Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

MrSquarepants posted:

I recently bought the 2 player starter set, and I was wondering whats the best way for expanding on those two forces(UCM & Scourge) to build up to a ~1000 pt game? Are the starter army packs a good purchase?

I think so, as you get more medium dropships and your basic tanks cheaply that way and they are all solid units. The stuff you got in the 2 player box was literally two of the plastic army starter sets (one per faction) and are about 500pts worth each.

What you don't get but will need once you hit 1000 points and graduate to clash sized battles is dedicated commander units. For Scourge the recommended first commander is the Desolator as the Oppressor is considered more difficult to use well (it has to get into very close range then tear poo poo up, but is more fragile than it may appear) . The Desolator floats around then unleashes an area of effect that damages everything around it. Both need to get close but the Desolator is an aircraft and can off as it pleases.

For UCM the same could probably be said for the Phoenix which is sexier but more money/points. The Kodiak is a simpler unit that you park at the back and rain down orbital fire with. The kodiak should be supported by scouts, the Phoenix needs to be kept away from AA fire. Arguably the Phoenix is more of an advanced tactics thing but less so than the Oppressor I guess.

After commanders exotic infantry are usually a solid choice as not having any when your opponent does usually means your infantry is going to get carved up in an objective fight.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'd actually skip the starter packs for now - everything in there is useful, but you have a few holes to fill.

First, as Ugleb said, you need a commander for both sides - that's the Kodiak and the Desolator (Plus the command cards.). You'll also want some Ravens/Intruders to replace the slow rear end Bear/Condor or Invader/Marauder combos. Running your troops to the objectives quickly is key, so these are pretty much must buys.
Exotic troops like Praetorians and Destroyers are also very useful - most Scourge lists run two Destroyer units in Intruders to get some fast, hard to kill killing power - although now you have the option of Eviscerators for some more close combat fire power. To use these, you'll also want some scouts - Wolverines for the UCM, Minders or Prowlers for the Scourge.

That should boot the killing power of your forces, give you some more toys to play with.
Here's what those lists would look like.

pre:
Standard Army
Clash: 986/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [986/1500 pts]
		Field Command [168 pts]
			Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
		Armored Formation [308 pts]
			Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
			Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
		Legionnaire Corps [160 pts]
			Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
		Expeditionary Group [350 pts]
			Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]
			Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
pre:
Standard Army
Clash: 1032/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1032/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [140 pts]
			Desolator: Desolator [140 pts]
		Vanguard [304 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Warriors [188 pts]
			Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [400 pts]
			Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
			Prowlers: 8x Prowler, 2x Intruder Beta [120 pts]

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I'd actually skip the starter packs for now - everything in there is useful, but you have a few holes to fill.

First, as Ugleb said, you need a commander for both sides - that's the Kodiak and the Desolator (Plus the command cards.). You'll also want some Ravens/Intruders to replace the slow rear end Bear/Condor or Invader/Marauder combos. Running your troops to the objectives quickly is key, so these are pretty much must buys.
Exotic troops like Praetorians and Destroyers are also very useful - most Scourge lists run two Destroyer units in Intruders to get some fast, hard to kill killing power - although now you have the option of Eviscerators for some more close combat fire power. To use these, you'll also want some scouts - Wolverines for the UCM, Minders or Prowlers for the Scourge.

That should boot the killing power of your forces, give you some more toys to play with.
Here's what those lists would look like.

pre:
Standard Army
Clash: 986/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [986/1500 pts]
		Field Command [168 pts]
			Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
		Armored Formation [308 pts]
			Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor [142 pts]
			Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
		Legionnaire Corps [160 pts]
		Expeditionary Group [350 pts]
			Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]
pre:
Standard Army
Clash: 1032/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1032/1500 pts]
		Oppressors [140 pts]
			Desolator: Desolator [140 pts]
		Vanguard [304 pts]
			Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
			Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
		Warriors [188 pts]
		Occupation Patrol [400 pts]
			Prowlers: 8x Prowler, 2x Intruder Beta [120 pts]

Thanks a lot ! Appreciate all the suggestions! My buddy and I are going to follow these lists as our purchasing guides.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
One of the orbital bombardment guys did an video interview with Dave from Hawk (in a basement with his mic turned off)
There's some stuff about the dropfleet kickstarter, the phase two book and the app in there.

