Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

hihifellow posted:

There's broadbandmap.gov but it tends to be a little inaccurate. It's a starting point for who to call about service at least.

I would use https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport to see what is available in the area and then you have to check with each company for specific prices and service area. You can at least see what the best providers are in each zip code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

you ate my cat posted:

Verizon at least checks the address against the same database that the sales reps do. Doesn't guarantee it'll be right, but at least it's closer than some.
Frontier's website, at least in my area, asks you to put your physical address and contact information into their form, and then says they'll contact you later. At no point does it every commit to a yes or no about whether they have service in my area.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

Aren't marketing emails without an unsubscribe link illegal?

I reply back with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' then the fucker calls

Why yes, they are, and if you were to convince the federal government to go after some random salesperson they might be in a heap of trouble!

This and many other reasons are why the CAN SPAM act was labeled the "Yes, you can Spam" act.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So there's no clause in there for civil suits? Weird.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning removing a VPN link between two of our offices that used defined routes, and recreating it with a better standard of encryption and with OSPF to handle route advertisement. Checked it all and as far as I could tell everything was working fine. Then I was informed that a particular device on the far side was unreachable from a lab subnet on the nearside. I spent twice as long as I had spent setting the tunnel up checking firewall entries, doing packet traces etc. until I could prove to the team that owned the device that packets were reaching it across the tunnel but never being returned. Exported the config from the device, searched for any mention of this subnet, nothing.

Turns out that when it was configured it was connected to this lab network and pulled down a DHCP address, and after being moved and having nothing connected to that interface it still tried to route everything to that subnet our of that interface as though it was connected on-net. Of course it's some piece of poo poo telephony appliance, it's either that or printers that have monumentally retarded networking issues.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So there's no clause in there for civil suits? Weird.

No, and that's one of the many problems. States started writing their own patchwork of laws around this since the FTC and the FCC weren't stepping up, which included letting people file civil suits for obscene sums of money. Then the CAN SPAM act passed and superseded these laws, making it so that private citizens can't get justice even if they know exactly who is doing this.

Then again, the law was written by the Direct Marketing Association, so huge surprise that it was awful.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Boss wants us to setup a plan to make a color code for patch cords at our branches so we can talk users through things easier. Now, at a basic level this seems alright, we used to use blue for data, yellow for voice where we could, but now that we use all voip phones, we've gone back to just blue.
So new plan is to use blue for data, white for internet/mpls connection, yellow for analog, purple for uplink ports, red for security devices, and so on. For some sites we would use 8 colors worth of cables. Which means we'd have to keep 8 different cable colors in stock at all times, all of varying lengths. Not to mention that on deployments that would require dragging even more equipment with us. All to make a technicolor network closet.
This would only matter for brand new locations, because its not like we are going to hit the road to redo patch panels at 110+ sites. At least I hope so.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Red patch cables for the mpls line. The red wuns goes fasta.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Its loving awesome when people schedule changes for 6am and then cant be arsed to turn up to do their part

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One of our locations is right next to basically the best doughnut place in Atlanta. We actually have an understood monthly budget on our cards for bribing people with those doughnuts, especially for non-working-hours appointments.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
From a few pages back, but...

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Oh, now you're taking me through the Wayback Machine, back to an era at a different company where we used some of the worst software in the world, BankerInsight and TellerInsight. BI/TI both ran on Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere and had no central management, so all 50+ Bank Branches had to have individual physical servers with their own unique BI/TI databases. The software was a huge chore and backups were incredibly painful because of the antiquated way it handled them; all backups were done flatfile locally, which then had to be robocopied from each branch server to a central CIFS share, which was then backed up using Commvault, which was later copied to tape. Keep in mind that these were at most paired ISDN lines at the time for each branch, so speed was abysmal.
I am helldesk at a company currently using a pretty similar setup with Sybase now for their primary legacy application, except with 100+ branches and slightly faster internet. Every day it finds new ways to gently caress up, and the lack of centralization/modern functionality is proving a massive pain in the arse when I'm trying to script things - the best I can do is script around it, there's no scripting the application itself. The business is currently hiring for junior helldesk, and while someone to take the easy tickets would be nice, I'm also kind of hoping that no one else falls into this trap until we can get the entire thing replaced with something that is at least semi-modern.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddammit, I blew at least two hours futzing around with a laptop upgrading with a SSD and I'm still not done.

Normally I'd just use Samsung Migration, slap it in and be done with in 15-20 minutes. But this particular laptop has changed hands quite a lot so I figured I'd blow away Windows to freshen it up; wrong move.

