Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
So if you had strong anti-Zionist feelings (but are NOT an anti-Semite!) and wanted to use visual shorthand to depict Israel in, for example, a cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

SB 350, Fresno Edition

SB 350 is a big clean energy bill that just passed in California. Oil lobbyists got their way and the provision to cut petroleum use to 50% by 2030 got taken out.

Ohman likes to draw Jerry Brown's corgi.

There's a California Über Alles parody to be made here, isn't there?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Skellybones posted:

So if you had strong anti-Zionist feelings (but are NOT an anti-Semite!) and wanted to use visual shorthand to depict Israel in, for example, a cartoon

The flag of Israel, not the Magen David.

I understand that the flag has it on it, but it's the use of the symbol by itself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regalingualius posted:

There's a California Über Alles parody to be made here, isn't there?

... you've never actually listened to California Uber Alles, have you?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

homerlaw posted:

Absolutely, they are all devout anti-Zionists who view Israel as an affront to human dignity & Jewish history.

It's in the flag, though. Did Kung Fuhrer travel ahead in time and force them to put it there?

efb by the poster himself. Some people are offended by anything, though. Here's a mix of stinkers and zingers from Steve Sack: (apparently, Obama is now The Joker from The Animated Series)

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 15, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

making sure that there are survivors.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fox Ironic posted:

If you used the emblem on the Iranian flag to symbloize Iranian aggression, it would be bigoted against Muslims in general (it's a Shia religious symbol).

Not really? It uses religious symbolism but it was created specifically to represent Iran, and its designer is still around these days.

Likewise, the Union Jack is made of three different crosses (of St. Andrew, St. George, and St. Patrick), but not many people would consider it a religious symbol.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

It takes weeks for that kind of prep...except for the towers which took mere days of stockpiling WEAPONS GRADE NANO-THERMITE.

I love it. The conspirators took all this extra time and risk of discovery to carefully wire up building 7 for demolition and gave it all away by forgetting to fly a plane into it.

Why was demolishing building 7 necessary again? What did they get out of it that they didn't get from destroying the twin towers alone?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Splode posted:

The three big roles are prime minister, deputy prime minister (still Scary glare lady Julie Bishop), and treasurer. Joe Hockey and Tones have stuck together the whole time, so now Abbott is gone Hockey will be relegated to "the back bench" forever (basically just an MP, no longer a minister for anything). There's a chance Tony and/or Hockey will resign rather than hang around sadly in parliament for the rest of time, but who knows. Regardless of which, Hockey won't be doing anything that warrants being put in a cartoon anymore.

The three big roles they are talking about are Leader of the Opposition, Shadow Chancellor and Shadow Home Secretary. And Shadow Foreign Secretary as well really.

Deputy Prime Minister isn't even a thing, it was invented for Prescott and then for Clegg, it has no actual power and isn't an office in the Shadow Cabinet.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

That is a terrific caricature!

...what the hell kind of bus has seats that close to the windshield, apparently right next to the front door?? The way this is arranged, Rosa Parks is also preventing anyone else from boarding the bus, by sitting where she is.

Again, both caricatures are good, but Rosa Parks not being instantly recognizable without a label, to most people, is one of the reasons Davis' horrible "Rosa Parks" comparison was difficult (if not impossible) to build a good cartoon around.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Taear posted:

The three big roles they are talking about are Leader of the Opposition, Shadow Chancellor and Shadow Home Secretary. And Shadow Foreign Secretary as well really.

Deputy Prime Minister isn't even a thing, it was invented for Prescott and then for Clegg, it has no actual power and isn't an office in the Shadow Cabinet.

Huh? What does British politics have to do with this?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
We're the mother of all parliaments doncha know, and when we come up with a pointless bauble to give to a bigwig, news travels.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

I love it. The conspirators took all this extra time and risk of discovery to carefully wire up building 7 for demolition and gave it all away by forgetting to fly a plane into it.

Why was demolishing building 7 necessary again? What did they get out of it that they didn't get from destroying the twin towers alone?

According to some conspiracies I've read, demolishing 7 was the whole point and the Twin Towers being taken out was a misdirection. Building 7, you see, had CIA offices in them, and all the records within them destroyed with the hit, so there must have been some massive data they were trying to eradicate in a huge cover-up. It also had SEC offices in them, and a bunch of anti-Wall Sreet cases suddenly were dropped or delayed when the evidence stored in Building 7 went up in smoke.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

I like this. This is good.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Fuckin' love that vulture in the lower left. Havin' a good time with Mr. Cheney!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nerd plus rage posted:

He's just so happy to finally earn it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eschers Basement posted:

According to some conspiracies I've read, demolishing 7 was the whole point and the Twin Towers being taken out was a misdirection. Building 7, you see, had CIA offices in them, and all the records within them destroyed with the hit, so there must have been some massive data they were trying to eradicate in a huge cover-up. It also had SEC offices in them, and a bunch of anti-Wall Sreet cases suddenly were dropped or delayed when the evidence stored in Building 7 went up in smoke.

IIRC there was also a huge stash of gold in a vault in WTC7's basement and the demolition was part of a plan to steal it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

nerd plus rage posted:

Ditto

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC there was also a huge stash of gold in a vault in WTC7's basement and the demolition was part of a plan to steal it.

