Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
This show redeems TWD empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Can the surly Salvadoran dad be the main character? He's better than everyone else.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Can the surly Salvadoran dad be the main character? He's better than everyone else.

He's got second billing on the credits, IIRC. Ruben Blades owns and I hope he sticks around for a while.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ragnarok the Red posted:

This. So far he's my favorite character in the show, even with how little we've seen of him. Hopefully he doesn't bite it when the wife inevitably dies from infection and turns.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mister Adequate posted:

Remember that Madison straight lied to the military woman about the burial plot, which I read as being because she thinks Dad will be looking at a murder rap or something. In a universe with no zombie media, zombies would be an incredibly bizarre thing to comprehend, a total Outside Context Problem.

They just mentioned how the asian dude was taken away because he was exposed to the blood of his zombie wife, even though he wasn't bit… Assuming that if Madison mentioned it was a zombie that they shot, they would take her boyfriend to whatever secret place the asian guy went.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
If it were Predators in L.A, he'd be hosed. But Zombies? Nah, he can handle that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

They just mentioned how the asian dude was taken away because he was exposed to the blood of his zombie wife, even though he wasn't bit… Assuming that if Madison mentioned it was a zombie that they shot, they would take her boyfriend to whatever secret place the asian guy went.

I bust up laughing when he came home with a "NO loving WAY."

He shows up all smiles with perfect luggage and a pressed suit. Who the flying gently caress on the show thought that looked like a good idea. It's like "How the gently caress did he get through the traffic and panic and roadblocks?" If he showed up ragged and freaked out, the whole thing would have played out without making me just laugh and repeatedly say "bullshit."

Also I love how being a meth head gives you psychic powers to understand the situation. Maybe we'll find out zombies started with bad meth.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm guessing the season finale will be the army losing to zombies and one of them saying "we are on our own now" and the drug kid saying "we always were."

I hope he lives so long he outlives the show, and never ever becomes sober. I don't want to watch him detox. Once he's clean, he'll be just another annoying character. As it stands he's consistently entertaining. He needs to ramp it up and go full Hunter S Thompson by season 3 or 4.

Seriously between the father and him, they're the only characters I give the slightest shits about so far. His ex-wife is incredibly annoying thus far.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 15, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't want to watch him detox. Once he's clean, he'll be just another annoying character. As it stands he's consistently entertaining. He needs to ramp it up and go full Hunter S Thompson by season 3 or 4.

I want to see him do massive amounts of ether so he can mimic the walkers and get the old lady some much needed antibiotics.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Remy Marathe posted:

So instead of one running out and reaching the pickup in literally 10 seconds, preventing Travis from walking into a known zombie ambush, they all quietly claw their way through a garden maze to reach the very sliding door they just watched a zombie disappear into. Best case said zombie would be between them and Travis. That whole scene just made no physical sense to me.

I'm with you on this, although madison was yelling out travis's name, so it wasn't exactly quiet but just going out the front door would have been easier and made more sense. Of course then we couldn't get up to Maze Shenanigans. It's lazy storytelling and insulting and the show has been remarkably good at avoiding this kind of poo poo so I'll let this one slide.

Other complaints about the daughter not being told are kind of silly, she obviously was going to get hysterical once she realized her bf was a deadite and welp, she did. I also actually like that everyone isn't on the exact same page with what is exactly happening to people although I get why people are fed up with Travis, that anti-gun poo poo isn't going to fly.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MeLKoR posted:

I want to see him do massive amounts of ether so he can mimic the walkers and get the old lady some much needed antibiotics.

I want to see him do bath salts.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

warcrimes posted:

I'm with you on this, although madison was yelling out travis's name, so it wasn't exactly quiet but just going out the front door would have been easier and made more sense. Of course then we couldn't get up to Maze Shenanigans. It's lazy storytelling and insulting and the show has been remarkably good at avoiding this kind of poo poo so I'll let this one slide.

The most annoying part is that people were yelling at Travis from the neighbor's house, and he could not hear them in the living room he was in.

Minutes later the sister yells from the neighbor's house and everyone hears it instantly from the living room.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

warcrimes posted:

although I get why people are fed up with Travis, that anti-gun poo poo isn't going to fly.

On the other hand, it's been less than a full day since any of these characters (save for the son, but he just thought he was going insane for a while) has actually seen or interacted about zombies. Not a whole lot of time for someone to review their personal tenets.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The behavior of the mom and dad makes a lot more sense if you keep in mind that they both believe this is a temporary issue. They think the government will intervene and cure the people who are sick. They probably still believe that even at the end of this episode. Hell if we didn't know the outcome already, the national guard doing a cordon makes it look as if civilization is winning.

