Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I also played IRL Codenames over the weekend, and it does indeed kick arse. We did have a couple of rules questions. The first was how exactly you're supposed to judge if a translation is direct or not. I guess that's just the name of the game when playing in foreign.
The other one was this: The card was "tap" and the clue was "administration personnel" (or rather the Danish slightly better sounding version of that). The thing is that "TAP" is a university acronym for "technical/administrative personnel", so it felt like using an acronym, but in a weird backwards way.
But again: The game was great fun, even with four players and just one team. I look forward to trying it with 6+ though.

Also: Picking starting players in a thematic way is the best :colbert:. We usually houserule something if the game doesn't have a good rule. Rules like "oldest player" and "last attended university" suck because they're static though, so we usually houserule those too, so for instance "who was last on university grounds" or something. We played Cappuccino the other day, and the obvious starting player was the last person to have had coffee. Worked great.

And here's an example list of games and starting rules:
Mage Knight: Whoever last burned something
Dominion: Whoever last watched and episode of DS9
Colt Express: Whoever was last on a train
Dungeon Lords: Whoever was a dick last
Tash-Kalar: Whoever last did stuff with clay

Final note: Board game cafés and cloth bags are not a great combination. We picked up Roll for the Galaxy, opened the box and immediately decided against playing it. The sweaty stench was just horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

The End posted:

An Advance Order permits one move for each unit, from the departure point to its destination. The move is via a legal path through friendly areas to the destination area. As all units are moved simultaneously, the neutral system only becomes friendly as all units arrive.

The rulebook is patently unambiguous on the matter, using clearly defined keywords to provide boundaries. You're either not comprehending what you're reading or being deliberately obtuse.

I know we're beating this question to death, but one advance order would allow you to capture an uncontrolled planet in the active system AND initiate combat in the same system, right? I guess the basic rule is you can only move your poo poo into ONE hostile planet/void.

It's obviously simultaneous so (on the same move) you could NOT move through the planet you just captured.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I like seeing what the first player decision is in the books for every game i play, but in my experience the first player will be the same one every time you play with the same group, since they usually involve relatively uncommon or unchanging things.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Played Five Tribes for the second time yesterday. Found out we read the rules wrong the first time in regards to viziers. "10 points per player you have more viziers than", not "10 points if you have the most viziers". Suddenly they seemed much better, and almost broken. But I think it balances quite well, giving all players something to try to keep up with. Still enjoy the game a lot, though knowing what to do can be quite confusing/AP-inducing. I just love the feeling of picking up colored meeples and moving them around the board, dropping them off one at a time. Good times.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Mantis posted:

I know we're beating this question to death, but one advance order would allow you to capture an uncontrolled planet in the active system AND initiate combat in the same system, right? I guess the basic rule is you can only move your poo poo into ONE hostile planet/void.

It's obviously simultaneous so (on the same move) you could NOT move through the planet you just captured.

But an uncontrolled world isn't actually hostile, so it doesn't count as capturing something. It's not like walking into a place that only has an enemy building - that's specifically a hostile action and would mean you stop.
I say that because each thing is treated differently in the rules. If you consider an uncontrolled world as something you're capturing then maybe but again it's not said in the rules.

And I know we're beating it to death but it does significantly affect gameplay.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 15, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I installed chwazi but then I put it to 2, put two fingers on it, and it just spun around and neither was chosen. What am I doing wrong?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I installed chwazi but then I put it to 2, put two fingers on it, and it just spun around and neither was chosen. What am I doing wrong?

2 means it will choose two. It autodetects the number of fingers. But since it can also be used for "who goes into the mating shed", choosing more than one is a good feature.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

silvergoose posted:

The interface is a bit confusing. The number represents how many you'd like the app to pic. Set it to 1!

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
During an advance order, the order is resolved in order:

1. Ship moves
2. Ground moves
3. Combat in the one permitted contested area or Orbital Strike.

From the Rules Reference: Page 8

quote:

A player may move ground units to worlds in the active system
when he resolves an Advance Order. He may also move ground
units using a variety of abilities.

quote:

• When one or more ground units move during an Advance Order, they are removed from their current world and placed on the destination world. There must be a legal path between the starting world and the destination world.

Implying that the destination(s) is selected at the point of resolving the move order, and that there is a legal path extant between starting world and destination.

quote:

» A legal path is a series of contiguous friendly areas leading to the destination world. This can include worlds and/or voids.

