Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .
I guess Joe Jamail really has a lot of pull if he was able to make this happen this quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Real Name Grover posted:

@BruceFeldmanCFB
Source tells @FoxSports "Not sure it'll go thru, but there will be a big push for Mack (Brown) to become the next AD at #Texas."

:vince:

I would die.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Mr. World posted:

I guess Joe Jamail really has a lot of pull if he was able to make this happen this quickly.

He easily has that much pull.

As far as a replacement AD, if Patterson's vice-AD already was handling the day-to-day operations then there's no reason not to name him interim AD and UT can take their sweet time. No need to even name one really until December while football is going on. If they do in November or so then it'd be a clear sign Charlie Strong is on his way out and all hands are needed on deck for another search.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hire Jon Gruden as AD.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He had a good OC. Like Watson was incredibly successful at Louisville.

I think the problem for Strong is exactly what I said would doom him when they hired him: he does not have the personality you need to be a coach at Texas. Texas needs basically a guy like Mack who likes to hang out with the boosters and talk tot he media. Strong just wants to coach football and be left alone.

Watson was incredibly successful at eating clock, keeping the defense off the field, not turning the ball over, and scoring enough points to win if the defense played lights-out. He did turn Teddy Bridgewater in to an awesome QB who could run that pro-style/West Coast offense. He gets credit for that. But that philosophy is not going to work in the Big 12. Look at Gary Patterson. There's another defensive-minded coach who had success in a lesser conference before finding himself in the Big 12. He tried to stick to his old ways and led the conference in defense for 2 years while losing a ton of games. Once he abandoned the idea of playing defense on both sides of the ball and started playing Texas-style offense, he suddenly had one of the better teams in the country. The best defense in the Big 12 will never be able to hold the best offenses down, no matter how much you dominate TOP. You must be able to put up a lot of points.

Jerrod Heard is the archetype for the QBs coming out of Texas these days. He will not ever be good at running the WCO. But he can throw quick passes and deep jump balls at WRs in single coverage or pull it down and take off running, and he can do that really, really well. That was our bread and butter back when Texas had an identity on offense and actually had success. That's basically what Vince and Colt were. Ever since Bama broke Mack's brain and we got away from that, it's been bad times. Based on one game against Rice and the scuttlebutt coming out of the program, it sounds like we're looking at getting back to that. If Strong will commit to allowing his offense to play offense instead of being mostly an appendage of the defense, he will do just fine once he gets another class or two in here. But he must decide whether he wants to be Gary Patterson or Will Muschamp.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 15, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
new Texas AD decides to turn the clock back 6 years to appease boosters, hires Muschamp as new head coach

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Watson was incredibly successful at eating clock, keeping the defense off the field, not turning the ball over, and scoring enough points to win if the defense played lights-out. He did turn Teddy Bridgewater in to an awesome QB who could run that pro-style/West Coast offense. He gets credit for that. But that philosophy is not going to work in the Big 12. Look at Gary Patterson. There's another defensive-minded coach who had success in a lesser conference before finding himself in the Big 12. He tried to stick to his old ways and led the conference in defense for 2 years while losing a ton of games. Once he abandoned the idea of playing defense on both sides of the ball and started playing Texas-style offense, he suddenly had one of the better teams in the country. The best defense in the Big 12 will never be able to hold the best offenses down, no matter how much you dominate TOP. You must be able to put up a lot of points.

Jerrod Heard is the archetype for the QBs coming out of Texas these days. He will not ever be good at running the WCO. But he can throw quick passes and deep jump balls at WRs in single coverage or pull it down and take off running, and he can do that really, really well. That was our bread and butter back when Texas had an identity on offense and actually had success. That's basically what Vince and Colt were. Ever since Bama broke Mack's brain and we got away from that, it's been bad times. Based on one game against Rice and the scuttlebutt coming out of the program, it sounds like we're looking at getting back to that. If Strong will commit to allowing his offense to play offense instead of being mostly an appendage of the defense, he will do just fine once he gets another class or two in here. But he must decide whether he wants to be Gary Patterson or Will Muschamp.

I am going to give you a spoiler: Charlie Strong won't survive more than more bad season, particularly with a new AD.

I also think your supposition about having to have a "high flying offense" is kind of silly and ignores the success that, you know, Kansas State has had for years and also that, like WVU's offense as ran by Dana "Air Raid" Holgo is basically a clock control offense now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Texas. Texas never changes.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If he comes back and you don't make the next GDT "Return Of The Mack" then I don't know what to tell you

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
So the actual next stage of Texas is they get pissed at the Strongs/Muschamps and hire an "offensive guru" as coach, right?

Lanehorns

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raku posted:

So the actual next stage of Texas is they get pissed at the Strongs/Muschamps and hire an "offensive guru" as coach, right?

Lanehorns

omg please

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am going to give you a spoiler: Charlie Strong won't survive more than more bad season, particularly with a new AD.

I also think your supposition about having to have a "high flying offense" is kind of silly and ignores the success that, you know, Kansas State has had for years and also that, like WVU's offense as ran by Dana "Air Raid" Holgo is basically a clock control offense now.

Kansas State and WVU don't have to pull most of their recruits from Texas

Raku posted:

Lanehorns

If it happened today I would be in favor of Morris or Herman with a badass DC

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Kansas State and WVU don't have to pull most of their recruits from Texas

lol what

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hire Jon Gruden as AD.

