Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

sellouts posted:

Do not buy this game for eashl hitting.

It's the full game, with servers up, there's no "demo" about any of it. I don't understand your principle on the bone but it's probably best left for another thread. I'll say that it's pretty great so far on bone, no lag, no server weirdness, and quick matchmaking.

I know it's not technically a demo, but with a 10 hour limitation it sort of feels like it is what I was getting at.

The principle is stupid and it's because I'm mad at them for making a worse controller than the 360 controller, which was pretty much the best controller ever. It's a stupid principle. As it turned out, I like the PS4 controller better anyways, after loathing the PS3 one for hurting my hands after 10 minutes of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've never played a demo for 10 hours, hell I struggle to put 10 hours into a game in the 4 days or however long the ea access period is live.

To me the bone triggers are awesome, sticks are improved, and elite is going to be loving solid. Only problem I have is the shoulder buttons are kinda weak if you have to hold them down for long periods of time, thankfully NHL doesn't do that.

Ps4 controller is nice too, though. I hated the ps3 controller as well. I look forward to this game on PS4 as well.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea one of the main things that got me into consoles again and especially really playing shooters was the 360 controller, I never really liked the dual shock. The DS4 is great though Im excited to try some hockey with it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are they selling an NHL16 PS4 bundle this year? Theyve done it other years and since I need to get a PS4 for other games coming out this and next month anyway, figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Hockey.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2015/9/13/9318823/the-triple-low-five-is-back-in-nhl-16 :toot:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well I'm sold

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Are they selling an NHL16 PS4 bundle this year? Theyve done it other years and since I need to get a PS4 for other games coming out this and next month anyway, figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Hockey.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2015/9/13/9318823/the-triple-low-five-is-back-in-nhl-16 :toot:

gently caress the habs but that's awesome.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fingers McGee posted:

gently caress the habs but that's awesome.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Launch night! Will be streaming some EASHL with other PS4 digital bros in a few minutes at http://www.twitch.tv/tim_pe .

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Holy crap I'm nhl rusty.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Um... where is the couch co-op option? How do I get me and a friend playing on the same ps4 to play people online?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I asked my roommate to start the DL on this during MNF.

Response "Why is Rapist Kane the on the Launch Icon?"

EA leaves the old boxart up until you patch :negative:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
GOTY 2016:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Kinda disappointed there's no way to play Be a pro on an AHL team. weird omission.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 15, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Yessss my body is ready!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Fingers McGee posted:

Holy crap I'm nhl rusty.

No poo poo. I played all of 2 weeks of last years before I realized that all the modes I enjoyed weren't in it and I stopped playing it. Looking forward to getting it in the mail from Amazon today.

If it comes with codes for any HUT crap I'll post them in the thread because I don't give 2 shits about HUT.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Played a couple of games when it unlocked last night - the new on-ice coach thing is pretty cool, showing you the passing lanes, shooting targets, and who you're supposed to cover on defense. Way better than just the old blue arrow.

Controls definitely feel a bit "stiffer" than I remember, but if that means you have to actually worry about where you are on the ice and can't just glide all the way from the boards to the slot to break up passes, then it's fine. Hitting is definitely toned down, but I was still able to clobber a guy every now and then (even as a tiny little forward).

I only played for maybe an hour, but it's fun.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm going to spend $60 on this game just so I can play EASHL with goons

Just like every year from 09-12

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Is actually covering someone as center on defense easier? I always had trouble doing so, feeling that even if I was somehow able to be nuanced enough with the controls to not just burst away from them at some point, I still wouldn't be able to stop them from receiving a pass and shooting perfectly with me blanketing them.

I'm probably just bad at defense, but I guess I feel pretty pointless as a center back there as the stick lift button pretty much just guarantees a penalty and I don't know any other way of tying someone up in the game.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

shortspecialbus posted:

Is actually covering someone as center on defense easier? I always had trouble doing so, feeling that even if I was somehow able to be nuanced enough with the controls to not just burst away from them at some point, I still wouldn't be able to stop them from receiving a pass and shooting perfectly with me blanketing them.

Intercepting passes seems to be a lot more reliable if you are one of the builds which has stats geared towards it and you are also in the position to do so. Likewise, if the dude you are covering has the "wrong" build, he might just flub on a clean reception even if it does get through.

Skating to the corner and throwing a puck through two people to the slot is almost entirely gone now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I'm going to spend $450 on this game+console just so I can play EASHL with goons

:shepspends:

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

shortspecialbus posted:

If it comes with codes for any HUT crap I'll post them in the thread because I don't give 2 shits about HUT.

:getin:

Pleads posted:

Intercepting passes seems to be a lot more reliable if you are one of the builds which has stats geared towards it and you are also in the position to do so. Likewise, if the dude you are covering has the "wrong" build, he might just flub on a clean reception even if it does get through.

Skating to the corner and throwing a puck through two people to the slot is almost entirely gone now.

That's good. Hopefully it will apply to HUT too, because a ton of the Division 1 people would just skate in circles and protect the puck until the smallest lane would open up. One-timer, score, rinse, repeat. You'd be right there, you'd think you should've intercepted the pass, but nope.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Ign review got posted early but is now pulled out. They gave it 7.8 big con being online performance which I've been worried after playing the beta. EA devs have said that Eashl is on dedicated servers but if it hasn't gotten much better than in the beta then I don't see a point getting the game.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

How's the menu performance? Last year's PS4 menu performance was "sluggish" at best and "downright unusable" at worst.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
It's been like that dating back to like NHL 12 for PS3 so I doubt it's changed at all

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Is Be A GM any good or should I stick with EHM?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

shortspecialbus posted:

How's the menu performance? Last year's PS4 menu performance was "sluggish" at best and "downright unusable" at worst.

