Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ProfessorBooty posted:

edit: By the way, I need at least one volunteer for a pilot to come in in September. I have on my volunteer list Akratic Method, Veloxyll, Sheep-Dodger, and Endomorphic.

Yeeeeessss. Stitch my exploded body back together so I can fail you in exciting new ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I will volunteer to help save the earth from this vile alien threat.

Preference for Canadian female soldier, infantry class, but whatever works.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Ah, the rushing air game, better start swapping out available fighters from other countries to cover your bases, Commander. A-XCOM North America will look forward to taking in the sights wherever you send us.

Also, looking forward to hearing back from Livingiseasy. I understand he is finding fantastic vacation spots he visited while on covert ops.

As for Long War realtalk, I'm partway through my own game on Normal, where I am starting to get a better sense of strategic priorities (about 50-60% of the way in) and figuring out how best to determine who to gene mod/psi/MEC out. I appreciate the perkchat in partciular, Commander, as I enjoy learning a little more about how to build a fighting force adequate for each situation as opposed to throwing whomever is available against an alien force and hoping the dice rolls are in my favour.

Keep it up!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What's the limit on fighters per continent, if there is one?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Lotish posted:

What's the limit on fighters per continent, if there is one?

6, both in Vanilla and in LW.

VVV: Oops, thanks. I haven't actually played Vanilla for a while now. Figured I'd "try one game of Long War" but it's just been living up to its name since...

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 15, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

6, both in Vanilla and LW.

Only four in vanilla.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

This may be a little boring for some folks, so I'll sum up what happens in spoiler-text below:

Horrible relay locations, we find a way to get Livingiseasy safely out of op, we manage to do so with no injuries (didn't finish the mission).

edit: I was running late this morning and forgot to talk about new perks.

Perk Talk

Tactical Sense vs. Opportunist vs. Mayhem (Tech. Sergeant Rocketeer)

I plan on taking Tactical sense on suppression rocketeers, because they take HEAT over Will to Survive.

Opportunist is good on the overwatch rocketeers. Before suppression was buffed this was necessary if you wanted the suppression to have some teeth.

Mayhem gives more damage for rockets.

You can do some neat stuff with the overwatch rocketeer build, and when I took more overwatch-centric styles I was generally impressed by the overwatch rocketeer. Unfortunately it takes a long time to get them going. Without opportunist things are dicier than before and they're hard to level up. This would complete the overwatch rocketeer build.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 15, 2015

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I don't think it's fair to call that a boring mission, Van Doorn is rocketing it and the rest of the squad is on point.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The phrase I've always heard for something going badly is tits up. Maybe there's another one. But at least no one died.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

seaborgium posted:

The phrase I've always heard for something going badly is tits up. Maybe there's another one. But at least no one died.

The one I was thinking of at that particular rambly time was 'Pear-shaped' :doh:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

While the limited squad covert ops are cool in concept, they still feel really lovely in practice. They are probably my least favorite thing about LW so far, everything else we've seen works out alright and is pretty interesting. Having your squad size completely ham-strung till you can't even deal 2 exalt without blowing all your consumables is a bit silly. Then again, that may just have been Booty being overly-cautious.

I do feel like that second rocket was a bit overkill on the lone operative, you did have infinite suppression after all, and could just pot shot him down. Then you might have been able to just wipe that massive pod out with the shredder + normal rocket follow up.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

I do feel like that second rocket was a bit overkill on the lone operative, you did have infinite suppression after all, and could just pot shot him down. Then you might have been able to just wipe that massive pod out with the shredder + normal rocket follow up.

Yeah, we discussed ways we could have finished the mission. Part of the thing was I decided from the beginning that it was unlikely for us to complete the mission, so we made plans based around that.

Having two rocketeers, a sapper engineer, and a scout would have been handy.

edit: Another issue is that with the phalanx armor we don't have any staying power while carrying consumables, so our options right now are quickly finish the mission, or be safe, unfortunately. New armor is coming 'soon'!