here's the link to their page http://dzcblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/video-interview-with-dave-lewis.html

and here's the youtube video if you can't stand an extra click
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCh4XMykhUU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
All gone :)

muggins fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 1, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That looks like a nice lot. I'll send you a pm momentarily with what I'm looking for. (Unfortunately I already have two UCM starters) I have a friend who I think also PM'd you, so hopefully we can coordinate shipping so you only have to ship one package to both of us.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

One of the orbital bombardment guys did an video interview with Dave from Hawk (in a basement with his mic turned off)
There's some stuff about the dropfleet kickstarter, the phase two book and the app in there.

here's the link to their page http://dzcblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/video-interview-with-dave-lewis.html

and here's the youtube video if you can't stand an extra click
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCh4XMykhUU

Hmm so the Kickstarter will include some sort of exclusives and space terrain pieces. Interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to pledge for something useful to me while awaiting the PHR fleet stretch goal! ;)

I also really want that app.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

When is the kickstarter going up? I'm at work so phone posting doesn't permit video watching.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Arcturas posted:

When is the kickstarter going up? I'm at work so phone posting doesn't permit video watching.

October/November with delivery in May.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
These just popped up on the internet:

Sounds like the next batch of special characters is going to be released soon. I'm a fan of that PHR robot, have some serious questions about the feasibility of that tank even if I kind of like how ridiculous it is, and have no idea what's special about the drill.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Oh wow, the Hera is going to be gorgeous.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That tank reminds me of a Lego tank I built when I was 12.

Needless to say, I like it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
it's the cousin of this guy

Edit: The drill is Bertha, Jessie Adams' special drill. It's big enough to spew out wagons and jacksons.

Eh, can't resist posting wips, my kodiak is nearing completion:

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 14, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

But can it grab units and pull them below to their subterrerean doom?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bistromatic posted:

Edit: The drill is Bertha, Jessie Adams' special drill. It's big enough to spew out wagons and jacksons.
Ok, so it really is just special because it is bigger. What I figured.

As for that UDES XX20: http://warfaretech.blogspot.com/2014/07/udes-xx20-tank-destroyer.html

quote:

The mobility trials showed that 20 tons combat weight is not good for mobility in soft terrain conditions for an articulated vehicle.
That's pretty much what I expected and that's my issue with the broadsword. Seems like it'd be extremely back-heavy and that weight distribution would probably limit its mobility outside of paved roads, but you can probably handwave that away with "magical space materials" so whatever. :v:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

99.99% of all battles in the Dropzone universe take place in heavily urbanised areas, so it's cool. ;)

The Big Bertha commander gets a couple of rules like not being 'killed' unless every drill unit on the board is destroyed, which makes her harder to nullify. But yeah, the big drill is exactly what it looks like. Nice model though, there was a prototype of it at the last invasion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bistromatic posted:

Eh, can't resist posting wips, my kodiak is nearing completion:

You put a lot of work into that Kodiak and it shows! What bits did you use for the command section?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

BULBASAUR posted:

You put a lot of work into that Kodiak and it shows! What bits did you use for the command section?

Thanks! All those greebly bits in the rear are from a Zvezda Hind kit and an Academy 1:35 US machine gun set, the latter being a great source for bits in general.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Safety Factor posted:

Sounds like the next batch of special characters is going to be released soon. I'm a fan of that PHR robot, have some serious questions about the feasibility of that tank even if I kind of like how ridiculous it is, and have no idea what's special about the drill.

The Drill is Big Bertha or something, basically it allows buses, Wagons, and Jacksons (????) to arrive from a tunnel.

It's a really neat character thing I think, idk my Resistance doesn't really use the Drill gimmick thing so I think it's neat but I wouldn't use it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I saw in a Beasts of War picture from Invasion (I think that is what it was called), there was a team called 'Goon Swarm.' Which of you guys went to that, and how was it?

My friends and I are just wrapping up a 6 week Malifaux league, and the next system on the docket is Dropzone! I spent some time today assembling Odins 3-6 for my gimmick Poseidon with 6 Odins tactic. It really isn't a tactic, but I want to give it a try.

