Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Big Boss really liked that "Outside of Heaven" metaphor and by god he's going to have place named that come hell or high water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

At this point, I'm just taking Outer Heaven as a philosophy. Wherever soldiers can be soldiers, free of national affiliation and national loyalties, that is Outer Heaven. I mean, that's not strictly how the games have ever stated it, but it makes enough sense to me that I'm just going with it.

I mean, it obviously is. And they don't actually call Mother Base "Outer Heaven" but they talk about heaven, hell, and "outside heaven". It's clear the the idea of Outer Heaven is one that Big Boss was obsessed with trying to make a reallity, even if NONE of his attempts actually succeeded.

Vengarr posted:

I predicted Sahalanthropus was being animated by Mantis, but in retrospect, how kickass would it have been if Sahalanthropus was being controlled by parasites? As you blow the armor off, you start seeing organic material beneath, and you realize that it's just one giant colony of microorganisms. A superorganism.
After listening to all the Code Talker tapes, I was hoping things were going this direction. Given that some major characters were almost entirely animated by parasites, you have to wonder if such complex organisms are really just working as a support system for the conscious mind that is "in control" of the host body.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yes.

edit: Also worth noting that Motherbase isn't technically the "real" Outer Heaven, either. The Outer Heaven of MG1 is a big fortress in South Africa, and Zanzibar Land is somewhere on the Chinese / Aghan / Pakistani border.

Apparently Zanzibarland is in Tselinoyarsk, where MGS3 took place, except in the MG universe, they split off from Russia.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

RZApublican posted:

Metal Gear Evangelion :getin:

I'm the font

Electromax
May 6, 2007
OH is a bit less important now that it's just one of like 5 soldier colonies BB and Venom consecutively ran. It gets blown up in MG1 just like the others, it's only special because Kojima couldn't reference Mother Base when writing MGS1.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aurain posted:

The concept of Outer Heaven growing legs and walking to where it needs to be for plot relevance isnt something I would put past metal gear.

The original arsenal gear :911:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Danaru posted:

Apparently Zanzibarland is in Tselinoyarsk, where MGS3 took place, except in the MG universe, they split off from Russia.

That's actually kind of neat.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just watched that mission 51 thing on youtube and did Psycho Mantis just cure Eli of the parasite by ripping it out of him?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I just watched that mission 51 thing on youtube and did Psycho Mantis just cure Eli of the parasite by ripping it out of him?

Yes. It's not really sensible but Psycho Mantis' powers are effectively 'he can do whatever he wants' and have seen since MGS.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. It's not really sensible but Psycho Mantis' powers are effectively 'he can do whatever he wants' and have seen since MGS.

Comparing MGS to MGSV, Psycho Mantis got really weak in his old(er) age.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

For a game (and its auteur) obsessed with throwing out trivia at every occasion, it completely skips over the non-verbal communication. The language theme offers the perfect setup: words can kill, wouldn't it make sense to showcase some sign language, morse code, written speech or whatever? I am sure there are dozens of books written about the subject that are ripe for Kojima-style citing.

So many problems could have been solved if anyone gave Quiet a notepad!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

RZApublican posted:

Metal Gear Evangelion :getin:

Well, it was originally piloted by a whiny lovely nerdchild against their will...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fatherboxx posted:

For a game (and its auteur) obsessed with throwing out trivia at every occasion, it completely skips over the non-verbal communication. The language theme offers the perfect setup: words can kill, wouldn't it make sense to showcase some sign language, morse code, written speech or whatever? I am sure there are dozens of books written about the subject that are ripe for Kojima-style citing.

The R&D team can develop many things, but pencil and paper technology is forever out of reach.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

A lot of this actually depends on whether the parasites respond to subvocalization. Given how specific and powerful they were, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that simply thinking to yourself in a language would be enough to activate them. It would be incredibly hard to write without subconsciously sub-vocalizing ...

holy poo poo do you think the Codec is actually powered by parasites?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

fatherboxx posted:

Like tap codes maybe?

And no subtitles either, you have to look at the manual to figure out what everyone is saying!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

A lot of this actually depends on whether the parasites respond to subvocalization. Given how specific and powerful they were, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that simply thinking to yourself in a language would be enough to activate them. It would be incredibly hard to write without subconsciously sub-vocalizing ...

holy poo poo do you think the Codec is actually powered by parasites?

They sit on the vocal cords and reproduce when the vocal cords produce the sounds they want to hear. They don't read people's thoughts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

They tried. Ocelot says that she refuses to communicate in writing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

They sit on the vocal cords and reproduce when the vocal cords produce the sounds they want to hear. They don't read people's thoughts.

You internal monologue actually generates movement in your vocal chords.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

The concept of Outer Heaven growing legs and walking to where it needs to be for plot relevance isnt something I would put past metal gear.