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

edit: By the way, I need at least one volunteer for a pilot to come in in September. I have on my volunteer list Akratic Method, Veloxyll, Sheep-Dodger, and Endomorphic.
I am happy to be used exploited expended in whatever manner most suits the Booty Plan (can I call it that?) though pilot seems a little... safe? I had secretly hoped for something a little more :xcom: with increased chance of catching plasma bolts with my teeth.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Endomorphic posted:

I am happy to be used exploited expended in whatever manner most suits the Booty Plan (can I call it that?) though pilot seems a little... safe? I had secretly hoped for something a little more :xcom: with increased chance of catching plasma bolts with my teeth.

I didn't update my roster excel file :blush:, so I'm not sure if you volunteered as a soldier. You were on my list of 'random people who posted in the thread without explicitly asking not to not be volunteered'. Also it was easy to come up with a call sign.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 15, 2015

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

ProfessorBooty posted:

You were on my list of 'random people who posted in the thread without explicitly asking not to not be volunteered'.
That is in fact exactly the list I was on. I'm happy to be of service.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Swarming abduction? This is gonna be good.

SaffronKit posted:

While the limited squad covert ops are cool in concept, they still feel really lovely in practice. They are probably my least favorite thing about LW so far, everything else we've seen works out alright and is pretty interesting. Having your squad size completely ham-strung till you can't even deal 2 exalt without blowing all your consumables is a bit silly.

Might as well just come out and say it: it's stupid. There's challenging difficulty that requires you to use strategy and skill to succeed and there's stupid pain-in-the-rear end difficulty where no amount of skill can get you through the pointless no-win scenarios (a lot of games call it something like "masochist" difficulty or something to that extent) and LW relies quite a bit on both. The readme says that you will have to abort/skip missions, which translates to "we feel the need to throw deliberately unbalanced bullshit at you, because reasons"

*Reason#1 probably being that if you keep winning tactical missions, you almost can't lose the game except deliberately sabotaging yourself on the strategic side.

Beta15f added the "we are legion" second wave option that lets you take 6 on extraction missions, so maybe they at least recognized all the testers pointing out the difference?

ProfessorBooty posted:

I didn't update my roster excel file :blush:, so I'm not sure if you volunteered as a soldier. You were on my list of 'random people who posted in the thread without explicitly asking not to not be volunteered'. Also it was easy to come up with a call sign.

Yeah, I think my request was for "whatever amuses you most" and you mentioned something about making me an engineer because I'm a huge nerd that examines stuff like expected values of randomly generated events with randomly determined outcomes :eng101:

Speaking of which, there's another new second wave option "perfect information" that shows the %chance on a lot of rolls in combat, which really makes it a lot less convoluted to evaluate game mechanics like how ridiculously dangerous Floaters are with evasion/flight+height+carbines, except they suck at overwatch (until they get upgrades)

And how good suppression is. Un-spoiler: suppression is even better than ProfessorBooty makes it out to be, but I don't know whether he mentioned that the suppressor taking any damage cancels the suppression, which is probably why aliens preferentially target them.

edit: one thing that should be mentioned, even though smoke/chem grenades highlight units that will be inside the cloud, it doesn't actually apply the cloud effect to that unit unless the center of the tile is enclosed in the sphere.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 15, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

silentsnack posted:

Might as well just come out and say it: it's stupid. There's challenging difficulty that requires you to use strategy and skill to succeed and there's stupid pain-in-the-rear end difficulty where no amount of skill can get you through the pointless no-win scenarios (a lot of games call it something like "masochist" difficulty or something to that extent) and LW relies quite a bit on both. The readme says that you will have to abort/skip missions, which translates to "we feel the need to throw deliberately unbalanced bullshit at you, because reasons"

*Reason#1 probably being that if you keep winning tactical missions, you almost can't lose the game except deliberately sabotaging yourself on the strategic side.

The bigger reason may be that it is very difficult to design missions that are both winnable and appropriately challenging, especially on high difficulty levels or with something like LW which advertises itself as being hard. And what does "winnable" even mean in this context - a different squad makeup may have been able to beat the mission but on any other map (or even with less crappy node placement), this squad would have done fine.

One lazy way of solving this problem this is to just make the missions randomly difficult and say "yeah you can't always win and that is totally by design, we even have a method called IsImpossibleMission and if it returns TRUE, we make the mission literally impossible." It's not like anyone is going to dig through the code to find out.

quote:

edit: one thing that should be mentioned, even though smoke/chem grenades highlight units that will be inside the cloud, it doesn't actually apply the cloud effect to that unit unless the center of the tile is enclosed in the sphere.

