Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm sure he'll be back when there's a project he wants to do. He's very much in a place where he can do what he wants as he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I won't lie, I enjoyed the "Would you kindly?" in Siege. Such a dumb reference but so delightful anyway. :shobon:

I love this book and want it to last way, way longer.

Do we know why Gillen seems not to be doing anything with Marvel after this? (Or is there something I missed and he is?)

He's still doing Darth Vader, but yeah other than that his plate is a bit full at the moment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Do we know why Gillen seems not to be doing anything with Marvel after this? (Or is there something I missed and he is?)

If it's creator owned you apparently make more money on something that sells a fraction of the issues needed to not get cancelled by Marvel or DC.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I actually like most of Gillen's marvel work way more than his creator owned work. The more of a darling of his something is the less I seem to like it. I have zero interest in W+D, and vaguely more than zero for phonogram.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Secret Wars #6 is delayed to October 7. (per BC)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Odds of Marvel pulling the trigger with a fill-in artist before this is over?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Secret Wars #6 is delayed to October 7. (per BC)

Diamond has it listed for that date

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So what do they do with all the post Secret Wars #1s? Delay the entire line for one artist?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No. The in universe time gap lets the new books roll out with fresh story lines instead of focusing on the aftermath of Secret Wars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wiegieman posted:

So what do they do with all the post Secret Wars #1s? Delay the entire line for one artist?

Nah, it's an eight month timeskip so it'll probably just be characters making vague references to the end of SW (if they remember it at all).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I suspect only characters that were on the rafts plus Doom and maybe Strange (he's dead, so who knows what he'll remember) will even know Secret Wars happened.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I suspect only characters that were on the rafts plus Doom and maybe Strange (he's dead, so who knows what he'll remember) will even know Secret Wars happened.
It's right there in the title! :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Spider-man gets on the Spider-mobile and tells Mockingbird how crazy it was when Reed and Doom finally made out in order to revive the multiverse.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Spider-man gets on the Spider-mobile and tells Mockingbird how crazy it was when Reed and Doom finally made out in order to revive the multiverse.

Is... is that the Spider-Man who is in the Captain Britain Corps? It's good to know he survived, I liked him.

;p

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I agree that these tie-ins for the most part have been pretty great. Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde, Civil War, 1872. I even liked Renew You Vows. Spider-Verse is good but the art isn't my favorite.

Does anyone know wtf is going on in Ultimate End though?

Also, that's CRAP that the main series is delayed again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ultimate End has been poo poo because Bendis was secretly replaced by a terrible writer 2 years ago, maybe 3.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ultimate End has been poo poo because Bendis was secretly replaced by a terrible writer 2 years ago, maybe 3.

Counter point, Old Man Logan is real good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Then explain Old Man Logan and Guardians of Knowhere. His last run of Ultimate Spider-man was also not that bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Caper posted:

Does anyone know wtf is going on in Ultimate End though?

It's not really hard to figure out: 616 and 1610 were shoved into the same domain, unlike all the other realms, so the various characters are directly interacting with each other, making tensions high. They're not happy about it, and so they fight. It's just kind of all over the place and not very well written.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think Bendis has like an assistant he gives books to that he doesn't really want to write so he can focus on the one he actually wants to. That explains why he's so inconstant.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think Bendis is better at writing books that tell a story from mostly a singular character's perspective. All his best books are solo series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

I think Bendis is better at writing books that tell a story from mostly a singular character's perspective. All his best books are solo series.

New Avengers volume 1?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

New Avengers volume 1?

New Avengers started out really good but got side tracked and and derailed so much I would hesitate to call it one of his best books. I also don't think he is great at writing big events. I don't think his big team books are usually bad or anything, I just don't think they are nearly as good as his other stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

New Avengers started out really good but got side tracked and and derailed so much I would hesitate to call it one of his best books. I also don't think he is great at writing big events. I don't think his big team books are usually bad or anything, I just don't think they are nearly as good as his other stuff.

It was solid until Civil War.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It was solid until Civil War.

That's only a third of the first volume.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Dark Avengers was better than New Avengers ever was.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've just noticed that Bendis has been sucking so bad lately but I attribute it to him being spread too thin. Guardians of Knowhere sucks too. If Old Man Logan weren't drawn by Andrea Sorrentino I probably wouldn't bother reading it.

Endless Mike posted:

It's not really hard to figure out: 616 and 1610 were shoved into the same domain, unlike all the other realms, so the various characters are directly interacting with each other, making tensions high. They're not happy about it, and so they fight. It's just kind of all over the place and not very well written.

But are the 616 characters just Doom-created copies, and the real 616 people are on the life raft? I don't have it in front of me right now.

Also, for Civil War's ending, I bet Cap still ends up dying for whatever reason.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Caper posted:

Also, for Civil War's ending, I bet Cap still ends up dying for whatever reason.

Or they'll twist it and Iron-Man will die.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Caper posted:

But are the 616 characters just Doom-created copies, and the real 616 people are on the life raft? I don't have it in front of me right now.

Yes. Everyone in Ultimate End is a Doom creation Miles who's coming to save the day

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Caper posted:

I've just noticed that Bendis has been sucking so bad lately but I attribute it to him being spread too thin. Guardians of Knowhere sucks too. If Old Man Logan weren't drawn by Andrea Sorrentino I probably wouldn't bother reading it.

It's all Doom-created copies or...whatever Battleworld inhabitants are. The only *actually* 616 and 1610 characters are those who were on the liferafts, and of the latter, only Miles and Reed actually made it on-board.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

It's all Doom-created copies or...whatever Battleworld inhabitants are. The only *actually* 616 and 1610 characters are those who were on the liferafts, and of the latter, only Miles and Reed actually made it on-board.

So at the end of #4, is that the 'real' Miles, and that's why he's the one who 'can change everything'?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Caper posted:

So at the end of #4, is that the 'real' Miles, and that's why he's the one who 'can change everything'?

Yep. It was shown in the main series that he is there due to Strange.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep. It was shown in the main series that he is there due to Strange.

I need to go back and reread the main series again because I distinctly remember my reaction to UE #4 being "Okay.. BFD it's another fake Spider-Man what's he gonna do. There's also a fake Peter Parker." For some reason I didn't know it was the real Miles, or as Kitty Pryde would put it, a "Living Anomaly."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Caper posted:

I need to go back and reread the main series again because I distinctly remember my reaction to UE #4 being "Okay.. BFD it's another fake Spider-Man what's he gonna do. There's also a fake Peter Parker." For some reason I didn't know it was the real Miles, or as Kitty Pryde would put it, a "Living Anomaly."

Okay he was not shown to be there, but its pretty obvious knowing what happened in that issue, that its the real Miles.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

Counter point, Old Man Logan is real good.

I wasn't a fan. Nothing really happens in the end, he just gets thrown from place to place and grouses about how he should never have left home.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

I wasn't a fan. Nothing really happens in the end, he just gets thrown from place to place and grouses about how he should never have left home.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing since issue 2. Issue 1 was good, but since then it's been the same every issue. Really makes it no big deal to travel from place to place without much problems (for a super hero) when you've gone to like 5 locations in 2 issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Old Man Logan and Godzilla in Hell have the same story and it's not story you're there to read. The art is gorgeous and it's a simple enough concept so art is all you need.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
The second story in Journals today was the best thing. "Doom is totally scary, you guys!" :3:

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Jesus James Robinson, Armor Wars loving sucked. I'll still check out Squadron Supreme, but step it up a little there. That was bad by Civil War tie in standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
why do people keep getting suckered into reading james robinson books

• Locked thread