Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

the Symbiotes are kinda lame, and his general badguys like the Shocker, Rhino, the dude in the stupid bird costume, are all pretty lame too

like Green Goblin and Doc Ock are alright but man Spiderman has had to fight some of the worst badguys ever

The original Carnage/Venom were actually pretty cool. They had a good dynamic where it was Spiderman as the pure good guy, Venom as the vigilante type hero and Carnage as a crazy batshit insane guy who just wanted to never stop murdering. Strangely enough Carnage was the only one who got really creative with his powers and ended up looking more like a human fused with an alien instead of a dude in a spandex suit (that was really an alien wooOoooOOOOoo). Miss the cool rear end knife and axe hand stuff they did with him.

And then they made a whole bunch of rip off symbiotes including one that was literally just Carnage with tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The original Carnage/Venom were actually pretty cool. They had a good dynamic where it was Spiderman as the pure good guy, Venom as the vigilante type hero and Carnage as a crazy batshit insane guy who just wanted to never stop murdering. Strangely enough Carnage was the only one who got really creative with his powers and ended up looking more like a human fused with an alien instead of a dude in a spandex suit (that was really an alien wooOoooOOOOoo). Miss the cool rear end knife and axe hand stuff they did with him.

And then they made a whole bunch of rip off symbiotes including one that was literally just Carnage with tits.

Maximum Carnage was peak '90s. Absolute peak.

Listen up, you fools
Don't you know that Carnage Rulez???

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
e: nevermind

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 15, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSunshine posted:

I hope that rather than typical shonen "group of bad guys who attack Konoha village this arc", Deku and the others will begin to accumulate their own personal rogues' galleries, just like if they were the heroes of their own Western superhero comic series. Deku has Stain, of course, but Tailguy and Froggy should get their own as well!

Gosh I wonder if there's a Batman in this world? It'd be really cool to just have a regular (or should I say irregular given how most people have powers now?) Joe go toe-to-toe with all the superpowered badguys!

Also, I hope that at some point they face some superhero genre staples, like invading alien beings, or some kind of cosmic entity like Galactus! :swoon:
I keep hoping they don't reveal the origin of quirks to be loving aliens or something stupid like that

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Maximum Carnage was peak '90s. Absolute peak.

Listen up, you fools
Don't you know that Carnage Rulez???

I had no loving clue that the intro song to Maximum Carnage actually had a vocals version. loving Rad!

The SNES version (not the genesis)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Clarste posted:

She has super eyesight, but she only ever used it to gauge the reaction of the audience. I think it's "non-combat" enough to count though. ...Aren't you the one who noted that that Irregular Joes would count too, given the setting?

Oh, what I meant was that someone with no superpowers at all would be the irregular one. I guess a subtle superpower like Inventor girl's would count yeah. Actually, more of her and her ilk would be good. There should be a guy in some kind of Iron Man suit! What if one of them went rogue and became a supervillain? Is that how this world gets its evil mad scientists?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Oh, what I meant was that someone with no superpowers at all would be the irregular one. I guess a subtle superpower like Inventor girl's would count yeah. Actually, more of her and her ilk would be good. There should be a guy in some kind of Iron Man suit! What if one of them went rogue and became a supervillain? Is that how this world gets its evil mad scientists?

I think Support Heroes need licenses to use their gear as well, so one using their tech without a license is already a villain, yeah. There's probably at least a few running around with out official support and whatnot.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
We may have our first look at All for One

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chinese Spoiler scans are out:
http://ishuhui.net/ReadComicBooks/2978

The poo poo/slapdash translation is that All For One and One For All come originally from a pair of brothers starting from when quirks first appeared. All For One guy apparently was a horrible Hitler-like piece of poo poo in his era. I guess it's implied that the good brother was quirkless and All For One somehow ended up giving him/creating One For All inside him?

One For All is basically one of the only quirks capable of facing All For One; All Might tells him this and all the other info but can't bear to tell him that he is in fact, dying, and will very likely not live long enough to be there for him whenever he inevitably really comes up against All For One.

Mineta gets busted peeping into the girl's locker room, and I guess they're going on another class-trip type thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Was gonna make this exact post

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, looking at that, I wonder if Shigaraki got his quirk from All For One or was otherwise "created" by him or something, possibly in a similar manner to how it's (apparently) implied that One For All was? Shigaraki's referred to his "father" once or twice, they both have creepy biomechanical aesthetics, and so on. It would also explain his strange, childlike mental state and seeming lack of knowledge and experience with a lot of outside things. Mostly just speculation on my part, but it references things from this chapter, so spoilered nonetheless.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://manga.famatg.com/read/my_hero_academia/en/0/59/page/5 chapter is up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Interesting stuff.... So what are the odds that older brother didn't know exactly what he was making when he gave little brother that quirk?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, Jiro's rather scarier than we thought. :stare:

Her ear-jacks can rip apart anything they're 'plugged into' from the inside out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Her ear-jacks can rip apart anything they're 'plugged into' from the inside out.

They can also just blast soundwaves. She has always been fairly impressive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They can also just blast soundwaves. She has always been fairly impressive.

Right, yeah, but there's a difference between merely having firepower and being Horrifying-Internal-Injuries-Administered-Via-Red-Hot-Ear-Tentacle Girl.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Look closely at All For One's face. There's another skullface type thing pushing through. :gonk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, yeah, but there's a difference between merely having firepower and being Horrifying-Internal-Injuries-Administered-Via-Red-Hot-Ear-Tentacle Girl.