Contiguous meaning unbroken and in FS, orthogonally adjacent. Note that worlds are friendly when already containing your units or structures, voids are friendly when containing your ships.

quote:

» The destination world must be in the active system.
» The world a ground unit moves from must be in the active system or one system that is adjacent to the active system. Ground units cannot move into the active system from more than one adjacent system.
» During an Advance Order, if a ship moved from an adjacent system to the active system, ground units cannot move into the active system from a different adjacent system. Ground units that are already in the active system are not restricted by this.

quote:

» Ground units on a world adjacent to the destination world always have a legal movement path.
In the learning to play book, this is illustrated on page 11. The unit at point 5, that started the advance order in the NE Area, moves South. The units that enter the NE square would be eligible to move through the area to the SE Area as well, as the NE Area is a friendly area before and during the advance.

quote:

» Ground units cannot move through a contested, uncontrolled, or enemy void.
» A contested area cannot be used as part of a legal path.

Now, this is probably the wording you're fixated on. Whilst the rules don't explicitly say "Ground units cannot move through an uncontrolled area" in this line, the preceding rule "A legal path is a series of contiguous friendly areas leading to the destination world." applies already, and an uncontrolled world is not friendly until the advance order is finished.

quote:

» During an Advance Order, all ground units move simultaneously. This means that all legal paths are determined before moving any ground units.

This line is the kicker. The path is determined before the units are moved. The area switches from uncontrolled to friendly at the end of the resolution of the order.

quote:

• A ground unit must end its movement on a world.
• If an ability allows a player to place a ground unit in an area, it does not need a legal path to move to that area. A ground unit cannot be placed on a void.
• A player can move up to five ground units to a world, even if, by doing so, he exceeds the world’s unit capacity. After resolving all movement, including any combat started while resolving the order, he must destroy any units that are in excess of the world’s unit capacity

One more time

quote:

From Areas, page 3

An area exists in one of four states, as follows:
» Friendly: An area is friendly to a player if it contains at least one of his units or structures and none of his opponent’s units or structures.
» Enemy: An area is enemy to a player if it contains at least one of an opponent’s units or structures and none of his own units or structures.
» Uncontrolled: An uncontrolled area is any area that does not contain any units or structures from any faction; it may contain an objective token.
» Contested: A contested area is any area that contains units or structures belonging to two factions. An area becomes contested whenever units are moved or placed onto an enemy area.

And from the Learn to Play book, page 10

quote:

MOVING GROUND UNITS
When moving a ground unit, a player can move a unit from the world it currently occupies to any world in the active system connected via a path. A path is a series of contiguous, non-diagonal, friendly areas. A path can consist of worlds, voids, or a mix of both (see the “Advance Order Example” on page 11).
Ground units can move from one world to an adjacent world without the use of a ship. Thematically, they are using nonmilitary transport ships or other mundane forms of travel that are not represented in the game.

Page 2 of Rules Reference

quote:

THE GOLDEN RULES
The golden rules are fundamental concepts on which all other game rules are built.
• The Rules Reference is the definitive source for all rules information. If something in this document contradicts information from the Learn to Play booklet, this Rules Reference takes precedence.

You can occupy multiple uncontrolled planet areas in a single advance, but they both have to be accessible from the pre-existing path at the start of the order. You can also occupy an uncontrolled planet and start a land combat, but once again, each world needs to be adjacent to a friendly planet area or a freshly occupied void space during that advance order. If you need a reason to understand why voids can be freshly occupied, there are two:
1. Ship movement is resolved first. (rules)
2. Warships are faster than carrier fleets. (theme)

It's unambiguous if you can read.

The End fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 15, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BonHair posted:

2 means it will choose two. It autodetects the number of fingers. But since it can also be used for "who goes into the mating shed", choosing more than one is a good feature.

Ahh, okay. Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BonHair posted:

Dungeon Lords: Whoever was a dick last

It's a bit unfair that whoever suggested playing the game always goes first, isn't it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
And again, in all of what you've quoted it doesn't say that I cannot move my unit to an uncontrolled world then move it again to the next world along.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Taear posted:

And again, in all of what you've quoted it doesn't say that I cannot move my unit to an uncontrolled world then move it again to the next world along.

It does state this, just not in the specific combination of words to penetrate your skull. There is no legal path. For it to be a legal move there must be. Note the past tense indicating a preexisting state. How do you not understand this?

