Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

idg the point here. if you want an outwardly physically superior phone you can't get new nice things. that is poo poo
the point is that no one really buys those smaller phones and so no one really makes them anymore so you just make do with whatever is available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

DaNzA posted:

i want to go ahead quote stymie and say that i agree

yeah apple can do better like making the small 4s sized phone with a9 SoC in it or an unbendable iphone and that idiot users need to be protected from themselves and there's no excuse for apple to make something bad just because other manufacturers made something worse

idk ifi this is difficult to remember, i ge tit was like waht 3 years aog now, but both the iphone 5 and 5s were slammemd byt the emdia for being easily bendable. turnsn out they werentn. also the 6 sint either. a 6 will nto bendn from jus tbeing in ur front pocket, anyonee who has bent their iphone ahhsbeen absudiong that handset.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

anyonee who has bent their iphone ahhsbeen absudiong that handset.
idiot users need others to protect them from themselves, it's probably one of the cost of doing business if you want to sell as many phones as possible

on a related note it's funny to see that people complain about how fragile the phone is but no one really do drop test on dSLR cameras or SLR lenses

imagine if they drop tested the canon 300mm 2.8II or 70-200 f2.8 II lens and come away surprised that the glass somehow shattered

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
the closest camera test was this, and like everything else the lcd broke first even though the rest of the electronics/mechanical parts kept on trucking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

DaNzA posted:

idiot users need others to protect them from themselves, it's probably one of the cost of doing business if you want to sell as many phones as possible

on a related note it's funny to see that people complain about how fragile the phone is but no one really do drop test on dSLR cameras or SLR lenses

imagine if they drop tested the canon 300mm 2.8II or 70-200 f2.8 II lens and come away surprised that the glass somehow shattered

eyveyr iphone sincne it has exisited has been a big loving slab of glass theat will break if u drop it. if ur in the businensns of beign a idiot an dbrekaing pheosn then stidkc to plastic android poo poo bxoes u can replace fo r$15 every 2 motnhs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
iphones are meant to be carried on your person like all the time, and should be durable to handle doing so

also whats this about small phone numbers droping off?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
iphoens 1 - 3gs; loalhtis phoens is too fragile!!! that front is a bgi piec eof loving glass and it breaks!
iphoen 4 - 4s: wow now glass on back? hahahaha ididotos TOO FRAGILE
ipheon 5 -5s: lol this phone bendsn wowoa nice job FRAGILE
iphone 6- 6s: uhh it sbigger... it bends???: yeah it bends ugh apple fraigile phoens...

echinopsis posted:

iphones are meant to be carried on your person like all the time, and should be durable to handle doing so

htye are as logn as u dont : dorpo it like a clumsy schild or b) sit on it all day along eveyrday.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
also wrt small phoen sales the iphone 6 is the best selling iphoen ever, selling 30% more than the 5s. the 2 nd bes tselling iphone is the 6+. shut up abaout small phones idiots go back to ur loving razrs or soemething u god drat cavemen.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

eyveyr iphone sincne it has exisited has been a big loving slab of glass theat will break if u drop it. if ur in the businensns of beign a idiot an dbrekaing pheosn then stidkc to plastic android poo poo bxoes u can replace fo r$15 every 2 motnhs.
yep, precision electronics with glass etc.

but you get people like this with this train of thoughts

echinopsis posted:

which is why the camera lens comparison is pretty apt since you also have to carry it 'on your person like all the time' through rough or even rougher terrains when you go out for a days shooting or something

but no one complains to leica/canon/nikon when they dropped and shattered their multi-thousand dollar lens

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
*dorps mug on gorund, it shattedrs immediuately *

*startes at starbucksk barisita*

this is unancceptable.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaNzA posted:

yep, precision electronics with glass etc.

but you get people like this with this train of thoughts
which is why the camera lens comparison is pretty apt since you also have to carry it 'on your person like all the time' through rough or even rougher terrains when you go out for a days shooting or something

but no one complains to leica/canon/nikon when they dropped and shattered their multi-thousand dollar lens

do the iphone lenses have any moving parts? also they are signifincalty smaller

once sagebrush made an excellent point that constantly driving toward a goal like getting thinner isnt necessarily a good thing in of itself. there will be a sweet spot for thickness and strength. is the iphone6 too thin? my sources are pointing towards maybe