Installed Windows 7 on the new disk but activation won't accept the key, troubleshooting time passes, oh wait of course it's HP! it probably needs the drat OEM disc. So I dug out a fistful of discs and went through them until one of them would let me install again, and eventually landed with Windows 8 (I know basically everything we've bought is pretty much Win 8 but with downgrade rights to 7). I get that up and running and at least install MS Office before leaving time, and try to set up the user account with Outlook but for some reason it won't connect with exchange even though auto discover worked fine.

Of course I did consider saving myself the hassle before reinstalling and just cloning the original disc, but there was 200+Gb of stuff to put on a 120 disk which is another cleanup operation.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have a personality clash with my boss because I don't scream enough.

I usually just get on with my work and don't really complain if I'm busy. I call In support from other sites if I need it and whatever but I don't stress about pretty much anything

Then today my direct report hands her notice in for a better job and my boss decided in her infinite wisdom to take it personally

My direct report told me that my boss said I have no people skills or management skills amongst other things and I tend to believe that is the sort of thing my boss would do

Obviously it's hearsay and my boss would simply deny saying any of that

But true colours have been shown and I'll be looking for a new job once I've made a few house payments (I start a mortgage in under 2 weeks or I'd be straight out the door!)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Swapping out a failing firewall and putting a random configuration that you have sitting on your laptop from 8 months back instead of pulling the proper one out of the inventory system before declaring "welp, that's my part done" then leaving site before anyone has verified that the remote management is still accessible is really not cool, in case anyone was wondering.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Awesome. Just got in an argument because I don't want my small lovely office to become file storage central (physical files/cabinets). The owner of the company told the main accounting guy "we should have less file cabinets". So he wants to put his poo poo in here. I said loving no way. Scan that poo poo or put it somewhere else.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Swapping out a failing firewall and putting a random configuration that you have sitting on your laptop from 8 months back instead of pulling the proper one out of the inventory system before declaring "welp, that's my part done" then leaving site before anyone has verified that the remote management is still accessible is really not cool, in case anyone was wondering.

Are you me? My boss flubbed something like this on a friday, then took a weeks vacation and left the mess in my lap.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Things that make me distraught

Co-workers that dial into calls when they're already able join through computer audio or VoIP.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
My favorite thing (that no longer happens at newgig)

Every time you have a conference call, and the "new user" beep happens, the project manager goes, "OKAY WHO JOINED THE CALL?"

(NEver mind you can set it up to announce new users, but turning that poo poo on makes no sense)

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

nitrogen posted:

My favorite thing (that no longer happens at newgig)

Every time you have a conference call, and the "new user" beep happens, the project manager goes, "OKAY WHO JOINED THE CALL?"

(NEver mind you can set it up to announce new users, but turning that poo poo on makes no sense)

Automatically announcing new users, especially on large calls where people will bounce in and out, is ridiculously annoying. It always seems to interrupt the speaker at the worst moments, and if you're like most people and skip the 'state your name' portion it just ends up announcing no one over and over anyway.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

especially on large calls where people will bounce in and out,

Why can the people who host these calls never figure out auto-mute on call join? I, and the other 85 people on the bridge, don't want to listen to the background noise at Darryl the retarded sales guy's desk because no one knows how to mute anything ever.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NeuralSpark posted:

Why can the people who host these calls never figure out auto-mute on call join? I, and the other 85 people on the bridge, don't want to listen to the background noise at Darryl the retarded sales guy's desk because no one knows how to mute anything ever.

We used to have issues with people joining a call, muting themselves, getting a second call and picking that up. This starts their hold music.
We had a Very Important Call with Very Important People that chased themselves out of 2 rooms on our conference bridge. The same person did this both times and never admitted to it, even when the telephony group pulled stats.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm saddened that we can't take "trash" cat5 cable from work (normally just the clips on the ends are broken) because they "retain information".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm saddened that we can't take "trash" cat5 cable from work (normally just the clips on the ends are broken) because they "retain information".

:eng99:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gothmog1065 posted:

:catstare: I'm pretty sure I saw this in a dilbert comic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

President Ark posted:

:catstare: I'm pretty sure I saw this in a dilbert comic.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I'm pretty sure this was my first Dilbert comic. It set the tone for my love of Dilbert to this day.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

fluppet posted:

Its loving awesome when people schedule changes for 6am and then cant be arsed to turn up to do their part

Even better when someone on a higher tier team decides to roll out a patch for the remote tools the techs use, and it gets flagged as a false positive by antivirus. And said tech on the higher tier didn't test the patch internally, nor did they bother telling anyone about the patch. Because apparently testing things before rolling them out is for pussies.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
In my ongoing SBS 2003 server saga, I finally got around to taking apart and cleaning out the random one that wound up on my floor after an acquisition. Turns out the machine was built in 2010, which means some rear end in a top hat in their infinite wisdom willingly chose to install SBS 2003 instead of Server 2008.

Edit: just to be clear we're not even talking SBS 2003 R2, we're talking the standard release that was EOL'd in 2007.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 16, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Goddammit Dell.

I just want to download drives for a laptop. I don't feel like it is necessary that I have to download and install Dell System Detect 6.6.0.2 to be able to do this. Especially since I am downloading these driver files on a different computer. Especially since this computer isn't even a Dell.

edit: And fix your goddamn ISO making tool thingy. What a neat feature it is to be able to download all your drivers into a single ISO that I can burn/mount/etc. But if it produces a valid ISO with an invalid file structure, making each file unusable, what's the point?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 16, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Goddammit Dell.

I just want to download drives for a laptop. I don't feel like it is necessary that I have to download and install Dell System Detect 6.6.0.2 to be able to do this. Especially since I am downloading these driver files on a different computer. Especially since this computer isn't even a Dell.

Dealt with that bullshit this afternoon just trying to figure out what FirePro cards were in a set of Precision T1650s. I had the service tags and everything, but no, I had to download the autodetect tool that took about five minutes to actually work.

Turns out they were just V4900s.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Dealt with that bullshit this afternoon just trying to figure out what FirePro cards were in a set of Precision T1650s.

No. It's really quite simple. You just go to support.dell.com and click on System Configuration:

quote:

LABEL, SVC TAG/EXPRESS CODE, LATC
LABEL, DEO, ENERGY STAR
LABEL, INTEL, CI5, SMALL, GREY
LABEL, REGULATORY, WIRELESS, 3160AC, M.2, CSMB
LABEL, REGULATORY, INS, 7548
SHIPPING MATERIAL, BOX, ACCESSORY, PULP, NOTEBOOK, 15
SHIPPING MATERIAL, BAG, NOTEBOOK, 12.5X18, POLY FOAM
SHIPPING MATERIAL, CUSHION, NOTEBOOK, 15, BOTTOM
SHIPPING MATERIAL, CUSHION, NOTEBOOK, 15, TOP
SHIPPING MATERIAL, BOX, SYSTEM, PULP, NOTEBOOK, 15
LABEL, STICKER, WIN10, PREINSTALLED
LABEL, PRINT ON DEMAND, CFIG, 3X11, INS, VOS, Storage Processor
LABEL, PALMREST, 7548, TOUCH, W, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
LABEL, RTL RTN, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, UNITED STATES

Oh.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

Goddammit Dell.

edit: And fix your goddamn ISO making tool thingy. What a neat feature it is to be able to download all your drivers into a single ISO that I can burn/mount/etc. But if it produces a valid ISO with an invalid file structure, making each file unusable, what's the point?

http://ftp.dell.com

Or use this tool: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7534.dell-command-update

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

Dealt with that bullshit this afternoon just trying to figure out what FirePro cards were in a set of Precision T1650s. I had the service tags and everything, but no, I had to download the autodetect tool that took about five minutes to actually work.

Turns out they were just V4900s.
Go into Device Manager, right-click on the Unknown Device, go to Properties, then go to the Details tab and select Hardware Ids. Copy and paste the "VEN_XXXX&DEV_YYYY" part of one of those lines into Google, or into this, and it should tell you what the thing is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

:negative:

Catx cables where the clips are broken are unusable, but I guess you could salvage the cable and crimp new connectors for home use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Agrikk posted:

Goddammit Dell.

Anyone else remember this poo poo?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

Tell them that when you cut the ends off, all the bits fall out, effectively wiping the cable of all old info, and that you can guarantee there's no retained data after the operation.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Take an air compressor and blow out the bits

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

:negative:

Catx cables where the clips are broken are unusable, but I guess you could salvage the cable and crimp new connectors for home use.

That's what I would end up doing. Replacing the end and having a bunch of 30+ft cat5e cables.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gothmog1065 posted:

Two questions:

1) What moron said this retarded poo poo?
2) Do you own a baseball bat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone else remember this poo poo?

Oh god, no. Please no.

I remember the endorphin rush of a completed update. If only because the wait was a tightrope walk over a pit of bricked machines from failed checksums.