Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

PirateBob posted:

Meaning...? The distance at which you spot enemy ships?

See the cone-of-sight in the mini-map? You're able to actually see detected ships whose icons are inside the cone. The skill just makes that cone extend a bit further, but does nothing to improve the actual ability to detect ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Tank Boy Ken posted:

:911: DDs just became really sexy:

:getin:
?
Is this with AFT? Note that you'll be able to shoot people and stay concealed at the edges of your range, assuming theres no planes or hostiles hanging out where you can't see them.
Its nice to have... but you're missing out on that Last Stand skill, which makes your knife fights with hostile DDs much more survivable.

Aesis posted:

Sims has to be the worst DD for its tier. It should be Tier 5 not Tier 7 ffs.

e: I'm seriously considering selling Sims because I'm fed up with non-stop turret/engine crit. Can't even 1v1 another DD because they just knock my engine out ll the loving time. Got nice turrets though :(

The Sims is not the worst ship for its tier. The Farragut takes that by a storm, and the Mahan is about as good as the Sims. The Sims has better torpedo options than the Mahan too, which is nice.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I was doing so well and then got kicked.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I just noticed something strange: why does the North Carolina secondaries have a range of 4.5km? The Colorado has 5km, and the Iowa has 5km. It seems so odd that I'm thinking it's maybe a bug.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
tbh what I hate about Sims play is that you either sit 11.5+ km off and pea shoot (and hopefully hit for 350 damage per shot or set target on fire) or try to make use of 5.5 km torp by sneaking around island (which involves dumb enemy). 9.2 km torp sounds nice but it travels slow that only dumb battleships get hit.

But pea shooting does little damage (0~350 per shot) which means it's a lot of effort trying to stay between 11.5 km and 12.5 km (longer if you have skill) constantly looking at minimap and immediately turning around when spotted. And most of the times you won't get much xp because even with 150+ hits you do so little damage.

Another solution would be to make it Tier 8 so I can use Concealment module, or buff its concealment a bit. Currently getting detected at 7.3 km and it sucks. :colbert:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 15, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

El Disco posted:

I just noticed something strange: why does the North Carolina secondaries have a range of 4.5km? The Colorado has 5km, and the Iowa has 5km. It seems so odd that I'm thinking it's maybe a bug.

Same happens on Amagi - Nagato has 5 km, Amagi has 4.5 km, Izumo and Yamato have 7 km.
I'm sure secondary range is arbitrary, but it's hard to believe that losing half a kilometer is a meaningful balance parameter.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

James Garfield posted:

Same happens on Amagi - Nagato has 5 km, Amagi has 4.5 km, Izumo and Yamato have 7 km.
I'm sure secondary range is arbitrary, but it's hard to believe that losing half a kilometer is a meaningful balance parameter.

For the Amagi I think it's because Battlecruisers will have less range than BBs - it also seems to have less main gun range.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I forgot this game was in open beta. I'm as far up the USA tree as the St. Louis. This thing sure has a lot of guns, too bad you'll get obliterated by torpedoes if you ever actually bring them to bear because your ship is about as long as a continent and accelerates as well as one.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Luigi Thirty posted:

I forgot this game was in open beta. I'm as far up the USA tree as the St. Louis. This thing sure has a lot of guns, too bad you'll get obliterated by torpedoes if you ever actually bring them to bear because your ship is about as long as a continent and accelerates as well as one.

Point your ship at DDs and IJN cruisers that look like they are making a torpedo run on you. After a while it's not difficult to figure out when someone's launching torps.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Any DD that get's anywhere near you to launch torps should be stuggling to aim due to the rain of HE shells dropping on his head. :supaburn:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

mik posted:

See the cone-of-sight in the mini-map? You're able to actually see detected ships whose icons are inside the cone. The skill just makes that cone extend a bit further, but does nothing to improve the actual ability to detect ships.

So it'd be like expanding the view range box in WOT. What's the point of that in WOWS with limited range guns? I thought you could always see ships within the range of your guns if they were spotted by you or someone else on your team. :raise:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Aesis posted:

Sims has to be the worst DD for its tier. It should be Tier 5 not Tier 7 ffs.

e: I'm seriously considering selling Sims because I'm fed up with non-stop turret/engine crit. Can't even 1v1 another DD because they just knock my engine out ll the loving time. Got nice turrets though :(

Well, if you think the Sims is the worst DD at it's Tier, you might as well stop playing US DD. I'd gladly have that ship after the buff, than a useless Russian DD. Would have been nice for crew training.

(also you're supposed to get the last stand mod, what broken engine?)

Got about 35k left on the Mahan... the ship is bad. 4.5 km torps? Get used to sitting behind an island and waiting for other people to be stupid.

Hatsuharu... worst time playing this game is in this ship. Impossibly slow torps.

Both of these ships can face tier 10's, and I'd take the Sims over either.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Hatsuharu is nowhere near that bad. I actually have found it the best IJN DD so far although I suspect I'm just a better player after the horror of the stock Mutsuki.

Stock Mutsuki and stock Langley are the two worst things I have experienced in this game.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

kaesarsosei posted:

Hatsuharu is nowhere near that bad. I actually have found it the best IJN DD so far although I suspect I'm just a better player after the horror of the stock Mutsuki.

Stock Mutsuki and stock Langley are the two worst things I have experienced in this game.

Well, now I know that's crazy talk... since even nerfed the Minekaze has monster games.

The enemy has to decide if they want you to hit it with torps. Even then, the most boring gameplay possible. See a US DD? You're dead.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

jownzy posted:

Well, if you think the Sims is the worst DD at it's Tier, you might as well stop playing US DD. I'd gladly have that ship after the buff, than a useless Russian DD. Would have been nice for crew training.

(also you're supposed to get the last stand mod, what broken engine?)
Don't have enough skill points for Last Stand. Also I'm just complaining because I want to shot gun ships with torps :v:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Aesis posted:

Don't have enough skill points for Last Stand. Also I'm just complaining because I want to shot gun ships with torps :v:

It is nice having guns though, but definitely need last stand. Solo'd Pensacola with guns in my Mahan yesterday, because I couldn't get near him with torps, he decided to run while I burned him. I assume this would work just as well with the Sims.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Did total 131k damage :stare: Basically I had to fight 2 Myoko, 2 DD, 2 Cleveland, 1 NM, 1 Kongo and 1 Colorado while team was dying left and right so fast. Seriously though, NM is a good ship. Shame that Colorado is such a let down.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The izumo plus my banzai tendencies mean I die a lot, laugh like a fool and make my team angry.

All the time.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

The enemy has to decide if they want you to hit it with torps. Even then, the most boring gameplay possible. See a US DD? You're dead.
Are you referring to the Hatsuharu? Because its guns aren't bad. They actually got a tiny buff in the last patch, making them even better. You have more shells in a broadside (and higher damage per shell as well) than a US DD, though you don't have nearly the same RoF. But against AA Hull US DDs you can hit them with a big salvo, then maneuver while locking your guns, then once you've reloaded, slide back into position and fire your guns. The 5 guns hulls are harder to pull this against, since they're spewing an extra shot every reload, but making them pop smoke or peel away, or smashing some of their guns, is good.

IJN DDs can make very good use of their guns. They're just not as high a RoF as the US DDs. If you make your shots count, you can win fights with hostile DDs, even US ones, though it gets harder once those US DDs hit T8+. The Benson will potentially dunk you before you can even figure out he's there, as its concealment is fairly good and its turrets swing absurdly fast, and the Fletcher will DEFINITELY dunk you with its 5 guns at all hulls. The Gearing will be a nightmare for you, as well. The Fletcher/Gearing also have better torps than you, and the Benson's torps are kinda scary with 2 quintuple tubes. You can fend off Nicholas/Farragut/Mahan/Sims fairly well, though. The Fubuki is a shining star amongst its peers, with arguably the best guns of all IJN DDs (though the Shimakaze's are virtually the same, but two tiers higher). The Fubuki could very likely beat a lot of US DDs it uptiers in a gunfight, especially if they're AA Hull.

The Mutsuki's turrets have a 180 traverse of 14 seconds, by the way, with the upgraded turrets. That's the fastest turn speed of all IJN DDs, IIRC. 2 seconds slower than the Farragut and Mahan's own turrets, too! Please remember that you have guns when you're an IJN DD. Or don't, it makes my job as a US DD much easier.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 15, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

demonR6 posted:

That's my favorite reticle for the same reason.

I like the blue one with the arcs at the bottom of the recticle. Helps with tracking incoming torps too. I think its Krab 3?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hows that tier 8 premium ship?

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

BadLlama posted:

The Atago is pretty good, other than being easy to citadel.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Joined a pubbie div tonight just for poo poo and giggles. We are all in our tier 4 ships and get in a tier 7 game. Last time I am doing that fucker.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

BadLlama posted:

Atago is OK, Tirpitz is quite the little Monster.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Burt posted:

Joined a pubbie div tonight just for poo poo and giggles. We are all in our tier 4 ships and get in a tier 7 game. Last time I am doing that fucker.

I wish a division's battle tier range was displayed for at least the division leader under the members' readied ships window in port. No, queuing your Tenryu with your buddy's Wyoming is not a good idea, random pubbie idiot on my team # 500

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Reztes posted:

I wish a division's battle tier range was displayed for at least the division leader under the members' readied ships window in port. No, queuing your Tenryu with your buddy's Wyoming is not a good idea, random pubbie idiot on my team # 500

Honestly, if you get dragged into a Tier 7 match like that, the Tenryu might actually have a better shot at doing something decent than the Wyoming. Mainly because the Wyoming is a sitting duck to any Nagato, Fuso, or New Mexico that feel like bagging an easy kill, and is easily spotted for doing so. Meanwhile, the Tenryu has decent concealment along with fast firing guns and torpedoes, so it at least has a chance of ambushing someone and causing damage. It can also actually ccontest points, as opposed to the Wyoming with its blistering sub-20 kt speed. Sure it'll die as soon as someone gets a decent shot at it, but it at least might not have that happen immediately.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I've seen Eries and Hashidates in matches with T7 ships multiple times due to questionable division choices.

What's the thought process behind that? Do these people think their buddy is going to get great XP getting one-shotted from 20Km as soon as the match starts?

The saddest I ever saw was a South Carolina in a match where the next lowest tier BB was my Kongo, everything else was T6 or up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Think the worst I've seen was a division of a Myogi and two South Carolinas in a T7 match. On Ocean, just for that added "gently caress You!" factor. The other side might, MIGHT, have had a single Myogi on their side, but other than that they had no low tier battleships. Let's just say the SCs never got into range of anything, and the Myogi died fairly fast as well.

Sure, I've seen weird stuff like an Atlanta with T2 destroyers or whatever, but at least low tier destroyers and cruisers have a chance to do something due to low visibility combined with either rapid fire guns, for the fire chance, or torpedoes. T3 and 4 battleships really need to have that +3 matchmaking reduced, because they just die.

edit: Speaking of which, has anyone figured out what happens when you pair a low tier carrier with a high tier anything? Like say a Langley with an Iowa. Curious if some other poor independent CV captain in a T4 gets dragged in to a T9 match as well.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 16, 2015

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

If I had to guess, since the matchmaker for divisions usually only looks at the highest tier in the division, the Langley would get paired with a tier 9 carrier on the enemy team instead.

Just my prediction based on Wargaming and the way the division matchmaking works in other cases. I'm not in a hurry to find somebody to test that with though, it sounds incredibly painful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Reztes posted:

If I had to guess, since the matchmaker for divisions usually only looks at the highest tier in the division, the Langley would get paired with a tier 9 carrier on the enemy team instead.

