Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am not sure why everyone says that the intro to MGSV was so "scary". Yeah there were some supernatural elements, but it was very clearly a tutorial and never really put you in danger, outside of shootouts with totally normal soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It doesn't have to be scary to be horror.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

It doesn't have to be scary to be horror.

Man the sandwich I had for lunch is #1 contender for horror game of the year.

Sarcasm aside, horror can make you feel shocked or scared or startled or simply uneasy, but that beginning section really had none of that.

VVVV I mean if people think it's creepy that is fine, I just honestly don't see where they are coming from

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 15, 2015

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sarcasm aside, horror can make you feel shocked or scared or startled or simply uneasy, but that beginning section really had none of that.

Well. Glad we cleared that up, guys. Conclusion: NOT SCARY - final judgement passed by SA forum user, DreamShipWrecked. Next topic.

Sarcasm aside, the stories about Sahelanthropus sound great. I will have to pick this game up someday.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

VVVV I mean if people think it's creepy that is fine, I just honestly don't see where they are coming from

I blame being desensitized from viddy games and the internet in general (Monkeys in system shock 2 are no longer my freak out inducing arch nemesis after eyerolling my way past generic hybrids), but I can easily see why even conceptually the opening sequence for MGSV is crazy poo poo even without the supernatural bits.

Even if I wasn't facecamming the gently caress out while laying face down in the corpses of a dozen hospital staff and patients gunned down just because they were within a mile radius of you waking up, it's still easy to see why it would be considered "horrific".

What worries you in video games is spectacular in the moment and subjective anyways. I was worried about Solus from Breakdown more than I was about Nemesis in RE3, and at least nemesis is wearing pants. "There, I carefully made my way past triggering all the instant death mines." *Pantsless Not Sephiroth just walks through the explosions* Well gently caress. Why am I afraid of such a ridiculous loving enemy"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 15, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Section Z posted:

I blame being desensitized from viddy games and the internet in general (Monkeys in system shock 2 are no longer my freak out inducing arch nemesis after eyerolling my way past generic hybrids), but I can easily see why even conceptually the opening sequence for MGSV is crazy poo poo even without the supernatural bits.

Even if I wasn't facecamming the gently caress out while laying face down in the corpses of a dozen hospital staff and patients gunned down just because they were within a mile radius of you waking up, it's still easy to see why it would be considered "horrific".

What worries you in video games is spectacular in the moment and subjective anyways. I was worried about Solus from Breakdown more than I was about Nemesis in RE3, and at least nemesis is wearing pants. "There, I carefully made my way past triggering all the instant death mines." *Pantsless Not Sephiroth just walks through the explosions* Well gently caress. Why am I afraid of such a ridiculous loving enemy"

I suppose that does make sense. Less "Resident Evil" horror and more "spec ops the line" horror.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MGS V can do some really great horror stuff because it improved the AI a ton to make hiding more realistic. It's even got a variant of the "Last known position" mechanic from games like Splinter Cell, just without a visible silhouette to let you know where the enemies are going to be attacking. Hiding even during a gunfight feels natural and makes you really feel like a badass when you give a whole army the slip. I definitely didn't expect them to expand it even to the biggest boss fights, which often have forced arena battles in the series.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

actually, you'll find that the intro of MGSV was a walking simulator (lol)

the true horror is your fellow patient's attire, threatening to open all the time to let you witness the chasm of his buttcrack

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I suppose that does make sense. Less "Resident Evil" horror and more "spec ops the line" horror.

Yeah, people aren't making GBS threads on you for not being scared by it personally. People are making GBS threads on you for making blanket statements about "I don't see the big deal guys" about one of the better set pieces it has.

Besides, give it enough time, and we'll see posts about MGSV like the Amnesia ones we had five minutes ago be more widely acceptable, picking apart the Tutorial Horror's soldier patrol routes.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the true horror is your fellow patient's attire, threatening to open all the time to let you witness the chasm of his buttcrack

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am not sure why everyone says that the intro to MGSV was so "scary". Yeah there were some supernatural elements, but it was very clearly a tutorial and never really put you in danger, outside of shootouts with totally normal soldiers

Because people have over-reacted to pretty much every aspect of the game, because: METAL GEAR!

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I haven't reached the end of MGSV, but so far I've been enjoying (but not particularly scared by) the horror content in this game. I do have to say though that in the opening when the nurse gets garroted and the doctor just keeps on talking and you wonder if it's a hallucination or if the nurse is just dying silently behind that sheet I got pretty freaked out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

spudsbuckley posted:

Because people have over-reacted to pretty much every aspect of the game, because: METAL GEAR!

You're still bad at the game though Spuds.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

More a labored crawling, into stumbling, back into near crippled crawling, then into walking simulator.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 15, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kojima is a hack and i wish the gaming media and public would grasp that simple fact.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

kojima is a hack and i wish the gaming media and public would grasp that simple fact.
After the way the game ended you might get your wish. People are pissed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

Seems like most people are blaming Konami for that more than anything.

