Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
You know the old adage about three times being enemy action? Fear the walking dear seems to really like killing minorities. :staredog:

I mean in an end of the world poo poo like they've got non-white people would definitely suffer disproportionately at first but god drat man.

Also LET THE OUR TROOPS :qqsay: BEGIN!. :getin:

Seriously, its gonna be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The troops are going to start executing uninfected people at some point nazi death camp style. The old El Salvador dude is going to see it coming a mile away from his time avoiding death squads in the old country. I think that was what he was thinking when he saw the soldiers spraying a big X on the house at the end.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Incidentally that X they were spraying was a something various search & rescue people are trained to do to mark homes after a major catastrophe, showing in different quadrants the date, who searched, casualty & injury count and notes of hazards in the facility.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

warcrimes posted:

I mean, he's salvadoran but they're just brownies anyway, right?

And the actor is from Panama. Are we going to cry about how he isn't an authentic representation of El Salvadorian culture too?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

inignot posted:

And the actor is from Panama. Are we going to cry about how he isn't an authentic representation of El Salvadorian culture too?

Nobody in this thread knows the difference

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KoRMaK posted:

lol a whole scene in spanish with subtitles

speaking in spanish for a whole scene is the new hipster/media marketing thing to capture the latino market

narcos is doing it. its fine, i have a small comfort issue with it though becuase when i watch something i alot of times take my eyes off of it so its a small pita where i have to keep my eyes on the screen when there is just dialog playing out- but i think its a funny trend because some marketing group is probably driving it. they probably had a meeting about capturing more demos. so its not driven altruistically, just plain old capitalism

This post is incredible

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Didn't FTWD filming almost certainly wrap long before Narcos was released?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea probably, but I don't think that matters. This is what I was getting at:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The scene had like, 3 pieces maybe of successive spanish spoken dialogue over 30 seconds.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea I thought it was as often as I thought. I thought they would keep going to it for like most of the show.

ITS NOT A BIG DEAL THO

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

KoRMaK posted:

Yea I thought it was as often as I thought. I thought they would keep going to it for like most of the show.

ITS NOT A BIG DEAL THO

You are a racist.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

You are a racist.

I support paula dean.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
The TV IV > Fear The Walking Dead - "lol a whole scene in spanish with subtitles"

Honestly this was one of the worst posts I've ever seen and I'm ashamed to even participate in making fun of it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Whats going to happen now that the national guard is involved or were they army/marines/airforce? The CDC should start broadcasting instructions to "care for" the dead? This isn't hurricane katrina lets get some FEMA up in here. If the people were educated just a little bit about dealing with the dead/dying/wounded this could be wrapped up in a couple weeks like that ebola thing on that dark continent was. Probably easier than ebola since you have to get bit. Oh I just remembered the problem that even if you are healthy and die you still turn, but thats ok we can work with that. Everyone carry a .22 and pop a round in anyone that is recently dead or if you see yourself driving off a cliff do us a favor before you hit the bottom.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm guessing the season finale will be the army losing to zombies and one of them saying "we are on our own now" and the drug kid saying "we always were."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What exactly was that stupid maze in the Asian family's backyard

Are those normal in LA?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

moist turtleneck posted:

Are those normal in LA?

I was expecting some dirty hippies to live there and that was their folk art.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
BARACK OBAMA DOESNT CARE ABOUT BROWN PEOPLE

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

moist turtleneck posted:

Are those normal in LA?

I thought it was grapes at first but now I've got doubts. It was kinda neat to be honest.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

moist turtleneck posted:

Are those normal in LA?

Endless maze in the backyard, but she looks out the window and sees neighbor zombie going in the sliding glass door 20 feet away at most.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Klaus88 posted:

You know the old adage about three times being enemy action? Fear the walking dear seems to really like killing minorities. :staredog:

I mean in an end of the world poo poo like they've got non-white people would definitely suffer disproportionately at first but god drat man.

Also LET THE OUR TROOPS :qqsay: BEGIN!. :getin:

Seriously, its gonna be hilarious.

