Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

Do you have an actual source of this? I've heard it mentioned but never anything beyond "they planned more content and eventually nixed it" as opposed to "it was cut from the final game."

Edit: I don't mean for that to sound jerky, I've just honestly never seen a source for it beyond mentions of stuff like Chinaman and Old Boy who were both ideas they had but didn't do rather than cut unfinished content.

Arsenal Gear was supposed to be several times its final size and contain general exploration and objectives akin to the Big Shell, as opposed to a pair of rooms and several scripted enemy gauntlets. Some, possibly much, of this content was moved into Big Shell- it appears that the Emma sequence and first Vamp fight were both originally planned to take place in Arsenal Gear.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
the rain scene was fine. good, in fact.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Radix posted:

Actually, I can confirm that it's weird and stupid. And not the usual fun kind of weird and stupid where you're laughing at the gleeful absurdity of what's going on.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

The Radix posted:

Splash fight was good, didn't really need the rolling around on the ground though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ekusukariba posted:

Splash fight was good, didn't really need the rolling around on the ground though

Yeah, they really toed the line between being exploitative with her outfit and utilizing it in a way that makes actual sense, and I think the first part of that scene is an example of how they crossed that line occasionally. Like yeah, I get it, she loves sun and rain because it's food because she's basically a plant. It is possible to show that off without having her strip out of what little clothing she has and roll around like a playboy model. There is a point where acceptable turns universally into something much harder to accept and I think that's about where that point was for me.

A similar moment was in MGS4 where they showed off the skin suits that the b&b ladies wear: instead of just having laughing octopus get up and walk toward Snake after she falls out of the mech suit, she crawls toward him on the ground butt in the air and it looks very silly and unncessary. Just having her get up would've been fine.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 15, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Ocelot model swap for that cutscene vindicates the entire thing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Snofeld posted:

Actually, does Otacon make any major mistakes at all after first meeting Snake? The only thing I can think of is the start of MGS2 where he trusts an anonymous tip because it's signed off with his sister's initials. That aside, it seems like every bad thing that happens to Otacon is because he's the world's chew-toy and apparently unconsciously kills any post-pubescent women who come within ten feet of him, like a goony FOXDIE. Huey, on the other hand, is the architect of every bad thing that happens to him.

You reminded me of something that Strangelove mentioned in her tapes. She basically said she coded the patriot's ai (or some kind of virus) that would look after otacon for his entire life. She said this program/virus would keep him safe.

Wouldn't it be loving hilarious if he wasn't actually a master hacker or engineer, just that he had to press buttons and the computers would all just do stuff for him? Like "isn't that how everyone hacks into systems/designs metal gear/writes code? It's always worked that way for me?" Then he'd always wonder why he can't get computer tasks done when he has no internet connection. Or I suppose it just runs locally on every device in the world.

Did anyone else catch that? So otacon coding is literally like:
http://hackertyper.net/ (just mash buttons)

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I'm not sure whether that scene triggers at different times for different people, but for me it was set up well with the native american stuff (particularly the hamburger tapes and the bit about unique conceptions of beauty) given the context of happening right after the quiet/codetalker reveal and ongoing kids plot.

I don't think quiet wears a bikini for your sexual gratification, guys. I think it's because when it rains she's enraptured by nature on a level that bb/the player is never going to understand. In contrast to her unimmolated assassin former self I guess the parasite was a gift in that sense. The choice is yours whether you accept her characterisation in and of itself or get your school marm rufflez all up in a bunch because her presentation superficially (and deliberately) resembles fanservice. Yes, her geometry, boob physics and mocap are conscious decisions on the part of the authors but that doesn't mean anything categorically unless you believe categorically that the human body and sexuality should be verboten in art (because ???feminism???), in which case lol and also gently caress you

PS, she's not in love with your character. She's "in love with the legend": a diamond dog.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The way I understood it, she's the only one who is actually in love with Venom, not the man he's supposed to be. Their relationship is supposed to be tragic, since he can't act on his feelings for her because of his expectations as Big Boss, buy once he's learned the truth of his identity, Quiet is already gone.

Love truly can bloom on the battlefield~

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Broseph Brostar posted:

The way I understood it, she's the only one who is actually in love with Venom, not the man he's supposed to be. Their relationship is supposed to be tragic, since he can't act on his feelings for her because of his expectations as Big Boss, buy once he's learned the truth of his identity, Quiet is already gone.

You might be right. I felt like her weird looks in the ACC, especially the one where she comes in close in response to staring at her (which triggers even if her 3d masterpiece boobage is out of frame, by the way) was eventually her saying "WE BOTH KNOW I CAN'T TALK BUT WHY AREN'T YOU TALKING TO ME YOU DUMB rear end in a top hat"

same w D-Dogg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broseph Brostar posted:

I am calling bullshit. I saw

nothing

in the game to support that.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Quiet's parasite is a stand in for sexist ideology. The parasite is something that invades and violates you from the inside, but then allows you to function at your task with brutal efficiency because of your inhuman detachment. In the case of Quiet she is elevated to a position of "tolerance" as an unparalleled sniper but in exchange is forced to become a sextoy, loses her personhood and agency, has to do sexy poses all the time, is unable to communicate except through giggles and moans, etc.

