Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sethex posted:

How does that connect with anything that I have said? I would strongly support banning a separate Christian Legal system as I would any other minority religion variation, your comparison is hyperbolic and terrible.

"The Muslim Arbitration Tribunal has no powers to grant a divorce which is valid in English and Welsh law.[5][6] A talaq can be granted to recognise divorce.[5][6] A sharia marriage has no bearing on personal status under UK law.[7] The Muslim Arbitration Tribunal has no jurisdiction on criminal matters but can attempt reconciliation between spouses."

"An ongoing e-petition to the UK government to prohibit and criminalise sharia courts has received over 15,000 signatures. The government issued a response, stating that sharia rulings are only permitted if legal in their jurisdiction, and that attitudes contrary to UK law should be eradicated"

Ironically, we have the same thing already happen with Christians as well in the US/UK. So, its not special to Muslims, and its not isolated to Sharia. Go ask women trying to leave the Quiverfull movement what its like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Editout

Sethex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 14, 2015

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Considering most of the refugees coming over are moderates fleeing religious extremists, what is your point? To find extremism among the moderates and then label them wholesale?

The people arriving in Germany, Greece, and others consist of mostly the middle class of Syria, educated and for the most part moderate fleeing in the face of those who DO want Sharia law and extremism.

Didn't mention the refugees identity, only that Saudis building their infrastructure is likely a bad thing that has been historically a bad thing. Didn't talk about extremists within the Refugees at all. I'd say they are fleeing a civil war more than fleeing ISIS.

Given your clunky calls insinuating racism/genocide or simply misrepresenting everything you've ever quoted I'd say at this point you aren't even connected to what you're reading, I doubt you're even connected to reality enough to have an opinion.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 14, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jesus christ you're disingenuous as gently caress.

Please acknowledge you quoted the following:

That does say western country, right?

Correct. However; Malaysia, Indonesia, and Turkey are consistently referred to as the poster children of modern "liberal Islam" by the Ben Affleck types (some are in this thread!) when, in fact, they are very conservative with their own arbitrary versions of Sharia implemented as state law. You know, things such as imprisonment for adultery and alcohol. :ssh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sethex posted:

Given your clunky calls insinuating racism/genocide or simply misrepresenting everything you've ever quoted I'd say at this point you aren't even connected to what you're reading, I doubt you're even connected to reality enough to have an opinion.

I misrepresented your post, and for that I am sorry. After further review, your post did not mean what I thought it did :doh:

But I stand by what I said in response to others who are flying the 'OMG SHARIA' flag

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sethex posted:

Do you mean little people in this thread? Or in the west?

Here is a BBC doc on Sharia arbitration in Britain, spoiler alert, it sucks to be a women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7TjzSSZUvg

Lets see if the genocide screaming idiots even give a poo poo.

It also sucks to be a worker in arbitration against your current or former employer, should that be illegal in the US?

...Well, okay, yeah, maybe it should. But we have employer-mandated extremely strongly encouraged labor arbitration, and nominally (and often actually) consensual Jewish and Muslim civil arbitration, and frankly the labor arbitration is much more pervasive and imo more appalling in current application. Spoiler alert, in the event of conflict, American law prevails over the arbitration, but American courts (especially in labor arbitration, because :911:) tend to be pretty willing to uphold arbitration results including monetary awards.

Here's an overview article of sharia arbitration in the US from Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/jotl/manage/wp-content/uploads/Sisson_Future_of_Sharia_Law_in_American_Arbitration.pdf

An interesting side part of the article of which I was not previously aware is that a really big practical incentive for wives to assent to handling divorce settlements in sharia courts is that US courts do not have a particularly great track record at handling marriage security deposits mahr/dowries.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sethex posted:

Pretending that 9/11 didn't result in a demonstrable erosion of civil liberties an give birth to a surveillance state only serves to demonstrate how bad you are at seeing obvious causal chains because it offends your immature notions of multiculturalism.

"Demonstrable erosion of civil liberties" has been the status quo in the US for decades, and the surveillance state predates 9/11 by fifty years or more.

Effectronica posted:

I don't think that there's anyone in this thread, and far, far fewer people outside of it than those who provide the basis for clobber statistics, who would actually suggest that Muslims be banned from using the ordinary court system. Even spectacular racists are unlikely to do so, I think. In fact, intimating that there's somebody who believes that seems vaguely insulting.

What happens if people start being persecuted by the local community if they try to take their case to secular courts? That's a problem not just in radical Muslim communities in the West, but also ultra-Orthodox Jewish and radical Christian groups, where taking complaints to secular authorities is often considered to be not only a violation of religious law but also a dangerous betrayal of the group to secular authorities. Is the system going to be able to protect them?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The Catholic Church maintains a body of law, which includes penalties like excommunication. The state should not be involved in making those decisions, because that would compromise separation of church and state. But preventing this parallel legal system from operating would require the use of force and the threat of violence at an absolute minimum, along with an intrusive police state. Nevertheless, this should not allow the Church to evade secular penalties for criminal actions.