:psyduck: How difficult would it have been for the "WillUnitBeCoveredByGrenade" method that the GUI calls to highlight a unit be the same method that's called when applying effects?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

monster on a stick posted:

:psyduck: How difficult would it have been for the "WillUnitBeCoveredByGrenade" method that the GUI calls to highlight a unit be the same method that's called when applying effects?

I think the 'highlight' effect was an Enemy Within addition, and it looks for something else. My guess is because the game depends on a physics engine it can't properly predict AOE effects. The AOE is casted, then afterward the physics engine tells the game whether a unit is covered. I don't know if this makes sense at all and I might be overthinking it. It would probably slow the engine to a crawl if the highlight effect had to model based on what the physics engine would return.

I may have said this before, but take what I have to say with a grain of salt, I literally have no idea how these things work, and I just make guesses based on (non-game) physics modeling I've done in the past and what I see on screen.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Throwables in XCOM are hosed up anyway. They appear to be mostly modelled by the game engine calculating a trajectory and checking for intersections with objects before you even throw them which lets the physics system skip doing any collision detection while in flight (so you end up with things like rockets flying through walls). But then for some reason the physics engine takes over when they settle and you get stupid glitches like battle scanners falling through seams.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
It would be really cool if in XCOM 2 there's a separate type of smoke grenade that doesn't provide defense but acts as a Line of Sight blocker (to hide troop movements), like how they're used in modern combat. I just figured I'd share that with you guys :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ProfessorBooty posted:

It would be really cool if in XCOM 2 there's a separate type of smoke grenade that doesn't provide defense but acts as a Line of Sight blocker (to hide troop movements), like how they're used in modern combat. I just figured I'd share that with you guys :)

When I first started Xcom smoke confused me because I thought it did work that way. Until I actually used it, of course.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Lotish posted:

When I first started Xcom smoke confused me because I thought it did work that way. Until I actually used it, of course.

Same. I always thought they would block my sight for a long time. Then I used one thinking it would do that and it didn't.

Any mission where no one dies is a good mission in my mind.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I will say one thing I forgot too earlier: it warmed the cockles of my heart when Kidneyman was all "Dammit why can't you be here Saffron!" I missed not being able to murderize that tasty set-up too, Kidneyman.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Man, I'm missing Van Doorn's slightly mismatched combat quotes for firing missiles.

I mean he sounded so pumped on firing missiles otherwise. He just won't go down without a fight.

Cybersix
Jul 12, 2005
some kinky chick dressed up in a black cape and matching tights
In no way would I call that a boring mission. A lost battle, sure, but everyone made it back alive and relatively unscathed, which is a success in my book. :) Plus quite a few shots and rockets with a nice entertainment/excitement payoff!

Pulling off a win with that particular start and setup seems like it'd have to be by the skin of your teeth - and you'd still have to know it was coming to be prepared for it. Ah well. Better luck next time, "Summertime."

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

My mangled remains are ready to take flight if you call them up Captain.
(Or stuff them in an unsuspecting Rookie, or do whatever you feel is appropriate with them, it's not like I have much choice in the matter anymore :D)

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Cybersix posted:

Better luck next time, "Summertime."

Speaking of, we're looking at 100 MELD at the moment. Shouldn't we look at genemodding our single infiltrator operative? Not sure what research we lack for the high jump legs, but that really would aid in his mobility.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That was an amusing mission. I do suspect it could have been won with more frugal consumable use, but wouldn't have been nearly as safe, so I don't think cutting and running was unreasonable, especially when MEGAFUCKDEATHSQUAD rolled up and almost immediately got reinforced on the far side of the map. Four dudes just isn't enough to kill Exalts fast enough for that kind of thing without silly In The Zone chains or great explosives luck.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GunnerJ posted:

What? Like, what? The hell is the design philosophy behind this?

I modded this back in btw.

E: I also can't believe I haven't volunteered yet so put me in as some female soldier and/or pirate.