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

echinopsis posted:

hwo did u missi the point so hguely.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

once sagebrush made an excellent point that constantly driving toward a goal like getting thinner isnt necessarily a good thing in of itself. there will be a sweet spot for thickness and strength. is the iphone6 too thin? my sources are pointing towards maybe
the 6/6s plus has the optical stabilization element in there which is probably really bad with shock, along with the precision aligned lenses

but we are mostly talking about the giant piece of glass in front of the phone's display, which is actually quite a bit larger and thinner compare to the glass elements in most $2000+ camera lenses

and yet people still dont really complain when they dropped and shattered their own camera lenses

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
int theentire hsitoory of glass exisiting, since 3500 BC, evyeryone who has ever encountenred ann object mad ef rom it hash known tha tif ithey dorp it it will breka. apparnetly once u stick it on a phone this v simple concept becomems impososible to comprehendn and it is expected thaht the entire devicei be mad eof some super alloy which is impervious to all damage.

perhapsp these people simply use plasltic sippy cups at homema stheyre clumsy fingners are too stupid to cope with using an ojhbject which cnant survive being thrown acrosos the room in a fit of childlrage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
reading the avalance of incredibly fail posting itt over the last page or so has completely depleted my posting talisman of power

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
im sorry smythe and i just hope you have a chill night man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaNzA posted:

and yet people still dont really complain when they dropped and shattered their own camera lenses

maybe they fuckin should!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there is no engineering solution to stupidity. Apple makes the best phone for people who aren't completely retarded. those that are will sit on their phone or drop it or put it in the microwave and then will suffer the consequences. trading off making the phone worse for normal people in order to protect the idiots from themselves is something only idiots want

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
nice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zen death robot posted:

Constantly finding engineering solutions to mitigate stupidity is a major part of the global economy doofus.

typically engineering solutions are a major part of the stupidity

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

reading the avalance of incredibly fail posting itt over the last page or so has completely depleted my posting talisman of power

are you pissed stux has the same gimmick as you

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stux is nowhere near as good at it then

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cocoa Crispies posted:

drunk good-posting vs. drunk apple-posting is a subtle yet important difference

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

drunk good-posting vs. drunk apple-posting is a subtle yet important difference

its drunk BBRY posting now RIP good

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ios9 comes out tomorrow, and apple news still doesn't update our publications articles correctly, and the non-rss apple news format still isn't available to people who aren't espn or the new york times

maybe it's fixed in the gm, but idk seems unlikely

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

apple news wasn't in the gm when i installed it but appeared this morning

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

my iphone 5 is almost in perfect condition as it dropped and the bottom corner cracked a bit but its barely on the screen, no bend

how the gently caress do you bend phones without sitting on em or purposely doin it haha

fewlz

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Vintersorg posted:

how the gently caress do you bend phones without sitting on em or purposely doin it haha

you know how people will walk into an intersection without paying attention

same thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

my iphone 5 is almost in perfect condition as it dropped and the bottom corner cracked a bit but its barely on the screen, no bend

fewlz

the iphone 6 is the one that bends with normal use.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Vintersorg posted:

my 5s w/ apple leather case has been dropped several times over the years, maybe only two or three major drops. the only imperfection i've noticed is that the top quarter of the glass seems to swell past the chamfered edge a bit (it can be pressed back in, but pops back out) but that could be unrelated to dropping entirely

hoping my wife doesn't notice because she uses a speck candyshell case anyway with a huge lip and also she's not a hardware sperg like i sometimes am

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaggar posted:

the iphone 6 is the one that bends with normal use.

there was a bent 5 on the last page too hehe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the iphone 5 was not as well built as the 4s, but it definitely would require significant force to bend unlike the iphone 6 which will bend with normal use.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the iphone 5 was not as well built as the 4s, but it definitely would require significant force to bend unlike the iphone 6 which will bend with normal use.
maybe the iphone 5(s) is just as bendable in theory but the sharp edges averted disaster by hurting the tender thighs/butts of phone-sitters before the damage was done

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I doubt it because the iphone 6 bends with normal use, not just being sat on.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
my Space Grey iPhone 5s 32gb has not bent

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

the 5 is way more durable than the 4 thanks to no glass on the back

source: I've dropped it a bunch and I haven't had to replace the back

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
shaggar is just going to keep repeating "bends with normal use". lol if you idiots think any amount of evidence is going to stop him from doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

he shouts it at every woman in bed, why would he stop now?

• Locked thread