Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Crashbee posted:

I don't understand how a game can be too long. If you're getting bored, just... stop playing it.

What else am I supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Crashbee posted:

I don't understand how a game can be too long. If you're getting bored, just... stop playing it.

Good news! I did! Back to Gamefly this disappointing game goes.
This could have been an amazing game, instead it was lack luster in regards to my taste. I'd love to see this team work on a game like System Shock though, the atmospheric tension was great. But after 10 chapters I could not stand the glitch in alien mechanics. Thankfully there's videos all over YouTube that showcase the same issues I had.

So, despite what people insist there ARE problems with the Alien mechanics.

Looking forward to SOMA though.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

oldpainless posted:

What else am I supposed to do?

Go ride a bicycle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rikimaru posted:

Go ride a bicycle.

Use that bicycle to play Ingress at 2:00 AM and trespass for portals to have the most immersive horror game experience.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kortel posted:

Looking forward to SOMA though.

If the Alien in Isolation disappointed you and Frictional has done their encounter design the same way they did it in Amnesia, I have some bad news for you.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I understand the complaint that Alien: Isolation dragged on for too long towards the end but I have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the Alien's AI.

git gud scrubs?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kortel posted:

I don't like Alien Isolation. The atmosphere is great but the teleporting alien is killing the game for me plus it's psychic ability to locate me. I'm also feeling like the game is waaay too long.

Haven't followed that too closely but isn't what people thought was teleporting actually there being several aliens without the game telling you until later?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Chev posted:

Haven't followed that too closely but isn't what people thought was teleporting actually there being several aliens without the game telling you until later?

No, the multiple aliens only happen much later in the narrative

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Personally, I didn't like Alien Isolation because it felt more like fanboy wankery to me. This resulted in a great looking game but aside from that, the constant barrage of "you need this to unlock that, but first you need that other thing to unlock another thing" gamisms clashed really hard with the so called "authentic Alien experience." And while the alien itself is well done, it gets old extremely quickly, replacing any horror/terror with frustration.
But you could tell the developers had watched the audio commentary for Alien *really* hard. :cheeky:

And... another thing is that Alien is so well known now. There's no mystery there anymore. That really hurt the game also.

I dunno, I didn't like it at all. Despite me being a pretty big alien fan.

Hard to tell yet if SOMA will succeed in what it does (don't think you can really compare it to Isolation either, while they seem similar at a glance, they seem to be aiming for pretty different things). I think Amnesia in particular just came at the "right time", especially when the sales blew up and you had the reaction video madness and other stupid things. It was a new experience to a lot of the gaming world (even though the Penumbra's were similar).
SOMA will be viewed with very different eyes and I don't think it will be as terrifying to many people as Amnesia was when it came out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honestly SOMA will probably be spookier to me than Amnesia was. Unpopular words here but while I liked it, Amnesia never blew me away like it did everyone else, something about it's particular brand of spooky ye olden castle just didn't do it for me. Meanwhile crazy System Shock space horror sounds good to me.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ekster posted:

I understand the complaint that Alien: Isolation dragged on for too long towards the end but I have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the Alien's AI.

git gud scrubs?

The problem with Alien Isolation's AI is most people tend to play games where you are facing an nigh unstoppable threat as carefully as possible, taking their time and waiting. Alien isolation punishes that without explicitly telling you, the AI hovering and returning if you stand still for too long isn't well explained from what I remember of the game .

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Stormgale posted:

The problem with Alien Isolation's AI is most people tend to play games where you are facing an nigh unstoppable threat as carefully as possible, taking their time and waiting. Alien isolation punishes that without explicitly telling you, the AI hovering and returning if you stand still for too long isn't well explained from what I remember of the game .

To some degree this is true of a lot of modern horror games, though. Hell, in Amnesia the game gets surprisingly easy just by running around like a coked up monkey. There's not too much wrong with programming horror AI assuming the player is playing like it's a horror game.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jsor posted:

To some degree this is true of a lot of modern horror games, though. Hell, in Amnesia the game gets surprisingly easy just by running around like a coked up monkey. There's not too much wrong with programming horror AI assuming the player is playing like it's a horror game.

Well the problem is the feedback mechanism, most people will see the Alien hovering around and getting closer and decide to double down on being Super slow and careful, which obviously makes it worse.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Did everyone not read the clichéd Spooky Video Game Graffiti telling you to KEEP MOVING?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does anyone have any clips of the Alien pooping? Haha just asking for a friend.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Guys I suck at this game real bad, does it mean it's a bad game?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yes

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Oh thank god, for a moment there I thought I might be a loving moron.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Stormgale posted:

Well the problem is the feedback mechanism, most people will see the Alien hovering around and getting closer and decide to double down on being Super slow and careful, which obviously makes it worse.

The xeno at least has a reason to disappear from the level.