Does anyone have experience with the new PHR releases, Long Reach, Valkyries and Medusas? I have them on order, but I have only played 5 games of Dropzone. They look cool, and that is enough for me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I saw in a Beasts of War picture from Invasion (I think that is what it was called), there was a team called 'Goon Swarm.' Which of you guys went to that, and how was it?

That was Ugleb and I. I'll do a full write-up later, but Ugleb did well, 24th or something, while I was 41st (I ran an air heavy list, and came up against two separate PHR with 4 helios and 2 phobos. Those games did not end well.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally played my first game of DZC last week, almost a year after getting the starter set. We only did the starter scenario but it's easy to see how things will speed up in future games, enough to get 2 or 3 games on a weekday night. I have the ruined cityscape set of buildings, with the table even half-full of buildings it's so easy to get great views and pictures of the game in progress! Now I have to dig out the small trees I've got for some extra detail, and cast up a bunch of ruined N-scale cars...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It is time for... :rock: INVASION MEGA POST! :rock:

As everyone wants to know, Dropfleet first. I took a couple of pics with painted Scourge and UCM ships:

There was a few concept images that went up on the wall but apparently I forgot to take shots of those or the larger display model that was shown off at GenCon (not the really big Dropzone-scale Avenger). Apparently this display model might be released for sale at some point to adorn your nerd cave, it is pretty so that is cool. The ships are looking very nice indeed all painted up.

What there wasn't was any images of the PHR or Shaltari as Hawk have decided to hold those back for the KIckstarter launch. Dave wasn't there for the first day as he had to be at a wedding but we did see him on day 2 and get a little chat as he was going around to judge the painting competition. He seems pleased with how Dropfleet is going and was telling us a bit about how he has come to loathe the Scourge ships as they were a bitch to render. The CAD files for them are enormous and his PC was struggling to keep up with it towards the end so it became a really laborious process to work on them. Grey can probably remember the numbers but he was also telling us that the cruiser kits will be able to produce a stupid number of part combinations but the rules will merely cover something like 16(?) variants for each race.

There were no new models being shown off as Dropzone just had a wave of stuff and Dropfleet's Kickstarter is imminent. Everything announced for Dropzone was on sale though and here is a quick shot of the display cabinet. Big Bertha is a pretty huge chunk of resin!

Something else cool that was brought in by a player are these PHR conversions. These are a Hades, Nemesis and Helios all converted to be bipedal walkers. They are frankly bloody brilliant.

The Hades/Nemesis were done by cutting the main body in half and using the front as the main torso. The back half was then cut again to make the lower body and two pairs of legs stuck together one inside the other to create the new larger legs. There are some large magnets used in the waist to articulate the whole thing.

The helios is using the legs and front torso of a type 3 walker combined with the back half of a helios chassis.

This conversion is a Condor that has been shortened and a custom cockpit modeled for the front. You can see a pair of Bear APC's magnetised on the sides. It has been done so that there are two magnets on either side allowing for four lighter tanks to be carried instead.

So it was a relatively news light event as the big stuff is being held back for a few weeks and we have had a bunch of major conventions lately. Now, onto the tournament! There were last I heard 57 entries with only a few drop outs I think, so probably 55-ish players making it the biggest Invasion yet. I went in with this list:

quote:

INVAut2015 - Final
Clash: 1495/1500 points
Standard Army
PHR Standard Roster [1495/1500 pts]

Hand of the Sphere [245 pts]
Nemesis: Nemesis(Councillor) [245 pts]

Bodyguard (Battle Pantheon) [223 pts]
Bodyguard [Battle Squad]: Phobos [63 pts]
Helios Squad: 2x Helios, Neptune [160 pts]

Immortals [226 pts]
2x Immortal Longreach Team, Triton A1 [113 pts]
2x Immortal Longreach Team, Triton A1 [113 pts]

Pegasus Group [386 pts]
Janus Squad: 4x Janus, 2x Triton A2 [128 pts]
Sirens: 2x Sirens, Triton A1 [129 pts]
Sirens: 2x Sirens, Triton A1 [129 pts]

Heavy Pantheon [280 pts]
Erebos Squad: 2x Erebos-B, Neptune [110 pts]
Heavy Squad: 2x Odin, Neptune [170 pts]

Air Wing [135 pts]
Athena Squad: Athena [135 pts]

That is a CV3 commander but no Valkyries or Medusa in there as I hadn't picked any up before the event. I don't think I saw any other PHR list that didn't have at least one of those units in it and many were fielding two of each. There were also a large number of Type 4 walkers present, which was not the case at the last event back in Febuary. PHR were the most popular army followed closely by UCM and Resistance (if you combine Allied & Feral) with a sharp drop off before Scourge and Shaltari bringing similar representation. I think first place went to PHR with all five factions being represented in the top 6 rankings which suggests that game balance is looking very good right now.