E2: also Booty if you play MGSV I think I've supported your FOB a few times now.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 17, 2015

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
So this took only a little bit of searching, but was worth it given my new role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRDsyQjnMI&t=8m11s

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Endomorphic posted:

So this took only a little bit of searching, but was worth it given my new role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asRDsyQjnMI&t=8m11s

I guess no one told you you'd actually have to fly the plane, huh?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Let's talk about GUNS

The Alloy Cannon, Alloy Strike Rifles, and the Heavy Gauss Rifle are similar to their ballistic counterparts but come with an extra +2 (average) damage.

The Recoilless Rifle is rocket launcher that does +2 damage over the conventional rocket launcher (it also retains the DR-cutting abilities of Gauss weapons).

The Gauss Long Rifle is an amazing gun. +2 damage over ballistic, it halves the effect of the 'hardened' perk, meaning that a sniper equipping this gun has a base 25% chance to crit an exposed hardened target (Berserkers, mechtoids, landed and closed cyberdiscs, other enemies later), and it comes with HEAT ammo. This is at the cost of only having 1 base ammo. The good news is that things like ammo conservation, extended mags, and lock 'n load improve how many rounds it carries (I think the theoretical max is 4 shots).

I may have been wrong in my discussion of how the Quenchguns foundry project might work. If a target has 1 DR, then it is true you have a 1/3 chance of ignoring that DR, or a 2/3 chance with Quenchguns. What I'm not certain of, is if low cover (2/3 chance of having 1 DR) is absolutely ignored, or if a target with, say 1.33 DR is reduced to 0.66 DR, which would be a good improvement, as it 'effectively' reduces such a target from 1-2 DR to 0-1 DR.

That said I still think the foundry project isn't worth it, based on cost. I forget how much it costs, but I know it costs 2 alien plasma carbines, which turns into a rare-ish weapon as you move toward the midgame. In most my games I find myself short on Alien Rifles, and to a larger extent, Alien Carbines.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
To my best understanding: I believe that the Gauss DR test is made after any DR tests the target makes to "set" their DR. So a target in low cover tests a 2/3 chance to see if they get +1 DR, and then the Gauss weapon tests a 1/3 chance [or 2/3 with quenchguns] to reduce their DR by 1.

So the 1.33 DR guy has a 1/3 chance of having DR 2, and a 2/3 of DR 1. Then the gauss weapon has a 1/3 chance of reducing it by 1 [2/3 with Quenchguns]. So in essence, vs a normal Gauss weapon, he's got a 2/9 chance of having DR 0, a 5/9 chance of having DR 1, and a 2/9 chance of having DR 2.

Quenchguns flips around some of the math: Now he has a 4/9 chance of DR 0, a 4/9 chance of DR 1, and only a 1/9 chance of maintaining DR 2.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Roadway maps and sniper duos? Yes please, I want to see that more often. I love how the aliens had no idea what the hell was going on till it was too late.

And while the Alloy Strike Rifles sounds like the better choice in the long run... who cares, dat Alloy Cannon. Can't wait to see the numbers it puts out!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ProfessorBooty posted:

1-2-3-4-5. Done? Thank you.

We have Sheep Dodger here. So what we did is we gathered up Sheep Dodger's remains from that crashed UFO mission and dumped it into a cockpit with a little sprinkle of MELD. And uh- it sorta grew tentacles and, you know, took the controls. So that's great, to have a [sic] experienced soldier as a pilot, who died on his first mission as a soldier.

Oh poo poo, we Umgah now.

Source.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Standard mission, sucks about the crazy high sectoid shot. Dual snipers did WORK today, hilarious that Lotish has YET to figure out how to be a sergeant.

Anytime I hear new rookies I get so excited because I keep hoping it'll be me and I don't die in a pile of death.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Step right up Sectoids. please ignore the corpses, I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong if you take that cover that seemingly no one is flanking.

Anyway, that mission went insanely well outside the random 7 damage shot Fister took, hope to see what the Alloy Cannon can do in Saffronkit's hands

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Clearly I became a medic to SAVE lives, not take them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Lotish posted:

Clearly I became a medic to SAVE lives, not take them.

Soldiers are the safest when there's no hostiles to shoot them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Soldiers are the safest when there's no hostiles to shoot them!

on the other hand, our soldiers can't die if they're already dead

• Locked thread