Sept. 12, 2001. A parking garage in New Jersey. Three separate vehicles, including a box van painted like a New York metropolitan ambulance, arrive at slightly staggered times. Danny Ocean, Rusty Ryan and Osama bin Laden are meeting to split the cash. Another heist expertly pulled off, and America is none the wiser.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Just since it's being discussed again, part of the reason the Illuminati or NWO council of 13 or whatever communicate their intentions is because it's supposedly a form of mass brainwashing. Subliminal messages reminding of traumatic events pots the public in a quiescent susceptible state. Monarch mind control is a big hallmark of a lot of conspiracy theorists who see patterns in pop culture stuff. It's so much of a joke that a bunch of things in the venture brothers are all obvious references to it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Political Whores posted:

Just since it's being discussed again, part of the reason the Illuminati or NWO council of 13 or whatever communicate their intentions is because it's supposedly a form of mass brainwashing. Subliminal messages reminding of traumatic events pots the public in a quiescent susceptible state. Monarch mind control is a big hallmark of a lot of conspiracy theorists who see patterns in pop culture stuff. It's so much of a joke that a bunch of things in the venture brothers are all obvious references to it.

Don't forget the effectiveness of hiding in plain sight. Read the Illuminatus! trilogy to learn what's really going on. :tinfoil:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

cram me sideways posted:

Fuckin' love that vulture in the lower left. Havin' a good time with Mr. Cheney!

Cheney & Pals

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
London 1979:

A graphic artist is hard at work designing a cover for Supertramp's latest album, suddenly, intimidating men in black suits appear in his studio.

One of them takes a look at the work in progress, he turns to the artist and says "make it so the U and P in 'Supertramp' align with the top of the Twin Towers..."

"but why?"

"You'll find out in about 20 years..."

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

nerd plus rage posted:

I swear there was a version that Bennet or someone else where the award was behind a mostly dusted case that had been wiped. I could be imagining things though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

homerlaw posted:

I understand that the flag has it on it, but it's the use of the symbol by itself.

I've said this before -- it'd be like trying to criticize, say, Finland by using a giant cross in all your imagery, or (as someone else said) criticizing Turkey using a star and crescent. The cartoon would not be saying what you were trying to make it say. However this was in a discussion about Carlos Latuff so nobody really paid any attention to it :v:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Maggie bust isn't a shrine of skulls. Get with it, Carlos

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

homerlaw posted:

It's almost as if Israel's use of that symbology were intended to conflate all of Judaism with its national policies and so give them yet another way to blunt criticism with accusations of anti-semitism.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

loquacius posted:

I've said this before -- it'd be like trying to criticize, say, Finland by using a giant cross in all your imagery, or (as someone else said) criticizing Turkey using a star and crescent. The cartoon would not be saying what you were trying to make it say. However this was in a discussion about Carlos Latuff so nobody really paid any attention to it :v:

Makes sense, when you think about all those other countries that also use the star of david on their flag.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Man that's pretty genius, I would have probably just gone in and pushed a piece of paper through to the teller saying,"Gimme the cash I gotta gun."

You see the trick is I don't really have a gun, so it's not REALLY armed robbery - in fact, maybe I was being colloquial and saying give me my own money, as I'm in a hurry. Check and mate, justice system :smug:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

Makes sense, when you think about all those other countries that also use the star of david on their flag.

It's like when you want to criticize ethiopia but then get accused of being anti-satanist.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Huh? What does British politics have to do with this?

confusion between the big fuss being kicked up about jeremy corbyn and our own australian political occurrences i'd guess

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

VitalSigns posted:

The Secret Jew Gold idea has already been mentioned, but my favorite is that WTC7 had the plans for 9/11 itself. Because they just didn't feel like buying a shredder, I guess.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 15, 2015

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

It's just that there's no metaphor there. If the line were "we'll let the velociraptors have razor sharp claws" there would be a metaphor. This is just one thing talking about another thing with no real logical thread connecting them.

It's like if every time you saw something physically big, no matter that it might be, you thought "hah like the national debt is numerically."

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Secret Jew Gold idea has already been mentioned, but my favorite is that WTC7 had the plans for 9/11 itself. Because they just didn't feel like buying a shredder, I guess.

see they ran out of paper so they started writing it out on the walls, and this was before they invented mr clean magic erasers :colbert:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

betaraywil posted:

It's just that there's no metaphor there. If the line were "we'll let the velociraptors have razor sharp claws" there would be a metaphor. This is just one thing talking about another thing with no real logical thread connecting them.

It's like if every time you saw something physically big, no matter that it might be, you thought "hah like the national debt is numerically."

yeah but the velociraptors needed to have razor sharp claws to compete in the ecosystem, and then the metaphor would have actually accurately described the reasons for Iran wanting nukes rather than the twisted hyperbole that ramirez was going for

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why do these guys never let their enemies have a fuckup? Why can't they slip up and make a mistake? You know, one that isn't retroactively hiding what they were planning in decades-early pop culture kitsch?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:3:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lord Hydronium posted:

Man that has got to be one of the stupidest conspiracy theories I've ever heard in my life. A split second of thinking about it should bring up a whole bunch of reasons that would be a terrible idea. So naturally it's true, I'm completely convinced now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sounds like the plot of Die Hard (WTC) 7.

• Locked thread