And in this way nerds can look at Quiet and go "Well, yes, she is objectified. But it's the parasite doing the objectification! I'm innocent!! You Diamond Dogs are the real murderers!!"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I am calling bullshit. I saw

nothing

in the game to support that.

Watch the cutscenes where she is getting tortured. Big Boss never makes any attempt to stop Kaz. Ocelot of all people is the only person that advocates for her. Either Big Boss is forces to hide his feelings for her because his obligation to his role, or he doesn't care for her at all.

I guess its up to you the player to determine it for yourself.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Digiwizzard posted:

Quiet's parasite is a stand in for sexist ideology. The parasite is something that invades and violates you from the inside, but then allows you to function at your task with brutal efficiency because of your inhuman detachment. In the case of Quiet she is elevated to a position of "tolerance" as an unparalleled sniper but in exchange is forced to become a sextoy, loses her personhood and agency, has to do sexy poses all the time, is unable to communicate except through giggles and moans, etc.

And in this way nerds can look at Quiet and go "Well, yes, she is objectified. But it's the parasite doing the objectification! I'm innocent!! You Diamond Dogs are the real murderers!!"

for sure, I was waiting for some specific reason for her choice in swimwear though... i guess it's just was xof gave her ohhhhhhhhh she's an infiltrator (like paz? I haven't played peace walker yet but i've seen the beach date scene)

this fits in with the parasites (including non-coveralls) being a metaphor for language/culture as well although there's a lot less direct evidence for that. mann i wish this game were longer. drat kojima drop the patch bro

edit: actually I think this might BE evidence, at least that culture/something memetic matters to the parasites in some way, in that we only saw quiet's cover-all strain applied to babes. is the thing we call objectification/sexism/all the things the metaphor encapsulates (or it's inverse--being the subject of it--given who the ones infected are) a language?

if memes and not language matter to the cover-alls, a variant of the vocal cord parasites, does that imply that the language killer parasites could in principle really work on any kind of cultural behaviour/belief/ideology? oh no

this is hinging on the zombie snipers being quiet clones for plot reasons, but that could simply be a metaphor without having a canon explanation. so I for one am not convinced about this weapon to weapon to surpass metal gear

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 15, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I was so ashamed of my deeds and actions i cried out of my wiener

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I want Big Boss to brutalize my body with a complex series of CQC holds and punches, and just when I think I've had enough, I want Venom to show up and they'll give me a double-teamed double-fisted CQC slobber-knocker beatdown.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Thanks boss

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Buschmaki posted:

I want Big Boss to brutalize my body with a complex series of CQC holds and punches, and just when I think I've had enough, I want Venom to show up and they'll give me a double-teamed double-handed CQC slobber-knocker beatdown.

We're so in synch i can't believe we ever argued

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Thanks for saving your animal side for me boss :)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought Quiet in the rain was a cute scene. Two brutal killers, just playing like kids in the rain.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Her crotch covering without the leggings might be the single worst executed pieces of earnestly attempted womens fashion in games.

Like whoever was in charge of drawing it had nothing but an inch thick black paint pen to use.

And they're replacing a drat bikini bottom, cmon. How could you do better than that?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Radix posted:

for sure, I was waiting for some specific reason for her choice in swimwear though... i guess it's just was xof gave her ohhhhhhhhh she's an infiltrator (like paz? I haven't played peace walker yet but i've seen the beach date scene)

this fits in with the parasites (including non-coveralls) being a metaphor for language/culture as well although there's a lot less direct evidence for that. mann i wish this game were longer. drat kojima drop the patch bro

edit: actually I think this might BE evidence, at least that culture/something memetic matters to the parasites in some way, in that we only saw the cover-all strain applied to babes. is the thing we call objectification/sexism/all the things the metaphor encapsulates (or it's inverse--being the subject of it--given who the ones infected are) a language?

if memes and not language matter to the cover-alls, a variant of the vocal cord parasites, does that imply that the language killer parasites could in principle really work on any kind of cultural behaviour/belief/ideology? oh no

this is hinging on the zombie snipers being quiet clones for plot reasons, but that could simply be a metaphor without having a canon explanation. so I for one am not convinced about this weapon to weapon to surpass metal gear

this is from a guy who nodded in approval as, once the zombie sniper chicks came out, the camera went right for the tits

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Thanks for saving your animal side for me boss :)

It's an honor to be held in your iron grip, boss.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Her crotch covering without the leggings might be the single worst executed pieces of earnestly attempted womens fashion in games.

Like whoever was in charge of drawing it had nothing but an inch thick black paint pen to use.

And they're replacing a drat bikini bottom, cmon. How could you do better than that?

A thong is better than a bikini, bro

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Panzeh posted:

this is from a guy who nodded in approval as, once the zombie sniper chicks came out, the camera went right for the tits
it's meta

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
i'll have you all know that i waited somewhere between 50 and 70 game hours (not including sleep) to jerk to quiet even once, to make sure it was okay

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I thought Quiet in the rain was a cute scene. Two brutal killers, just playing like kids in the rain.