The End fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 15, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The order is resolved like this:

1. Advance order selected.
2. Ship moves are resolved.
3. Ground Unit step - (imagine this resolves concurrently for all ground units moving, though you would obviously go step by step irl)
Starting unit/s selected.
Destination area identified.
Path legality is checked based on board state at the start of this step.
Move is resolved.
3. Contested area resolved
4. Ownership of areas flip to new status.

The rules don't explicitly rule out melting enemy units with a high powered laser pointer either, but I'd say it's not part of the game. You need to understand that if an action isn't specifically permitted in the rules (in boardgame rules in general!), it's not up to you to go colour in the margins, unless there is ambiguity. In this instance, there clearly isn't.

The End fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 15, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

The End posted:

Forbidden stars

As a 3rd party observer to this argument, your logic is very good and well delineated, but your instance on adding an insult to the end of each post is pretty off putting and belittling. You can debate him without speaking down to him.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Megasabin posted:

As a 3rd party observer to this argument, your logic is very good and well delineated, but your instance on adding an insult to the end of each post is pretty off putting and belittling. You can debate him without speaking down to him.

Sure I can. I chose not to. Welcome to Something Awful. It can be combative.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's warranted in the case anyway.

Taear is being terrible.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's a bit unfair that whoever suggested playing the game always goes first, isn't it?

This may be controversial, but maybe don't play hour-long games that you don't enjoy? I mean, I get sitting in on 7 Wonders or Red7 even though you don't enjoy them, because they take very little time and if it makes someone happy, why not? But sitting through an unenjoyable two hour game seems like too much, and you'll probably drag the atmosphere down by being negative the whole time.

Sloober posted:

I like seeing what the first player decision is in the books for every game i play, but in my experience the first player will be the same one every time you play with the same group, since they usually involve relatively uncommon or unchanging things.

This is bad first player rule design. Good design is both thematic and changing. Small World: Underground actually fixes this from the original Small World, which is the only good change in that game. Instead of "pointiest ears", which is genetic and unchanging (unless your group LARPs I guess), Underground has "whoever was last underground", which is a pretty good changing rule.
Of course both of those are kind of subjective, especially what counts as underground, so they're not really that good. But neither is Small World, so...
We actually houseruled Hanabi from "last to ignite fireworks" to "last to strike a match" because we are cheapskates who only get drunk on New Years Eve.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

BonHair, it's another 'Jedit doesn't like Vlaada' joke.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

lordsummerisle posted:

Played Five Tribes for the second time yesterday. Found out we read the rules wrong the first time in regards to viziers. "10 points per player you have more viziers than", not "10 points if you have the most viziers". Suddenly they seemed much better, and almost broken. But I think it balances quite well, giving all players something to try to keep up with. Still enjoy the game a lot, though knowing what to do can be quite confusing/AP-inducing. I just love the feeling of picking up colored meeples and moving them around the board, dropping them off one at a time. Good times.

Whoa, are you sure about that? In the one game I played, I grabbed the djinn who makes viziers worth 3 points a piece instead of just 1. I then (obviously) grabbed more viziers than anyone else, but we scored the bonus as a straight +10. I came in third with scores something like 98, 95, 94, 88 (which impressed us as surprisingly balanced considering we were all first time players). If your reading is correct, I would have crushed that game just because I was fortunate enough to stumble on an overpowered mechanic.

Of course, there are counters to this tactic--other people grabbing up viziers first or everybody using assassins against mine--but that rule still seems unbalanced.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I just use a randomiser app on my phone where people choose a colour and it spins round :shrug:

If it's a game I'm teaching to new players I'll usually suggest a start player such that the new players get to see another player's turn happen first. I'll always ask first though ("Does anyone mind if I go first so the new players can see how a turn works?") and I've never had any problems with it.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

The End posted:

It does state this, just not in the specific combination of words to penetrate your skull. There is no legal path. For it to be a legal move there must be. Note the past tense indicating a preexisting state. How do you not understand this?

Look, it's entirely possible that Taear is a Time Lord, and so while the concept of performing sequential moves simultaneously is a physical impossibility for us, we must be open to the possibility that (and I really don't know why FFG didn't include rules to capture this) future or past elements of board game pieces could exist concurrently with the present ones. Furthermore, the non-linear time sequence isn't creating any paradoxes, because the capacity to perform the temporal manoeuvre is simply predicated on a future successful partial execution of it.

