Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

neogeo0823 posted:

We don't? It's literally Gmail, dressed up to look like a company thing. Like, I have an email address that's firstinitiallastname@company.com, but it's all handled as Gmail.
If you're on Google Apps, there might be a way to feed a Google Apps Script into your signature block, but

evol262 posted:

That's not always enabled by the org admin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

A ticket came in...

Client thinks we're trying to exploit them with Heartbleed. Forwards us an IDS email letting them know it auto-blocked that IP, which is indeed one of ours.

I'm about 99% sure this is a misconfigured IDS that just doesn't understand how SSL works. Oh well, I'm out the door for a vacation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I had more :words: in there originally, but felt like I should shift-home-backspace ninja-edit and collect my thoughts proper. The very short version is "a single-chain-of-posts forums board is the worst way to have online discussions, except for all the other others", and your original analogy of "3 threads with 10 updates each" vs "1 thread with 30 updates" assumes that the person in the former case would always have sufficient time to catch up with all three threads, where the reality is more likely to be (especially during work hours) that said person has time to pick and choose one of the threads to catch up and contribute to.

To :spergin: a bit, though:

In one thread, sanely, you can have maybe two threads of discussion via quotes, not including interjections, before things get really hard to follow; and since the topics in question are basically invitations to have interjections, you basically (currently) get a couple dozen posts max before the thread of discussion gets lost in a new topic. In combining the topics of "Specific tickets and technical issues", "I hate my boss", and "How do I get a better job", you're significantly decreasing the signal/noise ratio from the merging alone-- if you combined the posts of the current three threads by timestamp and tried to follow the conversations contained in them, you'd probably give yourself a massive headache.

In reality, though, it's worse than that. If you have, for example, A Thing That Pisses You Off, and you see that there's 10 new posts in the STPMO thread, you're probably going to read those 10 posts, and if you have something to say about a previous post, include a quote attached to your new interjection. If you go to the General IT thread and see there's 30-50 new posts, you're more likely to completely ignore the existing topic and just dump your new noise into the mix, to either become the new topic or be ignored entirely by people discussing the existing topic.

Additionally, for the same reason as above, you're more likely to actually be able to take part in a discussion if you have 5 spare minutes on the shitter when you select one of the threads to catch up on with 5 new posts, as opposed to trying to catch up with 30 new posts right that second.

For example, discussions literally like this one would probably not be able to happen in a combined thread, because by the time I hit submit on this, 10 new posts would have been submitted to it.

You had more to say on this subject? Wow. :cripes:

Yes, splitting the same topic into 3 threads gives folks who want to participate in the majority of the topics but don't have a ton of free time a better opportunity to participate. Still doesn't change the fact that the majority of the time its all the same topic in 3 separate threads of the same subforum. Other subforums seem to have popular, fast moving threads and don't feel the need to split them up. Bizarre that it is this one that chooses to do it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Keep them separate. I don't read the other ones. Keeping them separate let's you be more discerning.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Pretty sure we had this discussion already, and equally sure that the majority favored the multiple threads. So, y'know, could we not do this again?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ilkhan posted:

Keep them separate. I don't read the other ones. Keeping them separate let's you be more discerning.

Exactly this, and this is the reason they ended up de-merged.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah, I don't read the Piss thread because it makes me all irritated and I don't like that. This thread is a bit more chill.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Storysmith posted:

A ticket came in...

Client thinks we're trying to exploit them with Heartbleed. Forwards us an IDS email letting them know it auto-blocked that IP, which is indeed one of ours.

I'm about 99% sure this is a misconfigured IDS that just doesn't understand how SSL works. Oh well, I'm out the door for a vacation.

Presumably if they are your client then you have access to stuff inside their network anyway, in which case you're doing a lovely job of trying to exploit them by bouncing off the firewall (that you may have also configured).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gilok posted:

Yeah, I don't read the Piss thread because it makes me all irritated and I don't like that. This thread is a bit more chill.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't read this thread; I just post in it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Renegret posted:

Sorry I got sidetracked, I picked up a Buffalo NAS to backup the entire SA forums.

This Office Basic package should work for everyone right? It's super cheap and we can just reuse the key on all the PCs, it says "unlimited installs" right on the box

larchesdanrew posted:

We had a series of power outages at work this weekend due to some strong storms passing through. The generator never kicked in because it's hosed up and supervisor was supposed to have it fixed last year. Guess what he never did?

Due to the power outages, I have a ticket queue a mile long over malfunctioning equipment and dead battery backups.

It's going to be 70 and sunny tomorrow for the first time since April. I'm taking a personal day under the guise of taking my kid to a doctor checkup in a neighboring city, and wouldn't you know, it's gonna take all day. I've also made sure to send a list of all issues to supervisor and CC'd the GM.

I'm an rear end in a top hat but I'm gonna be on my lawnmower drinking beer all day, so gently caress everyone.

See you all Tuesday!

loving YES, can't wait to see the fallout from this one :allears: also with the CYA email, be careful, the fact that you knew the generator was hosed up could bite you (as in, your CE most likely blames you for not reminding/helping him or some dumb bullshit). Long shot, but better safe than sorry.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 14, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Volmarias posted:

That's a funny way to pronounce "reindeer"

You are both wrong, it's larchesdanrew so clearly it would be a buffalo strapped to a dynamo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
years from now Larchesdanrew is at his new job and he has to take a business trip to Buffalo, NY

he starts twitching and convulsing and foaming at the mouth and nobody knows why

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rhymenoserous posted:

You are both wrong, it's larchesdanrew so clearly it would be a buffalo strapped to a dynamo.

DELIVERY FOR LARCHESDANREW

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ozz81 posted:

This Office Basic package should work for everyone right? It's super cheap and we can just reuse the key on all the PCs, it says "unlimited installs" right on the box

Don't bother, I know a guy who can hook us up for free.

In other news, one of our vendors today totally poo poo the bed. Our customers were calling in saying they can't access any of their services. Their official Twitter account made a statement saying they were down hard and working to fix it. When I called their customer support hotline, I got an IVR message stating that they were having a global outage, and that they're aware and working on the issue.

Apparently this isn't good enough for my manager to say that it's the vendor's issue and not ours. Sorry I have to sit on their generic customer service queue as the 200th person in line because the SOP you write is 10 years old, and the direct contacts we have in there to escalate to don't actually work for that vendor anymore.

...please stop asking for updates I'm only 69th in the queue.

e: okay I just spoke to Peter, the call center slave in not India who said they have an outage. I'm glad that was good enough.

e2: and lord knows, their updates via Twitter are loving fantastic. They said they'll provide an update every 15 minutes, and every 15 minutes they're updating. Better updates than we give to our customers, that's for sure. My company would never in a million years consider giving that much detail to our customers regarding an outage.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 14, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ozz81 posted:

loving YES, can't wait to see the fallout from this one :allears: also with the CYA email, be careful, the fact that you knew the generator was hosed up could bite you (as in, your CE most likely blames you for not reminding/helping him or some dumb bullshit). Long shot, but better safe than sorry.

Except every indication is that the CE is well known for being obstructive and never helping him/giving him the tools he needs to do Things, so how could he possibly have access to (whatever would be needed to fix the thing)?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

President Ark posted:

Except every indication is that the CE is well known for being obstructive and never helping him/giving him the tools he needs to do Things, so how could he possibly have access to (whatever would be needed to fix the thing)?

After all the CE horror stories and GM/CE being buddies, do you really think either one of them won't jump at the chance to throw Larches under the bus? Trust me, it sounds like if there's ANY way to shift blame, the CE will find it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Why yall gotta trigger me on my day off.

It was awesome, by the way. My first personal day in two years. The pleasure at hitting IGNORE on my phone while sipping summer shandy cannot be understated.

Ozz81 posted:

After all the CE horror stories and GM/CE being buddies, do you really think either one of them won't jump at the chance to throw Larches under the bus? Trust me, it sounds like if there's ANY way to shift blame, the CE will find it.

Ah, but the butt buddy relationship between CE and GM was the old GM, now president. The new GM won't hesitate to roll that bus all over CE's fat dumb face if he has a reason, and this is a big reason. CE was supposed to have the generator professionally repaired, it's not a situation of me knowing about it and not reminding him or not doing it myself, because I have no responsibility or power in either situation. This one is safely entirely on the CE. He also hasn't gotten our transmitter generator fixed yet SOOOOO

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We've had an increasing amount of novelty ways of delivering the same spam in the last two weeks, but by far my favourite so far is the "PayPal Update" email.

