Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh yeah, this thread exists still. :v:

Finally picked up tiny wheels for my oversized dirt bike. Husky SM610. I think once I wear the current tires out I'll try to convert to tubeless.

Come to Mac track on Edit: Saturday.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirhc77
Jun 17, 2011
Thought id share my latest supermoto conversion, i had previously had a 09' 610sm and she started to show her age, and well falling apart, and the new KTM/Huskys just looked so dang pretty.

Its to bad their new FS 450's were not available when I was in the market for a new supermoto so i decided to take matters into my own hands.

Conversion went well enough only problems I ran into were having to cut the front fork guards and the rear chain guard a little due to the new tires rubbing on them

Sirhc77 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 17, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat that is pretty. I love those rims.

This makes me want a 701 even more; for some reason I really love the Husky Swedish color scheme.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

captainOrbital posted:

drat that is pretty. I love those rims.

This makes me want a 701 even more; for some reason I really love the Husky Swedish color scheme.

The 701 can't come soon enough!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

Come to Mac track on Edit: Saturday.

Gotta redo the rocker cover gasket, it's leaking pretty bad at high revs.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

My SMC should be being fixed today, new starter motor is being put in which should fix all the problem I've had with it. It's been a week since I last rode a bike and I'm going through severe withdrawal.

drat you capricious bike gods! Why did I manage to sell my SV the week before this happened?!

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I'm looking at buying this DR650, then chucking a street tire rear, braided front brake line and new disc/calipers. Would this be a horrible mistake?

For the FCR39MX you're all recommending, could I get away with picking up something like http://australia.vu-sur.com/fcr-39-mx-carb-fits-drz400-marino-marion-area and ask a local mechanic to clean & install/tune, or should I spring for the $600 Mikuni DR650 specific tuned kit from procycle?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
DRZ got new (used) e-model cams :toot:

Isolationist posted:

I'm looking at buying this DR650, then chucking a street tire rear, braided front brake line and new disc/calipers. Would this be a horrible mistake?

For the FCR39MX you're all recommending, could I get away with picking up something like http://australia.vu-sur.com/fcr-39-mx-carb-fits-drz400-marino-marion-area and ask a local mechanic to clean & install/tune, or should I spring for the $600 Mikuni DR650 specific tuned kit from procycle?

I don't know Australian bike prices at all, but $2800 isn't that bad (in Houston :v:) for that bike. Mileage is a little high, but it's a tractor motor so that won't matter if it's well taken care of. They make decent street SMs with a little money thrown at them, and like the DRZ they probably have a huge rear end aftermarket. That also means you can be dumb like me and impulse buy used parts because they're cheap.

e: It only having a front SM rim is a bit weird though. Is the stock rear a 17" like the new front?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 25, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My spouse paid 4k for his with 26 thousand miles (42K Km) on it. The market is a bit differently here though. His bike has a TM40 on it, Either that or the FCR really will wake the bike up.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Any of you DRZ bros have a Dowco cover? What size do you have? I currently have an XL that's falling apart, and it seems like the Adventure Touring size one might fit better

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Looks like guy goofed and gave me wheels to a rm of somesort. Hub is a lot narrower than the drz one, and uses 22mm bearings.

It looked good in mockup though. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I love that ridiculous headlight. What is it?:allears:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I love that ridiculous headlight. What is it?:allears:

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/hid/8in-race-light-hid
with a 7" led lightbar from amazon bolted on top.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

cursedshitbox posted:

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/hid/8in-race-light-hid
with a 7" led lightbar from amazon bolted on top.

Holy crap that looks amazing... scrolls down to the price :catstare:

Are you running a upgraded stator for that light and the light bar?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
haha no. the 200w one is more than enough. I've the hid model so its 42w.(Actually 35, fuckers).

I've heated grips too. I do however run a mosfet rectifier. No power issues with it yet, even idling in traffic.

I didn't pay 550 for mine either. I bought it off Clist last year for the klr, after it got crashed it was the first loving thing I removed from it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Deeters posted:

Any of you DRZ bros have a Dowco cover? What size do you have? I currently have an XL that's falling apart, and it seems like the Adventure Touring size one might fit better

I have a permanently borrowed large Dowco cover that I don't really use very much. It fits my DRZ pretty well when it's on the SM wheels but it's too short for the 21/18 set.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How are supermotos for highway/long distance riding?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Not great but pretty serviceable. If you have 6 gears and a fair amount of displacement it's really not that bad (Husky 610 or a KTM 690).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You'll definitely want nothing less than a KTM 690 SM/SMC. 6 gears and plenty of power. Very reasonable maintenance intervals. They're not the most comfortable but you can get new gel seats. Something like a KTM Duke is similar but would probably be better for commuting. I had a 2007 KTM 690 SM that had a much more relaxed comfortable riding position while still technically a supermoto.

I have no problems commuting mine on the highway but never for crazy extender periods. Why not just look into a Duke or dual sport?

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You'll definitely want nothing less than a KTM 690 SM/SMC. 6 gears and plenty of power. Very reasonable maintenance intervals. They're not the most comfortable but you can get new gel seats. Something like a KTM Duke is similar but would probably be better for commuting. I had a 2007 KTM 690 SM that had a much more relaxed comfortable riding position while still technically a supermoto.

I have no problems commuting mine on the highway but never for crazy extender periods. Why not just look into a Duke or dual sport?

I have a 2008 Duke 690 - the generation before the latest, awful, styling change - I find it surprisingly comfortable for shorter highway hauls. Not vibey at all at 60, upright seating is nice, ample power, etc.

