Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Craptacular! posted:

Anybody read anything on an iPad Mini? Can you get the job done? I own an aging 16:10 Android that's on the edge of obsolesence and even if I do make that my dedicated comic reader I don't want to lug it around with a more modern tablet with me.

I read comics and textbooks just fine on my Mini 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Opopanax posted:

New iPads were just announced today so there should be a price drop very soon

There already was on the iPad Mini 2!

Now if only I could make myself get an Apple product. Common, new Nexus tablet!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is the Green Lantern stuff good? I read some of it but I never really had a connection with any Lantern.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Green Lantern Corps from Gibbons/Tomasi and Pat Gleason was so good.
It was the N52 Batman and Robin team's book before that, if that helps.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

bobkatt013 posted:

Is the Green Lantern stuff good? I read some of it but I never really had a connection with any Lantern.

In reading the Geoff Johns omnibus right now and am having a ton of fun with it.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's fine for me. I read fit-to-width landscape and it's big enough.

Seconding this.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What should I get in the Rick Remender sale?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've been picking up Deadly Class though it hasn't captured my interest as much as Remender's other work. Some people really love it and I hope the next arc brings me fully onboard.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Savage Sword of Conan collections for sale on Comixology. Some awesome stuff in there

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Low any good? It's set underwater, so I want it to be... :ohdear:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shameless posted:

Savage Sword of Conan collections for sale on Comixology. Some awesome stuff in there

Yessssssssss

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Low, Black Science and Deadly Class.
No idea about Strange Girl or the other earlier stuff.

e: Ooh. Might check out Sorrow for some early black and white Francesco Francavilla art.

e: Bit singy on the Conan discounts. C'mon, DH. Best foot forward.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 11, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shameless posted:

This. Completely.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Deadly Class is amazing.

Strange Girl is fun and nice, but the last issue was perfectly thought provoking and a great ending.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The entire first volume of Ultimate Spider-man is on sale.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ultimate Spider-Man is Very Good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Does Marvel only do sales for the first volume of collectioned editions? I've seen a lot of 50% off for every issue, but never for the trades.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Does Marvel only do sales for the first volume of collectioned editions? I've seen a lot of 50% off for every issue, but never for the trades.

I remember when Daredevil came out there were sales for a poo poo ton of trades.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Comixology is pulling their lovely Windows app from the store at the end of the year. If you have used it in the past you get a $5 credit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dsmif posted:

Comixology is pulling their lovely Windows app from the store at the end of the year. If you have used it in the past you get a $5 credit.

I tried using it once or twice. Does that count?

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

I think so, I only checked it every now and then to see if they had improved it (They never improved it).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Dsmif posted:

Are they replacing it with a working one? Or allowing you to view HD comics in the web browser? I feel like they straight up stole money from me.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

beergod posted:

Are they replacing it with a working one? Or allowing you to view HD comics in the web browser? I feel like they straight up stole money from me.

As far as I can tell, No and No.

The email tells you to use the web browser, which now has smart lists and the new library browsing from the iOS and Android apps, but still only in SD.

It's pretty dog poo poo to be honest. I hate the way content is used to enforce hardware lock in.

Maybe someday DC and/or Marvel will go DRM free, but once again it seems that the pirates get a better experience than the paying customers.

Dsmif fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 15, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, if this results in them allowing you to view comics on the mobile site from Windows devices (presumably whenever Win10 Mobile/the mobile version of Edge launches), I'd say it's a step up.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, if this results in them allowing you to view comics on the mobile site from Windows devices (presumably whenever Win10 Mobile/the mobile version of Edge launches), I'd say it's a step up.

The Library sorting options on the website are certainly better then the non existent ones in the windows app.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
If they just had HD comics in the web browser I wouldn't give a poo poo about the app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

beergod posted:

If they just had HD comics in the web browser I wouldn't give a poo poo about the app.