Game 1: Targets of Opportunity

I was up against a UCM building demo list for game 1 and frankly it took me by surprise in the first couple of turns. This scenario involves 5 objective buildings, two in each half and three along the centre line. I moved my Longreach snipers (one of which were my nominated Forward Air Controllers) into separate buildings in my half while my Sirens went for the centre left and middle buildings. By turn 3 both of the objective buildings in my half had been levelled with my Longreach squads inside before they could find the objectives! Katana's, Eagle gunships and rocket pod armed Raven's make surprisingly efficient demo units that you should not underestimate.

My Nemesis had deployed on a nice long firing line that gave him a commanding view of the field. I put him down facing off against a pair of Scimitars which are also sniper units much like the Nemesis. This was a bit of a gamble on my part as if I fluffed my rolls I would be left open top reprisal. Fortunately I was able to drop the first Scimitar in my opening shot and the second on turn 2 (think I won initiative there). As the battle went on the Nemesis slowly thinned out the Katana block and I was able to slow the building demo.

My opponent found and extracted the first of his backboard objectives quickly and pushed his infantry up my right flank to eventually find a second in the centre-right building. My Sirens both lost their light dropships early but survived the falling masonry rolls long enough to find their objectives. I had to pull what was left of my centre Siren squad out of the crumbling building into open ground holding an objective which ended up secured by my Odins but I couldn't get it off the board. My other Siren squad was holding onto a second objective with no way off the board. My opponents Legionnaires squad that evac'ed the first objective had returned to his search second backboard building and found another. In an effort to prevent him from getting it off the board I played an underground monorail card and sent my objective-laden Sirens forward into CQB, which they won on the final turn leaving me holding three objectives on the table.

Meanwhile, my Athena and Helios squad had been busy hunting light dropships to cut off the bulk of his infantry back on the centre-right. He played a call for extraction card to bring on a replacement Raven and got half way back to his table edge with Praetorians clutching the objective before my Athena shot them down. The squad survived the crash landing so my Erebos-B's moved in to try gunning them down as they ran towards safety. A second call for extraction card was then played to send in a Bear APC to pick them up! At this point I derped with my Athena and forgot to use the limited use E12 missile that hits on a 2+ to kill the Bear. Final turn I lost initiative and the objective was evac'ed with less than an inch to spare.

The score went 9-11 against me, but as I killed more there was no bonus points so it was a very close loss. Late game looked like this, you can see my hope and glory charging Sirens top left and the dropped centre objective before I move the Odins across to secure it.:

Game 2: Ground Control

I was up against a tank heavy Allied Resistance force this time. I lost my Athena early in an attempt to take down a Hellhog but my Longreach teams performed admirably putting holes in heavy tanks and slaughtering infantry that was attempting to man the walls. Grey was playing on the table next to me explaining to my opponent why he hates them so much. :)

My Nemesis put in a decent showing until turn 5 when it's opposite number in the form of a Thunderstorm Custom made it into range and unleashed a storm of salvaged Scourge plasma cannons into it. A Thunderstorm can kill a Nemesis in a single volley. It is impressive. Despite this, things were going well and I was able to keep my eyes on the prize. I kept my Sirens off the table for most of the game in an effort to reduce their exposure. I managed to fly one squad up my left flank where my Odins/Erebos had overpowered my opponent in a flanking move before before cutting across the far side of the board and into the far table quarter.

Highlight move of the game was when my opponent played a card that gave him a bonus 'aerial support' attack with a medium blast template. I played weapon hack to move it over his warlords retinue of technicals. I then fluffed the roll and had it scatter back onto one of my Helios, killing it but failing to damage any of his units! We declared that to be karma in action.

