Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
While scaling up for a monster pork shoulder, I hosed up with the liquid smoke (my apartment has no outside space, so I can only fake barbecue). It's bad, guys. And I have two huge containers of pulled pork to get through. And there's only one of me.

Any ideas to diffuse the flavor? I can't do tomatoes, so no chili, and I don't like drowning things in sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Anne Whateley posted:

While scaling up for a monster pork shoulder, I hosed up with the liquid smoke (my apartment has no outside space, so I can only fake barbecue). It's bad, guys. And I have two huge containers of pulled pork to get through. And there's only one of me.

Any ideas to diffuse the flavor? I can't do tomatoes, so no chili, and I don't like drowning things in sauce.
You don't need tomatoes to do chili. A lot of Texans argue that tomatoes in chili are inauthentic to begin with. I do chili without tomatoes maybe one out of every four times. I just use mild peppers like cubanelles instead.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's really bad, you're better off addressing the problem directly.

Take an ounce or two, cold, and break it up and move it around while you run cold water over it in a colander for a while.

Heat it up some (by any means, for now) and see if the liquid smoke is bearable. If not, you can try rinsing a little more with some warmer water, with the ultimate attack of this sort being to full-on simmer the meat for a while before you drain off the smoky (and, unfortunately, porky) broth you made.

Take a little bit, gently caress it up as little as possible, and step things up from there if that is not enough.

If you are determined to salvage it, there's no question that you can end up with some flavorless protein strands in the end, but you can probably do better than that.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Someone I know is going to get me a large Kamado Joe and a Little Joe for my birthday for any reason should I be like BGE instead because that seems like it comes with more things and they are both ceramic grills. The little joe they would get for free with it and give to me fore more BBQ heaven.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you're going to wish you had something else every time you see it out back then yeah get something else

Restaurant Depot status: I saw that they allow a free signup as long as you have a business license so I took some docs down there and got 2 cards. Theirs meats look pretty good, they definitely had full packer briskets unlike my Costco which is hit or miss. Now I just need to get one and smoke it :v:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Fallorn posted:

Someone I know is going to get me a large Kamado Joe and a Little Joe for my birthday for any reason should I be like BGE instead because that seems like it comes with more things and they are both ceramic grills. The little joe they would get for free with it and give to me fore more BBQ heaven.

I was looking at the Kamados when I was buying charcoal the other day, and they look like pretty much the same drat thing as the BGE, minus a few hundred dollars and some green paint.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, ceramic grill owners. I kinda want one, but I have to finish killing/melting the crappy Charbroil my wife bought me last year first...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's pretty much the same I think. I love my egg but mostly for its versatility. If I was just smoking meat I'd probably stick to the wsm. I was churning out top notch Bbq in that.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

BLARGHLE posted:

I was looking at the Kamados when I was buying charcoal the other day, and they look like pretty much the same drat thing as the BGE, minus a few hundred dollars and some green paint.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, ceramic grill owners. I kinda want one, but I have to finish killing/melting the crappy Charbroil my wife bought me last year first...

Just like Sellouts said, I love my Egg for the versatility and just how well it does everything I need it to do. Between the BGE and the Kamado there isn't that much difference. When you start looking at some of the other lower models I don't believe they are full ceramic. My local BGE dealer is awesome, so that helps a lot as well. I like that I am supporting a smaller local business vs a big box retailer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stuffed these chops with gruyere and spinach, wrapped them in home made bacon, rubbed with salt/pepper/paprika/garlic powder and smoked over cherry, then pulled off and cranked the heat for a final sear. Absolutely delicious.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oh man, foil in the smoker thread is rapidly turning it into the cast iron thread

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I stuffed these chops with gruyere and spinach, wrapped them in home made bacon, rubbed with salt/pepper/paprika/garlic powder and smoked over cherry, then pulled off and cranked the heat for a final sear. Absolutely delicious.

