Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Geolicious posted:

Blargh. That's right.

Stupid uteruses. loving up poo poo all over.

Ain't that the truth. I'm very newly diagnosed tho, so we're still going to be working through all sorts of options until I hopefully find something that works well for me. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I think about how we women in the developed world still struggle to find reproductive comfort in the age of modern medicine and it makes me ache for women who do not have such access and for women in the past who dealt with this poo poo without medical advances/doctors who cared.

Like, men don't even know. They don't even know.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:v: I got my IUD! Apparently, I have zero pain tolerance. The doctor suggested, perhaps in earnest, that I should consider putting vodka into my coffee for the ride home. Anyway, all done!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cash crab posted:

:v: I got my IUD! Apparently, I have zero pain tolerance. The doctor suggested, perhaps in earnest, that I should consider putting vodka into my coffee for the ride home. Anyway, all done!

I think it's just one of those things that's different for everyone. To me it felt like two bad cramps (once for the sounding, once for the IUD going in), other people say it was the worst pain of their life so far. :shrug: It may have also helped that I've dealt with all kinds of painful stomach issues over the years to the point that I'm used to it to a degree.

Stock up on ibuprofen and heat pads (I loved the stick-on kind from Thermacare when I had to work/be mobile) because the next few periods will be rough. It's not forever though, which is always good to keep in mind. Black or dark period underwear was also something I liked having because there will be accidents unless you're used to heavy periods already. Sorry if I've made it sound awful, it's really awesome birth control I swear. :v: Congrats!

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I was on nuva ring and I quit it about 3 weeks ago. I should be getting my first non-bc period in 10 years soon. I have no idea what to expect.

I think hormonal bc was making my chronic pain worse. I had an iud at one time, and my husband could feel the strings. I had it switched and he could still feel the strings. I think I'm stuck with condoms.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Tubal adventure update: just got told that recovery time would be 2-4 weeks?!

What?!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

What?!

Well there's a difference between initial recovery and "feeling 100%." So you'll be up and about in probably a day or two but from what I've heard, that would about right for the time it takes to get back to feeling completely normal. That doesn't mean you're going be bedridden for a month or anything.

But that's just going off what other people have told me, I'm still waiting on mine.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kimmalah posted:

I think it's just one of those things that's different for everyone. To me it felt like two bad cramps (once for the sounding, once for the IUD going in), other people say it was the worst pain of their life so far. :shrug: It may have also helped that I've dealt with all kinds of painful stomach issues over the years to the point that I'm used to it to a degree.

Stock up on ibuprofen and heat pads (I loved the stick-on kind from Thermacare when I had to work/be mobile) because the next few periods will be rough. It's not forever though, which is always good to keep in mind. Black or dark period underwear was also something I liked having because there will be accidents unless you're used to heavy periods already. Sorry if I've made it sound awful, it's really awesome birth control I swear. :v: Congrats!

Thank you! I am super anxious because I can't feel the strings (I think they're very short, and very soft, plus my cervix seems to be tilted in a weird way) but even in my infinite paranoia I feel like there's no way it could have expelled after 30 hours. I need to keep reassuring myself that expulsion rates aren't super super high and that even if mine decides to leave, it won't kill me. Also, my period isn't due until the end of September, so wheeee! :v: (Although I am spotting a bit; this is normal, yes?)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

Thank you! I am super anxious because I can't feel the strings (I think they're very short, and very soft, plus my cervix seems to be tilted in a weird way) but even in my infinite paranoia I feel like there's no way it could have expelled after 30 hours. I need to keep reassuring myself that expulsion rates aren't super super high and that even if mine decides to leave, it won't kill me. Also, my period isn't due until the end of September, so wheeee! :v: (Although I am spotting a bit; this is normal, yes?)

Honestly, being able to feel my strings wasn't a huge help anyway because I was constantly thinking "Are they different lengths now? I can't tell!" It really just made me even more anxious.

Having some bleeding afterward is normal. I bled for about a week or so but I've heard some people have more or less, just depends. It probably helped that I was technically in my last placebo week at the time too.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

The string system seems to be more trouble than it's worth, it seems. I guess I'm going to just try and not panic unless something seems really, truly off before my checkup. Thanks, IUD wizard Kimmalah!