In the final tally we were both dominating each other's table halves while I had units in three table quarters and he didn't. The score went 11-9 to me with no bonus points. I killed 707 points of stuff but not enough to get any bonus points. I don't have any pics and not much else to say but this was probably the most fun game of the lot. It was the first time I have ever gone up against Resistance and we had really tense finish and a lot of laughs.

Game 3: Secure the Flanks

I was up against Scourge this time. My opponent was apparently new to Scourge and usually plays PHR. It showed, and I handed him a battering. This was a game where every roll I needed seemed to go right and by the end of it I was feeling kind of sorry for him while he apologised for his own faltering sense of humour. Ultimately he made some pretty major tactical errors and was no where near aggressive enough. He was initimidated by my gun line and AA bubble so held his units back while I wore him down.

The highlights for me were the one round of CQB where my Sirens completely wiped out his Destroyer squad, shooting down his Eviscerators in their dropship early and killing the lot, and my Athena shooting down his Desolator over two attacks runs as he had left it woefully exposed without AA cover. I had managed to wear down his Reapers while he had placed his Minders in low priority locations, running one squad down a flank with nothing to do all game. We ended up with one objective extracted each, the third being held by a squad of my Sirens and a focal point each as my army is far too slow to reach both with an force in this scenario.

The score was 11-9 to me until the kill points came in. I lost just over 200pts while killing 1158, giving me a whopping +4 bonus points and an 15-5 win for the end of day one!

Game 4: Bunker Assault

The problem with scoring a big win is that you shoot up the rankings, so I went from table 14 up to table 7 and met the captain of Team Sweden who I happen to know is quite good at this game. He was playing Scourge and definitely knows how the army works, so I knew this was going to be tough. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the game seemed to be going right up until turn 6 where he took me to school and utterly out manoeuvred me.

The game came down, as Bunker Assault often does, to final turn shenanigans. I was doing well at killing his units off while keeping the bulk of mine intact so was ahead on kill points. I simply couldn't contest the bunker on his end of the board or keep his Destroyers from reaching the centre, so things came down to the other three. I overpowered his tank column pushing for my home quarter and despite his Desolator (with CV5 commander) hovering over the bunker my Nemesis was there too and I got my Longreach team into it on the final turn to take the focal point. I had my other Longreach team positioned to move into the bunker on my near right-hand side but he charged his warriors out of their bunker (leaving a Slayer tank to hold the focal point) and into CQB with my Longreach squad preventing their move!

My Sirens also ran into difficulty. As with the previous game I brought them onto the board late in an attempt to reduce exposure but lost one squad with their dropship trying to reach the centre bunker. The other squad also got shot down on their way to the far left bunker but survived the crash to hole up in a building opposite the bunker but too far to run for. I played Call for Extraction to send in a new Triton which did reach their building on turn I had to settle for the building next door so only got the one point for contesting the focal point.

The game ended 5-15 with no bonus points. While a crushing blow on paper, the game actually felt really close and I held my own far better than I thought I would on the higher tables, so I'm fairly pleased how it went.

Game 5: Military Complex

PHR vs PHR this time. We were both fielding a Nemesis but my opponent had brought double Medusa and double Valkyrie. I put my FAC Longreach squad in a nice tall tower on my left to start searching and deliver some overwatch while the other squad went far right towards a large objective building they couldn't quite reach in one turn. The Sirens went towards the centre and left hand buildings which again were just out of reach turn 1. Our Nemesis' setup facing each other across the board as we both tried to walk on last. I won and got the first shot off dealing 4 damage to his. :)

Turn 2 I won initiative, went straight for kill shot and fluffed the damage roll so side stepped my commander behind a building to avoid return fire. He then responded by keeping other units (including a landed Neptune) between us so that I couldn't get clear shots on him so both Nemesis would survive thanks to his Medusa doing some repairs.

We ended up with bloody CQB's determining the game as he dumped both Valkyrie squads into the centre building and got an Immortals squad into the far right building ahead my Longreach team. I put my Longreach time into CQB with his Immortals to avoid/delay giving him the objective while I finally decided to put both squads of Sirens into the CQB against his two Valkyrie squads backed by a Medusa. I managed to wipe him out but lost most of one squad and was not able to begin my own searching until turn 3. Those Sirens then spent most of the game trying to find the objective while their dropships got taken out (yet again).

