Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Leelee posted:

I am very lucky and am going to Disneyland in October (with tickets for the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party) and Disneyworld in March.

Question: we are staying at the Boardwalk Inn, and it says a "quick walk" to Epcot. My dad has a bad back- is it a quick walk?

A quick look at the map shows about a 1/2 mile from the Boardwalk lobby to the back entrance to Epcot near England and France. Versus 300 feet from the lobby to the boats then about the same from the boat to the turnstiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Walking is faster, boating is easier. The walk is nothing for someone who plans on going around a theme park all day, but you always have the option of the boat when you're just too exhausted to walk back to your room.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Okay thanks! My dad is usually pretty good for most of the day, but then the standing/walking starts to take a toll. Sounds like we can walk there, maybe take the boat home.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Leelee posted:

Okay thanks! My dad is usually pretty good for most of the day, but then the standing/walking starts to take a toll. Sounds like we can walk there, maybe take the boat home.

I've been there with a bad back and strangely enough it is the standing in line which hurts the most. Best of luck with your dad.

On a related note I landed the Boardwalk for my next work trip on the 21st. :toot: I heard the beautiful words, "we are under budget for travel" so I'll be back down a few more times through the end of the year. What's the word on a goon meet, I work all day so it is not like I can meet in the parks during the day but can do dinner or whatever at night.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I'll never order from the Disney website again. This is what I get for not driving to the park and picking it up but I was going out of town the next morning and short on time.

When I opened the box it had tissue paper covering this mess. This is exactly what it looked like.

It wasn't in the plastic, the outer packaging was stuck to that bunch of papers you see.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it was MouseWorldRadio thanks dudes.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

We just got our hotel for the week/weekend of Halloween for our anniversary. We're staying at one of the Epcot resorts so we can take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours (all of the non $400-$500/night Disney resorts were booked). I've been to Disney once when I was 12-13, and my boyfriend worked there for a summer about a decade ago, but neither of us have been since and I have a ton of questions. What are some tips for surviving day-to-day? Can you bring snacks/drinks with you into the park? Can you wear a backpack on the rides? What are some handy items to have on you for a day in the park? Is the Dining Pass program worth it?

The OP looks like it has a great list of things to do, so I think we'll be covered there, and I'm still trying to work my way through the rest of the thread. We'll be staying for four days, which should be enough time for everything, right? :ohdear: Hopefully I'm not rehashing a bunch of annoying common questions, but 100+ pages is a bit to slog through quickly. :shobon:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Skutter posted:

What are some tips for surviving day-to-day? Can you bring snacks/drinks with you into the park? Can you wear a backpack on the rides? What are some handy items to have on you for a day in the park? Is the Dining Pass program worth it?

The OP looks like it has a great list of things to do, so I think we'll be covered there, and I'm still trying to work my way through the rest of the thread. We'll be staying for four days, which should be enough time for everything, right? :ohdear: Hopefully I'm not rehashing a bunch of annoying common questions, but 100+ pages is a bit to slog through quickly. :shobon:

You can bring any snacks and drinks you want, as long as they're not alcohol or in a glass bottle I believe. I would recommend bringing a water bottle with a built in filter, as the Florida tap water in the fountains tastes like butt. Also, bring cheapo 99 cent ponchos for the random monsoons we get, or at least small packable umbrellas. Tylenol and Dramamine are key if you're prone to headaches or motion sickness. The dining pass is worth it if you are planning on being in the parks from open to close and eating 2 meals a day. We really like the plan that gives 1 quick service and 1 table service per day. 4 days is just right if you do a full day in each park, and plenty if you have park hoppers. Feel free to ask anything else that pops in your mind.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Bottom Liner posted:

You can bring any snacks and drinks you want, as long as they're not alcohol or in a glass bottle I believe. I would recommend bringing a water bottle with a built in filter, as the Florida tap water in the fountains tastes like butt. Also, bring cheapo 99 cent ponchos for the random monsoons we get, or at least small packable umbrellas. Tylenol and Dramamine are key if you're prone to headaches or motion sickness. The dining pass is worth it if you are planning on being in the parks from open to close and eating 2 meals a day. We really like the plan that gives 1 quick service and 1 table service per day. 4 days is just right if you do a full day in each park, and plenty if you have park hoppers. Feel free to ask anything else that pops in your mind.