Me too. I pretty much really liked all the story stuff in this game, I just wish there was more of it. There's no doubt about it that Kojima and his team had a lot more ambition with the story of this game then what they were able to accomplish. I feel like the ending, with Venom in Outer Heaven right before the start of the original Metal Gear, was always going to be the ending of this game (and a lot of people assumed so before release) but it really does feel like there was a whole lot of story in-between Skull Face's death and "Truth: The Man Who Sold The World" that wasn't realized. With people finding a title card for an entire third chapter of the game, it only lends more credence that this was indeed the case.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Between the happy birthday cutscene, the rain scene, and the scene w/ the gas Big Boss loving Quiet is canon. Although I haven't seen the torture scene yet so that'll probably be pretty what the gently caress, yeah.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Why does Quiet speak Navajo? Did they ever explain that? Are we just to assume parasite magic lets you speak Navajo? Why did Code Talker even guess something like that? I clearly missed something there. I get why she can safely speak Navajo, just not how the gently caress she knows how to speak Navajo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

Why does Quiet speak Navajo? Did they ever explain that? Are we just to assume parasite magic lets you speak Navajo? Why did Code Talker even guess something like that? I clearly missed something there. I get why she can safely speak Navajo, just not how the gently caress she knows how to speak Navajo.

I presume it is just a language she knows how to speak and Code Talker took a chance at it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nakar posted:

does why how

i don't understand this code

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Nakar posted:

Since there is no Navajo strain, I assume that everyone in XOF learned/was forced to learn Navajo so they could keep communicating around those pesky parasites.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

In It For The Tank posted:

Since there is no Navajo strain, I assume that everyone in XOF learned/was forced to learn Navajo so they could keep communicating around those pesky parasites.

Yeah, that was my assumption.

Code Talker also does the eyeshadow parasite thing, which iirc none of the other skulls do, whatever that is supposed to mean. Probably just parasites recognizing each other (though she also seems to do it when she's just angry?)

Having everyone in XOF learn the one language their super bio-weapon doesn't affect is the most obvious answer, though.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

zen death robot posted:

She speaks Navajo but no one else can except for Code Talker.

I don't even know what to say about the rest of this other than if you see a woman in a bikini and think dirty thoughts then really that's on you.

Wow, yeah. That's a weird oversight. I mean this character called Quiet could easily communicate with sign language or writing on a piece of paper and yet she doesn't for some reason. Like, why didn't they just put the hobbits on an eagle and fly to mount doom??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

Wow, yeah. That's a weird oversight. I mean this character called Quiet could easily communicate with sign language or writing on a piece of paper and yet she doesn't for some reason. Like, why didn't they just put the hobbits on an eagle and fly to mount doom??

It's a lot harder to justify when part of the plot has you recruiting another mute character who explicitly communicates via writing. It's more as if Sam and Frodo got to Mount Doom and Aragorn was waiting for them after riding the eagles there but nobody discussed it.

When you find out the actual reason for her muteness it becomes clear that it's a really really limited blockage.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

It's a lot harder to justify when part of the plot has you recruiting another mute character who explicitly communicates via writing. It's more as if Sam and Frodo got to Mount Doom and Aragorn was waiting for them after riding the eagles there but nobody discussed it.

When you find out the actual reason for her muteness it becomes clear that it's a really really limited blockage.

I know right, I mean if she just picked up a pen and paper she could avoid being tortured, or prevented all those people dying from the parasite, but instead she just sunbathes to pop music and intermittently rubs water all over her body. Why would she do this?? Unless.. Does this mean Quiet is a bad guy???

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This but I also laughed through the entirety of the original because I knew it would make people mad and I honestly can't tell if Kojima trolls on purpose or not anymore.

Hey, so, is there video anywhere of the scenes where you can pull the trigger to affect what happens? I never pulled the trigger on anyone and I'm curious how different those scenes play out without, y'know, having to replay them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

DaveKap posted:

This but I also laughed through the entirety of the original because I knew it would make people mad and I honestly can't tell if Kojima trolls on purpose or not anymore.

Hey, so, is there video anywhere of the scenes where you can pull the trigger to affect what happens? I never pulled the trigger on anyone and I'm curious how different those scenes play out without, y'know, having to replay them.

You can not pull the trigger? I tried to walk away or whatever and it didn't work.

Also, Hideo Kojima retweeted a model swap with ocelot - ddog the other day so it seems he thinks it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

redreader posted:

You can not pull the trigger? I tried to walk away or whatever and it didn't work.

Also, Hideo Kojima retweeted a model swap with ocelot - ddog the other day so it seems he thinks it's funny.
I think it's just Quiet and Skull Face, I forget if there's another scene. They frame the camera to practically match that of the end of MGS 3 when the game waits for you to pull the trigger to kill The Boss so I was like "... gently caress that, I'm just gonna wait!" Sure enough, he doesn't pull the trigger in both scenes. Thus, I'm curious how it happens otherwise. However, nothing I search for on YouTube brings them up so maybe I'll just chicken hat my way through those missions. I just... ugh... the Skull Face one is gonna take forever.

• Locked thread