It is quicker. I know exactly what you mean - whatever direction you wanted to go in on the menu or when selecting something, there was always a small delay. But, it is noticeably speedier. One thing I've noticed, however, is sometimes when trying to select something (say, marking several cards in HUT), sometimes I have to really press the button or hold it down slightly. It's odd. But, I would definitely say it is improved overall.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 15, 2015

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Marklar posted:

It is quicker. I know exactly what you mean - whatever direction you wanted to go in on the menu or when selecting something, there was always a small delay. But, it is noticeably speedier. One thing I've noticed, however, is sometimes when trying to select something (say, marking several cards in HUT), sometimes I have to really press the button or hold it down slightly. It's odd. But, I would definitely say it is improved overall.

They should put real_scud on it. The Madden 16 menus are swell.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haven't bought one of these since 11, but am getting the itch. I already have a billionty games that I don't have time to play, what's another one?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Dandy Kaiser posted:

We call this the annual Friend Tax.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

10 minutes in an I'm already slightly annoyed. I'm creating my Be a Pro, my name name is not a PBP name option, they no longer have generic first names as options, and there's no way to shut it off. Is there any way to turn this off or do I just have to find some random name and live with it?

edit: that aside, BAP seems better. I'm enjoying it.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 15, 2015

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
Defense is so hard, can someone give me a slight idea about what you're supposed to do?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

CountingCrows posted:

Defense is so hard, can someone give me a slight idea about what you're supposed to do?

This is all very general advice to help you develop the proper instincts for the game (both hockey in general and the EA NHL games). Ignore it once you figure out what you're doing. YMMV.

Turn off auto back skate and learn when to use manual back skate vs stopping and turning.

Defensive zone (puck in your end): Stay low. Work to disrupt the other team's play and re-gain possession via stick lift, poke check, and positioning your player to cut off cross-crease passes. Check or at least run into dudes camping in front of the net. Try not to screen your goalie. Make a good first pass to drive the breakout. Don't get penalties for late hits.

Transitioning: Stay back so you can be in position to deal when your idiot teammates turn it over in the neutral zone. Don't let the other team's forwards be closer to your own net than you.

Offense: When the puck is deep in their zone (past the faceoff dots), work the points (just inside the offensive zone, i.e. just on the other side of the blue line). Take slappers if you have an open lane to the net, if not pass. When the puck is high, stay back to be ready to respond when your idiot teammates turn it over (there may be a theme here). When you're on the powerplay, be ready to go back and retrieve the other team's clearances.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

aunt jemima posted:

This is all very general advice to help you develop the proper instincts for the game (both hockey in general and the EA NHL games). Ignore it once you figure out what you're doing. YMMV.

Turn off auto back skate and learn when to use manual back skate vs stopping and turning.

Defensive zone (puck in your end): Stay low. Work to disrupt the other team's play and re-gain possession via stick lift, poke check, and positioning your player to cut off cross-crease passes. Check or at least run into dudes camping in front of the net. Try not to screen your goalie. Make a good first pass to drive the breakout. Don't get penalties for late hits.

Transitioning: Stay back so you can be in position to deal when your idiot teammates turn it over in the neutral zone. Don't let the other team's forwards be closer to your own net than you.

Offense: When the puck is deep in their zone (past the faceoff dots), work the points (just inside the offensive zone, i.e. just on the other side of the blue line). Take slappers if you have an open lane to the net, if not pass. When the puck is high, stay back to be ready to respond when your idiot teammates turn it over (there may be a theme here). When you're on the powerplay, be ready to go back and retrieve the other team's clearances.

I've played hockey for a long time so I mean I know how defense is supposed to work, I just can't figure out how to actually cover someone in the slot and/or tie them up without getting a penalty or just skating way past them. Is it basically just that I'm hamfisting the stick and I need to be way more careful with smaller movements on the analog stick? I've played NHL games every year since like NHL 93 or something before that, but I've never really been good at defense and just kinda rely on the CPU to not gently caress up too bad, which it spends most of its time doing.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

shortspecialbus posted:

I've played hockey for a long time so I mean I know how defense is supposed to work, I just can't figure out how to actually cover someone in the slot and/or tie them up without getting a penalty or just skating way past them. Is it basically just that I'm hamfisting the stick and I need to be way more careful with smaller movements on the analog stick? I've played NHL games every year since like NHL 93 or something before that, but I've never really been good at defense and just kinda rely on the CPU to not gently caress up too bad, which it spends most of its time doing.

Same.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Is it basically just that I'm hamfisting the stick and I need to be way more careful with smaller movements on the analog stick?
Without playing the game myself I'd say that is it exactly.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yeah, that is probably it.

Video from the RGR/#eashlgoons launch party last night is up. Thanks Twitch for having a broken highlighter and not actually trimming anything! I put jump links to the games in the description so you don't have to watch us gently caress around in the menus for 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdUuUndHtQ

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So uhhhh. Wonder if this update I'm downloading will change this.

e: yyyyyyyyyyep

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 15, 2015

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So uhhhh. Wonder if this update I'm downloading will change this.

At least you're downloading. My internet is giving me a big ol' gently caress You right now with its 25.7 kbps download speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ok i cannot for the life of me do the stride deke my coach keeps telling me to do. It says left stick and right stick to the right, but that does nothing. Tried with L1 too. How on earth do I do the stride deke? Video tutorials aren't helpful.

E: screwing around in a practice mode and maybe you need to let go of all the controls for a moment first. Will try that.

E2: yup. Gotta let go for a noticeable amount of time.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 16, 2015

• Locked thread