Lots of the Class quicks can be very dangerous. Take Ashido for example. She can change how carrosive her acid is at will. But from last chapter alone we know that it can eat through steal and concrete in seconds when she wants it to. Imagine if that got on a person.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

"Ear-deafening blasts through my eyeeeeee" :gonk:

The over-arching plot, origin/relation between One for All and All for One seem suitably epic. This is all shaping up nicely.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

That is true, but getting past the visceral nature of that it's rather standard, basically another "damage/destruction" power. I guess it does qualify as "scarier" still, though.

Anyway, looking at this chapter I think that what I said earlier was at least partially accurate; Shigaraki's weird hands everywhere are definitely the result of All For One and/or the weird doctor taking care of him. No idea what purpose they serve (possibly something related to All For One and holding different powers, like some people suspected early on?), but I'm rather certain one or both of those two are behind them and they're there for a reason.

Also, is it just me, or is anyone else getting the feeling that we're shaping up for an eventual (and I mean far, far down the road, definitely not immediate) Shigaraki redemption/rebellion against All For One? The way he's been talked about in the past, plus how All For One's talking about him here, are making me feel that way; All For One is referring to him like he's some sort of born monster, destined to be the next evil kingpin, but that being true doesn't feel like it's in the theme of this series. All For One is almost certainly the "real" final villain of all this, and I'm definitely thinking that Shigaraki's eventually going to break down, betray him/get betrayed, go "no gently caress you dad!", or something along those lines sooner or later and, if not defect, at least stand by as AFO's taken down if not actively contributing to such.

Then again, I could be wrong, and he not only stays evil to the end but ends up being the even bigger villain after AFO finally falls. It's just a hunch I'm having presently.

Oh, and lastly, confirmation that One For All can't just be stolen or anything. I mean everyone should have known as much but some people were still unsure, so there we go. Curious if the other half of that will eventually come into play, but I highly doubt it; it'd involve de-powering Deku so it seems like a major endgame thing unless we get a very interesting twist somewhere down the line. Which admittedly I can't entirely rule out, so.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I was kind of hoping that Deku didn't actually have any quirk, just SHONEN SPIRIT, but that's looking less and less likely.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chaos rhames posted:

I was kind of hoping that Deku didn't actually have any quirk, just SHONEN SPIRIT, but that's looking less and less likely.

Why? The quirk that All for One's brother had just happened to be the ability to pass on a quirk as a way to explain how One for All has been getting passed on throughout the generations. He just wasn't aware of it since it's the sort of thing you wouldn't notice unless you already knew about it. In Deku's case, there's no real reason for him to have a quirk.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ytlaya posted:

Why? The quirk that All for One's brother had just happened to be the ability to pass on a quirk as a way to explain how One for All has been getting passed on throughout the generations. He just wasn't aware of it since it's the sort of thing you wouldn't notice unless you already knew about it. In Deku's case, there's no real reason for him to have a quirk.

I think the theory is that Deku likely also has a quirk that isn't immediately obvious, or is useless by itself but has synergy with One for All.

Good chapter, but I can't help but be sad about All Might's all-but-certain demise. You're too cool to die, man :(

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

How did he find out about it? Someone ingesting your blood/hair/sweat while you hope really hard they get your super powers from it seems like a strange place to arrive at unless you already knew it would work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caidin posted:

How did he find out about it? Someone ingesting your blood/hair/sweat while you hope really hard they get your super powers from it seems like a strange place to arrive at unless you already knew it would work.

His brother could give superpowers to people. That seems a decent reason to check just in case.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chaos rhames posted:

His 'quirk' is fused toe bones, so he technically has a quirk.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

His 'quirk' is fused toe bones, so he technically has a quirk.

You're way off the mark. He has two joints in his pinky toes (a vestigal trait) which indicates he is quirkless, because those with quirks have evolved past that level of humanity.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

His brother could give superpowers to people. That seems a decent reason to check just in case.

Yeah, people seem to forget this but similar quirks run in the family it seems. Hence, among other things, Endeavor's... "Project". AFO could take and give quirks to people, so his brother having a lesser version of that quirk is completely in-line with what we know. It's a useless quirk in and of itself, to be sure, but that's not really out of the ordinary either. There are plenty of weak/useless quirks, even before things like Deku's toes/quirklessness. They're called "quirks", after all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vengarr posted:

I think the theory is that Deku likely also has a quirk that isn't immediately obvious, or is useless by itself but has synergy with One for All.

Good chapter, but I can't help but be sad about All Might's all-but-certain demise. You're too cool to die, man :(

Better than the heartripping that was Maes Hughes. I still don't know what happens in FMA past that point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Better than the heartripping that was Maes Hughes. I still don't know what happens in FMA past that point.
cool stuff that is worth reading

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Had a friend who refused to read FMA cause he couldn't cope with what happened to Nina.

That said, I can't question his tastes since he introduced me to Katanagatari and Steins;Gate.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Endorph posted:

cool stuff that is worth reading

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

kidcoelacanth posted:

You're way off the mark. He has two joints in his pinky toes (a vestigal trait) which indicates he is quirkless, because those with quirks have evolved past that level of humanity.

He has an anti-quirk?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Had a friend who refused to read FMA cause he couldn't cope with what happened to Nina.
I can't cope with what happened to Nina, I still watched read it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope MHA is animated by Bones on their Fullmetal Brotherhood game (after they finished up the stuff covered by the original)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait for real, you stopped at that point?

It only gets better from there, that sucked sure but you should really, really continue

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

He has an anti-quirk?

No

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twiddy posted:

I can't cope with what happened to Nina, I still watched read it.

He just wasn't fond of terrible things happening to children. Made him feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He just wasn't fond of terrible things happening to children. Made him feel bad.

Your Halloween trick will be getting him to watch the first few episodes of Bokurano.