Thanks for the information! I would have completely forgotten about ponchos, even though we live in Florida now. I saw something about the Tables in Wonderland thing for Florida residents mentioned earlier in the thread; does anyone know if that's still available? That might be a bit better--especially since you get 20% off of alcohol!--than the Dining Plans. I also just saw the Party for the Senses mentioned earlier as well. I think I know what we're doing for Halloween...

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tables in Wonderland is pretty great. It's available to Florida residents, DVC members, and AP'ers. It's $100 but you get discounts on all kinds of stuff, like food, merchandise, even free valet parking. Just be sure to keep track of your membership card. They charge you $50 to replace it. Also it can't be used with a dining plan, however, you can get the discount for up to 10 guests as long as the TiW member pays the check.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I hit up Hollywood Studios for the first time in a few months. Indiana Jones has gotten some mild script changes and the choreography is tightened up (though the Indy actor hurt his back early on and had to take it slow for the rest of the day). Great Movie Ride changes are almost entirely replacing the canned narration with Robert Osborne (with the driver having fewer lines) and almost completely redoing the ending video, with a few of the original clips remaining but mostly new stuff and all rearranged. Still difficult to find tour guides and Mugsys on that ride who actually ham it up awesomely like they're supposed to.

Also saw the Frozen Sing-Along for the first time in ever. It's pretty much entirely for kids and huge fans of Frozen, but I know who did the script and I can tell where his style for self-deprecation comes in.

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian is still a good dinner spot but reservations are entirely necessary even when it doesn't look busy.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
We ate at Maya Grill at Coronado Springs last night. It was okay - service was slow but friendly, and the food was good (though I've had equally good fajitas from my local Mexican restaurant for half the price - welcome to Disney!).

We're moving over to Boardwalk Inn today to start our "real" vacation. Excitement!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yay! Have a great time!

WhiteHowler posted:

We ate at Maya Grill at Coronado Springs last night. It was okay - service was slow but friendly, and the food was good (though I've had equally good fajitas from my local Mexican restaurant for half the price - welcome to Disney!).

We're moving over to Boardwalk Inn today to start our "real" vacation. Excitement!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had dinner last night at the Boat House at Disney springs. Rain had finally stopped and we got to eat outside and watch the fireworks. Food was awesome and will definitely be going back.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

Yay! Have a great time!
Wow, we got a free upgrade to the concierge club level!

Hello, watching Illuminations from the lounge!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

I'll never order from the Disney website again. This is what I get for not driving to the park and picking it up but I was going out of town the next morning and short on time.

When I opened the box it had tissue paper covering this mess. This is exactly what it looked like.

It wasn't in the plastic, the outer packaging was stuck to that bunch of papers you see.

Wow. That's pretty bad. My wife's last two orders from the site were messed up along similar lines. They need to get it together on fulfilling/packing orders.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow, we got a free upgrade to the concierge club level!

Hello, watching Illuminations from the lounge!

You're welcome! ;)

I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't. Enjoy your upgrade! I'd love to hear what the club level lounge offerings are for food.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

We will probably drink and hang by the pools and such. Perhaps Downtown Disney. I forgot about all of those things.

Silly side question, I heard about a streaming online radio station that plays like park music and ads and such and everything is time synched to whats actually happening in the parks right now. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I can't find it anymore.

I know it was MWR but there's also Subsonic Radio.

It's not synced to the parks but it's more Disney music.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just had my first-ever Dole Whip while waiting for our Ohana reservations.