We already know Madison is an overprotective coddling helicopter parent. From the look of things she really enabled druggie's past behavior and continues to do so. Makes sense to me that she would try to shield Alicia from what's going on, even if that's what I wouldn't do.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
So far Papa is my favorite character. You can kind of tell that he's the abrasive, 'rear end in a top hat' character they're throwing in... But so far, he's the most reasonable rear end in a top hat I've seen in these kinds of shows-- in contrast to them literally going "Lets throw a drug-dealing thuggy racist into the group lol". I also like how he spreads misinformation that doesn't actually sound dumb-- like insisting that they should burn the body because that's how the disease spreads. I mean, its going to end up totally wrong, but its obvious how he drew that kind of conclusion. He has reasonable flaws that don't seem like sheer lunacy. Its refreshing.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

KoRMaK posted:

lol a whole scene in spanish with subtitles

speaking in spanish for a whole scene is the new hipster/media marketing thing to capture the latino market

narcos is doing it. its fine, i have a small comfort issue with it though becuase when i watch something i alot of times take my eyes off of it so its a small pita where i have to keep my eyes on the screen when there is just dialog playing out- but i think its a funny trend because some marketing group is probably driving it. they probably had a meeting about capturing more demos. so its not driven altruistically, just plain old capitalism

I was glad they did it for Narcos. It sounds so stupid when they speak english between native speaker of a foreign language (Marco Polo)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Fog Tripper posted:

"These barrels have a cylinder, bore choke, for wider spread of the ammo."
OK this poo poo is triggering my TFR side in a big way. It is so :psyduck:

It's a thing. I guess you could try to argue semantics that it's not a choke because there's no choke in it, but it's still considered a choke type. Also I like that he explained that the buckshot is more effective than birdshot.

It's still a huge shitshow, although I thought it was awesome they had the military show up because I think 90% of the people on Earth assume if this poo poo ever happened the military would clean it up in a few days time. Now I'm just curious to see how we go from mostly contained to end of the world. Also goon kid better show up next episode.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 15, 2015

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Predictions I'm pulling entirely out of my rear end:

El Salvadoran Dad's wife dies and turns from her infection since he doesn't trust the military enough to go for help. Her turning costs his daughter's life when she's attacked by the mom. Travis' whiny bitch kid dispatches latin zombie mom with the shotgun (because foreshadowing).

Drama ensues between Travis and son over using the gun, tension between El Salvadad and Travis/son over "killing" his zombie wife. This is when everyone figures out you turn when you die no matter the cause. Military alerted to situation by the gunshot, straight up executes the mortally wounded daughter when they see she's been bitten. Travis freaks out because he thinks she could have been helped, El Salvadad's fears of the military are confirmed and they make up and eventually hatch an escape plan because...

The military is pissed the family wasn't upfront with them about the injured person/eventual zombie, puts them all in quarantine in the house because they were exposed to it (and can't send them wherever they sent the Asian neighbor because situation is deteriorating). Family is now ironically the "lucky ones" to be in military custody. Escape plan is executed in season finale as military defenses start to be over-run. At some point during the escape, ex-wife takes a mortal wound from zombie or otherwise and has to be put down by the girlfriend (because reversal of fortune foreshadowing) because Travis is still a huge pussy bitch. Bonus points if she uses that hammer she was gonna use on the neighbor.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

lol a whole scene in spanish with subtitles

speaking in spanish for a whole scene is the new hipster/media marketing thing to capture the latino market

narcos is doing it. its fine, i have a small comfort issue with it though becuase when i watch something i alot of times take my eyes off of it so its a small pita where i have to keep my eyes on the screen when there is just dialog playing out- but i think its a funny trend because some marketing group is probably driving it. they probably had a meeting about capturing more demos. so its not driven altruistically, just plain old capitalism

this is from pages back but just want to say this post is incredibly dumb

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

wuffles posted:

El Salvadad

This made me laugh.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

ChesterJT posted:

It's a thing. I guess you could try to argue semantics that it's not a choke because there's no choke in it, but it's still considered a choke type. Also I like that he explained that the buckshot is more effective than birdshot.

It's still a huge shitshow, although I thought it was awesome they had the military show up because I think 90% of the people on Earth assume if this poo poo ever happened the military would clean it up in a few days time. Now I'm just curious to see how we go from mostly contained to end of the world. Also goon kid better show up next episode.

I knew the second I heard that quote gun spergs on the internet were gonna go crazy about some minor possible-but-not-really inaccuracy.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

wuffles posted:

El Salvadoran Dad's wife dies and turns from her infection since he doesn't trust the military enough to go for help. Her turning costs his daughter's life when she's attacked by the mom. Travis' whiny bitch kid dispatches latin zombie mom with the shotgun (because foreshadowing).