Big Boss's Moving Castle

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

fatherboxx posted:

She was given other forms of communication at one point so she could try to converse with them in various ways during things like the torture, but she kept refusing any chances to "talk" with people, because ??? something something she may have wanted revenge on Venom Snake (but she never seems to implicate as much after you bring her back home). It's kind of a junk plot point that boils down to Kojima really not wanting her to talk in any form until the Navajo scene because of REASONS.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
[parasites internally]

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I still can't believe they cut being able to pilot Battle Gear in the field because it was "too overpowered".

Smoke grenades are overpowered! A Metal Gear ought to be ridiculously powerful!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Grimace posted:

She was given other forms of communication at one point so she could try to converse with them in various ways during things like the torture, but she kept refusing any chances to "talk" with people, because ??? something something she may have wanted revenge on Venom Snake (but she never seems to implicate as much after you bring her back home). It's kind of a junk plot point that boils down to Kojima really not wanting her to talk in any form until the Navajo scene because of REASONS.

I think it's just that's she's heard a lot of metal gear solid characters exposit their goals and it never seems to help any one. Like she's trying to avoid contributing to plot entropy. She's probably thinking "it doesn't matter what I communicate or how I phrase it, one of these morons will be inspired by my words to clone more metal gear parasites or some poo poo".

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I still can't believe they cut being able to pilot Battle Gear in the field because it was "too overpowered".

Smoke grenades are overpowered! A Metal Gear ought to be ridiculously powerful!

What really gets me is that when you look at the enemy force vs your own in those dispatchment, Battle Gear barely makes a difference! I was expecting it to be a 30 A dudes vs 10 of yours + battle gear = a fair fight, but it barely counts as anything in the balance of power!
It's just numbers, but seriously!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZoninSilver posted:

What really gets me is that when you look at the enemy force vs your own in those dispatchment, Battle Gear barely makes a difference! I was expecting it to be a 30 A dudes vs 10 of yours + battle gear = a fair fight, but it barely counts as anything in the balance of power!

I blame Huey for this, personally.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ZoninSilver posted:

Battle Gear is 100% loving useless and I am so disappointed. It's one of the few things I genuinely dislike.

gently caress balance, I want my god drat hovertank death bot. :(

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The battle gear adds like 7000 combat points to your deployment.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Zeke was brokenly good in Dispatch missions in PeaceWalker, which I will argue was awesome. It felt like my actions in slowly working to build the thing actually made a difference for Mother Base, and I loved it. Battle Gear is mehhh and can't be added with player input, it's only there for Dispatches where it's necessary. I hate Dispatches in TPP, they take forever and even if your soldiers are all totally rad, there's a good chance they won't come back. Probably by design, but I still don't like it. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't get why Battle Gear wasn't cut entirely honestly. Nothing would be missed and Huey is justified as working on D-Walker.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

You internal monologue actually generates movement in your vocal chords.

That's hosed up

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So is it generally assumed Otacon is such an anime nerd because Huey is literally Gendo from Evangelion?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Danaru posted:

where does that get explained? it is cool though, building his nation for soldiers on the grave of the boss/cobra unit. i wonder if he just threw some paint and dug some tunnels in grozny grad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When I was playing the Truth ending, I was really hoping for a reveal that xof didnt exist and it was from seeing big boss's fox patch in a mirror.

Obviously this doesnt make sense with xof existing in GZ, but memories or whatever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vikar Jerome posted:

where does that get explained? it is cool though, building his nation for soldiers on the grave of the boss/cobra unit. i wonder if he just threw some paint and dug some tunnels in grozny grad.

welp.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dang I hope the map being similar was intentional because that's great

pretty sure the bridge is called that because Grey Fox blows up whatsername there though

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 16, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

lets hang out posted:

dang I hope the map being similar was intentional because that's great

Here's something that will make you wonder if Kojima is legitimately crazy enough to have planned this all out from the start: in MG1 when Big Boss starts sabotaging your mission with bullshit info, all said bullshit info comes in over a different frequency. What if that was Venom Snake?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

Here's something that will make you wonder if Kojima is legitimately crazy enough to have planned this all out from the start: in MG1 when Big Boss starts sabotaging your mission with bullshit info, all said bullshit info comes in over a different frequency. What if that was Venom Snake?

I think he's just got an encyclopedic knowledge of his own canon and loves to make callbacks. He doesn't plan ahead, he just remembers where the gaps were later on and fills them in with whatever crazy thing is currently on his mind.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I both accept and dig the "Venom Snake is in MG1 Outer Heaven" at the end. Considering that was a violent coup thwarted by Solid Snake, the demon visage Venom sees makes sense.

So just treat them like normal human beings, huh Boss? Too bad one grows up to dunk on you, Venom, Eli, Ocelot, Zero, and everyone else. Solid Snake, Best Snake

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think the only time VENOM SNAKE says outer heaven is when he tells Eli "WELCOME TO OUTER HEAVEN!" and gives him a hearty back slap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Just realized that the Outer Heaven skull has a hole right where Venom's shrapnel horn was.

• Locked thread