Amnesia's husks just vanish -- or worse don't and keep that musical cue playing and your vision wobbly while they walk around the exact place you have to be. The game does a good job of making them scary/startling since you're not supposed to look at them and such, but when it screws up and you end up perfectly safe and the thing won't de-aggro or disappear, it becomes comical and frustrating at the same time. I still had fun overall with the game, but the Choir sucked and so did getting chased into a dead-end by a husk that saw me in another large area.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

psivamp posted:

The xeno at least has a reason to disappear from the level.

Amnesia's husks just vanish -- or worse don't and keep that musical cue playing and your vision wobbly while they walk around the exact place you have to be. The game does a good job of making them scary/startling since you're not supposed to look at them and such, but when it screws up and you end up perfectly safe and the thing won't de-aggro or disappear, it becomes comical and frustrating at the same time. I still had fun overall with the game, but the Choir sucked and so did getting chased into a dead-end by a husk that saw me in another large area.

Amnesia was extremely transparent. I broke the illusion because I could just tell from the layout of one of the levels that they were corralling me towards a triggered scare, and then after I hid from it, I followed the monster at a moderate distance. It pretty blatantly went into a dead end and despawned.

This isn't necessarily a weak point of the game since trying to make the game robust against players loving around and not RPing their character as scared would probably just make the game funnier. I really shouldn't have been following monsters around to see what happened, and it's not reasonable to expect the game to account for it, IMO. Regardless, it kinda shattered the illusion afterwards once I did that a few times and pinpointed how much the game relied on guiding you to an area, spawning a monster, and then making it go into a dead end and disappear.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So my friends and I are doing a second run through Until Dawn, except this is our Everybody Is an rear end in a top hat and Incompetent run. And let me tell you, except for adept it is at exposing the problems with the whole 'choose your narrative!!' gameplay, it is marvelous. We're only halfway through the plot but right now it's just so special watching everyone.

No plot spoilers below but eh just to be safe:

Mike is an incompetent fool who tries so hard to be heroic but can't go ten feet without running face first into something. Also he's a giant dick but that doesn't stop the ladies from lovin' him! Matt hates everyone who hates his girlfriend. Unless he's alone with his girlfriend in which case he hates her too. Emily's a bitch. This does not change. And Chris is just a guy who wants to get laid.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jsor posted:

Amnesia was extremely transparent. I broke the illusion because I could just tell from the layout of one of the levels that they were corralling me towards a triggered scare, and then after I hid from it, I followed the monster at a moderate distance. It pretty blatantly went into a dead end and despawned.

This isn't necessarily a weak point of the game since trying to make the game robust against players loving around and not RPing their character as scared would probably just make the game funnier. I really shouldn't have been following monsters around to see what happened, and it's not reasonable to expect the game to account for it, IMO. Regardless, it kinda shattered the illusion afterwards once I did that a few times and pinpointed how much the game relied on guiding you to an area, spawning a monster, and then making it go into a dead end and disappear.

Yeah, like you said there is only so much that you can expect out of it if you try to break the game. The thing about horror is that you have to make the choice to be invested in it and get immersed in the game or it won't really "work", so when you break it you kind of kill that sort of thing.

Similar thing happened to me when I died the first time, probably 3/4 of the way through, and realized that it only sets you back like six yards. It killed the tension somewhat knowing that, while you can die, it doesn't really mean anything.

Also why horror let's players are spastic fucks, they are doing it for views instead of the game so they don't get immersed in it

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Amnesia's biggest problem for me is how pathetic the monsters are. You can outrun them with relative ease, if you hide for like 5 minutes the monster eventfully despawns and if you die it sometimes gets rid of the monster. They also have pretty basic partol routes.

Luckily the game made up for it in atmosphere and sound design because jesus those monsters sucked at being competent bad guys. Scary looking bastards though for sure.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 14, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BillBear posted:

Amnesia's biggest problem for me is how pathetic the monsters are. You can outrun them with relative ease, if you hide for like 5 minutes the monster eventfully despawns and if you die it sometimes gets rid of the monster. They also have pretty basic partol routes.

Luckily the game made up for it in atmosphere and sound design because jesus those monsters sucked at being competent bad guys. Scary looking bastards though for sure.

The thing is, Horror games are usually built to be as easy as possible. Horror relies intensely on atmosphere, and dying and going through a loading screen cripples that. So what do you do? You make it so the monsters seem threatening without actually being a threat. Some players always see through that illusion, and Amnesia probably could have upped the threat a little more, but in horror games you usually need the monster to be ineffectual. Stalkers that aren't really killers.

The one way you can kind of get away with it is if you work death into the narrative like Souls-likes do (each Souls game being varying degrees of horror games at different points). Granted Bloodborne's 4 hour loading screens still don't exactly help its atmosphere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The absolute worst thing for a horror game to do is to make you analyze the meta in order to get through an area. Do that and every bit of tension goes out the window

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Morpheus posted:

So my friends and I are doing a second run through Until Dawn, except this is our Everybody Is an rear end in a top hat and Incompetent run. And let me tell you, except for adept it is at exposing the problems with the whole 'choose your narrative!!' gameplay, it is marvelous. We're only halfway through the plot but right now it's just so special watching everyone.

No plot spoilers below but eh just to be safe:

Mike is an incompetent fool who tries so hard to be heroic but can't go ten feet without running face first into something. Also he's a giant dick but that doesn't stop the ladies from lovin' him! Matt hates everyone who hates his girlfriend. Unless he's alone with his girlfriend in which case he hates her too. Emily's a bitch. This does not change. And Chris is just a guy who wants to get laid.

I did my first runthrough of Until Dawn all in one sitting, which I don't think I've ever done with any game the first time I played. I'm eager to try out some new strategies and play through all over again. I really want to see what happens when I take every opportunity to steer every character towards certain death.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mangler103 posted:

I did my first runthrough of Until Dawn all in one sitting, which I don't think I've ever done with any game the first time I played. I'm eager to try out some new strategies and play through all over again. I really want to see what happens when I take every opportunity to steer every character towards certain death.

The scene where Mike has to chase Jessica is just wonderful to behold. There are literally four or five QTEs in a row involving ducking under logs or jumping small ledges and he just runs, full-tilt, into every single one of them, and just gets laid out every time. And he just keeps going. He's so precious :allears:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Chev posted:

Yeah but that doesn't occur mechanically until after the plot introduces the concept.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

I saw it mentioned a few times that some relationships can be affected by your actions, to the point where people will (Until Dawn spoilers maybe??) actively sabotage each other and poo poo like that. What's the story there? I guess I didn't mess up bad enough to see anything like that in my playthrough, but it sounds hilarious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cloche posted:

I saw it mentioned a few times that some relationships can be affected by your actions, to the point where people will (Until Dawn spoilers maybe??) actively sabotage each other and poo poo like that. What's the story there? I guess I didn't mess up bad enough to see anything like that in my playthrough, but it sounds hilarious.

It's only with Chris and the girl he likes, forgot her name. She'll let Matt die if he "sacrifices" her. And of course Mike doesn't hesitate to draw a gun on Emily.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

al-azad posted:

It's only with Chris and the girl he likes, forgot her name. She'll let Matt die if he "sacrifices" her. And of course Mike doesn't hesitate to draw a gun on Emily.

I'm pretty sure it plays into a couple of conversations, and into how much Jessica is actually into Mike. It does seem like a mostly vestigial mechanic, though, like it was much more of a factor in an earlier version.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wanderer posted:

I'm pretty sure it plays into a couple of conversations, and into how much Jessica is actually into Mike. It does seem like a mostly vestigial mechanic, though, like it was much more of a factor in an earlier version.

I think Chris choosing to kill Ashley is the only thing that can result in another character actually being responsible for another character's death. The rest of the rear end in a top hat options just cause changes in how the characters act toward each other.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ekster posted:

git gud scrubs?

i play far harder games than alien isolation with no issues.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

al-azad posted:

In my game, I had Ashley tell Emily the truth about her not turning into a wendigo from her bite and as a result Emily shoved Ashley out of the way as they were all running into the house at the end. The Butterfly Effect journal made a note about how Emily put Ashley "in danger" but it didn't have any actual effect on the plot or ensuing cutscenes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The absolute worst thing for a horror game to do is to make you analyze the meta in order to get through an area. Do that and every bit of tension goes out the window

This happened to me about halfway through Outlast. I still enjoyed the game but it quickly stopped being scary and instead became a kinda robotic hide n' seek simulator. The game needed more mechanics than it had.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So, did anyone take a plunge into Albino Lullaby to see if it delivers on its goal of wanting to make a horror game without any gore?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

What really kills a lot of tension with Amnesia is putting together the music queues. As soon as the specific music kicks in, one of the monsters is around and getting ready to eat you. If you find a dark corner, hide, and wait for the music to stop, the coast will be clear. If you could turn off the music (I don't remember if that's an option) it would really make it more tense.

The game is great though. It's like a good haunted house, if you let yourself get pulled in and don't poke around looking for all the mechanisms, it's still one of the greatest horror games so far.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
I know MGSV has been brought up a few times but I just wanted to say I finished the mission Hellbound last night and the Sahelanthropus fight is terrifying, and the tension they build with musical cues and such is really great.

I tried to cheese it by hiding in a guard tower; Sahelanthropus peeked into the guard tower and then stepped through it (in a game that until now hasn't had any terrain destruction). I just about poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

I know MGSV has been brought up a few times but I just wanted to say I finished the mission Hellbound last night and the Sahelanthropus fight is terrifying, and the tension they build with musical cues and such is really great.

I tried to cheese it by hiding in a guard tower; Sahelanthropus peeked into the guard tower and then stepped through it (in a game that until now hasn't had any terrain destruction). I just about poo poo.

That mission was loving terrifying, I was hiding behind a rock, and Sahelanthropus knew I was around, drat thing rears back and straight up destroys the rock I was behind.

I once had a friend ask me why they made Metal Gears roar, Sahelanthropus is the best example of it being really good psychological warfare. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yep. I've been watching all of the other MGS games leading up to V and the Geckos in 4 are still terrifying. Making something sound like a cow shouldn't make it scarier but welp.