It's the same regular "your account is restricted! Click here to give us your password!" email you'll all be familiar with, but instead now the email has a completely empty body because it's attached as an HTML file to get around content filters. That's not all though, because I opened it in notepad to see if it had any elaborate js/flash vulnerability poo poo going on (it doesn't, it's just the standard phish with new paint) and this beautiful anachronism is in the code:
code:
<!-- 
  ______   ______    _______   _______  _______     .______   ____    ____         ___      .__   __.   ______   .__   __.  __       _______..___  ___.      ___      
 /      | /  __  \  |       \ |   ____||       \    |   _  \  \   \  /   /        /   \     |  \ |  |  /  __  \  |  \ |  | |  |     /       ||   \/   |     /   \     
|  ,----'|  |  |  | |  .--.  ||  |__   |  .--.  |   |  |_)  |  \   \/   /        /  ^  \    |   \|  | |  |  |  | |   \|  | |  |    |   (----`|  \  /  |    /  ^  \    
|  |     |  |  |  | |  |  |  ||   __|  |  |  |  |   |   _  <    \_    _/        /  /_\  \   |  . `  | |  |  |  | |  . `  | |  |     \   \    |  |\/|  |   /  /_\  \   
|  `----.|  `--'  | |  '--'  ||  |____ |  '--'  |   |  |_)  |     |  |         /  _____  \  |  |\   | |  `--'  | |  |\   | |  | .----)   |   |  |  |  |  /  _____  \  
 \______| \______/  |_______/ |_______||_______/    |______/      |__|        /__/     \__\ |__| \__|  \______/  |__| \__| |__| |_______/    |__|  |__| /__/     \__\ 

-->
I was half disappointed there wasn't a MIDI embed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Renegret posted:

e2: and lord knows, their updates via Twitter are loving fantastic. They said they'll provide an update every 15 minutes, and every 15 minutes they're updating. Better updates than we give to our customers, that's for sure. My company would never in a million years consider giving that much detail to our customers regarding an outage.

As a customer, I love to see that kind of dedication.

Drives me a bonkers that there's a pending request from our Support org as a whole to put together a process to announce outages at all. It is two years old.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Segmentation Fault posted:

years from now Larchesdanrew is at his new job and he has to take a business trip to Buffalo, NY

he starts twitching and convulsing and foaming at the mouth and nobody knows why

Buffalo larchesdanrew Buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo Buffalo

I think I've lost all meaning of the word "buffalo"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

hihifellow posted:

I think I've lost all meaning of the word "buffalo"

Buffalo: n Literally, a piece of poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Segmentation Fault posted:

As a downstater, this would be my reaction to having to go to Buffalo too.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Renegret posted:

I was pretty sure I knew who you meant, and I went and checked. Holy crap those are some detailed updates.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A ticket came in...

Guy sets up a BMR of his computer, trips over cable somehow, smashing his EHD mobo.

Goes to restore offsite backup, realizes he installed the program, never once checking the important files to see if they were selected to be backed up.

Says he needed to be told they weren't being backed up, regardless of the visual queues, information the program gives, and personal responsibility required to make sure the data was actually backed up.

It's somehow our fault for his incompetence. I'm about ready to be done.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

As a downstater, this would be my reaction to having to go to Buffalo too.
As a Western New Yorker (Rochester) :colbert:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Ghostlight posted:

We've had an increasing amount of novelty ways of delivering the same spam in the last two weeks, but by far my favourite so far is the "PayPal Update" email.

It's the same regular "your account is restricted! Click here to give us your password!" email you'll all be familiar with, but instead now the email has a completely empty body because it's attached as an HTML file to get around content filters. That's not all though, because I opened it in notepad to see if it had any elaborate js/flash vulnerability poo poo going on (it doesn't, it's just the standard phish with new paint) and this beautiful anachronism is in the code:
code:
<!-- 
  ______   ______    _______   _______  _______     .______   ____    ____         ___      .__   __.   ______   .__   __.  __       _______..___  ___.      ___      
 /      | /  __  \  |       \ |   ____||       \    |   _  \  \   \  /   /        /   \     |  \ |  |  /  __  \  |  \ |  | |  |     /       ||   \/   |     /   \     
|  ,----'|  |  |  | |  .--.  ||  |__   |  .--.  |   |  |_)  |  \   \/   /        /  ^  \    |   \|  | |  |  |  | |   \|  | |  |    |   (----`|  \  /  |    /  ^  \    
|  |     |  |  |  | |  |  |  ||   __|  |  |  |  |   |   _  <    \_    _/        /  /_\  \   |  . `  | |  |  |  | |  . `  | |  |     \   \    |  |\/|  |   /  /_\  \   
|  `----.|  `--'  | |  '--'  ||  |____ |  '--'  |   |  |_)  |     |  |         /  _____  \  |  |\   | |  `--'  | |  |\   | |  | .----)   |   |  |  |  |  /  _____  \  
 \______| \______/  |_______/ |_______||_______/    |______/      |__|        /__/     \__\ |__| \__|  \______/  |__| \__| |__| |_______/    |__|  |__| /__/     \__\ 

-->
I was half disappointed there wasn't a MIDI embed.