My Athena meanwhile was busy slaughtering my opponents light dropships taking out four of them including two brought in with Call for Extraction cards! One of which was carrying my opponents backboard objective which he over-enthusiastically had moved into it the turn before. My Immortals eventually lost their CQB to the Immortals (also backed by a Medusa) but the objective remained on the board in the hands of the Medusa. My Sirens never found theirs.

I managed to keep the second Medusa suppressed for most of the game thanks to my FAC Longreach squad wearing her down. She eventually dived into the remaining objective building with 1 dp left on her for a last ditch effort to find another objective before I crushed her under falling masonry. I finished by extracting my FAC Longreach squad holding my backboard objective for a butt clenchingly tight 11-9 win. Kill points went in my favour for + bonus points and a 12-8 finish.

My score sheet at the end of it all looked like this:

I came I think 23rd (excel sheet on the projector wasn't easy to read!). So that is 52 tournament points and 4,397 kill points compared to my previous 28 TP and 2,274 KP which earned me 38th of 39. I did better! :D

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 21, 2015

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for that huge write-up!

Those painted scourge look really nice, with the green the scheme works much better than the studio colours for the ground units.

The guy with the PHR walker conversion also has a thread on the hawk forums with detailed instructions if anyone want to emulate that.

Orbital Bombardment also has a bunch of pictures invasion pictures on their twitter, including some UCM frigate renderings:

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Went down briefly on Saturday, mostly to get my PHR into so kind of Clash-worthy state, but got a couple of pictures; here's the display-scale Beijing class Ugleb missed;

Hopefully will be able to get some games in soon, then get around to turning up next Invasion.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Not So Mega-Invasion Report

As Ugleb mentioned, the Dropfleet starters are going to be very interchangeable – IIRC Dave said 26 combinations, 15 of which have rules.

So, onto my reports – I took the following list.

[size=150]6th Air Cav[/size]
Clash: 1495/1500 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1495/1500 pts]
    • Field Command [365 pts]
      • Phoenix: Phoenix(Captain) [285 pts]
      • Falcon Squad: 2x Falcon [80 pts]
    • Armored Formation [388 pts]
      • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
      • Katana Squad: 6x Katana [222 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [245 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
      • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
    • Legionnaire Corps [80 pts]
      • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
    • Expeditionary Group [350 pts]
      • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
      • Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
    • Air Wing [67 pts]
      • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

This is an air heavy list, and the hope was to overwhelm the enemies AA, then destroy it. Then I would be able to rule the skies and rain down death. As long as I don't meet any AA heavy lists, I'll be ok. Lets see how that went!
The Archangel would turn out to be the star.

Game 1 - Targets of Opportunity

My Opponent was running PHR, so an army I'm used to fighting. The Nemisis was on the field, ready to cause some problems – unfortunately for him, his tail gun missed all but once the entire game!

Sorry for the blurry shot – it looked ok on my phone!
What followed was a very odd and tense game – most shots went into the buildings, with most people having to abandon the large 30HP buildings right before they came crashing down. We had a Siren vs Praetorian CQB, but most of it was trying to stop the enemy from getting an objective – we were both very successful at that. Coupled with poor search rolls for both of us, and we found two objectives each. We both got the second one off the board in turn 6.
A 10-10 Draw, with killpoints being about 400 for him, 250 for me. A very strategic game with no shots being wasted off objectives for the first few turns. A nice start and better than my 18-2 crushing defeat last time!

Archangel Tally – Turned up turn 1, shot down turn on trying to snipe a dropship full of sirens. (A worthwhile gamble.)

Game 2: Ground Control

This was almost a mirror UCM list – he'd traded down his commander to a level 3, and gone without Praetorians, and got two archangels and four falcons to my two – He also had no Ferrium. He came on aggressively, and his Phoenix was faced with a wall of drones. He wins initiative on turn 2.

He flies all 16” through them, into the guns of my wolverine – meaning he can't fire either! His Falcons come in on my rapiers, and in some stunning shooting combined with the shots from my Phoenix, he loses them all! I then activate my drones, who come back behind the Phoenix and blow it from the sky!
After that, it was just mopping up – The Archangel takes out a couple of light dropships and both of his Archangels.
It ended up 18-2 after kill-points, and I shot up to table 4. I then got worried, and that's FAR to far up for someone of my skill level.