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

the string is really there to make it easier to take out when you're done with it, so don't sweat it too much :)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Explosions! posted:

What?!

Yeah not really. 2+ weeks until you can go to the gym and be fully active and such. Your abdomen feels hosed for at least a week, week and a half but you'll still be out of bed and normal. Just a bit weak and ouchy.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I've never been able to feel my strings. And dammit I have tried. But I have short fingers, a high cervix, and chubby tum.

I've just started to assume as long as my period is still missing it's still up there doing it's thing.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
I can feel my strings depending on where I am in my cycle but it took a few months of trying that first time. Though I was basically thinking "whelp, hope it works!" from the start so I wasn't all that bothered.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Scudworth posted:

Yeah not really. 2+ weeks until you can go to the gym and be fully active and such. Your abdomen feels hosed for at least a week, week and a half but you'll still be out of bed and normal. Just a bit weak and ouchy.

Ah ok, that sounds more reasonable. Either way I moved mine back to December when our plant is on Christmas shutdown for 3 weeks. I just started this job (since they don't count 2 1/2 freaking years as a temp) so I don't have a lot of pto days. It was going to be pushing it to do it in September, but I was so stunned they would get me in that quick that I wasn't going to turn them down. Now I won't have to stress the whole time about whether I'm going to feel like poo poo when I go back. Still going in for my consult on the 11th though, so yay!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Little update: I started getting stabbing pains in my abdomen today, localized in one area on the left side. So, naturally, I panicked. Coupled with the fact that I've been getting this weird "sucking" sensation in my pelvis and the continuing bleeding, I was convinced my IUD was going rogue.

An ultrasound confirmed that it was nesting exactly where it should be, so the rest of my body is garbage but my uterus is golden. I was just sort of struck by the fact that my doctor, older and male, enthusiastically said, "IUDs are amazing. Lots of people love them, they are a great idea," because I always hear of people getting sort of the opposite feedback. :allears: Also, he was so, so hairy and it made me laugh.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

Little update: I started getting stabbing pains in my abdomen today, localized in one area on the left side. So, naturally, I panicked. Coupled with the fact that I've been getting this weird "sucking" sensation in my pelvis and the continuing bleeding, I was convinced my IUD was going rogue.

An ultrasound confirmed that it was nesting exactly where it should be, so the rest of my body is garbage but my uterus is golden. I was just sort of struck by the fact that my doctor, older and male, enthusiastically said, "IUDs are amazing. Lots of people love them, they are a great idea," because I always hear of people getting sort of the opposite feedback. :allears: Also, he was so, so hairy and it made me laugh.

You'll get a lot of little twinges and pains in your pelvis for a while until your body adjusts. Your pelvis will just feel kind of weird in general for a bit and bleeding right now is perfectly normal/to be expected (like I said before I bled for about a week after insertion and I've heard other people who did it for a lot longer than that).

I totally get it because I was the same way, but a lot of this is anxiety and just your mind hyperfocusing on every little thing going on in that area of your body.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The gyno who put mine in said 6-8 weeks of post insertion bleeding/spotting and not to worry unless it was super heavy and super painful.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I get a twing on my right side when I do heavy work outs and lifting still, 5 years later. It's no big deal. I kind of think of it like how my husband has a metal plate in his arm and it makes his bone ache a bit sometimes when the weather changes. Nothing wrong, just your body dealing with a foreign object.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I dropped 20 pounds in the month and a half following the removal of the Nexplanon and I didn't change my eating or exercise habits, so now I'm below what I was before I had it put in. Weight-neutral my rear end. So yep, just putting that out there in case anyone was considering Nexplanon. I know that it doesn't make everyone gain weight, but just FYI.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Whew it's been a while since I posted. I got the Mirena in fall of 2012 and had a great insertion experience (way less pain than I expected). My period quickly tapered off and I ended up with no period (win!) I was super enthusiastic about it and was recommending it to all my friends. Even though the device was covered by my insurance, I did end up having to pay $180 in copays for the related office visits (consultation, insertion, follow-up). I did have more acne, but my skin was never clear on the pill either so it didn't bother me too much.

