not showing up in a search.

Search for "Cydia Impactor", not just "Impactor". It's in Saurik's repo (a default repo that you cannot delete). If you want to keep anything from the iPhone, make sure you transfer pictures/apps/notes/whatever or make a back up before you run Cydia Impactor. Once you start it, there's no turning back.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

I've got an old iphone 5 running 8.1.1. Just for kicks I was looking into jailbreaking it. I realize there's no ios 9 jailbreak yet so updating the phone will do no good. But, I've also been unable to find a way to do it without running 8.3 or newer, which I don't think is possible for me to get now. Is it possible to still jailbreak 8.1.1? Or am I just out of luck?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

skinner posted:

I've got an old iphone 5 running 8.1.1. Just for kicks I was looking into jailbreaking it. I realize there's no ios 9 jailbreak yet so updating the phone will do no good. But, I've also been unable to find a way to do it without running 8.3 or newer, which I don't think is possible for me to get now. Is it possible to still jailbreak 8.1.1? Or am I just out of luck?

From my understanding, none of the current jailbreak tools work with 8.1.1 anymore.

However, there's a dev who is supposedly releasing a jailbreak for 8.4.1 very soon. So if you want to jailbreak your iphone 5, you can download the IPSW from here and Shift+Click to restore to this firmware and not iOS 9.0.1 (which there is currently no jailbreak for). Then you will just have to wait until the 8.4.1 jailbreak tool is released.

I suggest going to Reddit's Jailbreak subreddit to find more up to date info.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

Great, thanks for that info. I'll keep my eye out.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

I need a jail broken iOS for something. (GPS hackery)

I have an iPhone 4 currently running 6.0 or a 4s running 8.4.1.

Can 6.x still be jailbroken? Seem to be a lot of dead links now. Maybe I could upgrade it to 7.1.2, the last supported version on iPhone 4? Or is a 8.4.1 JB on its way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

oversteer posted:

I need a jail broken iOS for something. (GPS hackery)

I have an iPhone 4 currently running 6.0 or a 4s running 8.4.1.

Can 6.x still be jailbroken? Seem to be a lot of dead links now. Maybe I could upgrade it to 7.1.2, the last supported version on iPhone 4? Or is a 8.4.1 JB on its way?

iPhone 4, 7.1.2 can be jailbroken. Look in one of the reddit jailbreak subreddits for a live link. Most likely you'll find it in /r/LegacyJailbreak.

8.4.1 is technically out..... But there's no .exe currently available and requires doing command line and SSH stuff. Know that it's Prtty much it's in the works and only a matter of time and available resources before its made available to the mass public.

Also, Apple stopped signing 8.4.1, so if you have to upgrade your phone for whatever reason, you have to upgrade to 9.0.2 (which there has been zero mention of any jailbreak in the works). You cannot downgrade to 8.4.1 (or any other lower iOS) any more.

I just noticed you said you have an iPhone 4S. I remember reading about a recently released took that allows you to downgrade your 4S (but not your 4) to 6.1.3 I believe. But you need to have saved your blobs via TinyUmbrella or something. You'll find more info on /r/Jailbreak as well.

• Locked thread