Shari'a is functionally identical. If two people want to use shari'a arbitration to settle a dispute in lieu of small claims court, where's the problem? There are multiple reasons why someone would want to do this without being a fifth-columnist pederast. And you can always prosecute if need be.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A legal system that works within the framework of state law but can have different handling of situations so long as the state law isn't broken... there's something similar to this that I just can't put my finger on. Something to do with states that are united and some kind of federal government...

Nah never mind Muslims are bad and poo poo.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

where's the problem?

Men an women are treated differently under Sharia law and in a much more discriminating way than secular law.

I just shared a documentary on this, it is pretty intellectually dishonest to treat common or civil law to having the same outcomes as Sharia.

If Christians wanted a separate legal system it would be equally ridiculous.

The only benefit i can see to permitting a sexist legal system that is arbitrated by conservative old men and fictional hadiths is so your little multiculturalism hard on is satisfied.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 14, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sethex posted:

Men am women are treated differently under Sharia law and in a much more discriminating way than secular law.

I just shared a documentary on this, it is pretty intellectually dishonest to treat common or civil law to having the same outcomes as Sharia.

The only benefit i can see to permitting a sexist legal system that is arbitrated by conservative old men and fictional hadiths is so your little multiculturalism hard on is satisfied.

Okay. Can you address the exact scenario instead of squealing about how we need a strong Führer to deal with the Dolchstoss of multiculturalism and eliminate the Bolshevist-capitalist complex of international Islamry? That way, we can see you come around to saying that you'd totally blow a nun's head off rather than allow the Catholic Church to have ecclesiastical laws of its own.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sethex posted:

Men am women are treated differently under Sharia law and in a much more discriminating way than secular law.

If you want to use state violence to force revolutionary gender equality, I'm all for it, but it seems laughable not to start at home, with the native white Christian Euros, instead of panicking over some impoverished war-refugees from a desert hellhole

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 14, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

The views of the minority does not essentially reflect the views of the majority. By your standard, should we then ban Christianity because a few Christians are members of the KKK or other Christian Extremist groups? I can go assault people all I want and claim to be part of the Atheist Militant movement, doesn't mean my views represent the majority of atheists nor that my actions should be used to represent them in their entirety.

There is actually some middle ground between "let's ban Islam forever" and "we need to have sharia courts so Muslims can follow their own rules instead of the laws of the land". This middle ground can be summed up by a few principle, most importantly one that is called "separation of church and state".

If you want to go "but Christianity bad!", then it's not Europe that's going to disagree. After all, do you want to know why we came up with separation of church and place in the first place? Look here for a start. After a lot of horrible bloodshed, people one day came up with the at the time completely outlandish idea that it was really stupid to slaughter each other because of minute differences in their daily "praise the lord" rituals, and so they decided that religion was a private, personal thing, that everyone was free to have whatever faith they want, and that clerics wouldn't dictate the law anymore.

Fast forward to nowadays, there are people slaughtering each other because of minute differences in their daily "praise the lord" rituals just a bit to the south and east of Europe, and there are refugees fleeing the horrible bloodshed over there, and then there are people here arguing that what Europe needs is to welcome these refugees by abolishing the separation of church and state.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

If you want to use state violence to force revolutionary gender equality, I'm all for it, but it seems laughable not to start at home, with the native white Christian Euros, instead of loving panicking over some impoverished war-refugees from a desert hellhole

Wow, those native white Christian Euros (Europe is predominantly atheist FYI) sure do have a problem with female heads of state, burqas, FGM, and forced marriages, don't they? I'm sure you're mistaking them for the the native white christians in the U.S., who've systematically prevented a female from becoming POTUS for the last 50 years. But continue, forums poster icantfindaname, indulge us with your redundant strawmen some more.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

icantfindaname posted:

If you want to use state violence to force revolutionary gender equality, I'm all for it, but it seems laughable not to start at home, with the native white Christian Euros, instead of panicking over some impoverished war-refugees from a desert hellhole

The fact that you're trying to even remotely equate gender 'inequality' in Europe with the hellscape that is the middle east makes me think you're just trolling.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Uh, restricting the wearing of burkas is quite misogynist actually.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Immortan posted:

Wow, those native white Christian Euros (Europe is predominantly atheist FYI)

It is now. Maybe you forgot just how many bloody wars we had over Christianity over the years? Between the pogroms, the Crusades and the Protestants a lot of blood was shed by the Christians over the years. Atheism has surged simply because so much chaos and bloodshed has been waged in the name of the Christian God that Europe as a whole has become disillusioned. Given that the Middle East had been relatively (NB: I'm saying RELATIVELY - all countries had wars in those centuries) peaceful and prosperous in that time under Sharia, you can forgive them for not seeing too much of a problem with theology.

Immortan posted:

sure do have a problem with female heads of state, burqas, FGM, and forced marriages, don't they?