A year and a half later, I started suffering from a bad case of depression. I asked my doctor if the Mirena could be partly to blame and she blew off my concerns. However, she did notice that my uterine fibroid had grown more, and that I appeared to have ovarian cysts. She recommended that I go on a BC pill in addition to the Mirena in order to control the cysts and tackle the acne. I was already paranoid that the Mirena was causing or worsening my depression and figured if I needed to take a pill anyway, there was no reason to double up on birth control, so I had the Mirena removed. Removal was quick and painless, and I started Lo Loestrin Fe right away.

In about a month my depression cleared up and in about 3 months the acne situation improved too (and a follow-up visit indicated that the ovarian cysts were tamed as well). I would hesitate to attribute the depression solely to Mirena, since there were other life factors at play (being out of a job will do a number on you), but I do think it could have been a factor. There are many similar complaints online, but all the doctors will deny it and say it's not an official side effect. And for what it's worth, the main benefit of Mirena for me was not getting periods, and I enjoyed the same benefit from Lo Loestrin, even without skipping placebo pills.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I just got the copper IUD inserted today, after quitting the Evra patch.

If it was possible to have a negative libido, that is what I had on the patch. Terrible depression and I didn't want anybody to touch me. Hopefully that changes. Hell, I already feel better after being off of it for 2 weeks but that could just be me.

I felt nothing for the insertion. I literally didn't even know my doctor had done anything. So that was pretty cool. No cramps or anything yet and I've been on my feet all day afterwards for work.

I'm in Canadaland so the cost was $100 as I don't have coverage from benefits. That's okay, the patch was $30 a month.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Alright, I have a question about birth control refills that hopefully someone can help me with. I refilled my prescription today, and on the package, it says that I have 5 refills left before 9/15 (which is two days from now). Is there any chance that they would like... give me those? Probably not, right? My regular ob/gyn doesn't take my insurance anymore, but in the past, they've given me a really really hard time in the past when I've tried to get them to refill it without me having to come in for my annual exam. Normally, I would just find a new doctor who does take my insurance and make an appointment, BUT I'm moving out of state in three weeks anyway, so there's literally no point. My other two options are to go to my GP and see if she'll get me a prescription, or wait until I'm in Seattle, go to Planned Parenthood, and see if they can help me out until I'm settled in with insurance there (which I don't want to do because there's only a week between when I'm getting there and when I would need a refill, and I'm already going to be crazy busy). Is it even worth going to my pharmacy and asking?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Alright, I have a question about birth control refills that hopefully someone can help me with. I refilled my prescription today, and on the package, it says that I have 5 refills left before 9/15 (which is two days from now). Is there any chance that they would like... give me those? Probably not, right? My regular ob/gyn doesn't take my insurance anymore, but in the past, they've given me a really really hard time in the past when I've tried to get them to refill it without me having to come in for my annual exam. Normally, I would just find a new doctor who does take my insurance and make an appointment, BUT I'm moving out of state in three weeks anyway, so there's literally no point. My other two options are to go to my GP and see if she'll get me a prescription, or wait until I'm in Seattle, go to Planned Parenthood, and see if they can help me out until I'm settled in with insurance there (which I don't want to do because there's only a week between when I'm getting there and when I would need a refill, and I'm already going to be crazy busy). Is it even worth going to my pharmacy and asking?

They'll probably let you buy them, but your insurance most likely covers one refill a month, so it would be out of pocket. You can also probably just call the pharmacy and ask, it should be easy to answer without requiring you to go in.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Some insurances cover 3 months at a time. You're probably best off calling your insurance company and seeing what their deal is before going to the pharmacy.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

GoodBee posted:

Some insurances cover 3 months at a time. You're probably best off calling your insurance company and seeing what their deal is before going to the pharmacy.

