Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MariusLecter posted:

"White" American.

A.K.A.: the original illegal immigrants and anchor babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

remember 2 or so years ago when Cheerios put out an ad featuring an interracial family and there was a shitstorm about that?

that's a shame. Maybe the backlash that's still probably going to happen will convince Tide to make a statement, though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That was actually one of the greatest plays in advertising history, because at the time Coke was taking poo poo for sponsoring the Olympic Winter Games in Russia despite the horrid anti-gay laws put in place by Putin. Then after the ad came out the people most vocally calling Coke a bunch of shits were horrible racists. The narrative flipped in 30 seconds.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deuce posted:

Although I do sometimes wonder why they'd bother to "take sides" on an issue there really isn't a reason to take sides on. They make laundry detergent. I have a hard time believing there are people out there who would change their laundry detergent purchasing habits because Tide supports gay marriage, but there are certainly people who would boycott either way, right? The "traditional marriage" crowd will fire up their million couple hundred mom march and a statistically irrelevant section of the population would buy another brand. On the flipside, if they went with some "Clean, traditional laundry for clean, traditional marriage" campaign, we'd see pro-equality folks do the same. So, a loss on either side, do the gains justify it?

But then again, marketing is basically wizardry so what the hell do I know

Exactly! They COULD, and general prudence suggests they SHOULD remain absolutely neutral, no one is demanding they take a stand, prevailing winds or not they will still take flak for doing anything but continuing as they were. Instead companies are actually promoting one side over the other. It's just a bit heart warming is all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k17dw16fuZg

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nihilarian posted:

remember 2 or so years ago when Cheerios put out an ad featuring an interracial family and there was a shitstorm about that?
that's a shame. Maybe the backlash that's still probably going to happen will convince Tide to make a statement, though.

The cheerios one was the one I remember, and I remember General Mills response was basically "go gently caress yourselves" to all the racists.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Deuce posted:

Although I do sometimes wonder why they'd bother to "take sides" on an issue there really isn't a reason to take sides on. They make laundry detergent. I have a hard time believing there are people out there who would change their laundry detergent purchasing habits because Tide supports gay marriage, but there are certainly people who would boycott either way, right? The "traditional marriage" crowd will fire up their million couple hundred mom march and a statistically irrelevant section of the population would buy another brand. On the flipside, if they went with some "Clean, traditional laundry for clean, traditional marriage" campaign, we'd see pro-equality folks do the same. So, a loss on either side, do the gains justify it?

But then again, marketing is basically wizardry so what the hell do I know

It was a small thing, but back when Macy's promoted their pro-equality stance, I decided to go shop there for some clothes instead of someplace else. I shop at Macy's anyway, but because of that good press I made the conscious decision to go there first.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

blackguy32 posted:

The cheerios one was the one I remember, and I remember General Mills response was basically "go gently caress yourselves" to all the racists.

Were they the ones who basically had some artists print out all the hate mail and use them to make a paper statue that said "Love" or something like that in a follow-up commercial?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Were they the ones who basically had some artists print out all the hate mail and use them to make a paper statue that said "Love" or something like that in a follow-up commercial?
That was Honey Maid (graham crackers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBC-pRFt9OM

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

General Mills also came out in support of marriage equality a few years back, leading to this guy doing a little light arson on their front lawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_pSRLVDVH4

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

jivjov posted:

America doesn't even have an official state language.

A 100% sincere question, but you're mostly down here in the festering hellpit that is debate and discussion for Gay rights and things directly related to Gay rights aren't you?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88 posted:

A 100% sincere question, but you're mostly down here in the festering hellpit that is debate and discussion for Gay rights and things directly related to Gay rights aren't you?

I poke around elsewhere from time to time, but this is my primary D&D thread.

As for my language comment; I do rather like to point out the really tiny yet obvious logic flaws of assholes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

jivjov posted:

I hear tell otherwise. :freep:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

jivjov posted:

As for my language comment; I do rather like to point out the really tiny yet obvious logic flaws of assholes.

Ok, you need to stop treating these people like logical rational actors. They be totally loving crazy convinced that the only thing standing between them and a horde of nig thugs andfagg gays swarming out of the post-apocalyptic hellscapes that are American cities and marching Good Straight White Christians off to concentration camps is good Cristian morals, the Spirit of Ronald Regan, and voting straight ticket Republican.

I mean, I'm strawmnning like mad here, but these people have attempted to institute poo poo like anti-sodomy laws so its obviously just not about protecting the institute of marriage. :psyduck:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88 posted:

Ok, you need to stop treating these people like logical rational actors.

I just hold on to this vain hope that there's at least one person in the teeming masses of bigots that has honestly just never thought through the whole thing and will be swayed by simple and correct logic.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

I just hold on to this vain hope that there's at least one person in the teeming masses of bigots that has honestly just never thought through the whole thing and will be swayed by simple and correct logic.

