Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

bluegoon posted:

Dit is waarlik onaangenaam om mense van my eie taal te dood. Ek dink Kojima het nie mooi gedink nie, hy maak die Afrikaner volk kwaad, ek dink hy moet skaam kry vir homself, ek sal maar net in Afghanistan speel.

Hoekom die poes is Afrikaners altyd die bad guys, dis hosed up, ons is nie almal n klomp konte nie, ten minstuns %30 van ons is nice.

Fok jou Kojima, poes cool game though.

10/10

There's actually conversation by two guys in Africa who basically say, "Why the gently caress does everyone hate Afrikaans? What's wrong with it?" and they sort of discuss that it was a weird hodgepodge of Dutch, English, and some other languages' words that Dutch colonists spoke. Then they started calling it Afrikaans and had the brilliant idea that everyone in Africa should speak it. Eventually the guards say that even though it's their language and they love it, they also realize that a lot of people probably see it as a tool of oppression with a lot of bad memories (I think they even mention the apartheid in South Africa) because it was essentially used to wipe out the mother tongues of, and control, lots of people.

I wish I could find it again because it was really cool to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

UP AND ADAM posted:

What's the verdict on Strangelove's dying message? I thought it was heartwarming- she seemed to be expressing her love for the old Boss, without seeming too obsessive or deluded about their relationship, but I didn't play PW and don't know her character that well. I thought the stuff about helping Otacon with (the?) Joy's help was really nice too. I'm glad she wasn't in agony about Huey betraying her; she just was mad she hosed up and let his dumb rear end trap her.

On the one hand, Strangelove probably did really love the Boss. On the other, she knew her for like less than a year and basically just sat around pining for her and being obsessed with her to the point that Strangelove believed she was the only one who really truly knew the Boss even though it was totally unreciprocated.

Also I just remembered that "Huey" isn't even his real name, it's a nickname Strangelove gives him. Even the innocuous-sounding names are fake in these games.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oddly enough this was the only episode of House I ever watched from start to end. Poor guy just felt like he was on fire. :(

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

On the one hand, Strangelove probably did really love the Boss. On the other, she knew her for like less than a year and basically just sat around pining for her and being obsessed with her to the point that Strangelove believed she was the only one who really truly knew the Boss even though it was totally unreciprocated.
Go back to Ground Zeroes and listen to Paz's secret tapes. The one where Strangelove hits on her is hilarious.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
She may not have felt anything for shithead Huey but she at least loved her son and that's all that matters

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Squallege posted:

She may not have felt anything for shithead Huey but she at least loved her son and that's all that matters

Cersei Lannister account spotted

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aurain posted:

Just replayed mission 22 on my PC version and the debriefing if you rescue Mosquito (who the guide says is the soldier who guides Miller to the heli in Ground Zeroes) is pretty interesting.

He's heard a rumour, source unknown, that Big Boss sold out his comrades to go into hiding. He heard right, kinda!

It's one of the more interesting missions in the game in a lot of ways(though it's kinda easy when you know it since the MSF-style guys lack the readiness improvements that open world guards have).

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Cersei Lannister account spotted

King Hal of Emmerich, First of his name, Lord of the Otaku and ruler of the weeaboo. Wetter of the slacks and wielder of the camo of stealth, Supreme Hacker and glorious creator of the REX.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope, that's the last. If you're not having fun then I'd say stop.

Welp, i'm done with it then. 62%, the last of which must be S ranking the single player missions and the tedious side ops. :suicide:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kin posted:

Welp, i'm done with it then. 62%, the last of which must be S ranking the single player missions and the tedious side ops. :suicide:

Uh you appear to be forgetting capturing liberating all the animals?????

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Uh you appear to be forgetting capturing liberating all the animals?????

Figured that would also count towards 100%, thank gently caress my OCD has limits.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Getting all the tapes counts towards 100% too, but I'm uncertain if the third tab does. I got 100% without getting the horse neighs tape because it never showed up.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thinking about all the twists in MGS2 and how the ending made me feel it's really loving stupid that Otacon's mom maid the arsenal gear's AI or w/e. And Big Boss was one of the patriots. And Otacon's grandpa made metal gear, and his dad did too.

Just crazy loving stupid. Ruinously stupid.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Modest Mao posted:

New thread title, mods? Mods??

In all seriousness Kojima is the victim of MGS3's success. That game completely told the big boss story to such an extent that further elaboration in poops/pwalker/ppain was bound to be unnecessary at best.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Modest Mao posted:

Thinking about all the twists in MGS2 and how the ending made me feel it's really loving stupid that Otacon's mom maid the arsenal gear's AI or w/e. And Big Boss was one of the patriots. And Otacon's grandpa made metal gear, and his dad did too.

It's almost like there's a sensible story in there about 2 old war heroes screwed over by the Government they fought for, both striving to make the world a better place but in their own opposing ways, but then we get poo poo like nanomachines, nature based nanomachine like bacteria and stupid poo poo like trying to erase human language.

At least the plot for MGS 1 was fairly straightforward, Liquid Snake just wanted to recreate Outer Heaven for all the genome soldiers didnt he?

It's a little weird going back to watch some of the cutscenes because what was once over the top evil doesn't really seem that way now that you know about all the other (non crazy bacteria) stuff that was going on.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kin posted:

At least the plot for MGS 1 was fairly straightforward, Liquid Snake just wanted to recreate Outer Heaven for all the genome soldiers didnt he?

Well that's what Liquid wanted, in reality Solidus (who was president at the time) sent Ocelot to goad Liquid into rebelling and taking over Shadow Moses so he could use REX to take on the Patriots, likely by doing the whole nuke/EMMA pulse thing to steal Manhattan like he tried in MGS2.

MGS1 was just as nuts as the rest of the series, it just held it's cards closer to it's chest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Unironically, I think the Vocal Chord Parasite backstory was loving awesome and the biggest issue was that it had nothing to with metal gear and they had to have a metal gear in the game because or reasons, so the best metal gear ever built was also the first one and even though the only time it ever worked was when it was mind controlled by a child, they brought the whole thing back to their mother base even though the last guy who owned it JUST got pwnt by it because you never know when psycho mantis is going to take over it and use it to kill you.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

No Mods No Masters posted:

New thread title, mods? Mods??

In all seriousness Kojima is the victim of MGS3's success. That game completely told the big boss story to such an extent that further elaboration in poops/pwalker/ppain was bound to be unnecessary at best.

I did think it was useful seeing the charismatic side of Big Boss in Peace Walker. It demonstrated his cult of personality--why tons of people would buy into Outer Heaven despite it being an utterly insane idea on the face of it.

It also explains why BB is constantly trying to rebuild Outer Heaven. Those few months on an oil rig surrounded by sweaty dudes were probably among the happiest of his life. And Miller, and Paz, and all the other MSF soldiers. For lifelong tools, it really was the next best thing to heaven.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 15, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like the parasites. It was super funny how Kojima nust dubbed them the nanotechnology of the 80s and just switched some terms around. As someone who loves watching Kojima wrestle with the plot, I wholly approve of the hilarious "explains anything" nature of the things.

Dude plays it straight on so many other things he doesn't even need to, let the man have at least one weapon to cut through at least SOME bullshit.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Snak posted:

Unironically, I think the Vocal Chord Parasite backstory was loving awesome and the biggest issue was that it had nothing to with metal gear and they had to have a metal gear in the game because or reasons, so the best metal gear ever built was also the first one and even though the only time it ever worked was when it was mind controlled by a child, they brought the whole thing back to their mother base even though the last guy who owned it JUST got pwnt by it because you never know when psycho mantis is going to take over it and use it to kill you.

the parasites lead to the development of FOXDIE i thought

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Under the vegetable posted:

There's a tape you unlock near the end that pretty much yanks that out from under you and goes "nope it's a dead end nothing will ever come of it oh well" iirc

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

There's a tape you unlock near the end that pretty much yanks that out from under you and goes "nope it's a dead end nothing will ever come of it oh well" iirc

lol excellent

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I thought Mission 43 did a good job of explaining why they ditched parasites.

All it takes is some infected guy going to get an x-ray, and suddenly their perfect superweapon is killing them as well as their enemy. It's just too easy to lose control over them once they enter the wild.

I predicted Sahalanthropus was being animated by Mantis, but in retrospect, how kickass would it have been if Sahalanthropus was being controlled by parasites? As you blow the armor off, you start seeing organic material beneath, and you realize that it's just one giant colony of microorganisms. A superorganism.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That tape actually explained how the vocal chord parasites were useless but something that specifically targeted individuals via genetics would be just what the Dr. Clark ordered.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

What I meant was, asside from Sahelanthropus being a great boss fight, it's inclusion in the game was completely dumb and the game should have just been about the VOCAL CHORD PARASITES.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sahelanthropus was kind of incidental to the plot, but any time he showed up it was loving great. Sneaking around him as he stomps around smashing the landscape trying to find you was straight out of a horror movie, and the actual fight was fun as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish the Skulls had be a bit more varied. It was cool when the Sexxxy Stealth Skulls showed up because it was a variation, but I'd have liked it if each Skull encounter after maybe the first was a different parasite powerup.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
2 mist, 2 armour, 1 camoflague

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

That tape actually explained how the vocal chord parasites were useless but something that specifically targeted individuals via genetics would be just what the Dr. Clark ordered.