Haha, reminds me of a project I inherited from some ex-coworker that was managed by a regular/temp sorta guy we sometimes hire in the meantime. He hated this project. The source code he added/edited is peppered with profanities, rants and exclamations. The class he hated most is 50% commented-out code (most captioned with something like 'why won't this work???') and at the very bottom, a HUGE ascii art piece saying I AM SO DONE. It's great.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Aunt Beth posted:

As a Western New Yorker (Rochester) :colbert:

As someone from Buffalo :shrug:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a new hire came in..

Yesterday we had a new hire start. He went through some basic app training and a few orientation meetings and seemed to have a good first day even though it was a bit of a gong show on the phones.

Today the guy comes in, gets to his desk, say "gently caress YOU" to everyone, leaves and rips out of the parking lot

Everyone here, even the boss is confused as hell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blackswordca posted:

So a new hire came in..

Yesterday we had a new hire start. He went through some basic app training and a few orientation meetings and seemed to have a good first day even though it was a bit of a gong show on the phones.

Today the guy comes in, gets to his desk, say "gently caress YOU" to everyone, leaves and rips out of the parking lot

Did larchesdanrew walk into the wrong building?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

blackswordca posted:

So a new hire came in..

Is there any sort of new-hire hazing going on at your work place? I could potentially see that being an issue, even if it's minor enough to trigger a very touchy person.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

6:30am this morning my boss texts me: "Just a heads up today is going to be a bad day."

Get into work about an hour later, boss tells me that during a system upgrade last night, he was in the middle of doing a full server backup before patching when our main Hypervisor server took a huge poo poo. RAID controller has basically died, says that 3 of the 4 drives in the RAID 6 are bad. This server housed our main file server and our EHR database server. The file server is working on being restored, but my boss tells me that he doesn't have a good backup for the database server. He has not been running one on the main drive that contains user profiles, the entire database, scanned medical records, and the last backup was so old that it apparently was erased (???). 600gb of data not backed up anywhere that we may or may not be able to recover.

On the one hand, I probably should have been independently confirming that backups were happening successfully. My boss would tell me when there was a problem with backups and again when they were running good. I assumed everything was being backed up. Obviously assuming is bad, but really, it was my boss' responsibility and as an IT department of 2 I have enough on my plate with what I'm responsible for doing that I really can't be second guessing everything that he's doing as well. At this point I'm not sure how I could have prevented this from happening. I already suggested calling some data recovery places, they told us 3-6 business days and probably $7000 minimum.

Somehow I am not really feeling mad or stressed out about this yet. Detachment? Denial? Dunno yet.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Lightning Jim posted:

Is there any sort of new-hire hazing going on at your work place? I could potentially see that being an issue, even if it's minor enough to trigger a very touchy person.

Not that I saw/am aware of.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Did larchesdanrew walk into the wrong building?

If that was me, I'd still be sitting there meekly, outwardly optimistic, but rotting inside and whining incessantly on an internet comedy forum.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blackswordca posted:

So a new hire came in..

Please tell me that he put on a pair of sunglasses at some point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

If that was me, I'd still be sitting there meekly, outwardly optimistic, but rotting inside and whining incessantly on an internet comedy forum.

How's that generator schadenfreude going?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Somehow I am not really feeling mad or stressed out about this yet. Detachment? Denial? Dunno yet.

I don't know, if I were in your place I'd be assuming the drives are fine unless proven otherwise.

Good luck!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dylan16807 posted:

I don't know, if I were in your place I'd be assuming the drives are fine unless proven otherwise.

Good luck!

I guess I am probably feeling that way, we had a problem with this server when we first received it (it's only about 5 months old) and it seems to be doing the same thing now as it did then. It's hard to imagine that we'd have a RAID/other server hardware failure and also 3 SSD drive failure simultaneously. There were no power surges or weather events last night. I am staying optimistic.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Dylan16807 posted:

Good luck!

Same. To be frank: depending on the RAID card, it may have log events to pull. That way you could tell what happened. Hopefull your RIAD card has the ability to reimport the RAID 5 or if not restamp as a RAID 5 (if your RAID controller allows you to create a RAID without initializing). I've had success saving RAIDs that way before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

flosofl posted:

How's that generator schadenfreude going?

I've been running around all morning putting out the weekend fires that have been smoldering for days.

CE and GM have been walking up and down the hall chummily, all but placing their hands in the others' back pockets. CE is spinning an impressively complex web of excuses for everything, and GM is lapping it up.

So, everything's back to normal, I guess.

• Locked thread