I tried calling my insurance just now (because it says on the website next to the number "we're here for you 24/7"), but apparently that was a lie and they're actually only here for me eight hours a day. I'm probably just going to go by the pharmacy tomorrow since I work literally right next door, and it's easier than spending my entire lunch break on the phone. Fingers crossed!

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

The pharmacy should be able to tell you when you go to fill it. Generally insurance will only cover the cost of one pill pack every 3wk (i was always told i had to wait until i had 7 days left to refill under insurance) if it's your avg monthly style pill pack. And in the past i was told if i wanted to refill more than just 1 at a time (for whatever reason), i would just have to pay out of pocket for the extras. For all i know that could be some variable policy that has changed over the years and/or is just local to me.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

It's taken a lot of persistence, but I've finally found a unicorn: a gyno willing to tie my 29 year old, childless tubes. He only asked a few questions, most of them medical, before agreeing to do the surgery. When I told him how shocking that was he looked at me like I was the idiot and said "it's your body, it's your decision." :eyepop:

Now I'm scheduled for a "laparoscopic bilateral tubal ligation with fulguration of oviducts," whatever that means. Until then I'm spending all of my free time gloating to my friends and googling "risk of ectopic pregnancy after tubal ligation" in a panic at 2:00am. If anyone has any general advice or encouraging stories to share my nerves would appreciate it, though I imagine the ladies who have had successful tubals are probably too busy feeling free and getting laid to post in this thread.

Finally had the pre-op appointment for my tubal, which is going down on Thursday. The gyno said, pending my approval, that he'd go ahead and do a partial salpingectomy if everything looks good, removing about half of the tube. I encouraged him to yank that sucker out. The Internet is the only series of tubes I need.

Not much to report otherwise, just lots and lots of paperwork, blood test, and a urine test. One nurse was incredibly judgey once she found out I don't already have children, but I forgive her because I was buzzing so hard on glee and good vibes that it was probably irritating. I'm bringing a party atmosphere to the outpatient wing. Just three days to go; I'll post a trip report once I'm on the other side.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

IdeoPhanthus posted:

The pharmacy should be able to tell you when you go to fill it. Generally insurance will only cover the cost of one pill pack every 3wk (i was always told i had to wait until i had 7 days left to refill under insurance) if it's your avg monthly style pill pack. And in the past i was told if i wanted to refill more than just 1 at a time (for whatever reason), i would just have to pay out of pocket for the extras. For all i know that could be some variable policy that has changed over the years and/or is just local to me.

I know I've had insurance that allowed you to get a 90 day/3 month supply with a prescription like this, but you had to use some special mail-order service of theirs to get it.

When I got my birth control from a health department free clinic, they used to just give me a big huge box with 6 packs and basically say "See you in six months!" :v:

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Finally had the pre-op appointment for my tubal, which is going down on Thursday. The gyno said, pending my approval, that he'd go ahead and do a partial salpingectomy if everything looks good, removing about half of the tube. I encouraged him to yank that sucker out. The Internet is the only series of tubes I need.

Not much to report otherwise, just lots and lots of paperwork, blood test, and a urine test. One nurse was incredibly judgey once she found out I don't already have children, but I forgive her because I was buzzing so hard on glee and good vibes that it was probably irritating. I'm bringing a party atmosphere to the outpatient wing. Just three days to go; I'll post a trip report once I'm on the other side.

I have my pre-op on Thursday! I'm hoping I'll finally get to sit down with the actual surgeon and discuss details, since I still can't find anything about "no kids = clips only." This 30 day waiting business has also been ridiculous, since I've basically had to put stuff like job hunting on hold until further notice because the state thinks I'll suddenly go baby crazy (after spending years dreaming about being sterile). I feel like something in the cosmos must be with me, because the last few months I've been surrounded by crazy hyperactive toddlers and my cousin just had a super-colicky baby that cries non-stop.

It may have been covered earlier, but for those who have already done the surgery, are there any "must haves" I should get? I'm kind of trying to gather stuff together now for recovery. I have plenty of pads, OTC pain relievers and stuff to settle my stomach. I live with family right now so having groceries and meals on hand shouldn't be an issue. I've also got a nice backlog of TV to get through and will be looking for some baggy shorts sometime this week.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I know I've had insurance that allowed you to get a 90 day/3 month supply with a prescription like this, but you had to use some special mail-order service of theirs to get it.