It's like you've never played Day of the Tentacle.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 15, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

CaptainRightful posted:

Whoa, are you sure about that? In the one game I played, I grabbed the djinn who makes viziers worth 3 points a piece instead of just 1. I then (obviously) grabbed more viziers than anyone else, but we scored the bonus as a straight +10. I came in third with scores something like 98, 95, 94, 88 (which impressed us as surprisingly balanced considering we were all first time players). If your reading is correct, I would have crushed that game just because I was fortunate enough to stumble on an overpowered mechanic.

Of course, there are counters to this tactic--other people grabbing up viziers first or everybody using assassins against mine--but that rule still seems unbalanced.

It's definitely 10 points for each player you have more yellows than. Note that this goes for all players, so unless the player on 88 was also the player with the second most Viziers you still wouldn't have won.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

CaptainRightful posted:

He's correct, it's +10 for each player who had fewer than you. So the player with an untied majority in a 4 player game will have +30, in addition to the face value of 1/ea. Next most player will have +20, then +10, and lastly no bonus.
It's worth teaching new players that of all the tribes, everyone should be collecting Viziers, in addition to whatever else your strategy might be.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

It seems unambiguous to me, but if it still doesn't to you, why don't you email FFG and ask for a ruling? They often respond. Arguing about an interpretation of the rules here is not really going to accomplish anything.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Re: Cheesy meta clues in Codenames, the rules explicitly say the clue must be about the MEANING of the codename. All these cheese clues are illegal.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Ubik_Lives posted:

Look, it's entirely possible that Taear is a Time Lord, and so while the concept of performing sequential moves simultaneously is a physical impossibility for us, we must be open to the possibility that (and I really don't know why FFG didn't include rule to capture this) future or past elements of board game pieces could exist concurrently with the present ones. Furthermore, the non-linear time sequence isn't creating any paradoxes, because the capacity to perform the temporal manoeuvre is simply predicated on a future successful partial execution of it.

Something I've learned from time spent on BoardGameGeek is that board gamers have an amazing ability to take identically worded rulebooks and yet come up with vastly different interpretations. Some that I remember include:

- Building the player deck in Pandemic and simply shuffling the Epidemics through the whole deck, then complaining the game is too easy (all the epidemics went to the bottom) or too hard (all the epidemics were at the top).
- Not randomising roles in Pandemic, choosing Medic and Scientist every time, and wondering why the game is too easy.
- In 7 Wonders, having each player choose their card and keep it face down in front of them, and then only actually playing the cards after the draft and wondering why the game feels "weird" and "without strategy".
- In Scoville, misinterpreting "$3 is worth 1VP at game end" for "players may at, at any point during the game, pay $3 for 1VP". When pointed out that it's wrong, go on some sort of rant about "double dipping".
- "Starting food" in Agricola is dealt out at the start of every round, not just the game start. Similarly, if you take Starting Player in one round then you must take it in the next round.
- Quantum, ships must be moved an exact number of spaces equal to their pips, no more, no less.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

BonHair, it's another 'Jedit doesn't like Vlaada' joke.

And my contractual obligation to this thread is fulfilled once more.

(I was thinking of Dungeon Petz, though.)

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

The rules do a really bad job of explaining it. If ever a scoring rule needed an example accompanying it in the rules, this is it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BonHair posted:

This may be controversial, but maybe don't play hour-long games that you don't enjoy? I mean, I get sitting in on 7 Wonders or Red7 even though you don't enjoy them, because they take very little time and if it makes someone happy, why not? But sitting through an unenjoyable two hour game seems like too much, and you'll probably drag the atmosphere down by being negative the whole time.

This is bad first player rule design. Good design is both thematic and changing. Small World: Underground actually fixes this from the original Small World, which is the only good change in that game. Instead of "pointiest ears", which is genetic and unchanging (unless your group LARPs I guess), Underground has "whoever was last underground", which is a pretty good changing rule.
Of course both of those are kind of subjective, especially what counts as underground, so they're not really that good. But neither is Small World, so...
We actually houseruled Hanabi from "last to ignite fireworks" to "last to strike a match" because we are cheapskates who only get drunk on New Years Eve.

I was talking to a friend of mine about first player rules and he mentioned small world underground's, which to me is moot since we play at my place or his and both of our play areas are in basements which both of us consider underground. Since my group is routine and the same people, even rules like Terra Mystica's flower bed rule will produce the same person every time (me). Others like even Forbidden Island's 'last on an island' doesn't change since we're in wisconsin and there's not a whole lot of islands around here to go to, so it's always from his stint in the navy. Argent's last to attend a uni class will again produce the same person.