So either a show where white people get killed doesn't have enough minorities (Walking Dead) or it's a show with the cast consisting of mostly minorities then the complaint is, Oh my god they really love killing minorities?

Can't we have a thread where people don't make idiotic statements like this? I mean the majority of the zombies at this point have been white. Zombie in the house was white, zombie punk chick was white, zombie hospital guy was white, both zombies during the riot were white.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

hepscat posted:

Endless maze in the backyard, but she looks out the window and sees neighbor zombie going in the sliding glass door 20 feet away at most.

Likewise Travis' truck pulling up in plain view from ground level, yet somehow they couldn't interdict him before he got inside and assaulted by zombie. Either they were next door and should've been able to run or yell out the front window, or they were in a rear neighbor's house and would not have had that view of the truck.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remy Marathe posted:

Likewise Travis' truck pulling up in plain view from ground level, yet somehow they couldn't interdict him before he got inside and assaulted by zombie. Either they were next door and should've been able to run or yell out the front window, or they were in a rear neighbor's house and would not have had that view of the truck.

I think the issue was more, Hey lets not run out of the front of the house screaming because there may or may not be more of the infected outside. I mean the brother was the only one with enough sense to say, hey guys lets not point flashlights out of the window.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So is Scaredy McLiberalPants going to figure out that guns are good in the apocalypse or is his whiney son going to blow his head off so he can say "See, I told you so"

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I think the issue was more, Hey lets not run out of the front of the house screaming because there may or may not be more of the infected outside. I mean the brother was the only one with enough sense to say, hey guys lets not point flashlights out of the window.
So instead of one running out and reaching the pickup in literally 10 seconds, preventing Travis from walking into a known zombie ambush, they all quietly claw their way through a garden maze to reach the very sliding door they just watched a zombie disappear into. Best case said zombie would be between them and Travis. That whole scene just made no physical sense to me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I liked this episode. I think that everything tat happened was reasonable wrt people doing stupid stuff.

I like that there was a penalty for leaving the dumb sliding door open. Such realism.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm glad that the new wife/gf or whoever seems to have wizened up that no, you can't bring those people back. It's becoming increasingly ridiculous that Travis continues to think the zombies will somehow snap out of it after he's seen multiple zombies just keep coming after people even when they are shot full of holes.

I really liked the sequence where they drove past the hospital/drove through the hills and saw the power slowly going out across the city. That was a nice bit of cinematography.

I do think it's beginning to hit it's stride, but there are still problems.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm now realizing that The Walking Dead received a lot of its tension from Rick being a figure of authority who is called upon to do his duty and be a protector/hero in very trying circumstances. Rick was proactive whereas these characters in FTWD are passive, clueless and contradictory and the keenest among them (the junkhead) is dragged down by the ineffectual rest. They are just the sort of people in need of a Rick.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Austrian mook posted:

Nobody in this thread knows the difference

I'm part-Hispanic and even I don't know the difference. :shrug: :911:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm kind of enjoying this show against my better judgment. Yeah people are doing some dumb poo poo, but a good chunk of that dumb poo poo is believable.

I laughed at that backyard maze though. What, the old Asian couple were running a grow-op or something? I mean I guess if they've lived there for years and years as the "She watched the kids when they were little" dialog says it's understandable their little backyard garden thing could have grown and become a mess over time, sticking in an extra trellis here or there to get more tomato growing space (I'm assuming it was some kind of vegetable garden). But that and whatever reason they had for going through the backyard instead of around the front could just use a line of dialog to explain it, because this show is not competent enough to give implications and stuff reliably enough for viewers to understand without explicit explanations. Or when Alicia was freaking out about Matt, it seems the obvious response would be "Susan was an old lady, taking lots of medicine daily. Matt's a healthy strong young man, he'll fight the illness off, and his parents are taking care of him." given that nobody should know it has a 100% mortality rate.