Archangel tally – 2 Light Dropships, 2 Fast Movers.

Game 3 - Secure the Flanks

Remember when I said I'd be fine if I didn't meet any AA heavy lists – well this PHR had four Helios and Two Phobos – as well as two bloody Medusas and two lots of Valkyries.
Things go as you would expect – I push my Katana's towards one focal point, and my commander towards the other, while the infantry go into the buildings looking for objectives.

I get mine out quickly, but the centre one can't be found before the building fills with Valkryies – my praetorians kill the first wave, but the second wave comes with Medusa support, and my brave guys go down. My commander is to far forwards and gets taken out, meaning I lose both focal points as he advanced gyros his Nemisis twice to get it and a whole load of hurt into the far focal point.
Somehow, those legionnaires in the building at the front of the above image survive, but I've lost a lot of guys. The Archangel spends its time bringing down another three light dropships.

17-3 at the end, but I knew this one would be hard – to far up the rankings and a kryptonite army for mine. I gave it my best though.

Archangel tally – 5 Light Dropships, 2 Fast Movers.

Game 4: Bunker Assault

My second ever game against Shaltari, and my favourite game of the weekend. My duel Praetorians have me something of an edge in the bunkers, but my opponent had a Gareal – so a flamer, as well as three Caymans and a firedrake.
I grabbed the home bunker and set some infantry up for the long haul (posters, carpet, HBO.) while the praetorians got the far bunker on his side. Unfortunately for me, he could get LOS on my Katana's from turn 1 (there was no good place to hide them) and I lost all of them before the game was over – I tried to reach the far point, but there were to many gaps for Caymans to fire down.

I stuck to the plan though, and forced him to reaction fire against all my air – I got some Praetorians and some legionnaires into my right bunker, but lost base – two squads of braves piled in and brutal CQB started, but my Praetorians refused to die. (the legionnaires agreed to die quite readily.) He was able to get enough units in in the last turn to secure it though.

The Archangel had already taken out his smallest gate, then it popped two medium gates and half killed his Firedrake– every time I called it in, I rolled a six, and the last run on the Firedrake came with the Ace in the Making card – my opponants comment was “I'm pretty drat sure he's already an Ace.”
The Pheonix did its job as well – taking the central point and killing two Caymans in a turn with a combination of rockets and chain guns.

In the end though, it was a narrow loss – 11-9, but I got 700 kill points to his 400, so I made him pay for it!

Special mention to that tail Rapier – he got HIT 10 times, and only went down when my opponent sent both a Cayman and the Firedrake after him.

Archangel tally – 6 Light Dropships, 2 Medium gates, 2 Fast Movers. My eternal love.

Game 5: Military Complex

Oh look, this is another PHR list with four Helios and two Phobos, two Medusas and two lots of Valkyries. And its Edchopp from Orbital Bombardment. Oh, and the military complex gives the buildings armour 8, making my Katana demo-brick a lot less effective.

Things started badly, I placed my Phoenix out of range of his Helios with some drones ready to move in and cause some problems – and he countermeasure hacks me, then unloads with everything he has and take 8 of 9 HP off me! I have to fall back and can't do much against the fast moving mass firing Helios – the Falcons go down turn 3 as being a 5+ to hit doesn't help you when so many dice are coming your way!

Add to this the fact that my rolling for objectives is rubbish this game – I get four of the five objective buildings, but can't find anything before he is either blasting them with his gun line or swarming them with Valkyries – CQB 2 means they murder the legionaries and with medusa support they can take on the Praetorians – although the squad he does take on needs his Medusa to enter the building. The central group find an objective, but get crushed by falling masonry, but no one wants to risk getting into the building with only 2HP left.

Oh yeah, the Phoenix goes down – he got Valkyries into my back objective, forcing me to risk my commander to try and blast them out. I do get an objective off from the right hand centre building – but its chased off by Helios units and is tense – then he jumps his Valkyries to a medusa and hands off the objective from by back field building, that medusa moves forwards, hands it off to the other on in the building. The next turn, it moves forwards while the medusa searches and finds the other objective (on a 6 on the first turn of course) then hands both objectives to the other medusa who moves off the board.

It ends up 6-2 to him, and 17-3 when the kill points are counted up – I don't think I made any really stupid mistakes, but I think I burned all my luck in game 4. The Archangel picked off 4 light dropships before dying going for the medium.