I can see Para-Medic in a lab somewhere, excitedly telling SIGINT over the phone to forget that language poo poo, genetics is where the real fun is.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
So Outer Heaven has been 'made' like 4 times so far in prequels. First Portable Ops (which is roughly canon according to Kojima) which turned out to not be Outer Heaven, then Peace Walker which also turned out to not be Outer Heaven, then MGSV:PP by Venom which is Outer Heaven, but also MGSV:PP by Big Boss doing whatever he's doing during MGSV which I guess turns into Zanzibar Outer Heaven. Each time we found out about them, we're supposed to believe "so this is Outer Heaven from MG1', and then like a few years later (or a few dozen hours later in the case of the second outer heaven in MGSV) we find out they weren't, they were just prototype outer heavens.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 15, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Funky Valentine posted:

I can see Para-Medic in a lab somewhere, excitedly telling SIGINT over the phone to forget that language poo poo, genetics is where the real fun is.

"No, seriously, we can just INJECT the soldier gene into like, a hundred guys, it'll be awesome"

"Is... Is that how that works?"

"Maybe! If not I still have that whole cyborg ninja thing to fall back on."

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ImpAtom posted:

I wish the Skulls had be a bit more varied. It was cool when the Sexxxy Stealth Skulls showed up because it was a variation, but I'd have liked it if each Skull encounter after maybe the first was a different parasite powerup.

If only they had beefed up one of each type and gave them some extra attacks and made them into a full bossfight. Imagine how intense it would have been to fight a real boss after the helicopter crash with Codetalker. You'd be desperately trying to figure out the boss's weakness while you are receiving reports of your staff dying in quarantine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lovely Wizard posted:

So Outer Heaven has been 'made' like 4 times so far in prequels. First Portable Ops (which is roughly canon according to Kojima) which turned out to not be Outer Heaven, then Peace Walker which also turned out to not be Outer Heaven, then MGSV:PP by Venom which is Outer Heaven, but also MGSV:PP by Big Boss doing whatever he's doing during MGSV which I guess turns into Zanzibar Outer Heaven. Each time we found out about them, we're supposed to believe "so this is Outer Heaven from MG1', and then like a few years later (or a few dozen hours later in the case of the second outer heaven in MGSV) we find out they weren't, they were just prototype outer heavens.

I mean maybe you believed that, but every time they "made Outer Heaven" it was never in Zanzibarland so it obviously wasn't the OH from MG1...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean maybe you believed that, but every time they "made Outer Heaven" it was never in Zanzibarland so it obviously wasn't the OH from MG1...

Outer Heaven wasn't in Zanzibarland. Zanzibarland is where they went afterwards.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

lovely Wizard posted:

Wait, so Is Venom supposed to be the crazy Big Boss from MG1 with the real Big Boss being the one you "kill" in MG2?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The concept of Outer Heaven growing legs and walking to where it needs to be for plot relevance isnt something I would put past metal gear.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kin posted:

Wait, so Is Venom supposed to be the crazy Big Boss from MG1 with the real Big Boss being the one you "kill" in MG2?

Yes.

edit: Also worth noting that Motherbase isn't technically the "real" Outer Heaven, either. The Outer Heaven of MG1 is a big fortress in South Africa, and Zanzibar Land is somewhere on the Chinese / Aghan / Pakistani border.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 15, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Outer Heaven wasn't in Zanzibarland. Zanzibarland is where they went afterwards.

Right, sorry, it was in South Africa.

Which is also none of the places that these precursor Outer Heavens were being set up, so they were still obviously not physically the one from MG1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kin posted:

Yes, that is exactly it.

The implication, I think, is that when "Big Boss" starts contacting you on a different frequency (and subsequently lying to you), that's Venom Snake, not the real Big Boss.

Snak posted:

Right, sorry, it was in South Africa.

Which is also none of the places that these precursor Outer Heavens were being set up, so they were still obviously not physically the one from MG1.

At this point, I'm just taking Outer Heaven as a philosophy. Wherever soldiers can be soldiers, free of national affiliation and national loyalties, that is Outer Heaven. I mean, that's not strictly how the games have ever stated it, but it makes enough sense to me that I'm just going with it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Vengarr posted:

I predicted Sahalanthropus was being animated by Mantis, but in retrospect, how kickass would it have been if Sahalanthropus was being controlled by parasites? As you blow the armor off, you start seeing organic material beneath, and you realize that it's just one giant colony of microorganisms. A superorganism.

Metal Gear Evangelion :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Harrow posted:

At this point, I'm just taking Outer Heaven as a philosophy. Wherever soldiers can be soldiers, free of national affiliation and national loyalties, that is Outer Heaven. I mean, that's not strictly how the games have ever stated it, but it makes enough sense to me that I'm just going with it.

Outer Heaven was inside us all along.

• Locked thread