I also find it pretty funny that within a page or two of people feeling the cast have too much knowledge of zombies (a criticism I kind of agree with, or at least that they're inconsistent about it) there's also loads of unhappiness because they're trying not to kill zombies, meaning they don't know enough. From their perspective they know that people get this sickness and become violent and very tough, and at least some people think the dead aren't staying that way, but why the hell would that translate into "Slaughter every last one of them on sight" at this stage? The authorities have clearly learned that lesson but they've also clearly been covering everything up. Things have only been going to poo poo for a day or two, and I know us goons have all spent a lot of personal time theorycrafting the zombie apocalypse, but to the characters there's no reason at all to think this is incurable, just that it's very weird and dangerous. I can totally understand why they would refuse to kill anyone sick like this if they didn't absolutely have to. Remember that Madison straight lied to the military woman about the burial plot, which I read as being because she thinks Dad will be looking at a murder rap or something. In a universe with no zombie media, zombies would be an incredibly bizarre thing to comprehend, a total Outside Context Problem.

I am interested to see what happens next given that the military seems to have responded pretty drat effectively.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
How many people live in this three bedroom house?

Hm, that would be strange but I guess you people have big families

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Say what you will about the characters doing dumb poo poo, but the show is really capturing the feel of a society collapsing. That scene with the hospital on fire surrounded by sharpshooters laying waste to zombie patients escaping was chilling.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Unzip and Attack posted:

Say what you will about the characters doing dumb poo poo, but the show is really capturing the feel of a society collapsing. That scene with the hospital on fire surrounded by sharpshooters laying waste to zombie patients escaping was chilling.
Yes that's the best part of the show, but we need more of that and I don't know if the budget will support it

I also agree that they have to have a 'leader' of this group sooner rather than later, but I'm guessing that won't happen until the last episode of the season.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I love that even though the Junkie is now at his own house, he has yet to change out of his old man clothes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The show is entertaining because the setting is entertaining. The concept of zombies is pretty dumb if you think too much about it but that shouldn't mean that the characters also have to be dumb. Mum already saw two undead, one of which she had to kill herself with a fire extinguisher. She saw her neighbor attack a girl/woman right across the street and she still doesn't tell her daughter what is going on? Worse than that, they all keep acting like that didn't just happen right across the street? And stop flashing lights out of the loving window, are you deliberately trying to lure the undead in? In fact turn off all the lights, and look for a fire poker god drat it, you should all be locked in a room upstairs while you wait.

Death squad survivor guy is the only one that knows what's up, shame that he can't make it alone and like it or not will be dependent on the dumb bleeding heart dad. At least the mum is dumb but has some balls, his bellyaching almost got a man killed.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

I love that even though the Junkie is now at his own house, he has yet to change out of his old man clothes.

I was laughing about that too. The clothes give him a comedic effect for sure.

It' s a lot better than that Crying Game - feminine outfit he was fluttering about in the first few minutes of episode 1.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I liked how there was a murderer across the street but they played monopoly and turned on every light in the house anyway.

Also the mom is still wearing high heels.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 15, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Wait, did Grandma not get medicine or treatment or anything for her foot? She's just chilling there, foot-dying up in that bedroom?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

LeJackal posted:

Wait, did Grandma not get medicine or treatment or anything for her foot? She's just chilling there, foot-dying up in that bedroom?

She got some of the pills that the mom stole for faux-Depp. It's why she's not in extreme pain at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I like Daniel's character, and think his attitude is believable. My father taught at an inner city school that got a lot of refugee students that came to the US after things like civil wars, Chernobyl, Rwandan genocide, etc. Students around my age were hardened as poo poo from their experiences. I remember I was visiting, and my dad had to give a student detention. He just shrugged and said 'I spent a year and a half in a POW camp. That's nothing.'

From meeting a lot of refugee students, I really think his attitude is bspot-on for that type of experience, not only willing to off the zombie without hesitation, but also his hesitance to go with his daughter's opinion that they should stick with Travis/Madison et al.

Though I really think Travis won't last long, since he was all upset about Daniel teaching Chris how to work the shotgun, and talking Madison out of offing the zombie neighbor.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 15, 2015

• Locked thread