Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

ShineDog posted:

Also there's nothing to say the apocalypse was instant. Things were very bad even in mm1 despite a functioning government. It's entirely possible that other parts of Australia were even further gone, with early 20s max one of the last cops in the country.

I'm pretty sure there's a "badlands do not enter" sign you can see to support that argument.

The Road Warrior into also mentions that Max 'wandered out into the wasteland'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Well, I hosed up something pretty bad and I don't know if it's fixable. I squatted at Jeet's for a long time, clearing out his territory entirely, and then went on to Gutgash's territory. I stayed just long enough to get what I needed to open up the Jaw and pass north. I picked up a couple Wasteland quests at Gutgash's place - one from him and one from Glory - but (spoilers for Glory's whole situation) when I got to Pink Eye's stronghold, Glory was randomly tied to Stank Gum's truck and he took off with her. And now she's gone from Gutgash's house and I don't know if I'll ever be able to reach her to continue her quest line despite the fact that after completing her quest the game tells me she has more for me. Am I just completely hosed on that whole quest chain?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I really like the theory that pretty much all of Australia descended into total madness and death, while a few stubbornly tenacious scraps of civilization persisted for a while under the protection of groups like the MFP. Max spent most of his young life in MFP territory so he grew up surrounded by the trappings and habits of the old world, but beyond their borders the chaos of the Wasteland ruled everything. By the time Max ventured out into the wastes, they had been barren and full of absolute loving maniacs for more than a generation, which is why some of the younger inhabitants like Nux don't know what trees are and think "shows" are some kind of space magic that everyone in the world used to casually practice with their ancient technosorcery.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

Am I just completely hosed on that whole quest chain?

You should be fine. Said character will be available again later and worst case scenario the game resets a bunch to be available postgame.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ShineDog posted:

Also there's nothing to say the apocalypse was instant. Things were very bad even in mm1 despite a functioning government. It's entirely possible that other parts of Australia were even further gone, with early 20s max one of the last cops in the country.

I'm pretty sure there's a "badlands do not enter" sign you can see to support that argument.
Yeah, the vibe I got from the History Artifacts in the game is that "the apocalypse" was a perfect storm of unexplainable environmental factors leading to mass extinctions/drastic climate shifts/oceans receeding and drying up, with societal unrest due to people not being able to explain/understand what was going on leading to society destabilizing and a bunch of nuclear exchanges (which only helped speed up the world going to poo poo).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, the vibe I got from the History Artifacts in the game is that "the apocalypse" was a perfect storm of unexplainable environmental factors leading to mass extinctions/drastic climate shifts/oceans receeding and drying up, with societal unrest due to people not being able to explain/understand what was going on leading to society destabilizing and a bunch of nuclear exchanges (which only helped speed up the world going to poo poo).

And random rear end plagues/diseases as well. If it could go wrong it happened.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Well, I hosed up something pretty bad and I don't know if it's fixable. I squatted at Jeet's for a long time, clearing out his territory entirely, and then went on to Gutgash's territory. I stayed just long enough to get what I needed to open up the Jaw and pass north. I picked up a couple Wasteland quests at Gutgash's place - one from him and one from Glory - but (spoilers for Glory's whole situation) when I got to Pink Eye's stronghold, Glory was randomly tied to Stank Gum's truck and he took off with her. And now she's gone from Gutgash's house and I don't know if I'll ever be able to reach her to continue her quest line despite the fact that after completing her quest the game tells me she has more for me. Am I just completely hosed on that whole quest chain?

her name is hope, glory is the kid, all her stuff is main storyline, impossible to screw up. she approaches you later in the story

Also, could the salt in the oceans even fill the peaks and valleys to make a salt flat?

What if it wasn't an apocalypse and Australia is just an arid shithole and the rest of the world is getting on fine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Powershift posted:

What if it wasn't an apocalypse and Australia is just an arid shithole and the rest of the world is getting on fine.

this is basically what FarCry 2 is but in Africa

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I mostly really like this game, but man, I hate the way checkpointing is set up when you're not invading an outpost or doing a story mission. Just drop me back near where I was if I gently caress up and die while doing side stuff, don't kick me all the way back to the last stronghold I was at, gently caress...
Fast travel will get you back p close.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Powershift posted:

What, you're saying Mad Max takes place in modern times then? :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

What, you're saying Mad Max takes place in modern times then? :v:

Well, i know with the movie it was too dangerous to film in australia, what with the bogans and spiders and all, so they moved the filming to the safety of nambia.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Gotta load up on fire

Sorry Max, gotta focus on the car over here

Praise be! Chum is the best.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I cleared my final camp last night, just as Chum shouted about the STORM OF STORMS, BLACKEST OF BLACK approached.