That's sort of why I don't pay much attention to first player rules beyond looking at what dumb thing was picked, and will just random or volunteer it off each time. I still like seeing what it is for a given game, if for no reason other than seeing how obscure or difficult to fulfill/change it is.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So, the viticulture essential edition preorder period ends in about 12 hours, and I'm thinking about jumping on board, but I have some questions for people who've played it. What's the heaviness of the game, is it a gateway game or not, and does it feel like it fills a special niche?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

burger time posted:

So, the viticulture essential edition preorder period ends in about 12 hours, and I'm thinking about jumping on board, but I have some questions for people who've played it. What's the heaviness of the game, is it a gateway game or not, and does it feel like it fills a special niche?

Midweight, I would use it as a gateway after a person has played a simpler worker placement game like Stone Age.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Viticulture is great get Viticulture.

I would say it's medium weight? I think it's a little deceptive actually, there's not a ton of choices to make at any given moment but a lot of things take multiple rounds to complete so there's a lot of thinking ahead.

I'd say it's very much a gateway game. I think the theme is very accessible to non-gamers, and I think it's conveyed very well. And I think that conveyance makes it easier to learn because it fits into some pre-existing mental model that most people will have. I think it's also unique in how chill it is. Playing Caverna, there's always that moment of stress when someone takes the action you were going to take. Well Viticulture lets multiple people take the same action (depending on player count) and then also has the Grande Worker that lets you take an action no matter what, so even though there are still things you need to do it's just not as stressful. And it looks like the essential edition comes with the best of Tuscany so it's a really good game all around.

Everyone I've introduced it to (including my wife, who doesn't really like games) has loved it. Except for one guy who plays a ton of advanced games but for whatever reason could not get his head around making wine.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

burger time posted:

I guess I'd say medium weight. I used it as a total introduction to WP games for a few people and they have loved it. It is pretty easy to teach, the 'grande worker' is a great lil mechanism, but still has some depth to grow into. It does have some randomness that can screw you over in its card draw, but its not too bad. I love how the end game can cause a race (if someone reaches 20 the game ends after that year) or jockeying for position.

The essential edition seems to be an awesome streamlined version of the game. It fixes the billion different versions of Visitors, includes asymmetric starts (including a minor decision), and some of the other basic expansion modules. The streamlined expansion that is supposed to come out next year seems to include just the best parts of the expansion (board, special workers...) without some of the shittier ones.

If you feel like a nice, thematic, worker placement game that is easy to teach...then go for it. I can't play enough of it right now.

E: double beat. But, yes. Get Viticulture.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

burger time posted:

I've only played Viticulture once but loved it, enough that if I saw someone selling their copy I'd seriously consider getting it.

It's a really accessible theme and as such most people, even non-gamers, will grasp the basic mechanics of it. The game itself looks gorgeous, and as others have said it's got a good balance of needing to plan and think ahead without the outright stress of something like Agricola.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Not only that, but just adding the main elements of Tuscany (new board, structure cards, and special workers) that are coming in the new "lighter version" that they're planning on releasing after the essential edition of Viticulture turns the game from light-medium weight to medium-heavy weight.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone else having trouble with the Stonemaier site rejecting their CC for the Viticulture EE? Oh, why do I wait until the last minute for these things.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Merauder posted:

He's correct, it's +10 for each player who had fewer than you. So the player with an untied majority in a 4 player game will have +30, in addition to the face value of 1/ea. Next most player will have +20, then +10, and lastly no bonus.
It's worth teaching new players that of all the tribes, everyone should be collecting Viziers, in addition to whatever else your strategy might be.

OK, if it applies to all players, then our final score would still have been close. That's good. Of course, we probably screwed up other rules, too.

The variety of strategic options is interesting, but many of the djinn powers seem highly situational, particularly the ones that require additional resources and a separate turn to activate.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zveroboy posted:

- In 7 Wonders, having each player choose their card and keep it face down in front of them, and then only actually playing the cards after the draft and wondering why the game feels "weird" and "without strategy".

But that is how you play 7 Wonders unless I'm not understanding what you mean by "after the draft"?

1. Each player secretly picks a card and sets it face down.
2. They take the remaining cards and place them next to the person to their left/right, also face down.
3. All players perform their actions simultaneously.
4. After the action, take the stack of face down cards next to you and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think it's drafting all the cards before revealing.