Do you know what a burka is called in Christianity? A Nun's Habit. Women weren't allowed to vote until the 1900s, women were sold into marriage until the 20th century: google 'dowry'. How are you this loving bad at the history of the culture you're trying to claim is brilliant? And FGM? It's loving rampant in Christian nations in Africa.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tesseraction posted:

It is now. Maybe you forgot just how many bloody wars we had over Christianity over the years? Between the pogroms, the Crusades and the Protestants a lot of blood was shed by the Christians over the years. Atheism has surged simply because so much chaos and bloodshed has been waged in the name of the Christian God that Europe as a whole has become disillusioned. Given that the Middle East had been relatively (NB: I'm saying RELATIVELY - all countries had wars in those centuries) peaceful and prosperous in that time under Sharia, you can forgive them for not seeing too much of a problem with theology.

Do you know what a burka is called in Christianity? A Nun's Habit. Women weren't allowed to vote until the 1900s, women were sold into marriage until the 20th century: google 'dowry'. How are you this loving bad at the history of the culture you're trying to claim is brilliant? And FGM? It's loving rampant in Christian nations in Africa.

:agreed: But we were talking about Europe in 2015. Try to keep up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz are live at Harvard discussing "Islam and the future of tolerance." Stream is here if anyone is interested.

https://forum.iop.harvard.edu/content/islam-future-tolerance

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Uh, restricting the wearing of burkas is quite misogynist actually.

:qq: My right to dehumanization! :qq:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Miltank posted:

Agreed, let's ban high-heeled shoes, makeup, decolletage...

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Lol ok sounds good bro :jerkbag:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

Many women choose to wear it. The hijab especially is a very common thing that women wear as they feel very strongly about modesty. If you want to call that dehumanizing, you will be arguing with women about it, and you will be denying women their right to act as they wish to it if you try to ban it. I tend to think this is the real "dehumanizing" issue involving it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/05/muslim-woman-hijab-delta_n_6616806.html

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Miltank posted:

Lol ok sounds good bro :jerkbag:

What differentiates high heels from a niqab, in terms of dehumanization? Are we to take it that sexual objectification is better than non-sexual objectification? That seems rather, um, sexist.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

What differentiates high heels from a niqab, in terms of dehumanization? Are we to take it that sexual objectification is better than non-sexual objectification? That seems rather, um, sexist.

women wear high heels by choice you see

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Hijab is not burka or nikab. You can make the argument that high heels are the same thing as as a mask that completely covers the face, but I disagree- its almost completely different.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Miltank posted:

Let me tell you about how I support a woman's freedom to choose her outfit by telling her you cannot wear these particular outfits.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Immortan posted:

:agreed: But we were talking about Europe in 2015. Try to keep up.

And my point was that we're at a period of post-theology in Europe due to the sheer numbers of human deaths caused in the name of religion. Some are suggesting that the situation in the Middle East is potentially the 'enlightenment' period for Islam but I'd personally disagree for reasons this post is not about. What I'm saying is that talking about Europe being a bastion of enlightened folks is because millions died so that others could see the futility. The Middle East had not seen such barbarity until the West got involved. The situations are not comparable by any sensible metric.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Miltank posted:

Hijab is not burka or nikab. You can make the argument that high heels are the same thing as as a mask that completely covers the face, but I disagree- its almost completely different.

Both of them are, in a historical context, about male control over women. Both of them are also targets of reclamation by feminism. Both of them involve policing sexuality, and reclamation has involved reclaiming the sexual element and making it anew.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miltank posted:

What's wrong with wanting to wear a mask that forces people to consider you as something other than a pair of tits and a nice arse?

There are arguments against forced wearing of the different articles of clothing, but actually if you talk to the real women who choose to wear them you might find it's not just 'I HATE MY BITCH SELF SO I WEAR THIS TO REMIND PEOPLE I'M A WHORE.'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One is an article of clothing a woman may choose to wear. The other is an article of clothing a woman may choose to wear.

Personally I've seen both worn at the same time. (To clarify thats the niqab and high heel, really tall stillettos more often than not.)

If its explicitly the womans choice to wear the niqab or the burka or the high heel who are you to deny her that?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 15, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
And yet one functions by turning its wearers into semi-anonymous symbols of feminine otherness and the other is an uncomfortable patriarchal norm. High heels have more in common with neckties than burkas.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
The necktie was a Croatian invention originally placed around the necks of soldiers going off to war by their wives; it symbolizes the hold the gynocracy has over mens' very lives.

Oh wait that sounds ridiculous and so does comparing high heels to burkas

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

From a non western, Arabic viewpoint that distinction is reversed.

E:@ Miltank

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Narciss how come you've spent like $100 to keep posting stupid poo poo in this forum? Asking for a friend.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Miltank posted:

High heels have more in common with neckties than burkas.

In that both are comfortable to Western society, yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Narciss how come you've spent like $100 to keep posting stupid poo poo in this forum? Asking for a friend.

We're friends now? :3:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miltank posted:

And yet one functions by turning its wearers into semi-anonymous symbols of feminine otherness and the other is an uncomfortable patriarchal norm.

So the burqa isn't a patriarchal norm? Or is it a comfortable one?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Tesseraction posted:

So the burqa isn't a patriarchal norm? Or is it a comfortable one?

I have been told that they are generally not uncomfortable. They are undoubtably patriarchal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Even the idea that they keep women from being ogled is rooted in their original patriarchal purpose.

• Locked thread