I have been tracking his plane and he totally is there right now and in the past he said it was his dream job

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Raku posted:

Lanehorns

NO HES OURS drat IT

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Hire Jon Gruden as AD.

I've heard it's his dream job

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Strong has said it himself. QBs and skill players from Texas came up playing wide open offense. Recruits here do not want to come play boring cro-magnon ball control offense or memorize 10-lb WCO playbooks when they could go shine at Baylor or TCU or A&M. He cited that as a reason for switching to an alleged uptempo spread offense this year, going so far as to call it a necessity for recruiting. Unfortunately he kept Watson on to install that offense, which worked out about as well as Mack Brown telling Greg Davis to give him Bama's offense.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 15, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hopefully Macks first act as ad is to bring his good friend Greg Davis home

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Strong has said it himself. QBs and skill players from Texas came up playing wide open offense. Recruits here do not want to come play boring cro-magnon ball control offense or memorize 10-lb WCO playbooks when they could go shine at Baylor or TCU or A&M. He cited that as a reason for switching to an alleged uptempo spread offense this year, going so far as to call it a necessity for recruiting. Unfortunately he kept Watson on to install that offense, which worked out about as well as Mack Brown telling Greg Davis to give him Bama's offense.

You do know that almost every QB that both KState and WVU have recruited came out of Texas? And that, you can have a run-first, ball control offense and still be spread/zone read? Like saying that you can't have a run-first offense because, Texas, is dumb as hell.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 15, 2015

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

If it happened today I would be in favor of Morris or Herman with a badass DC

Nah, A&M is going to take Herman like they do with all our fun toys.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You do know that almost every QB that both KState and WVU have recruited came out of Texas? And that, you can have a run-first, ball control offense and still be spread/zone read?

And how many recruiting battles for top Texas QBs are KState and WVU winning against A&M, Baylor, and TCU nowadays? And yes I am aware that Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris exist. What they do is very different from what Watson was doing at Louisville and what he tried to do here last year. I can't even tell what he was trying to do this year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

And how many recruiting battles for top Texas QBs are KState and WVU winning against A&M, Baylor, and TCU nowadays? And yes I am aware that Gus Malzahn and Chad Morris exist. What they do is very different from what Watson was doing at Louisville and what he tried to do here last year. I can't even tell what he was trying to do this year.

Worrying about who gets the most ***** recruits, versus worrying about getting the best guy to run a system says a lot about what's wrong with your thinking. Also still doesn't disprove the point that run-heavy, clock control offenses can and do work in the league, particularly with the amount of talent you can recruit to Texas.

I'd also generally say that Strong's is wrong about "pro-style" offenses being able to work in the Big XII, but that's really a seperate issue.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 15, 2015

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So was Patterson to Texas basically what Dave Brandon was to Michigan?

also this is phenomenal

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

So was Patterson to Texas basically what Dave Brandon was to Michigan?

Worse.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat :stare: I'd only heard bits and pieces of stories.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My favorite Patterson is an rear end in a top hat AD move was when he made assistant coaches buy meals in the team cafeteria or some bullshit like that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

vyst posted:

My favorite Patterson is an rear end in a top hat AD move was when he made assistant coaches buy meals in the team cafeteria or some bullshit like that.

Head coaches too, amazingly enough.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scarf posted:

Texas. Texas never changes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Emron posted:

If he comes back and you don't make the next GDT "Return Of The Mack" then I don't know what to tell you

Mother loving this.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

New HAS: http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2015/9/15/9325935/hatin-rear end-spurrier

quote:

Everett Golson is Jimbo's most advanced QB model yet. Bypasses that "good" part, and skips right to what they'll look like in the NFL.

:laffo:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
It's interesting that the "final straw" may well have been the story about UT charging the TTU band for seats, which means that a reporter on TTU's Rivals site wound up getting Patterson fired.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

:perfect:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kayakyakr posted:

It's interesting that the "final straw" may well have been the story about UT charging the TTU band for seats, which means that a reporter on TTU's Rivals site wound up getting Patterson fired.

The funniest thing about this is that charging bands for seats already happens all the time. It just didn't happen among the Texas-based Big 12 because of a gentleman's agreement they had. Patterson pretty much had nothing to do with that at all.

Supposedly the posters at ShaggyBevo ShaggyTEXAS pulled another plane with a banner stunt at the Rice game saying something about firing Patterson, like they did for Greg Davis several years ago.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 15, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

How can you be a "bad fit" at Texas? With all of that in-state talent I don't even see how it's possible not to succeed there but obviously it is more than possible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scrapez posted:

How can you be a "bad fit" at Texas? With all of that in-state talent I don't even see how it's possible not to succeed there but obviously it is more than possible.

It seems to happen an awful lot whenever they do not have an exceptional future hall of fame head coach like Mack Brown.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Strong will make a winner out of Texas if they give him time to recover from Mack's awful roster/recruiting management. Or they can hope for the quick fix and sink this ship even further. As though 1 coaching hire will magically fix the void of quality linemen on both sides of the ball.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm so glad this is back :allears:

quote:

Just because they're called Bowling Green doesn't mean you're supposed to see if they can get to 300, Maryland.

YEAH BG SHOUTOUT :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Was this week's Meltdown posted already? http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/9/15/9329285/nsfw-its-meltdown-time-week-2-sec-is-overrated-edition

• Locked thread