Speaking of, do they have any HD samples anywhere? I'm debating grabbing an iPad Mini 4 to replace my dying iPad 3 and comics is the only thing I haven't had to try at a store.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dsmif posted:

As far as I can tell, No and No.

The email tells you to use the web browser, which now has smart lists and the new library browsing from the iOS and Android apps, but still only in SD.

It's pretty dog poo poo to be honest. I hate the way content is used to enforce hardware lock in.

Maybe someday DC and/or Marvel will go DRM free, but once again it seems that the pirates get a better experience than the paying customers.
Honestly, even with the hassles with Comixology, it's still vastly easier than piracy.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I personally love Comixology. I do all my reading on android, and a vast majority of what I read has a drm free backup that I stick on a Google drive. I have rebought many of the issues I got in humble bundles because comixology is so drat convenient. The full pages are nice on tablet, and the guided view works great on my phone.

No complaints from me!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, even with the hassles with Comixology, it's still vastly easier than piracy.

Agreed. If they just fixed the Windows bullshit I would spend a bunch of money there.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

You might be right, leaving the storage and library management to them is great. And buying comics at work and then downloading them to my iPad is magic.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I personally love Comixology. I do all my reading on android, and a vast majority of what I read has a drm free backup that I stick on a Google drive. I have rebought many of the issues I got in humble bundles because comixology is so drat convenient. The full pages are nice on tablet, and the guided view works great on my phone.

No complaints from me!

Don't get me wrong, I love Comixology as well. On my iPad and phone it's fantastic, i just wish they would support Windows the same way they do iOS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

beergod posted:

Agreed. If they just fixed the Windows bullshit I would spend a bunch of money there.

I've thought about getting a cheap Windows tablet to gently caress around with and the poo poo comiXology app is the #1 reason I haven't pulled the trigger. poo poo resolution on cheap tablets is #2.

Using comiXology for library management is nice, but I set up a home server and have my comics in a Bittorrent Sync folder, so even all the DRM free Humble Bundle, Kickstarter, and the early Image store books I have bought are accessible anywhere I have an Internet connection. It's pretty sweet.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I do that too. Do you use Ubooquity? It is really amazing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I hadn't heard of that. That's pretty neat! I should maybe mess around with that, though I'm not super knowledgeable with setting up servers (I just kind of fumbled my way through getting MySQL and Plex going for movies, then let Bittorrent Sync handle the rest).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Giant Astro City sale tempting me to buy it all up and freeze all my subscriptions until it's been read beginning to end.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Giant Astro City sale

Ooh.

e: Well, that was a lot of digital comics money. Hope I like it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 15, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I did the same thing. I heard it is good and it sounds like something up my alley.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Can someone who's read all of Astro City give some buying advice? Buy everything? Anything completely skippable? Any especially great runs?

edit: thank you for links/advice! I keep looking at 3-page excerpts and being like "eh," but I clearly need to read the full free issues and then make the call.

onefish fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 15, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

onefish posted:

Can someone who's read all of Astro City give some buying advice? Buy everything? Anything completely skippable? Any especially great runs?

Buisek put a guide on his blog.

But every comics blog/newssite I've seen today has been like "OH HELL YEAH ASTRO CITY OWNS FRONT TO BACK GET THE WHOLE THING YALL".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

onefish posted:

Buy and read the original 6 issue (1995-1996) series, see if you like that-or even just check out the first issue which is free.

Beyond that, each series is relatively self-contained; however the real payoff for Astro City is the incredible world building that Busiek has done with it, so each new story helps to increase your understanding and (assuming it turns out to be your kind of thing) appreciation of that world and the characters in it. While I'm sure different people will view certain series as stronger or weaker, each one adds to the mythos, so if you're going to get into it you may as well go whole hog. I guess some of the one-shots are less "important", but at that point I'm not sure the time or money savings is really significant. I guess note that "A Visitor's Guide" is more like a collection of "Extras" then anything else, so you could skip that one.