Drama ensues between Travis and son over using the gun, tension between El Salvadad and Travis/son over "killing" his zombie wife. This is when everyone figures out you turn when you die no matter the cause. Military alerted to situation by the gunshot, straight up executes the mortally wounded daughter when they see she's been bitten. Travis freaks out because he thinks she could have been helped, El Salvadad's fears of the military are confirmed and they make up and eventually hatch an escape plan because...

The military is pissed the family wasn't upfront with them about the injured person/eventual zombie, puts them all in quarantine in the house because they were exposed to it (and can't send them wherever they sent the Asian neighbor because situation is deteriorating). Family is now ironically the "lucky ones" to be in military custody. Escape plan is executed in season finale as military defenses start to be over-run. At some point during the escape, ex-wife takes a mortal wound from zombie or otherwise and has to be put down by the girlfriend (because reversal of fortune foreshadowing) because Travis is still a huge pussy bitch. Bonus points if she uses that hammer she was gonna use on the neighbor.

THIS IS SO GOOD

gently caress it if it doesn't go down like this

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

limeincoke posted:

I knew the second I heard that quote gun spergs on the internet were gonna go crazy about some minor possible-but-not-really inaccuracy.

With diagrams and everything.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
As much as ive defended this show and made fun of the people hatewatching, I dont know that Ill stick with it if they start having drama between Travis and his ex wife. Just a really obvious place for the show to go and its been done a lot. Hopefully the crappy kid doesnt last too much longer, hes a prime threat to get more interesting characters killed like the druggie and the el salvador guy

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Still not completely feeling this show. I can't really latch on to any of the characters yet. TWD had me hook line and sinker all first season. This just seems a bit lukewarm.

Also thank you for having a show finally mention the difference between bird and buck show. When that house zombie got Dick Cheney'ed I was like, "God drat first time I've seen them use a shotgun in a show with birdshot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If we were really going to gun sperg all the buckshot I've ever seen has longer brass on it. That red shell looked like a sporting clay shell.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

limeincoke posted:

To me the most inaccurate part of the episode was that anyone would want to be the shoe in Monopoly.

V Scottie dog or nothin'.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 15, 2015

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LadyPictureShow posted:

To me the most inaccurate part of the episode was that anyone would want to be the shoe in Monopoly.

Better than a loving iron.

Edit : real question - please try to be honest.

I've fired shotguns since I was seven and carry a pistol (very legally) on a daily basis. I'm super comfortable with almost having 25 years of firearms experience.

In an apocalypse setting how would you guys feel about gun and potentially using them for protection? The dads aversion to guns made me laugh but being a huge flaming liberal I had to remind myself that the majority of my friends find the concept of gun ownership and use completely offensive. Do you personally think it would be long before you wanted a firearm?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 15, 2015

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cactus posted:

With diagrams and everything.

I think he was referring to the other guy who made it an issue in the first place. Sorry if that picture I google searched for 3 seconds to find to make a point about the show this thread is here for upset your delicate sensibilities.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wuffles posted:

Yeah I'm gonna say no. If Salvadad lost both his wife and daughter he'd have nothing left to go on, that dude would either kill himself immediately or flip out, blame everyone around him and go terminator on their rear end.

Captain Log posted:

In an apocalypse setting how would you guys feel about gun and potentially using them for protection? The dads aversion to guns made me laugh but being a huge flaming liberal I had to remind myself that the majority of my friends find the concept of gun ownership and use completely offensive. Do you personally think it would be long before you wanted a firearm?
My opposition to guns in the hands of the public is predicated on a functioning legal system, once civilization starts crumbling the gloves come off.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 15, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fancy stats posted:

On the other hand, it's been less than a full day since any of these characters (save for the son, but he just thought he was going insane for a while) has actually seen or interacted about zombies. Not a whole lot of time for someone to review their personal tenets.

I thought her jumping to "I am going to bash my neighbor's skull in" leap was a little fast, for sure.

The writers are DEFINITELY struggling to not infuse their characters with zombie movie knowledge. Unless you do drugs. Then you know what's up immediately. Meth and oxy: Zombie plague super drugs?

Captain Log posted:

The only time NOT using a gun in the apocalypse is if you're critically low on ammo or are playing Resident Evil Revelations 2 as the co-op partner.

There's a difference between 'not liking guns' in civilized society and 'not liking guns' when the world is full of literal monsters. A huge one. If you can't make that leap, you'll be zombie poo poo in a week. I don't think the show was too off by having him anti-gun right now, he still thinks "things might go back to normal" outside of the dead neighbor in their yard. He still has some time to learn.

ED: Actually that's a good question, do zombies poo poo? If they don't, we should totally see some more bloated overfed zombies.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 16, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really liked the sequence where they drove past the hospital/drove through the hills and saw the power slowly going out across the city. That was a nice bit of cinematography.