At last, we can leave. :unsmith:

Also I'm glad Chum is a technomancer and managed to put some target tracking gizmo in the thunderpoon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've done all the (non-repeatable) challenges but didn't get the Up to the Task achievement - does anybody know if it is tied to anything else (I figure maybe completing the Death Runs with EVERY optional car type) or if there are just challenges that aren't showing on my Legend tab when I look at it.

I looked in the statistics and despite completing the main storyline and every wasteland mission; having collected every scrap, relic & vehicle; clearing every camp; upgrading every stronghold fully; buying every upgrade for Max and the car etc it says I've only done 79% of the game, so I think I might just be missing something that for some reason isn't immediately obvious?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Apparently if you start a new game after finishing the story, you keep your shotgun and jacket.

Wonder how hard it'd be to poke this game with Cheat Engine and makes all the story/legend gated bits available for an improvised new game+.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Capn Beeb posted:

Apparently if you start a new game after finishing the story, you keep your shotgun and jacket.

Wonder how hard it'd be to poke this game with Cheat Engine and makes all the story/legend gated bits available for an improvised new game+.

If someone makes a table that unlocks all the upgrades right from the start where all you need is scrap, i'm bumrushing V8 and never playing anything else ever again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I have a super basic grasp of how cheat engine works, mostly searching and adjusting values to get more stuff :( There's got to be a way to flip the story/danger level of areas flags on upgrades, though.

Found this table that handles legend levels, though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Capn Beeb posted:

I have a super basic grasp of how cheat engine works, mostly searching and adjusting values to get more stuff :( There's got to be a way to flip the story/danger level of areas flags on upgrades, though.

Found this table that handles legend levels, though.

Found the guys over at cheathappens talking about loving with Mad Max

cheathappens dev posted:

nope...we've looked at this game up and down. the game uses a combination of LUA scripting and some string loop functions to store data haphazardly and to stay in touch with alot of the game variables and data. While I can access certain things (like griffin, etc.) by doing searches for memory changes, the problem comes in isolating it in a segment of game code. Right now we have hours and hours of reversing in this game, and most of the options that can be achieved by most trainer makers has been done at this point. If you notice not much new has been added by any of us since the initial releases, and this is because of the way the data is stored, and retrieved in memory.

Looking around this is the same thing that's going to choke modding out of the game unless people get *real* dedicated. A few simple mods would add so much but it doesn't look likely.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I've done all the (non-repeatable) challenges but didn't get the Up to the Task achievement - does anybody know if it is tied to anything else (I figure maybe completing the Death Runs with EVERY optional car type) or if there are just challenges that aren't showing on my Legend tab when I look at it.

I looked in the statistics and despite completing the main storyline and every wasteland mission; having collected every scrap, relic & vehicle; clearing every camp; upgrading every stronghold fully; buying every upgrade for Max and the car etc it says I've only done 79% of the game, so I think I might just be missing something that for some reason isn't immediately obvious?

Just finished my platinum run today. There's a few challenges that are easy to overlook. I found I was missing a few of the vehicle challenges like the one where you have to drive the Righteous Spike archangel for 1.9 miles at top speed without slowing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

KakerMix posted:

Found the guys over at cheathappens talking about loving with Mad Max

Looking around this is the same thing that's going to choke modding out of the game unless people get *real* dedicated. A few simple mods would add so much but it doesn't look likely.