Kojima isn't really a hack, he... well, he makes a list of things he wants to include in a game as he thinks of them, then starts at the top and works his way down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

i dunno game still got 10s all around while including multiple embarrassing quiet scenes and another nonsensical plot full of retcons and inconsistent bullshit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dear lord.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

Everything I've read about Metal Gear sounds like a schizophrenic wrote it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The real horror is coming from inside the thread.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kojima isn't a hack. He's just not a very good writer. The Metal Gear games that most people commonly agree to be well written had Tomokazu Fukushima as co-writer but he kind of disappeared after MGS 3 so you ended up with the stories of MGS 4 and MGS V. He is a fantastic game designer and director though, one with a good attention to detail and I hope for that alone, he gets picked up or goes freelance to do what he wants to do.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Hadaka Apron posted:

This is 100% what I go in for when I play a Metal Gear game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kojima isn't a hack. He's just not a very good writer. The Metal Gear games that most people commonly agree to be well written had Tomokazu Fukushima as co-writer but he kind of disappeared after MGS 3 so you ended up with the stories of MGS 4 and MGS V. He is a fantastic game designer and director though, one with a good attention to detail and I hope for that alone, he gets picked up or goes freelance to do what he wants to do.

If I remember, Kojima really wanted MGS4 to be the final game for him so he could move on. So he just made 4 wrap up every single plot point he could think of, no matter how long it took.

Then came Peace Walker, and then he was supposed to really end the series with V and wrap up Big Boss's final chapter. It all ended up becoming inadvertently prescient, as Konami dumped Kojima Productions and will probably keep producing Metal Gear Solid games (and pachinko machines) without him.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I really like Kojima and MGS but I can absolutely see why some people can't stand it. It's very much an acquired taste and I can't blame anyone getting turned off from it.

What's odd is how far people go to defend it. I mean, the game's ending basically needs to be watched on youtube and the mp stuff is wildly broken. AI's kind of poo poo too. But I guess games like that and fan bases like that leads to such things.

Also the real horror was buying MGSV in CDN money. My sympathy to all those down under because god drat I was not expecting to pay $75 for this.

Skyscraper posted:

This is 100% what I go in for when I play a Metal Gear game.

Same, but I could never expect that to be a universal appeal. The main MGS thread doesn't really see that and it gets weird.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Dark Descent's free right now on Steam.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hadaka Apron posted:

Yeah, it's great :colbert:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Yodzilla posted:

Yep. I've been watching all of the other MGS games leading up to V and the Geckos in 4 are still terrifying. Making something sound like a cow shouldn't make it scarier but welp.

Very appropriate for the horror thread, sequel MGS Rising takes this to its logical Metal Gear conclusion. In order to get around the pesky human rights issue of pairing AIs with human tissue, many of the robotic beasts you fight are actually ran by primeate and other intelligent mammal brains working in tandem with threat suppression AIs, fueled by the aggression of the existential hell its consciousness is put through.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish the gaming media and public would grasp ur fuckin neck bitch

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Hadaka Apron posted:

That's why it's good :cool:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

spec ops the line is what kojima wishes he could write.

also is the twist about the main character in V true because lmao when that leaked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

also is the twist about the main character in V true because lmao when that leaked.

Yeah I guess, I mean pretty much every Metal Gear plays better than Spec Ops so while Kojima is making a good game he's fretting about not writing the video game adaption of heart of darkness.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahahaha omg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

y;all jokers didn't answer my question.

not too surprised the guy who's been 100 percent wrong all thread laughed at a fact about the bad writer he likes. heck i don't even like spec ops that much.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

hahahahahahahahah oh u

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

The horror Games megathread

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

I know MGSV has been brought up a few times but I just wanted to say I finished the mission Hellbound last night and the Sahelanthropus fight is terrifying, and the tension they build with musical cues and such is really great.

I tried to cheese it by hiding in a guard tower; Sahelanthropus peeked into the guard tower and then stepped through it (in a game that until now hasn't had any terrain destruction). I just about poo poo.

I managed to lose it extremely quickly because I ran the hell away and under the bridge. It just kept on walking while I ran the hell out of there. The helicopter music wasn't really helping because I kept on laughing at it

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Bogart posted:

Dark Descent's free right now on Steam.
Oh poo poo that's awesome. Get this, although if you're in this thread you probably have it already. Get everyone you know to get it then. http://store.steampowered.com/app/57300/

Nice marketing for SOMA, I forgot that's coming out in exactly one week.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Was there a thread for Outlast?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Was there a thread for Outlast?

You mean the original launch thread? Yeah there was one a long while back but it is way out of date. It may have been archived

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Good golly what the gently caress is going on in here.

Was there a thematic reason for the protagonist is Knock-Knock speaking like an Animal Crossing neighbor? Because it's really weird and pretty irritating in a game that requires me to listen attentively for clues spoken in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WatermelonGun posted:

Good golly what the gently caress is going on in here.

Was there a thematic reason for the protagonist is Knock-Knock speaking like an Animal Crossing neighbor? Because it's really weird and pretty irritating in a game that requires me to listen attentively for clues spoken in English.

It's made by the guys who made Pathologic, right? You're lucky it's even in English at all.