Wow. I want another one. Right now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Get one with rum in it. Sooooo good.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

Get one with rum in it. Sooooo good.
I don't drink much at all, but, uh... Just for science... Where would one get such a thing?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't drink much at all, but, uh... Just for science... Where would one get such a thing?

I think they're at Tamu Tamu Refreshments at Animal Kingdom.

Can you get them at the Tiki Terrace at the Polynesian? The Spikey Pineapple drink there is basically Dole Whip blended with rum served in a glass.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 15, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I know the World Showcase has it...but as far as the Poly goes I too, want to know where I can get one.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Umm, bring your own rum mini's?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The spikey pineapple served on the terrace outside of trader same is how a rum dole whip should work. The one at DAK they just pour the rum on top it's not as good.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I've only had the one with booze poured on top, but now I want a spikey pineapple.

Animal Kingdom has them all the time, World Showcase only has them either during Food & Wine or Flower & Garden. I didn't see them on the menu for F&W this year.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How bad is Rock N Roller Coaster with strobe lights and such?

Trying to see what rides I should avoid 100%, so far i've got...Dinosaur, Space Mountain perhaps Tower of Terror.

Girl is lucky I love her :mad:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Question about DME timing:

I arrive at MCO at 11:23am. Will I be able to make it to EPCOT for my dive time at 4:30? I assume so.

Also if my flight out is at 11:15am, how early does the DME leave from my resort? 8:15?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Trying to see what rides I should avoid 100%, so far i've got...Dinosaur, Space Mountain perhaps Tower of Terror.

Would she mind letting you ride them solo when the lines are short (or the single rider lines for the attractions that have them)? They're all fantastic and you should ride them!

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Have crowds at Disneyland become year round like they have at World? Thinking of doing a trip next year and of course would like to avoid them if at all possible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

Strobes I think were mostly at the very beginning during the coaster launch (which has a countdown so you can close your eyes for it), as this is where the snapshot is. I think the rest of the track just has regular lighting for the environment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also, you can look up PoV ride videos of them all on YouTube to judge them for yourself, that will give you a much better idea of the intensity of the lighting.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Question about DME timing:

I arrive at MCO at 11:23am. Will I be able to make it to EPCOT for my dive time at 4:30? I assume so.

Also if my flight out is at 11:15am, how early does the DME leave from my resort? 8:15?

I think you should have time to make your dive. It takes about an hour and a half to get from your gate to your resort if everything's running smoothly.

DME pickup on departure is usually about 3 hours before your flight leaves. You'll get a notice the night before in your room. If you don't, call down to the front desk and let them know. That's happened to me before.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Braksgirl posted:

I think you should have time to make your dive. It takes about an hour and a half to get from your gate to your resort if everything's running smoothly.

DME pickup on departure is usually about 3 hours before your flight leaves. You'll get a notice the night before in your room. If you don't, call down to the front desk and let them know. That's happened to me before.

Awesome.

How do I add the flight to my reservation so they know Im coming and send me tags and all that good stuff? Do i do that myself online? I can't seem to find it

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BlueBayou posted:

Awesome.

How do I add the flight to my reservation so they know Im coming and send me tags and all that good stuff? Do i do that myself online? I can't seem to find it

I made my DME reservations online earlier this year but the link I used doesn't seem to be working anymore.

You'll probably have to call.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Awesome.

Email me your flight info and I'll take care of it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Also, I've had some folks want to get in a last visit to the Osborne lights. There are some discounts still available that expire on Friday. Just FYI.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Mickey's Halloween Party completely hosed the crowds at the other parks today.

Rather than getting emptier towards closing time, Hollywood Studios and Epcot got absolutely packed in the late afternoon and kept getting worse.

On the upside, I got to check out Watto's Grotto today. It's pretty neat. I took a couple of photos, but can't easily share them until I get home.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm currently looking at hitting Not-So-Scary on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I found out that a family friend is headed to Disneyland this week and I. AM. SO. JEALOUS. :argh:

But on the other hand she's a sweetheart and I also hope she has the best possible time :3: