Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xisticide posted:

Just checked: flagpoles and axes respawn when the magikoopa that zapped them is killed, might be a cool idea for a boss fight
Giant Magikoopas are great, they can spawn Big Boos and things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

if anyone has a better suggestion of how to impliment the tube things or motherbrain herself, i appreciate it

the original idea was to try to cage a bowser, but he behaved weirdly and it just didn't work like i wanted

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That Smash level is awesome, I thought it was just someone's YouTube edit when I saw the thumbnail because no way was such a thing possible.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i want to dedicate the next year of my gaming to Iwata.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Evil Eagle your castle level with the cape is really good, it took me a few lives but it felt satisfying to beat. The boss fight was really good and interesting too.

Thank you. :)

Did you find the secret exit?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

no they will not posted:

anyone else get it so when mario falls down a hole instead of dying he falls into a corridor and walks along the corridor for a bit and then opens a door and someone whispers "Super Mario Maker" and then he dies

i got that twice in a row and thought it was a sound effect you could attach to him, but it turns out i was just lucky. it's random. Bye-Bye Mario

tried to do a remake of SMB3 sky tower thingy. i did not realize until now that roto discs are not present, not even by shaking fire bars. it could've gone better but here it is: AAFF 0000 003D 23ED

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Thank you. :)

Did you find the secret exit?
I think I know how to get there but I always ended up losing the cape by the time I got to the last Bullet Bill jumps over the lava.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im playing super mario bros 3 warpless for the first time. the way the forts start turning into puzzle dungeons is really cool, i still think super mario world is the better game but theres a ton of good poo poo here. i cant believe this was on the NES

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

im playing super mario bros 3 warpless for the first time. the way the forts start turning into puzzle dungeons is really cool, i still think super mario world is the better game but theres a ton of good poo poo here. i cant believe this was on the NES
It's an amazing game and I go back and forth on whether or not it or SMW is better. I played an insane amount of SMW when I was a kid including getting all 96 exits multiple times but SMB3 has a crazy amount of variety between worlds.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive brought this up a few times, but its really cool to think that when the famicom first came out, it had a port of donkey kong that looked pretty close to the original, and had 3 of the 4 screens, and this was fuckin amazing

then mario 1 comes out and its got 5 different graphical styles in 32 long scrolling stages holy poo poo how

and then mario 3 was just 3 years later on the same system what the gently caress

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

and then mario 3 was just 3 years later on the same system what the gently caress

in dev interviews with the dudes from shovel knight, for the art style they went with "well what if people just kept developing for the NES forever?"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

in dev interviews with the dudes from shovel knight, for the art style they went with "well what if people just kept developing for the NES forever?"
The devs wrote some good blog posts on the Shovel Knight website about trying to design the graphics and sound based on the NES limitations

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I've just put the finishing touches on my latest masterpiece. I wanted to experiment with the winged stiletto and give the player a lot of cool things to do while using it.

I also wanted to use the skinny shroom because I am proud of beating the NWC levels and it has ownage animations.

I present Pale Imposter's Dark Dream

DBBE-0000-003D-6E16

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Important - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-09-14/shigeru-miyamoto-confirms-mario-full-name-during-30th-anniversary-conference/.92897

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I've just put the finishing touches on my latest masterpiece. I wanted to experiment with the winged stiletto and give the player a lot of cool things to do while using it.

I also wanted to use the skinny shroom because I am proud of beating the NWC levels and it has ownage animations.

I present Pale Imposter's Dark Dream

DBBE-0000-003D-6E16

This was strange and distressing.

Also I played your other ones and, well, you're not shy about using those sound effects huh!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Man, you guys make so good levels I've just been playing levels in this thread rather than making my own.

I don't think mario has ever been this fun.

I did get started on Spooky House 2 now though, so maybe I'll get that done.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Aston posted:

This was strange and distressing.

Also I played your other ones and, well, you're not shy about using those sound effects huh!

It's a phase we all must grow through. Also it doesn't help when you mainly play with a bunch of other people and every time people discover sound effects they wanna place a million of them.

I do think it would be cool if you could separate the visual effects from the sounds though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
irc.synirc.net #SAMarioMaker

Seems I got a copy by pure chance, so I decided that us goons should talk Mario Maker in here.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

To the IRC, lads!!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I knew it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slur posted:

irc.synirc.net #SAMarioMaker

Seems I got a copy by pure chance, so I decided that us goons should talk Mario Maker in here.

You're out of your drat mind if you think I'm going to chat on the SomethingAwful Mario Maker IRC channel.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's an amazing game and I go back and forth on whether or not it or SMW is better. I played an insane amount of SMW when I was a kid including getting all 96 exits multiple times but SMB3 has a crazy amount of variety between worlds.

I don't like how muted the color palette is in 3.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

I don't like how muted the color palette is in 3.
The NES color palette was pretty limited. I think it looks great, definitely one of the best-looking NES titles

I also liked that in the All-Stars port they didn't really change any of the sprites at all, just added more color to them

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

In Training posted:

You're out of your drat mind if you think I'm going to chat on the SomethingAwful Mario Maker IRC channel.

Good.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

This one looks so good..

WarioWare, Inc. - 2B43-0000-0038-3F06

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mario has started up a donut delivery business, and business is good. But his latest customer is deep in the territory of the Red Koopa Donut Pirates. It's up to Mario to deliver his delicious donuts through their fleet, and into a hungry stomach.

Dangerous Donut Delivery - 9CDA-0000-003D-F373

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

This one looks so good..

WarioWare, Inc. - 2B43-0000-0038-3F06

haha i love it

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

elf help book posted:

ive brought this up a few times, but its really cool to think that when the famicom first came out, it had a port of donkey kong that looked pretty close to the original, and had 3 of the 4 screens, and this was fuckin amazing

then mario 1 comes out and its got 5 different graphical styles in 32 long scrolling stages holy poo poo how

what they managed to accomplish with the NES over the course of 10 years is absolutely insane

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I made another space level. It's fun.

Escape From Kuribon-7 05DC-0000-003E-2D76

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

what they managed to accomplish with the NES over the course of 10 years is absolutely insane

It's especially astounding considering how godawful the home console situation was before the Famicom came out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm always fascinated by the crazy rear end satellite system Nintendo did with the Famicom where you could download games onto the system and play them, 30 years ago.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's something really really appealing to me about SMB3's art style. The black outlines and simple designs give it a really clean and consistent look

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i could stare at the mario 3 boo sprites for hours

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i could stare at the mario 3 boo sprites for hours

I could, too, because I know as soon as I look away my life is forfeit.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I could, too, because I know as soon as I look away my life is forfeit.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
since i can't play mario maker ive been playing smb3 via mario all-stars and its a lot of fun. it's my first time ive given the game an honest play through and i love it so far

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The version of super Mario all stars that also included Super Mario World is probably the most amount of insanely good game put on one cartridge

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

The version of super Mario all stars that also included Super Mario World is probably the most amount of insanely good game put on one cartridge
I agree, it also owned because they gave Luigi his own sprite and he spits out his fireballs

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Mario has started up a donut delivery business, and business is good. But his latest customer is deep in the territory of the Red Koopa Donut Pirates. It's up to Mario to deliver his delicious donuts through their fleet, and into a hungry stomach.

Dangerous Donut Delivery - 9CDA-0000-003D-F373

You made a cruel, cruel level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i made a level called "mario kills yoshi and goes to h*ll" in which the player has to sacrifice yoshi to do a double jump and then goes to hell for their sins. no music. I will not be uploading this level

• Locked thread