When I was on my mom's health insurance, I got 90 day prescriptions by default by their mail order pharmacy. It was wonderful.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Went to the gyno today to discuss birth control and how mirena made me crazy. She offered to remove it right then and give me a paragard. I went for it, knowing full well that it would suck because I hadn't taken any painkillers at all. Good lord, that poo poo hurt. It was the first time I'd ever involuntarily yelled "gently caress!" from pain. I got home and took 4 ibuprofens and am now a vegetable on the couch with my cat. Here's hoping it won't make my periods that much worse and that this will finally work for me. Someone remove my uterus, pleeease.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

akulol posted:

Went to the gyno today to discuss birth control and how mirena made me crazy. She offered to remove it right then and give me a paragard. I went for it, knowing full well that it would suck because I hadn't taken any painkillers at all. Good lord, that poo poo hurt. It was the first time I'd ever involuntarily yelled "gently caress!" from pain. I got home and took 4 ibuprofens and am now a vegetable on the couch with my cat. Here's hoping it won't make my periods that much worse and that this will finally work for me. Someone remove my uterus, pleeease.

It may be rough going for the first few periods (especially coming straight off Mirena periods), but if you can hang on they usually get better.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

It may be rough going for the first few periods (especially coming straight off Mirena periods), but if you can hang on they usually get better.

Obviously anecdotal, but this is how it was/is for me. The first few periods were like the elevator scene from the Shining, it evened out a bit and while they're still heavier than when I was on hormonal birth control, they're definitely lighter than they were at first. I still stock up on ultra tampons, though.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Kimmalah posted:

I have my pre-op on Thursday! I'm hoping I'll finally get to sit down with the actual surgeon and discuss details, since I still can't find anything about "no kids = clips only." This 30 day waiting business has also been ridiculous, since I've basically had to put stuff like job hunting on hold until further notice because the state thinks I'll suddenly go baby crazy (after spending years dreaming about being sterile). I feel like something in the cosmos must be with me, because the last few months I've been surrounded by crazy hyperactive toddlers and my cousin just had a super-colicky baby that cries non-stop.

It may have been covered earlier, but for those who have already done the surgery, are there any "must haves" I should get? I'm kind of trying to gather stuff together now for recovery. I have plenty of pads, OTC pain relievers and stuff to settle my stomach. I live with family right now so having groceries and meals on hand shouldn't be an issue. I've also got a nice backlog of TV to get through and will be looking for some baggy shorts sometime this week.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no kids = clips only'. My surgeon gave me all of the tubal options (essure, clips, salpingectomy) and I chose what I wanted (salpingectomy). Guess it can vary wildly with sterilization poo poo though. The 30 day wait I had to go through too but I honestly just thought it was because of scheduling issues and not a mandate. I felt like a dork not knowing because it was on the consent form I signed at my consult. :P

To address the post surgery stuff you need - The best advice I got was to wear big granny panties on surgery day. It makes it worlds easier to get dressed afterwards and you don't want anything tight around that area. Even with the full removal, I had very, very little bleeding afterwards but I think that varies from person to person. I would recommend picking up a stool softener just in case you have to take the pain pills they will give you. I took mine for almost a week (even after stopping the useless vicodin - 800 mg ibuprofen worked WAY better) because straining isn't fun afterwards.

I assume whatever you're having will be done laproscopically. They didn't tell me this on my post-op paperwork but clean your belly button 2x a day with warm water and soap (or alcohol on a q tip). I ended up with an infection and it wasn't fun. Baggy shorts are a must too.

You're very lucky to have family to cook for you and stuff. The first 2 days after my surgery, I was pretty loving bonkers (I think from the anesthesia, again you could be fine) and could barely be trusted to make coffee. :)

Overall, including the infection, it took me a good 6-7 weeks to get back to 100%, including exercising normally without pain. Now I feel like a new person and me and the boyfriend's sex life has gotten SO much better not having to worry about getting knocked up. Good luck and godspeed!