Well, poo poo. :(

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Capn Beeb posted:

Well, poo poo. :(

Considering there is no online component I'm kinda of surprised how hard the developers made it to mod the game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Capn Beeb posted:

Why must you turn this thread into a House of Lies <:mad:>

No really though, if this is actually a thing am I doing something wrong? I've beaten the story twice and started new games, got all the way up to where you get to Jeet's stronghold so that Max's upgrade menu is unlocked, and no jacket or shotgun. Do you mean that you get the goods after you complete the main story? Because that's definitely true.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

No really though, if this is actually a thing am I doing something wrong? I've beaten the story twice and started new games, got all the way up to where you get to Jeet's stronghold so that Max's upgrade menu is unlocked, and no jacket or shotgun. Do you mean that you get the goods after you complete the main story? Because that's definitely true.

Just what I saw while I was searching around for game+ news.

BexGu posted:

Considering there is no online component I'm kinda of surprised how hard the developers made it to mod the game.

Meanwhile, GTA5 mods are alive and well. Except for when Rockstar updates and fucks up the framework that makes it all work. Or punishes people for having it in their game directories. :v:

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It's not like developers go out their way to make things unmoddable, it's the opposite. Making a game moddable, especially tools to do so, can make everything much more difficult. It is really something that needs to be a design goal at the start.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AutomaticPrince posted:

Just finished my platinum run today. There's a few challenges that are easy to overlook. I found I was missing a few of the vehicle challenges like the one where you have to drive the Righteous Spike archangel for 1.9 miles at top speed without slowing.

I know I've done that one, do all doable challenges show up in the legends tab by default or do you have to have unlocked/done particular things to make them become visible? Because right now I've only got a few uncompleted challenges in my list, and they're all ones that you repeat which aren't supposed to count towards the achievement.

If I finish up every car variation of the Death Runs and it still doesn't unlock, then I'm all out of ideas on what else I can do.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I hope this does alright in future steam sales, the release timing was just so unfortunate, it's just gotten completely lost in the MSGV hype and the fact they're pretty similar open world styles.

I just want to see a sequel where they polish up a few things, it's a pretty good all round game and wouldn't take much to turn into a loving awesome game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

I feel like my 'Max is a Highlander' theory addresses such incongruities just fine :colbert:

Another suggestion I've seen is that Max is not really a person anymore. He's a myth, one of the legends of the wasteland. The things attributed to him were really accomplished by a dozen or more different people, who all got agglomerated into the legend of 'Mad Max'.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rudager posted:

I hope this does alright in future steam sales, the release timing was just so unfortunate, it's just gotten completely lost in the MSGV hype and the fact they're pretty similar open world styles.

I just want to see a sequel where they polish up a few things, it's a pretty good all round game and wouldn't take much to turn into a loving awesome game.

It has been #2 on steam sales for some times. Also the fact that it easy to find it for around 20$ and I'm pretty confident it's doing well sales-wise.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

ShineDog posted:

I could stand to see the rear end step out a little more and gta does that

Lighten your car up and put in a bigger engine. when i did that i was stepping out everytime i punched it after turning from a dead stop. How it should be

Also here's one of the signs yall were referencing earlier

I'd have to throw the movie on to take pictures of the others; i cant GIS it

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Honestly the bad reviews for Mad Max has done way more for it than if everyone had just said it was :mediocre:

It could easily have been lost in the MGS V release, now it's got more positive Steam reviews than Metal Gear does.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You must be doing something wrong 'cos I just checked and it's definitely true.

I'm on PC, saved again in slot 10 just in case, started again and saved over slot 1, did some tutorial missions in the starting area and I can use the jacket and shotgun after unlocking the Max menu.

No Interceptor though, maybe when I hit Jeet's? :pray:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Paingod556 posted:

I prefer 'The Dread Wastelander Mad Max' theory, the name is passed down to whoever rides shotgun when the current Max decides to retire.

This theory makes me want to believe the sequel to this will actually be called "Crazed Chumbucket". Praise be!

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I'm really split on this game.

On the one hand, it's fun as gently caress. The vehicle combat is super satisfying, cars blow up real good, the harpoon is incredible, and I love being able to target individual car components/drivers.
Ground combat is also awesome, especially once you unlock most of Max's abilities. Wading into a crowd of like 15 guys and just wrecking their poo poo wholesale, snapping necks and bending elbows the wrong way and embedding shivs in their necks as I go, is amazingly satisfying.