Just my prediction based on Wargaming and the way the division matchmaking works in other cases. I'm not in a hurry to find somebody to test that with though, it sounds incredibly painful.

I think it actually would drag in some poor bastard Langley, but I'm not sure. I recall having seen a not-quite-so-bad fail division carrier.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
loving pubbies are so incapable of getting in the cap circles in domination games. Just finished up a game on fault line where they just steamed around aimlessly and except for me grabbing one in a Wyoming (in a Tier VI match), did absolutely nothing. We actually more of their team, but our pub's fear of the cap circles lost the game.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.
Just out of curiosity: what graphics setting corresponds to "Draw smoke screens? Y/N?"

Because it would be nice to know why enemy ships keep disappearing, for us plebs on terrible computers.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Death On Toast posted:

Just out of curiosity: what graphics setting corresponds to "Draw smoke screens? Y/N?"

Because it would be nice to know why enemy ships keep disappearing, for us plebs on terrible computers.

I know on medium and high I was seeing them.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Death On Toast posted:

I can only see smoke screens when I am not looking at them.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Yeah DD's in smokescreens are like the squigglies in your eye that you can only see when you look away. I can see them fine unzoomed in, but when I hit shift, boy howdy do they disappear until I go back to normal view, rinse, repeat.

Also, that FPS reduction thing happened within 90s of a new game in a newly launched client, and it happened to multiple people on both teams. I don't like that poo poo, WG. Even closing and relaunching the game only helped for about another 60s.

EDIT: World of Warships: I don't like that poo poo, WG

TSBX fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 16, 2015

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Groggy nard posted:

You don't need the SEAMN clan tag to join SEAMN chat and Teamspeak. You just need to get on the drat Goon TS and say "HEY I WANT TO PLAY TIER WHATEVER"

I've only been active over the past week because friends were playing tanks (normally gently caress WG because they never gave me my beta payouts for planes, let alone ships) but the goons ts botes channels are empty most of the time, I can't get into them due to server permissions, and my application to SEAMN has had no response. So wtf

James Garfield posted:

Remember that win rates aren't a great reflection of how the ship classes are performing, unless you have an unusual definition of "how the ship classes are performing." Especially among average players, cruisers and destroyers have win rate bonuses that aren't related to how good they are at fighting.

you're talking in an obscure way about emergent win rate bonuses. is this because of matchmaking? Do you count scouting as part of fighting?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

stephenfry posted:

you're talking in an obscure way about emergent win rate bonuses. is this because of matchmaking? Do you count scouting as part of fighting?

Battleships aren't very good at capping and defending bases, partly because they're slow and easy to spot and partly because pubbie battleships are incredible cowards. I don't count base capture (or resets that don't sink ships) as part of fighting since they aren't rewarded proportionately, and running from every enemy to cap fast and maximize your win rate in a ship class that can't fight isn't my idea of fun.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
So I'm not sure if anyone is absolutely aware of this, but there is still a way to spot destroyers that pop smoke screens and disappear.

If you look closely, you can see when their destroyer releases another plume of smoke (it comes up from the centre of their ship), it's done every 4 seconds or so, and if they are dumb and are still moving in roughly a straight line, you can still predict where they are in the smoke cloud. I have killed quite a few DDs this way and the hack accusations are always hilarious.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pubbies in general are amazing cowards in this game. Pubby cruisers are so terrified of DDs they won't advance to look for them, and BBs will never move forward to anchor a line. The only exception is the Pubby DD, who is not only going to rush forward, he'll happily get himself spotted and get murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

James Garfield posted:

Battleships aren't very good at capping and defending bases, partly because they're slow and easy to spot and partly because pubbie battleships are incredible cowards.

I have noticed that pubbie battleship players tend to have heavy tank complex. In that they spend most of their time hiding or running away instead of using their HP and armor to engage a weaker enemy. The rest of the time is spent complaining about torpedoes.