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Hey BC megathread. I come to you with another one of my ridiculous issues.

So I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting the Mirena. I met my NP yesterday and she was super gung-ho for it, and now I have a consult appointment with the NP who does the insertions next week. I've been pretty excited about it!

Then last night I ran across an article on how hormonal birth control can affect who you're attracted to. Basically, when not pregnant, women are attracted to men with different immune system-regulating genes (to produce more robust offspring), which is reflected in whether or not a guy smells good to you; this reverses during pregnancy. Oral contraceptives mimic pregnancy, so going on or off the pill can change whether or not you find someone attractive (and whether or not you like how they smell). I'd heard about this before but I never really gave it much thought since I figured I'd be on the pill forever.

But now I'm considering switching methods from one that has estrogen (mimics pregnancy) to one that doesn't (doesn't mimic pregnancy), and it would suck pretty badly if suddenly I wasn't into my boyfriend any more. I talked about this with him last night and he suspects this phenomenon contributed to the breakup of his first relationship (girlfriend went off the pill, relationship went downhill shortly thereafter). So we're both a little concerned here and I'm trying to convince myself it's not going to be a real issue.

Tell me your stories of how you switched from the pill to the hormonal IUD and you think your partner is hotter than ever and smells totally awesome!

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Robo Kitty posted:

Tell me your stories of how you switched from the pill to the hormonal IUD and you think your partner is hotter than ever and smells totally awesome!

I've been on the full spectrum of BC with my now husband. From no BC at all to pill to IUD back to pill to now pregnant. I've never found my love and affection for him to change, but I definitely found that my libido varied. For what it's worth, since both the pill and the Mirena dampened my libido, I didn't notice a difference between the two, whereas when I'm not on BC I want to jump him all the time. So I think hormonal BC can definitely affect your relationship in terms of how often you have sex, but I doubt it's going to be THE determining factor for whether your relationship succeeds.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Did you know that Tylenol can kill you? Just straight up kill you.

You already know this is a ridiculous issue.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Took pill for the first 8 years of me relationship with Mr. Geo then switched to Mirena. It's been 11 years now. He's still mega cute and smells great. Like the ocean. Verdict: There was literally no change.

Tylenol can kill you. That TAL episode was insane.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pig Head posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'no kids = clips only'. My surgeon gave me all of the tubal options (essure, clips, salpingectomy) and I chose what I wanted (salpingectomy). Guess it can vary wildly with sterilization poo poo though. The 30 day wait I had to go through too but I honestly just thought it was because of scheduling issues and not a mandate. I felt like a dork not knowing because it was on the consent form I signed at my consult. :P

I mean I wasn't really given any option other than using clips because according to them they could only do the other methods if my uterus/tubes were enlarged due to a recent pregnancy. Which apparently the Filshie clips are among some of the most effective methods so I'll probably go ahead with it, it just sounds suspicious to me because I've never found anything anywhere else that corroborates it.

But I had my pre-op appointment yesterday. For anyone who's curious about it, I just went in to pre-register at the hospital (so I can just waltz straight into same day surgery next week). Then they took a long medical history, took some blood, did an EKG and made me pee in a cup for a pregnancy test.

Robo Kitty posted:

I switched from the pill to a non-hormonal IUD (so nothing at all to influence me anymore) and the only change really was that my sex drive in general skyrocketed. There wasn't really any change to how attractive I felt my partner was (on or off the pill), I just wanted to have sex with him a lot more often at sort of random moments sometimes.

Even off hormones completely, they say your preference for attractive features will vary according to where you are in your menstrual cycle. So basically there's nothing you can really do about it and it's probably a minimal effect compared to things like personality and having a history with someone (remember most of these studies involve picking out random strangers or photos).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Kimmalah posted:

according to them they could only do the other methods if my uterus/tubes were enlarged due to a recent pregnancy.

Heyyyy that's complete bullshit. Complete and total garbage. You are being lied to and that's creepy.

You are being lied to by a doctor or an entire system who does not want to permanently sterilize a childless person.
I am furious on your behalf.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread