Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, I'll be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

quote:

to obscurities like “I Get A Little Taste Of You”
Oh man, the Z-Rock Hawaii album is just too delightful beyond words.

Tuchus. :allears:

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Holy poo poo! The Pod is loving awesome! Why did it take me so long to get around to listening to this??

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

zh1 posted:

Holy poo poo! The Pod is loving awesome! Why did it take me so long to get around to listening to this??

I used to hallucinate to that record.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I used to hallucinate to that record.

The Pod was the soundtrack to many very late nights in my late teens. Wide awake at 4:00 a.m., brains full of acid and just needing something soothing on the stereo. It'd usually be back-to-back with Live 93 by The Orb (completely unrelated to anything Ween - just mellow). I'd almost always have God Ween Satan on at some point during the peak.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 15, 2015

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
I've never done anything like that, I just like the songs. I guess I avoided it because people called it difficult and it sounded jokey to me. Should have had more faith in Ween

This is my favorite right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ms53f4HDd0

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Ok that'll be $16.07. Out of twenty. Okay. Here's your...$16.07's your change.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

zh1 posted:

I've never done anything like that, I just like the songs. I guess I avoided it because people called it difficult and it sounded jokey to me. Should have had more faith in Ween
It took me a couple of live recordings to "get" The Pod, which is kind of what happened with Pure Guava, too.

"Captain Fantasy" just kills everything in its goddamn path when played live.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

zh1 posted:

Ok that'll be $16.07. Out of twenty. Okay. Here's your...$16.07's your change.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Gener does a sweet Right to the ways and rules of the world these days.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i would like some shimmyshangos. and to start i should like a basket of shifs

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So this is probably the sort of thing that could get me strung up, but while I definitely dig the more psychotic moments in the guys' back catalog, I think the first sound of theirs that really made me sit up and take notice back in the day was the back-to-back soft-psych-rock pairing of Ice Castles and Back to Basom on White Pepper. Is there any other material, maybe lurking in stuff I might not have heard, that's got them looking at a mellower mood?

My Boss Is A Shark
Jun 2, 2011

Okay. I'm hired.

Allen Wren posted:

So this is probably the sort of thing that could get me strung up, but while I definitely dig the more psychotic moments in the guys' back catalog, I think the first sound of theirs that really made me sit up and take notice back in the day was the back-to-back soft-psych-rock pairing of Ice Castles and Back to Basom on White Pepper. Is there any other material, maybe lurking in stuff I might not have heard, that's got them looking at a mellower mood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsV8UK0IcfY

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Allen Wren posted:

The last half of Quebec is pretty much this to a T

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hollis Brownsound posted:

The last half of Quebec is pretty much this to a T

This is the right answer. Ween did plenty of great mellow tracks on their earlier albums but they don't have the same feel as to what was on the later albums.

Some mellower stuff from earlier albums:

God Ween Satan
Nicole
Old Man Thunder :what:
Puffy Cloud

The Pod
Sorry Charlie
Right to the Ways and the Rules of the World
Demon Sweat
Don't Sweat it
Laura
Moving Away
Alone (such a good song)
She Fucks Me

Pure Guava
Tender Situation
Sarah
Springtheme

Chocolate and Cheese
Tear for Eddie
Baby Bitch
Joppa Road
Don't poo poo Where you Eat

Quebec
Captain :love:
Among his Tribe
Alcan Road (I really haven't listened to this one enough but it's awesome)

I'm probably missing some stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

What haven't you heard? You said you got into them with Quebec, so you probably have that covered. I have to assume you've heard Mollusk, so suggesting It's Gonna Be Alright or Buckingham Green isn't what you're looking for. A Tear For Eddie on Chocolate and Cheese hits what you're looking for, but again, you've probably heard that.

But when you get into earlier stuff than that, it's just not as slick as White Pepper. Listen to Right to the Ways, though. You'll like that one.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

Gene's solo album Freeman

A lot of stuff from Shinola Vol 1 is good too

I Fell in Love Today
Did You See Me?
Transitions
The Rift
Someday

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 16, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, obviously some of that is stuff I've heard (oh my goooood tear for eddie), but there's definitely a lot more in places I hadn't considered (I haven't gotten around to most of the early stuff 'cos I'm a bad)

I will begin digging in at the soonest, thanks

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, obviously some of that is stuff I've heard (oh my goooood tear for eddie), but there's definitely a lot more in places I hadn't considered (I haven't gotten around to most of the early stuff 'cos I'm a bad)

I will begin digging in at the soonest, thanks

I love all 3 of GWS, Pod, and Guava, and they're all kinda different but all lo-fi. The Pod is the most psych-rock of the 3 I guess, but it definitely sounds like it was recorded on a 4 track in a bedroom. It's not going to have the polish that later stuff has. Happy hunting.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

me your dad posted:

Quebec
Captain :love:
Among his Tribe
Alcan Road (I really haven't listened to this one enough but it's awesome)

I'm probably missing some stuff.

I was actually thinking the epic suite on the end:

"Captain"
"Chocolate Town" .
"I Don't Want It"
"The hosed Jam"
"Alcan Road"
"The Argus" 4:51
"If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BANME.sh posted:

Did You See Me?

Man this song gets me.

On that topic - there used to be a pro recording video of it from (I think) Red Rocks? It was on youtube and was such a great live performance that I got a audio rip of it. Now I can't find the video on youtube or the audio of it. Got a new phone and was loading it up with music and realised I don't have it anymore. Does anyone know where to find it? Couldn't see the one I'm referring to on brown tracker.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

thepokey posted:

Man this song gets me.

On that topic - there used to be a pro recording video of it from (I think) Red Rocks? It was on youtube and was such a great live performance that I got a audio rip of it. Now I can't find the video on youtube or the audio of it. Got a new phone and was loading it up with music and realised I don't have it anymore. Does anyone know where to find it? Couldn't see the one I'm referring to on brown tracker.

When I saw DWG they opened with it. It was epic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I was actually thinking the epic suite on the end:

"Captain"
"Chocolate Town" .
"I Don't Want It"
"The hosed Jam"
"Alcan Road"
"The Argus" 4:51
"If You Could Save Yourself (You'd Save Us All)"

Argus rules.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Allen Wren posted:

Mollusk has some really great songs in this vein. I don't hear a lot of praise for "Pink Eye (On My Leg)" but I love it. And of course the title track.

How old do the Shinola tracks date? I know it's stuff that didn't make the cut from multiple albums, but I wouldn't guess any of them were older than, say, Mollusk. Also I know Deaner wanted to close Quebec with "Someday".

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Kim Smoltz is an unreleased classic in that vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

shmee posted:

Kim Smoltz is an unreleased classic in that vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65dRRa3GoM

Might be my favorite song. It's strange that they didn't think this was good enough for the album and put Pink Eye (On my leg) instead. Same with Did You See Me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyd9Dx6o94

My favorite song from Z Rock Hawaii. That guitar tone is amazing.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Might be my favorite song. It's strange that they didn't think this was good enough for the album and put Pink Eye (On my leg) instead. Same with Did You See Me.

Actually Deaner answered this on his old "Ask Deaner" site:

quote:

Strange that I get so many emails about this song, I never thought of it is anything too special but i like it. We did this song at the beach house to 16 track tape when we were recording “The Mollusk.” The synth line is played on an old Moog Synthesizer that was actually manufactured by Radio Shack. The song originally was a narrative. I was talking over it like, “Kim Smoltz, where are you now honey?” It was reading a love letter to an old fictitious girlfriend from high school. We liked the music too much to leave it like that so instead Aaron wrote the lyrics to it and that’s the version out on the web now. We left the title the same though and it makes no sense in the current context of the song. It would have fit nicely on The Mollusk I think, but so would “Did You See Me”. Things have to get cut sometimes to make an album more cohesive and that one got the axe.

Make of that what you will. The side's available on archive.org but otherwise is down.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If anyone is in to stuff from The Pod / Pure Guava / GodWeenSatan, you've gotta pick up their live release At The Cat's Cradle, 1992:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Cat%27s_Cradle,_1992

It's probably my favorite Ween release. Great live performances of stuff from those three albums and a super early version of Buckingham Green, too.