Once I get a little bit sore, though, it starts getting seriously uncomfortable very quickly. It's really a bike you have want to be on; which probably doesn't suit it to longer highway drones.

I don't know what the newer ones with the sportsbike style, as opposed to sumo, seat are like. A lot better, I'm guessing.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Anybody know when/if the Husqy 701 is ever going to actually go on sale (in the US or anywhere else for that matter)? I swear if I lay eyes on one of those things in a showroom it will not be good on my wallet. I'll gladly be the SA guinea pig, though!

I actually called the closest Husqy dealer to me. Only 2.5 hours away... I'm in Houston TX.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Anybody know when/if the Husqy 701 is ever going to actually go on sale (in the US or anywhere else for that matter)? I swear if I lay eyes on one of those things in a showroom it will not be good on my wallet. I'll gladly be the SA guinea pig, though!

I actually called the closest Husqy dealer to me. Only 2.5 hours away... I'm in Houston TX.

This article (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/husqvarna-701-enduro-teaser/) specul8s that while yes, the 701 (SM and enduro, apparently) will be coming to the states, it will not be until the Spring.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Yeah, the dealer talked about the enduro which is the exact same bike fitted with knobbies and different wheels. He said he has no idea when they'll start actually coming in and I would be the first pre-order of the 701 SM.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Yeah, the dealer talked about the enduro which is the exact same bike fitted with knobbies and different wheels. He said he has no idea when they'll start actually coming in and I would be the first pre-order of the 701 SM.

If I didn't need to buy a new truck (right now) I'd probably be right there with you.

Probably at the same dealer.

Instead I'll just enjoy the new (used) cams in my DRZ.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is there anything specific to look for when buying a used drz400sm? Considering checking out this bike: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/5203657298.html

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

Is there anything specific to look for when buying a used drz400sm? Considering checking out this bike: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/5203657298.html

It should probably start immediately with the choke on, and ask when the last time was that the valves were checked.

Maybe look at the dipstick after riding it a bit.

E: To be more helpful, there isn't a whole lot of DRZ-specific things to look for.

That said, when you get it buy some speed bleeders, flush the brakes, maybe new pads, change the oil+filter, clean the oil screen, maybe check the valves (it's easy and they probably don't need adjustment), and have fun. Don't adjust the chain too tight.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 15, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Partial Octopus posted:

What do you consider long distance?

I used to commute 26 miles each way on my DRZ and it was fine, I also do 250 miles round trip sojourns to the mountains and it's ok if you put in some breaks here and there.

It's not anyone's definition of comfortable but the stories are largely exaggerated about how terrible the seat is.

Until you get used to it and loosen up more the vibes will make your hands feel like quarters in a jar

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Razzled posted:

I used to commute 26 miles each way on my DRZ and it was fine, I also do 250 miles round trip sojourns to the mountains and it's ok if you put in some breaks here and there.

It's not anyone's definition of comfortable but the stories are largely exaggerated about how terrible the seat is.

Until you get used to it and loosen up more the vibes will make your hands feel like quarters in a jar

When I asked that question I was mostly concerned about the motor not comfort. I just want to be able to drive on the highway for like 3 hours to get to a trail without the engine blowing up on me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Get a 690 enduro then.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I did 1500 miles in 2 days on a drz - if you maintain it properly and it hasn't been run low on oil (and you keep an eye on it if it's burning it, which it can do under sustained high rpm use), it's fine. I think mine took about 400ml a day in those situations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Yerok posted:

Get a 690 enduro then.

It's a bit out of my price range. Not trying to spend more than around 7k. I was also looking for used husqvarna 610's but apparently Pittsburgh has nothing but drzs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

Mayyyybe you're not the best judge of comfort.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I also found this. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Husqvarna-Sm-610-115626353 Looks clean. I'm not sure what the going price is on 610's though.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
I rode my stock Drz400SM (with stock sized tank :D) from Portland to SF Bay Area ( Laguna Seca) stopping only for gas and food. The seat is the limiting factor, really is more some kinda rear end torture device than for sitting/riding on, but with enough ibuprofen all things are possible.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

When I asked that question I was mostly concerned about the motor not comfort. I just want to be able to drive on the highway for like 3 hours to get to a trail without the engine blowing up on me.

My DRZ has 22kish miles on it with no issues. If you're doing longer trips at 80mph it's not a bad idea to check the oil when you get gas. That's about itn

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

XYLOPAGUS posted:

They updated the website by trickling some more info in, specs and a 360 view and stuff.

http://www.701supermoto.com/

I don't know how much of that stuff was known, but I was happy to discover that they will be using tubeless wheels.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

I did a trip around lake superior on mine, and even with the corbin seat it was torture. Serious case of monkey butt by the end. The vibration through the handlebars will also make your hand go numb eventually. It is most def not a touring bike. Its fine for going to work and back though.

On a DRZ400SM BTW.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just depends on which one because yeah a <2006 KTM will shake your nuts off but the 690 is smooth as well as the DRZ more or less if not at high speeds

Also unless you do your own work or have a lot of money take maintenance intervals into account for a commuter lol that's why KTMs and DRZs are so popular for the general public

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

I don't know how much of that stuff was known, but I was happy to discover that they will be using tubeless wheels.

Nice. Haven't seen the updated website yet. Tubeless wheels huge plus. I had to get a new tube in a pinch. Shop charged me 160 to install it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

That new husky looks amazing. I might just hold off for that. Any idea what the price is?

• Locked thread