What was the smoker temp and what was the meat temp you smoked to (and appoximate time for the chops pictured)? They look amazing. were they dry at all? did you brine them prior to stuffing and smoking?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

coyo7e posted:

oh man, foil in the smoker thread is rapidly turning it into the cast iron thread

Foil your cast iron!

But what oil do you use to season your foil !?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

atothesquiz posted:

What was the smoker temp and what was the meat temp you smoked to (and appoximate time for the chops pictured)? They look amazing. were they dry at all? did you brine them prior to stuffing and smoking?

I smoked it for probably close to 40 minutes at 225. I was having trouble keeping the temp down because I got my coals too fired up in the chimney starter, so the temp of the chop was climbing quicker than I wanted. I pulled it at 100 degrees or so, then let the temp get higher and put it back on. The grill was close to 500 when I put it back on. It was juicy in the center but had more of a temperature gradient than I wanted. If I could have done the whole thing at a lower temp I don't think it would have been an issue. I pulled them at 140, since I was shooting for 145, but they carried over to closer to 150. I'd probably do my sear at a lower temp next time, and as I said, keep the smoking temp under control better. The main reason I pulled them off early is because they would have been done way too soon.

I didn't brine as I'm generally against it (waters down the meat flavor, only useful at getting salt inside, not other flavors). That said, brining probably would have worked out ok here because I got the outside a little more done than I wanted. But I still wouldn't brine next time, I'll just make sure I get the cooking right.

And in case you're interested, for the stuffing I wilted spinach in a little olive oil with S&P, then mixed it with shredded gruyere. I don't butterfly the chops like most folks do when they stuff chops, instead I cut a slit in the fat band then work the paring knife inside to make a pocket. I use a meat injector that I cut the end off of so it's a big tube that I fill with stuffing and then "inject" into the slit I made in the chop. I also score the fat band vertically so the chop doesn't bulge and cup when it cooks. Since I had homemade bacon handy, I wrapped it to cover the hole and secured it with toothpicks that I took out before serving.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

El Jebus posted:

Foil your cast iron!

But what oil do you use to season your foil !?
bacon.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I think my smoker is fried :(. I have a Masterbuild 40 and I went to heat it up. Come back out later it's not moved at all and the heating light is on. Best I get from turning it on and off that it heats about 2 degrees and stops.

I'm assuming this is the heating element. Any idea how much this will set me back on parts, and if it's something that I can install myself?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah they're pretty easy to find. I got a free smoker (it had a burnt out element) a while back and got a replacement heating element for like 20 bucks. Shouldn't be more than a google away, and a lot of hardware stores that sell grills, or larger retail stores like Kroegers/Freddies, Wal Mart, etc, can have generic ones.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Help! A family member was supposed to get me a pork butt to smoke today but came home with a loin. I had everything prepared to smoke a butt for ten hours and I prefer this to the steak-like cooking style of a loin. Can I cook the loin like a butt until it's forkable?

It's 8 pounds, in the smoker an hour or so already.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Aliquid posted:

Help! A family member was supposed to get me a pork butt to smoke today but came home with a loin. I had everything prepared to smoke a butt for ten hours and I prefer this to the steak-like cooking style of a loin. Can I cook the loin like a butt until it's forkable?

It's 8 pounds, in the smoker an hour or so already.

You need to cook it to an internal temp of of 145, not the ~195-200 you would cook a pork butt. Pork loin has much less fat than a pork butt. If you even cook it to 160, it will be as dry as a bone. And it's not going to to take 10 hours, it's going to take like 2-3 hours.

It won't shred like pulled pork but you can still slice it up and make sandwiches .

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, that's exactly what I didn't want to do; I planned to have dinner ready by 9pm. Even if I wrap it in foil with a marinade, it will still dry out? The cut itself was fatty as heck.

vvv well jesus, I'm not just going to leave it sitting out when it's done, it'll have to go in the fridge

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 24, 2015

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I dunno where you live, but even if you're on the East Coast, you're talking about like 5-6 hours of hold time for a cut that is supposed to be rested for like a half hour. It's hard to imagine it still being something you would want to serve to people, and if the meat temp goes below 140 for too long it could get unsafe.

