Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So from the more streaming side, I've been watching a lot of New Legacy inc. Mostly their wrestling stuff where they manage to break games that were apparently held together with the coding equivilent of pritt stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxun1iIvVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Nah they're just gonna do three episodes and abandon it like they do all their playthroughs.

To be fair, Arin seems to like the Metal Gear series so he'll probably stick it out.

On the other hand, they didn't even finish the intro in their first video soooooo...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Suzy's also been talking on her twitter about how she's extremely excited to play it so who knows, they might stick it out. v:shobon:v

edit: vvv he did excellent at Bloodborne, I dunno, man. He's played MGS 5 a fair bit since its release as with Bloodborne so I have more faith in his ability than usual.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 15, 2015

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Roman Reigns posted:

To be fair, Arin seems to like the Metal Gear series so he'll probably stick it out.

On the other hand, they didn't even finish the intro in their first video soooooo...

The intro is like 30 min to an hour long, be fair. But MGSV is not a very easy game and while Egoraptor has a history with the series, he is absolutely poo poo at games. My bet is they won't make it past mission 9.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dreezy posted:

The intro is like 30 min to an hour long, be fair. But MGSV is not a very easy game and while Egoraptor has a history with the series, he is absolutely poo poo at games. My bet is they won't make it past mission 9.

I've timed it and the intro really is almost exactly an hour long, assuming you don't gently caress up and die along the way. And that's just escaping the hospital; you spend another hour rescuing Miller, which is what actually unlocks Mother Base. It takes longer to get the open world really going on and you're still gradually unlocking content and abilities after the point when you'd have beaten a typical FPS.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

dreezy posted:

Arin isn't exactly poo poo at games, he just doesn't have any observational skills whatsoever.
I mean, fucker beat Ninja Gaiden.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Nah they're just gonna do three episodes and abandon it like they do all their playthroughs.

^^^^

chitoryu12 posted:

Do Chip & Ironicus count as a cute couple?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

I am so gullible. I totally thought mission j frog was for real. I totally believed General Ironicus was black. I totally fell for Chips whole "I'm working for volition" bit. Man am I a sucker!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Best JoBros

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This strikes me as relevant:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/important-win-fair-use-dancing-baby-lawsuit

quote:

Today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled that copyright holders like Universal must consider fair use before trying to remove content from the Internet. It also rejected Universal’s claim that a victim of takedown abuse cannot vindicate her rights if she cannot show actual monetary loss.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Welp, Nintendo's reign of terror over romhack videos is over. If you don't know, some videos have been actually taken down.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So what does fair use actually cover? Because I've always been annoyed by the fact that I don't monetize my videos but I still get strikes and notices as if I was; wouldn't it only make sense to do checks for videos that are making money off these rather than random mom with dancing babies?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Niggurath posted:

So what does fair use actually cover?

You're not going to get a good answer about fair use jurisprudence, especially its relation to yelling at mega man, in this thread.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

So what does fair use actually cover? Because I've always been annoyed by the fact that I don't monetize my videos but I still get strikes and notices as if I was; wouldn't it only make sense to do checks for videos that are making money off these rather than random mom with dancing babies?

All you really need to know is that YouTube's copyright system gives absolutely zero fucks about Fair Use. It literally does not factor in at all.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Jamesman posted:

All you really need to know is that YouTube's copyright system gives absolutely zero fucks about Fair Use. It literally does not factor in at all.
That seemed to be the point of the article and case though; that there is some legal standing for fair use in these cases. But yeah, silly of me to ask I suppose.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Niggurath posted:

Was it used in the context of:

1. Schoolwork and education
2. News reporting
3. Criticizing or commenting
4. Comedy and parody

and did that user:

1. Rework and use it in a different way
2. Add new meaning and make it original
3. Use it for a nonprofit purpose
4. Only use a small amount

If the answer is yes, then it was fair use.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hooray, then I'm fair use! Take that Akira Yamaoka and your screechy metal background noises.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, you'll more than likely still get strikes (corporations will just claim that they "considered" fair use before auto-DMCAing), this just makes it easier to push back if you decide you've had enough of their poo poo.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

EricFate posted:

If the answer is yes, then it was fair use.

"Fair use is a defense" meaning it's never quite "yes it is, no it isn't" until it goes to court and a judge says that.

And this is all case-by-case and judges aren't great with technology so it's kind of a crapshoot.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I have successfully defended a student video under Fair Use on YouTube before. They may not literally factor in the legal doctrine but the concept is considered.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So from the more streaming side, I've been watching a lot of New Legacy inc. Mostly their wrestling stuff where they manage to break games that were apparently held together with the coding equivilent of pritt stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AweVxT1aKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxun1iIvVs

Their charity streams are pretty great and they raised a lot of money in their last two ones for the Canadian Cancer Society & Beyond Blue respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5v8vsEPqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pMojpW9tw

Probably my favourite moments from their charity streams

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jazerus posted:

I have successfully defended a student video under Fair Use on YouTube before. They may not literally factor in the legal doctrine but the concept is considered.

Their only criteria is "if we put ads on this, will they make us any money according to the video/channel analytics" :ssh:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Like, YouTube agreed with you and said "we're removing this strike" themselves?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
When you battle a YouTube copyright strike, there's a radio button for "I believe this was under fair use". It, obviously, doesn't summon a supreme court judge, so they have their own policy of "fair use" which they apply with their own set of internal reviewers.

If they then get a DMCA strike after they thought it was OK, they let the copyright owner and poster battle it out. They've done their part of DMCA safe harbor provisions.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Too bad that there's no option saying "this claim is just wrong", all options suggest in one way or another that you are the bad person for stealing someone's stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, even after all these years I believe there is still somehow no "this claim is for the wrong thing" or "this claim is for something not in the video" option which I find very funny and at the same time very sad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If they implemented that radio button, then everybody would actually go through and submit the form, and they'd actually have some videos to manually review, because ContentID never pegs anything correctly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Iirc there isn't even an option for "this claim was not made by the actual copyright holder" which the person who has the claim imposed on them can find out very easily on their own by just looking up who owns whatever the strike is for. Any ol' dickhead can still file a claim on a video- several of my Max Payne 3 videos have copyright claims from some unrelated Brazilian company pretending to own the cutscenes on lots of different Max Payne 3 vids on Youtube.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I sent the folks over at torrentfreak (a copyright/filesharing news blog) a mail about this court case.

They replied saying "there's still some gaping holes in the decision, but we'll keep an eye on it and might write an article on it when the case reaches its conclusion."

Not sure what to take from that. We'll see.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It's cool that we're now closer than ever to achieving a world where Antonin Scalia has to watch a PewDiePie video.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If you had to show to the world at large one Let's Play video in an effort to make a good impression, which LPer would you pick?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CJacobs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Darksydephil

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you had to show to the world at large one Let's Play video in an effort to make a good impression, which LPer would you pick?
Research Indicates

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Darksydephil

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

paradoxGentleman posted:

Chip Cheezum

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

British Mario 64 guy from retsupurae

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GNU Order posted:

British Mario 64 guy from retsupurae

ElectricalBeast, yeah

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

judge reinhold posted:

It's cool that we're now closer than ever to achieving a world where Antonin Scalia has to watch a PewDiePie video.
He thought 24 was a proof of torture being good and necessary, can't wait for moral lessons he extracts from PewDiePie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

paradoxGentleman posted:

Unironically, SirRonLionheart.

• Locked thread