The problem is, the more I play it, the less I feel like Max from the movies. Like, Max in the movies isn't a combat monster who assaults scavenger huts, snaps 6 necks in 4 seconds without taking a hit, steals all their poo poo, and leaves. I don't feel like "the underdog" or an "unlikely hero" who's in way over his head. I feel like an rear end in a top hat, when I roll up on some scrap location and just wreck everyone's poo poo and take their stuff.
Likewise, the world itself is a little too grimdark and gory. There's corpses and skeletons literally everywhere, casually sitting on chairs in camps, stacked high in the hallways, soaking in bathtubs, dangling from ceilings, etc. I knew things felt a little "off" when I took a selfie of Max standing in front of a literal pillar made of charred and dismembered body parts that was 10 feet tall. I, uh, I don't remember seeing that in the movies. I haven't seen this many festering corpses casually strewn about since the Dead Space games.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fun as hell and I'm having a blast, but I'm not really sure it's a good "Mad Max" game. It's at its best when you're in a car, trashing other cars. But the moment you get out of the car (which is a really, really significant part of the game), it stops being a truly good Mad Max game.

I kind of look at it from the viewpoint of 'who's in charge of these lands?'. Whereas Immortan Joe is still a crazy weirdo with his own aesthetic, there's also more of a sense of order to his territory. He's stingy with it, but he does provide water to people outside of his army, and he's more of an inspirational figure. In contrast, Scrotus is fullblown nutso and it feels like the war boys under his command would be all the more massacre-y than anyone serving under Joe's command.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Korgan posted:

You must be doing something wrong 'cos I just checked and it's definitely true.

I'm on PC, saved again in slot 10 just in case, started again and saved over slot 1, did some tutorial missions in the starting area and I can use the jacket and shotgun after unlocking the Max menu.

No Interceptor though, maybe when I hit Jeet's? :pray:

What the fuuuuuuck okay I gotta figure this out, because having those things unlocked right from the start would totally make me want to play through it one last time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Another suggestion I've seen is that Max is not really a person anymore. He's a myth, one of the legends of the wasteland. The things attributed to him were really accomplished by a dozen or more different people, who all got agglomerated into the legend of 'Mad Max'.

The world is completely normal. Max lost his mind when his wife and child died. Those big chases where Raiders are after him... the Raiders are actually the police.

When he ploughs through a car on the side of the road? That's just some dad changing the tire on his minivan.

Extended non car sequences like thunderdrome? He got caught and is in the mental hospital. Master blaster stole his fruit cup.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I understand I'm not the only one having bugs trying to clear tanker camps: is there any fix imminent? I need that scrap contribution dammit!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

UntilYouAreSoNude posted:

I kind of look at it from the viewpoint of 'who's in charge of these lands?'. Whereas Immortan Joe is still a crazy weirdo with his own aesthetic, there's also more of a sense of order to his territory. He's stingy with it, but he does provide water to people outside of his army, and he's more of an inspirational figure. In contrast, Scrotus is fullblown nutso and it feels like the war boys under his command would be all the more massacre-y than anyone serving under Joe's command.

Scrotus was normalish and respected by his underlings before Max wedged the chainsaw in his head. After that he went insane. :eng101:
I've got nothing on the top dogs or the dancing knife guy though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Thanks to Pink Eye, Gutgash and Jeet, this area was doing ok for normals until Scrotus moved in and wrecked the deal they had going. Secure bases, access to good loot from the reclaimed sea floor, it was a good spot. Then Scrotus took over, which became an absolute murderfest by Scrotus' War Boys after he got his chainsaw trepanning. All those corpses and bodies, most like a recent development. Which you're fixing, as you play the game.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rhymenoserous posted:

The world is completely normal. Max lost his mind when his wife and child died. Those big chases where Raiders are after him... the Raiders are actually the police.

When he ploughs through a car on the side of the road? That's just some dad changing the tire on his minivan.

Extended non car sequences like thunderdrome? He got caught and is in the mental hospital. Master blaster stole his fruit cup.

So.... Fury road is him busting out of the nuthouse along with a bunch of other inmates in a stolen shortbus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GyverMac posted:

So.... Fury road is him busting out of the nuthouse along with a bunch of other inmates in a stolen shortbus?

I want to hate this, but at the same time, he's put in a straight jacket by a bunch of dudes dressed in white and lead by a guy who wears a mask covering his mouth, who keep taking his blood away because he's so crazy.

• Locked thread