Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

the dub's okay for people who like that, but it sounds so wrong to me when haruhi or yuki speak

I have learned that this feeling will in fact pass with time if you do not watch the original

I couldn't even stomach 2 minutes of Haruhi's voice back when I first heard the dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

"Don't worry! With your aim you'll never hit her anyway!"

Haruhi is mean. :smith:

The chronology of Sigh is important, since the end of Sigh is the day before Live Alive, the episode in the series where she's had the closest thing to an epiphany about her actions. She's noticeably meaner than usual in the first two Sigh episodes, like spilling hot water on Kyon and making Mikuru wear the outfit on the train.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
"Just follow my lead as always and everything will be fine."

"I'm worried."

E: Does Haruhi read Kyon's mind there like he sort of does hers like a minute before, or is he actually saying that out loud

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But yeah, aside from some pretty lighting and the funny joke of everyone being horrified at their assigned film roles, nothing super special in these two episodes.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well. This hasn't been bad, but I'm not sure if I get this arc yet. Still, looking forward to the rest, and to the movie.

If you remember some bits about episode 00, you might realize it'll start getting more interesting soon.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

thank you

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have learned that this feeling will in fact pass with time if you do not watch the original

I couldn't even stomach 2 minutes of Haruhi's voice back when I first heard the dub

yeah you can get used to a worse thing if you ignore the better thing, it's true. I've watched the dub a few times when I wanted haruhi on in the background and it's not bad as dubs go. but it's not haruhi.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

this is epic

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i got caught up doing normie poo poo with my friends again so i'll watch these tomorrow

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
this will probably be the first and only simulwatch I'll actually be around, 14 hour 7 day work weeks aren't fun

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well. This hasn't been bad, but I'm not sure if I get this arc yet. Still, looking forward to the rest, and to the movie.
it's kinda an odd stoping place for a first timer. but knowing what's coming, it's hard for me not to keep watching, for me

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

But yeah, aside from some pretty lighting and the funny joke of everyone being horrified at their assigned film roles, nothing super special in these two episodes.

yeah I don't want to just say it's all setup, but it really is like act 1 in a movie.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I like the dub since I can do other things while it's in the background, and it is perfectly serviceable, but Aya Hirano does bring a certain energy to Haruhi that Wendee Lee, as good a voice actress as she is, just can't emulate.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sighs stands out in my memory as the weakest of the Haruhi arcs, though until now I've only watched it the once. Haruhi transcends being merely bossy in it and becomes a bully. My ex, who had been watching the second season with me up to this point (even through e8), called it quits after I think the next episode due to this, and I couldn't really blame her. It also seems too drawn out. They knew how many episodes they wanted, and they knew they wanted Disappearance for the movie, so Sighs had to have five episodes; it would be better paced at four, or maybe even three.

That said, I still liked it back in the day, and I'm still liking it now. I have a much better appreciation for Kyoani's direction and camerawork now than I did six years ago, and though they're being more reserved on that front in these episodes, it's still good stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 15, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sighs shows a couple of characters at their worst, I'll have more to say on that later though, hopefully.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really liked Haruhi being all super-smiley in the first episode. She is a fine waifu, even though she's a bully.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I really liked Haruhi being all super-smiley in the first episode. She is a fine waifu, even though she's a bully.

Agree

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Sighs stands out in my memory as the weakest of the Haruhi arcs, though until now I've only watched it the once. Haruhi transcends being merely bossy in it and becomes a bully. My ex, who had been watching the second season with me up to this point (even through e8), called it quits after I think the next episode due to this, and I couldn't really blame her. It also seems too drawn out. They knew how many episodes they wanted, and they knew they wanted Disappearance for the movie, so Sighs had to lay five episodes; it would be better paced at four, or maybe even three.

That said, I still liked it back in the day, and I'm still liking it now. I have a much better appreciation for Kyoani's direction and camerawork now than I did six years ago, and though they're being more reserved on that front in these episodes, it's still good stuff.

i blame her :D the scene you're talking about is one of my favorites. it's the real leadup into the realizations of live alive

woops that's the episode after the upcoming one

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 15, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

i blame her :D the scene you're talking about is one of my favorites. it's the real leadup into the realizations of live alive

I love the scene too, it and the resolution of it are a couple of my favorite moments in the entire series

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

Yes! Watching this with Live Alive puts things in a different perspective. It turns this from the end of the TV show to a point in her journey. I meant to mention that. The fact that Haruhi's (and others', as has been mentioned) worst moments come at the end of the two seasons is unfortunate. I suppose it isn't an issue for those who watch chronologically.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I don't want to dismiss it as just a meta joke, but I think it's funny and accurate that being a director makes her more of a power tripping rear end in a top hat than being superhuman

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

also there's this wonderful moment when she's pissed as hell and looks like a cornered wolverine. looking forward to wednesday

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Haruhi cruelly stole Kyon's chance for an indirect kiss with Mikuru.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Haruhi cruelly stole Kyon's chance for an indirect kiss with Mikuru.

She takes every chance to drive a wedge between them

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yes! Watching this with Live Alive puts things in a different perspective. It turns this from the end of the TV show to a point in her journey. I meant to mention that. The fact that Haruhi's (and others', as has been mentioned) worst moments come at the end of the two seasons is unfortunate. I suppose it isn't an issue for those who watch chronologically.

From a book-reader's perspective, you're basically jumping from Melancholy straight into Sighs as well, since Sighs was Vol. 2. It takes the next couple volumes for her character to get softened out.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Finally got home from work, time to watch some good television!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

this will probably be the first and only simulwatch I'll actually be around, 14 hour 7 day work weeks aren't fun

you gotta make time for the eventual eva simul too!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I like how Kyon is slowly taking a more active role in the Brigade, straight up telling Haruhi to explain what it is she's doing before he and Mikuru will help.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

by then harvest will be over and I'll have time

I've never seen Eva so that sounds like it'll be interesting

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are "filthy rich", "indian summer", and "nick of time" correct translations of the headbands?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

when's that happening?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Are "filthy rich", "indian summer", and "nick of time" correct translations of the headbands?
my version didn't have subtitles for that this time but I remember those names. they sound like racehorses but kyon calls them "a failed attempt at aphorism" ?? no idea if they're correct

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

by then harvest will be over and I'll have time

I've never seen Eva so that sounds like it'll be interesting

You are in for a treat

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like how Kyon is slowly taking a more active role in the Brigade, straight up telling Haruhi to explain what it is she's doing before he and Mikuru will help.

kyon grows a lot in sigh. he might be my favorite in this arc actually, at least dramatically

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

kyon grows a lot in sigh. he might be my favorite in this arc actually, at least dramatically

Kyon grows up a lot in all of the big arcs, a problem I've noticed with them is his development seems to retread a few points though from arc to arc, that could just be him backpedalling a bit on it before it really sets in, I'll admit.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hannibal crossing the alps has nothing on Haruhi, Kyon.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

VostokProgram posted:

Hannibal crossing the alps has nothing on Haruhi, Kyon.

Haruhi is more like Alexander the Great than Hannibal. :hist101:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Kyon grows up a lot in all of the big arcs, a problem I've noticed with them is his development seems to retread a few points though from arc to arc, that could just be him backpedalling a bit on it before it really sets in, I'll admit.

yeah and I think that's pretty true to life, at least in my experience. permanent epiphanies just don't really happen.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's the name of the music that starts playing whenever Haruhi is coming up with an idea that will probably be hell on Kyon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

He starts being more self-aware about his tendencies by Intrigues though, I want to say, though that's mainly because Disappearance was a big enough deal that he realized he couldn't keep ignoring certain things.

• Locked thread