Archangel tally – 10 Light Drop-ships, 2 Medium gates, 2 Fast Movers. My eternal love.

Good game all around, I knew the Air Cav was a risk, but getting two AA heavy PHR lists was bad luck – I'm not one to cry about it, but of all the other lists I saw there, these were the worst two I saw on any table near me for my list. Figures!

I still came out with more points than last time though, so its a much better showing!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Beasts of War has a long discussion with Dave and Andy Chambers about Dropfleet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60U1OuAlTWg
i have no idea how to do timestaps with video embedding so either scroll to 12:30 or go here.
There's a lot of stuff we've previously heard but also plenty of new things and the ships are now on dial bases that go mysteriously unmentioned.

Also i finally finished my Kodiak, gonna take some daylight pictures tomorrow and make gifs of the hinge in action and try entering it into hawks monthly competition. I'll also stop posting pictures of it every other post :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Bistromatic posted:

I'll also stop posting pictures of it every other post :v:

No reason to stop doing that! It looks great and you should be proud.

That interview was really good. I am more excited about the game after watching it. I am going to fund the gently caress out of this kickstarter.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Bistromatic posted:

Also i finally finished my Kodiak, gonna take some daylight pictures tomorrow and make gifs of the hinge in action and try entering it into hawks monthly competition. I'll also stop posting pictures of it every other post :v:

Please continue posting pictures, it looks great.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
With my group actually finally getting games in, I decided to paint up my Dropzone Commander Scourge starter set Friday:

Then on Saturday I thought they were looking lonely so I painted the Shal'tari:

And they join my previously painted UCM force which are a bit more standard human colonial marine types that I did months ago:

Finally - fully painted games!! I have all the detail work to do on everything but the basecoats are on and everything is heavily varnished so they're good to go for a while.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Do you often get into a new game by starting three new armies at once?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

Do you often get into a new game by starting three new armies at once?

Ha! Well, the UCM and Scourge are just the 2-player starter box contents, but the Shal'tari grabbed my attention because they look so drat cool, which is why I'm going with a bright orange color similar to the box art. And it take the pressure off the other guys in my group, they don't HAVE to buy a starter army (although 1 has PHR and another is planning to get one) because they can just show up empty-handed and we can have a game. I'm doing the same thing with Deadzone, Warzone and a couple of other games too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I did a similar thing when I bought into the game. Grabbed the two-player starter because it came with the rulebook, terrain, counters, etc. and I planned on starting up UCM eventually anyways. I grabbed the PHR starter to be my actual first real army and expanded from there. So now I just have a random Scourge starter army in case a friend wants to try them out. Whatever.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Has Hawk talked at all about releasing the rulebook on DriveThruRPG or any other PDF source?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Bistromatic posted:

I finally finished my kodiak for dropzone commander, i converted it quite a bit from the standard model.

among other things i made the trailer hinge workable and added a folding antenna that magnetically locks in both positions

and of course it still fits under a dropship

crossquote from by painting thread by popular request :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. It was already an awesome conversion, but it is really impressive to see it in motion like that.

Prefect Six posted:

Has Hawk talked at all about releasing the rulebook on DriveThruRPG or any other PDF source?
They're actually going to be releasing their own rules app so I don't know if they're going to bother with PDFs.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Crossposting from the Oath thread, more of my Homeworld-inspired PHR;

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Complete!

Bonus, fun with magnets;

Apologies for the lack of a clear picture of the Tritons - half my flight stands are too large to fit in the bases/widgets so need to work at them with a file. Decided not to put the orange stripe on the dropships as there wasn't anywhere that looked 'right'. Also had fun with the weathering liquids I picked up after Salute this year (found here) - they dry quick, opaque (or transparent, depending on the colour/effect), and are water soluble even after drying. Smell vile though, and need spray varnish to avoid re-wetting.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Bistromatic posted:

crossquote from by painting thread by popular request :v:

LazyAngel posted:

Crossposting from the Oath thread, more of my Homeworld-inspired PHR;

You are both fantastic.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

They're actually going to be releasing their own rules app so I don't know if they're going to bother with PDFs.

That's right, forgot about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks y'all! And it's always nice to see homeworld themed things, nicely done.