Might not be too late to scrap it and go get a 4-5 lb butt and cook that.

There're others in this thread that have way more experience with catering and holding/storing food, but this just doesn't sound good at all.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you're gonna have to pull it and get it cooled down enough to reheat when you are ready to serve.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

you're gonna have to pull it and get it cooled down enough to reheat when you are ready to serve.

That's pretty much what's happening now. It's almost done!

edit I wonder how a sear/crust 6 hours after pulling would turn out :v:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just slice it into rounds, keep them in the fridge, and sear it on a 500000 degree cast iron pan for like 30 seconds each side before serving.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Roasting a 50 lb pig. Just one more hour to go. :getin:

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 26, 2015

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I've had probably the worst day smoking. I put on a brisket last night at midnight. Nothing crazy. It was windy and cloudy outside all day so i wrapped my thermometer (ivation wireless thing) in a sandwich bag and sealed it, took the receiver inside and went to bed. By the time I put the meat on, it was at a stable 235, which I was cool with. Woke up at like 4, meat read in the 150's, WSM read at 225. Cool. Woke up at 8. Meat read 225, smoker ready 205. Huh?

So I get up, run out. The little WSM probe on top is calling it 200, and it readys +/- about 30-40. I'm suspecting the ivation thermometer already when I look down and see that the plastic bag I put it in is full of water. Absolutely full. Instead of just dying and giving no reading, this thing is now giving off erroneous readings. I boil some water inside for a quick test and drop both probes in. One reads 300, one reads 170. I get some ice water, drop the probes in. The first one reads 200, the second one reads 205. By this point I'm already dressed, keys in hand. I drive to lowes, get another. By the time I come back, the smoker is cooling off. While I was gone, the coals died. Sweet.

Now its pouring rain. I can't get coals started. I finally get some started and put it back on. Its been going for about four hours now, solidly in the stall.

Is this thing going to be palatable? Its only me and my fiance eating it. I was just going to use it as lunch meat/leftovers/freezer food so there is no huge expectation but as has been discussed in this thread, brisket ain't cheap.

I think I'm just going to stick to doing chickens after this. Smoking isn't supposed to make you angry :cry:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

That all sounds like the perfect storm of bad poo poo happening. I think it should be fine as long as you can get the heat back to your target before the meat has a chance to cool. Others will certainly know more and know specifics. For just you and your wife I'd imagine it will be fine.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Had a couple of smoked pork loins today that my dad made during a visit. He took them off the smoker when they hit 145 in the centerand let them sit for 30-40 before serving.

I love half-raw pork that won't even cut evenly. :barf:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Had a couple of smoked pork loins today that my dad made during a visit. He took them off the smoker when they hit 145 in the centerand let them sit for 30-40 before serving.

I love half-raw pork that won't even cut evenly. :barf:
145 degrees is the perfect temperature for whole cuts of pork. Was his thermometer his hand?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I just don't like my pork being that chewy and moist, I prefer it a bit more well done. For some reason I thought that pork is supposed to be cooked to 160 or 165.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That's the old school of thought when people were worried about trichnosis.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

That's the old school of thought when people were worried about trichnosis.
Even aside from the fact that trichinosis cases are exclusive to the consumption of boar or other wild game in the US, that recommendation has always been really strange when you consider that trichina is killed at 137F.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Gotta be sure it's REALLY dead.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Even aside from the fact that trichinosis cases are exclusive to the consumption of boar or other wild game in the US, that recommendation has always been really strange when you consider that trichina is killed at 137F.

My vague memory of twenty-year-old foodservice training is that a lot of stuff starts to die at 130-140, but it dies slowly and patchily. The result is that you can get away with lower temperatures if you're holding the food there for a long enough time to kill everything, but if it's immediately going up to temperature and then to table you're supposed to get it hot enough to kill everything instantly, which is a higher temperature than the one stuff starts dying at.