Yeah that was actually good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I don't think it's supposed to have sunk in that it's the apocalypse yet. It's only been a few days and there's still a police/soldier presence. Then again I'm not sure, since some of them do seem to have adopted the survival of the fittest do what needs to be done mindset rather quickly, with their hammers and their buckrogerbird shotguns. Have they not seen The Mist? Don't rush into final solutions you might regret!

In the original show it was emphasised that cities were a deathtrap, and the characters spent the first few years out in the countryside (farm, prison etc) and have only recently moved to a more suburban area. I'm hoping this show differentiates and focuses on how surviving the apocalypse works when you're stuck in a highly urban setting, which is why I'm hoping all this talk of going to the desert comes to nothing. Though I wouldn't put it past them to have the whole of season two be based in some remote inter-state gas station where nothing happens but dialogue and characters driving off in cars for no reason and almost getting everyone killed.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

moist turtleneck posted:

How many people live in this three bedroom house?

Hm, that would be strange but I guess you people have big families

Very Catholic.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cactus posted:

I don't think it's supposed to have sunk in that it's the apocalypse yet. It's only been a few days and there's still a police/soldier presence. Then again I'm not sure, since some of them do seem to have adopted the survival of the fittest do what needs to be done mindset rather quickly, with their hammers and their buckrogerbird shotguns. Have they not seen The Mist? Don't rush into final solutions you might regret!

Oh yeah. They're definitely jumping the gun on the "know what's up and make peace with it" thing for some characters, way too quickly.

As far as that store owner is concerned there was a riot. That's it. A riot broke out. Then some odd stuff happened while.. going with strangers to their house, instead of trying to get to another hospital not in the riot. It doesn't make any loving sense. Yet it makes more sense than TWD often does so I'm not really hating the show, just driven crazy with the small plot holes that are /everywhere/.

Really that's kind of interesting about this show. I haven't seen any huge what the gently caress plot holes, just millions of tiny ones that aren't very big on their own but add up for an uneven experience.

quote:

In the original show it was emphasised that cities were a deathtrap, and the characters spent the first few years out in the countryside (farm, prison etc) and have only recently moved to a more suburban area. I'm hoping this show differentiates and focuses on how surviving the apocalypse works when you're stuck in a highly urban setting, which is why I'm hoping all this talk of going to the desert comes to nothing. Though I wouldn't put it past them to have the whole of season two be based in some remote inter-state gas station where nothing happens but dialogue and characters driving off in cars for no reason and almost getting everyone killed.

The biggest problem is this doesn't mesh up with how zombies work in the original show AT ALL. That riot should have been a full on zombie horde in minutes, if even a couple zombies were in the middle of it. Not to mention the fact that they've somehow been entirely sneaky until now.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

People don't turn into zombies immediately upon being bitten by one in TWD. They get sick. Then they die. Then they, sometime in the next 12 hours or so, turn into a zombie. If they are bitten and killed by a zombie it is still anywhere from immediate to 12 hours later that they reanimate.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

A hospital would quickly notice the dead rising. They would probably notice first, instead of random people dying on the streets.
Like if this morning all the dead starting becoming zombies, the first caees would be in hospitals and in car wrecks. Police would show up and get bit, along with nurses, who would all go to the hospital for bite treatments.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I like to handwave all that stuff away by thinking it's just different versions of the virus mutating and evolving, affecting small pockets of people at different rates. The specifics of the magic zombie curse and how it works beyond the broad strokes aren't that important, the zombies are just a catalyst to end civilisation and put pressure on the survivors.

What this and the parent show does best is overall atmosphere. The original got the whole "dead world" feel down, and this one, so far, is nailing the "dying world" feeling too. It's the little things like the hobo zombie in the background, the police loading their car with water, the abandoned school, the lights going out and them driving past the hospital shootout, the neighbour getting attacked across the street and the mother shutting it out... all that stuff is great. How it will fare once we're past that stage and in the same dead world as the parent show is anyones guess and that's why I hope it keeps the inner-city setting but for now that is what I'm enjoying the most about this show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I like that the foot injury had a fresh, real bandage on it. I hope the whole El Salvadorian family make it to S2.

Also LOL at the distinctly pink airplane which is going to be the webseries spinoff. Yeah that wasn't even a little subtle.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

A hospital would quickly notice the dead rising. They would probably notice first, instead of random people dying on the streets.
Like if this morning all the dead starting becoming zombies, the first caees would be in hospitals and in car wrecks. Police would show up and get bit, along with nurses, who would all go to the hospital for bite treatments.

The creator of the comics has said multiple times that the reason he doesn't go into how the virus works is because it isn't interesting and has nothing to add to the story. But that didn't stop you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Thanks to who ever mentioned the book Earth Abides. Its really good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

• Locked thread