It's...it's so cute. :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mercury Hat posted:

General Mills also came out in support of marriage equality a few years back, leading to this guy doing a little light arson on their front lawn.

Hahahahahaha this is fantastic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Rights and social progress: brought to you by P&G and Johnson & Johnson. Please nurture warm associations in your mind when encountering our branded products.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hahahahahaha this is fantastic.

My google-fu is failing me, but that story has a happy ending. That guy lost his job as a real estate agent when that video went viral.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Prester John posted:

My google-fu is failing me, but that story has a happy ending. That guy lost his job as a real estate agent when that video went viral.

Did you give up on your thread? I've been looking forward to reading your take on recent events, in the context of the stuff discussed there. (No pressure or anything, I just find your perspective very interesting)

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Rights and social progress: brought to you by P&G and Johnson & Johnson. Please nurture warm associations in your mind when encountering our branded products.

I don't see it is all that different from politicians trying to stir up hatred of refugees by talking about Islam's treatment of LGBT people. Now that it's accepted and people have forgotten what happened a decade ago, they're allowed to co-opt it and pretend that it was their opinion all along. Forget anything that happened up until about 3-4 years ago, lol, that's ancient history!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Yea gently caress these guys for supporting my rights and helping normalize my identity through media.

Political Whores posted:

I don't see it is all that different from politicians trying to stir up hatred of refugees by talking about Islam's treatment of LGBT people. Now that it's accepted and people have forgotten what happened a decade ago, they're allowed to co-opt it and pretend that it was their opinion all along. Forget anything that happened up until about 3-4 years ago, lol, that's ancient history!

General Mills having a gay in a commercial: basically like a politician trying to turn away war refugees.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Prester John posted:

He actually died several days later of a heart attack, I'm not kidding.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mercury Hat posted:

Turns out this guy died of a heart attack not long after.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...lCSsnoPAbJsRAQw

E:f;b

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MaxxBot posted:

Holy poo poo, he did.
Too bad he didn't eat more Cheerios.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Okan170 posted:

Obama sure picked a weird target for one of his three freebies.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MaxxBot posted:

Poor guy hated to death.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
That poor man. Murdered by gay marriage.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

General Mills having a gay in a commercial: basically like a politician trying to turn away war refugees.

Nah they have different goals, but both are opportunistically adopting gay rights now that it has become laudable by important market shares to do so, even if they had nothing to do with the growth of these movement and themselves contribute to marginalization and subjugation of other groups through their activities and lobbying. Commercials bother me less than the politicians do, thought.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Okan170 posted:

Hey! Look whose throwing a confetti party for the dead bigot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Political Whores posted:

Nah they have different goals, but both are opportunistically adopting gay rights now that it has become laudable by important market shares to do so, even if they had nothing to do with the growth of these movement and themselves contribute to marginalization and subjugation of other groups through their activities and lobbying. Commercials bother me less than the politicians do, thought.

I just really can't find it in me to care that the people normalizing my identity through major media outlets may not be 100% altruistic saints doing it. Like, that's cool if that's something that you feel is comparable to people stirring up anti-refugee sentiment under a veneer of 'they hate gays over there' (who's even doing that, like yea I know they do the dumb 'IRAN KILLS GAYS AND OBAMA MAKES A DEAL WITH THEM' poo poo) but I'm just super happy that for the literal first time in my life it actually is profitable to show a person like me on tv as something other than a 'ha ha lookit this big flaming human being' joke.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Centripetal Horse posted:

Hey! Look whose throwing a confetti party for the dead bigot.

I'm sure there are many who are happy about the pain, and death, of others.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
oh boy a Dan Savage derail is incoming :neckbeard:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It was hosed up NPH made that ad to mock that man's death with his future vision.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh boy a Dan Savage derail is incoming :neckbeard:

Can we have have a Fred Savage derail instead?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Okan170 posted:

If god exists and has an opinion on gay marriage, I think we have some evidence of which side he's on.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Hat posted:

Also: He ROCKED that pink(?) shirt!

And in the spirit of all Freepers everywhere forever and always:

False flag?

Also and again: Forsooth he was no otter. Plus, and with much sincerity, gosh darn bless him for his Homeresque fiery antics.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It was hosed up NPH made that ad to mock that man's death with his future vision.

Neil Patrick Harris has precognition? I can buy that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Centripetal Horse posted:

Neil Patrick Harris has precognition? I can buy that.

He finally broke the secret of the brain bug.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If at first you don't succeed, keep failing, so we all have something to laugh at. (Kim Davis keeps getting her legal claims rejected)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

... a prisoner of her conscience...

Court orders Kim Davis to be lobotomized.

All's well that ends well!

• Locked thread