In other words you can do 140 if you hold it there for a long time before eating, but if you just want to get it hot and eat immediately you're supposed to go higher.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

My vague memory of twenty-year-old foodservice training is that a lot of stuff starts to die at 130-140, but it dies slowly and patchily. The result is that you can get away with lower temperatures if you're holding the food there for a long enough time to kill everything, but if it's immediately going up to temperature and then to table you're supposed to get it hot enough to kill everything instantly, which is a higher temperature than the one stuff starts dying at.

In other words you can do 140 if you hold it there for a long time before eating, but if you just want to get it hot and eat immediately you're supposed to go higher.
This is sound advice, but there's also this specific guidance from the USDA re: trichina temperatures:

quote:

Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52° C (125.6° F), in 6 minutes at 55° C (131° F), and in < 1 minute at 60° C (140° F).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, that's surprisingly low/fast!

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Well I got a Big Joe from Kamado Joe at costco for $1200 and because I got the display model I also got a Joe Jr for free so now I have two. I will use them both and maybe smoke with one and grill with the tiny one.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

I've had probably the worst day smoking. I put on a brisket last night at midnight. Nothing crazy. It was windy and cloudy outside all day so i wrapped my thermometer (ivation wireless thing) in a sandwich bag and sealed it, took the receiver inside and went to bed. By the time I put the meat on, it was at a stable 235, which I was cool with. Woke up at like 4, meat read in the 150's, WSM read at 225. Cool. Woke up at 8. Meat read 225, smoker ready 205. Huh?

So I get up, run out. The little WSM probe on top is calling it 200, and it readys +/- about 30-40. I'm suspecting the ivation thermometer already when I look down and see that the plastic bag I put it in is full of water. Absolutely full. Instead of just dying and giving no reading, this thing is now giving off erroneous readings. I boil some water inside for a quick test and drop both probes in. One reads 300, one reads 170. I get some ice water, drop the probes in. The first one reads 200, the second one reads 205. By this point I'm already dressed, keys in hand. I drive to lowes, get another. By the time I come back, the smoker is cooling off. While I was gone, the coals died. Sweet.

Now its pouring rain. I can't get coals started. I finally get some started and put it back on. Its been going for about four hours now, solidly in the stall.

Is this thing going to be palatable? Its only me and my fiance eating it. I was just going to use it as lunch meat/leftovers/freezer food so there is no huge expectation but as has been discussed in this thread, brisket ain't cheap.

I think I'm just going to stick to doing chickens after this. Smoking isn't supposed to make you angry :cry:

Just so you know, meat only absorbs the smoke for the first 2-4 hours it smokes, so after that you aren't really adding any smoke flavor. After that you can just throw it in a 225 degree oven and get essentially the same result. BBQ purists might not like it, but if I start having smoker/temp issues after about the 3 hour mark, I just switch to the oven.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Just so you know, meat only absorbs the smoke for the first 2-4 hours it smokes, so after that you aren't really adding any smoke flavor. After that you can just throw it in a 225 degree oven and get essentially the same result. BBQ purists might not like it, but if I start having smoker/temp issues after about the 3 hour mark, I just switch to the oven.
Depends. The meat itself only absorbs the smoke flavor for two hours or so, but if you're looking to get extra smoky for whatever reason, any kind of sauce or glaze will also pick up smoke at the end. I don't deliberately add wood when I sauce, but I've definitely noticed it when smoking on lump.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Hey guys. I'm about to buy my first smoker and https://www.bbqxl.com.au/shop/smoke...Wx1yRoCk8_w_wcB seemed like a solid option.

Any other recommendations for around the $600AUD mark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Crazy Dutchman posted:

yep. Lesson learned. It stalled out for a while and I stuck it in the oven. It was ready in time (with enough time to rest) by dinner and it turned out completely fine. If anything, underseasoned, but I blame that on my rub. In fact, I've been eating it every day this week and froze some. So glad it turned out well.