Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

RottenK posted:

if the catch up mechanic only raises the cap but doesn't increase the amount of sparks gained then it won't do poo poo

I'd heard that was part of the catch-up mechanic a while ago but they don't mention it directly in the notes which is weird. I guess it could be in a future patch but you wouldn't want to wait long on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

RottenK posted:

if the catch up mechanic only raises the cap but doesn't increase the amount of sparks gained then it won't do poo poo

When you are a super lowbie in the first two weeks, then yeah maybe not, but when you figure out that you can blow through a typical dungeon with 3-4 bosses in 6-10 minutes once you max your first class then it becomes super easy to cap and catch up!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I keep hitting the cap without really trying but I only do x2 and x3 spark adventures and mostly ignore everything else. Not even playing that much, maybe an hour or two a day.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I just downloaded this because I tried Wildstar f2play for all of 5 hours before deciding nope it was awful. This game actually seems to get some recommendations but oh boy the last couple of pages don't paint a pretty picture. Am I doomed to be behind?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

d3c0y2 posted:

I just downloaded this because I tried Wildstar f2play for all of 5 hours before deciding nope it was awful. This game actually seems to get some recommendations but oh boy the last couple of pages don't paint a pretty picture. Am I doomed to be behind?

If you wanted a bland, uninspired Tera clone without the lolicon this game is for you. Tera's combat is stll significantly better though.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
That's quite the glowing recommendation... I thought we were mostly complaining about the unusual spark progression system.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's a bad game :). It's free though, and worth a download to play for a couple of weeks. It becomes a mindless, boring, repetitive mess passed that though.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's the highest quality low pressure free game I've played.

That doesn't make it great but it's not bad.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Stanley Pain posted:

If you wanted a bland, uninspired Tera clone without the lolicon this game is for you. Tera's combat is stll significantly better though.

That's the only thing terra does better though, the entire rest of the game was poo poo iirc. This game is a heck of a lot of fun and the combat is fun too, the bosses all have fun gimmicks and as I get to the different dungeons I see more and more different mechanics. I don't know why people don't compare it more to phantasy star or diablo 3, this game is at least as good as D3. It's got more bosses and better combat and gameplay mechanics than D3 does.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Washout posted:

That's the only thing terra does better though, the entire rest of the game was poo poo iirc. This game is a heck of a lot of fun and the combat is fun too, the bosses all have fun gimmicks and as I get to the different dungeons I see more and more different mechanics. I don't know why people don't compare it more to phantasy star or diablo 3, this game is at least as good as D3. It's got more bosses and better combat and gameplay mechanics than D3 does.

Not really. This game's combat pales in comparison to Tera or even D3 both from a mechanical and tactile feel perspective. That 15 minute video that was posted pretty much seals it ;).

Tera's combat was great in that you could kind forget about the "actual game" and go play monster hunter, or gank people, etc. Is there a class that can solo a 5 man dungeon in Skyforge?

I'd say the dungeons between the two games are pretty similar, but again Tera wins out on variation. Like I alluded to before, this isn't a bad game per say, it's just that it's very shallow and repetitive.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

Not really. This game's combat pales in comparison to Tera or even D3 both from a mechanical and tactile feel perspective. That 15 minute video that was posted pretty much seals it ;).

Tera's combat was great in that you could kind forget about the "actual game" and go play monster hunter, or gank people, etc. Is there a class that can solo a 5 man dungeon in Skyforge?

I'd say the dungeons between the two games are pretty similar, but again Tera wins out on variation. Like I alluded to before, this isn't a bad game per say, it's just that it's very shallow and repetitive.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah I quit TERA because the combat was too fun and not just the same composition of groups over and over again with one big guy and a dozen little guys I had exactly two rotations for anything not dungeons. One for when my stuff was on cooldown, one for when it wasn't. Could've used a macro. On top of that add all the other poo poo that makes TERA a special kind of hell.

In my opinion Skyforge is the better game, it's still not great and not really something you can play full time but it's decent enough.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ I know Skyforge can be repetitive and all...

Washout posted:

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Yup :)

I think we can all agree that we need more ACTION COMBAT MMOs/Multiplayer games in general.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
I haven't really played TERA myself, but I'm liking the combination of action RPG and being able to switch classes around without having to create multiple characters.

I'm kind of eyeing trying out Blade & Soul, though. Whenever that happens.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Still hanging around in Skyforge, TERA didn't last this long for me. If you like TERA better that's fine but I never got why it was that well liked.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

Still hanging around in Skyforge, TERA didn't last this long for me. If you like TERA better that's fine but I never got why it was that well liked.

I don't think it's that Tera was well liked at all. It's a pretty terrible game overall, it's just that the combat in that game felt really good. Sort of in the same way the Neverwinter Nights is a poo poo show of an MMO but the combat is pretty fun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Neverwinter's combat was good because they codified abilities hard. You had two things you could use whenever, three things that were on cooldowns, and two abilities that keyed off of a shared resource you got by performing your role well. But most of the options in the game were either trap choices or illusions of choice because there were clear winners in almost every single category that even casual observation could pick out.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Neverwinter also made the odd choice to root you in place while you attack which is pretty bad for an action game where you're not supposed to take hits. Early on this didn't matter since you could just stack Clerics and they could stack Astral Shield and nobody in the circle would take any damage but then they fixed that but tanks were still poo poo so combat was super awkward. Also dungeons were overtuned as gently caress so you pretty much had to take the past of least resistance and pugging would take forever and never actually finish. Just gently caress Neverwinter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I remember doing dungeons as a GWF in neverwinter right up until some dungeon where the final boss was a dragon on top of a broken tower. By the time I could get to the boss, I had to run back out because the ground was covered in about 5 different AOE warnings, once those expired and i got back to the boss, the pattern repeated.

Apparently my job as a melee DPS was to sit there and look ugly while the wizards won the day. That was the last dungeon I did.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Stanley Pain posted:

while i don't really disagree with you that much, i want to point out that every single raid in every single mmo that ever existed looks like awful repetetive poo poo in videos because all raids are awful poo poo for idiots with broken brains

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Looks like the cubeworld invasion starts tomorrow.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

because all raids are awful poo poo for idiots with broken brains

Yes

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Joust posted:

Looks like the cubeworld invasion starts tomorrow.

I'm still not god form yet, but at least I'll be capable of doing the invasion missions for my order for this one.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
It's welcomed, because invasion missions are great for getting followers. It's been super slow leveling my order since the invasion stopped!

(also, totally stocking up on supplies before then)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When I was experimenting with control setups I noticed this game had some... experimental controller support? Like, I plugged my XBOX controller in, and the left thumbstick walked around, the right thumbstick moved the camera, and A jumped and talked to people, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything more than that

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I like this game but the grind is really obvious and very...THERE. It reminds me a lot of the Phantasy Star Online series, with combat more like Tera, and with a FFX style sphere grid replacing the levels/loot in Phantasy Star Online. Tera still has better combat but everything else but the combat in Tera was awful (I actually haven't played Tera since it raised the level cap, but I assume it's more of the same).

I would say the game is straight up better then Neverwinter though. Neverwinter had garbage dungeons and bosses(with the only mechanic for every boss but literally the last like 3 being just ADDS ALL OF THE ADDS), this game has bosses and dungeons with actual mechanics and stuff, which is nice, even if you end up doing the same ones over and over and over and over and over again.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

All mmorpgs end up like that though, you get to raiding and then you run raids over and over and over, except in this game every dungeon is a raid and the big raids get even bigger.

The only thing I really dislike about this game is the loot. I wish they had an elaborate loot system of some kind instead of this mechanically simplistic prestige linked monstrosity.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Fun fact I can count the amount of Strength/Luck rings I got in the last two weeks on one hand and all of those had health or dodge recharge on them. I just want that lovely book so I can unlock crafting rings and be let down by the absolute garbage I produce then.

Sash23-83
Jan 23, 2010

lost
The Grand Prix event is starting.

http://sf.my.com/us/news/events/grand-prix-prototype-1-event

I may be wrong, but it looks like we can earn more points per mission than RU could. The adept mission still takes 8 hours though and still requires Argents to rush though.

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/world/guide/GrandPrixEN

Disheartening...

Sash23-83 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 16, 2015

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
When you log on do a couple of the adventures that involve mechanoids so you can unlock your mechanoid atlas. It's all pretty straightforard, there's some permanent increases to damage and defense against mechanoids as well as some generic talents to compete against your class talents. I wonder if we'll get our last 2 talent slots soon?

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Joust posted:

When you log on do a couple of the adventures that involve mechanoids so you can unlock your mechanoid atlas. It's all pretty straightforard, there's some permanent increases to damage and defense against mechanoids as well as some generic talents to compete against your class talents. I wonder if we'll get our last 2 talent slots soon?

From what I've read, even the Russians don't have those last 2 slots.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Someone mentioned that you don't unlock them until 60k or higher.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I don't really get the comparisons to Tera combat. Skyforge is very much in the mold of oldschool tab-target combat mechanics, and most of your attack animations don't even fire if you don't have an enemy selected and within range. The hitboxes have little or nothing to do with the animations. I guess it has animation locks?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sash23-83 posted:

I may be wrong, but it looks like we can earn more points per mission than RU could. The adept mission still takes 8 hours though and still requires Argents to rush though.

Those are the same points-per-race that the Russian version had. The only change is that our version is going to be around for two weeks.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

hit button posted:

I don't really get the comparisons to Tera combat. Skyforge is very much in the mold of oldschool tab-target combat mechanics, and most of your attack animations don't even fire if you don't have an enemy selected and within range. The hitboxes have little or nothing to do with the animations. I guess it has animation locks?

I don't know if there's been an MMO made since that hasn't had a bunch of people compare it to Tera combat.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Those are the same points-per-race that the Russian version had. The only change is that our version is going to be around for two weeks.

Is that enough time to get the glider without argents?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Is that enough time to get the glider without argents?

God no, not unless you got at least 25 points in every single race race and you did 3 races every day.

You need 1000 points to get the glider. Without spending Argents, you can do 3 races per day (8 hours for each race), for 14 days. That's 42 races, absolute maximum without spending any Argents. The majority of the time, you will get 1-2 points per race, because RNG that hates you.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Schubalts posted:

God no, not unless you got at least 25 points in every single race race and you did 3 races every day.

You need 1000 points to get the glider. Without spending Argents, you can do 3 races per day (8 hours for each race), for 14 days. That's 42 races, absolute maximum without spending any Argents. The majority of the time, you will get 1-2 points per race, because RNG that hates you.

Unless they changed that too but it seems really unlikely. I'll wait and see for now but that seriously blows.

Yeah they didn't. Of course they didn't. Worst thing is the community manager guy acting like they did us a favor with the non changes they made.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 16, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

:negative:

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/55f9989c37989c073fe4d0a2/50?page=3

quote:

3rd event is one symbol that has 2 levels. The 2nd level is 24% might efficiency and 16% health. Imagine that vast increase in stats with 0 impact on your prestige in relation to how your stats are scaled. The most imbalanced thing I've seen in a game since p2w cosmetics with crucial PvP stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
RIP gaem

• Locked thread