It's actually probably a good way to get in to those first couple albums if their aggressive weirdness puts you off; the live versions are nor stripped down and direct.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

If anyone is in to stuff from The Pod / Pure Guava / GodWeenSatan, you've gotta pick up their live release At The Cat's Cradle, 1992:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Cat%27s_Cradle,_1992

It's probably my favorite Ween release. Great live performances of stuff from those three albums and a super early version of Buckingham Green, too.

It's actually probably a good way to get in to those first couple albums if their aggressive weirdness puts you off; the live versions are nor stripped down and direct.

Seconding this, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDu-0kp6w9I

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah early shows are great. In addition to that the show at The Wetlands as well as The Court Tavern are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlHvxsOL0bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWt-cEHsGIA

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Holy poo poo, Deener hired Roger Water's son as his new keyboard player for DWG.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Dean on Facebook:

quote:

I don't like to tell the public what goes on behind the scenes---it ruins it i think. But so many people want to know why Glenn isn't doing the tour--it's because he got an offer to do more shows with Blood Sweat and Tears, something that happens regularly but he usually gets a substitute. The guy he had lined up backed out and Glenn has been with them longer than with us---like 30 years. And there it is. He's very upset that he's missing it for what it's worth.....he tried everything to get out of it.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Fuckin right, Glenn would rather be with (Dean) Ween. That's enough for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I was on the AV Club website, reading an article (about It Follows), which linked to another article from 2007 (about the Friday the 13th series), which itself (I have no idea why I was reading them, I've basically got no time for horror even on the best days) had, at the bottom of it, a link to the next article posted that day, which was an interview with Dean circa the release of La Cucaracha - and that was totally worth reading.

However, holy poo poo, yeah, hindsight's 20/20, but jeez, you can tell these guys were on shaky ground.

http://www.avclub.com/article/dean-ween-of-ween-2073

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Quote of the article:

quote:

DW: Aaron did a demo of "Friends" for this record—it was one of the 50 songs—and he really wanted to work with, as he says, a gay Euro DJ. It was something that was very important to him for some reason. My feeling was, this should be the first track on our record. But he felt so strongly about doing it that it was like, "Okay, let's see what happens." I figured in a million years, he would never pull it off, like find a gay Euro DJ to do it, and it only took him about five seconds to find someone. He found the guy that did the Crazy Frog stuff. Then I had to cop to it. It was the first time we ever tried that. It was sort of an experiment, I guess. Aaron got his gay Euro loving DJ song, which I take absolutely no responsibility for.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The Pod is getting a vinyl release next month for Record Store Day

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I used to listen to ween like, 20 years ago? I remember I liked Chocolate and Cheese in high school, but I just didn't listen to anything else after that. I'm not sure why, to be honest. That said, I've been reading this thread and getting into a lot of the newer stuff and I'm kinda kicking myself now for not keeping up with them. God drat, White Pepper and Quebec are incredible.

e: Actually, I think Back to Basom and Captain might end up among my favorite songs ever, god drat.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 31, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Fenrir posted:

I used to listen to ween like, 20 years ago? I remember I liked Chocolate and Cheese in high school, but I just didn't listen to anything else after that. I'm not sure why, to be honest. That said, I've been reading this thread and getting into a lot of the newer stuff and I'm kinda kicking myself now for not keeping up with them. God drat, White Pepper and Quebec are incredible.

e: Actually, I think Back to Basom and Captain might end up among my favorite songs ever, god drat.

I had the same experience. I was a massive fan starting when Pure Guava came out and was obsessed with the band. Chocolate & Cheese came out and I loved it. My tastes started to change though and I got heavily into industrial and electronic music. Ween released the country album and I remember thinking, 'Yeah, they lost me.' I remained a fan of the older stuff but never bought anything past C&C.

About eight years ago I met a dude while I was out biking and we started talking about music. He was a big fan and we became fast friends. I got back into the stuff I missed over the years and was blown away. Despite the fact that it was all new, it still felt so familiar.

I agree about Captain and Back to Basom. Captain especially. It scratches an itch. My favorite track out of the newer stuff is Argus for sure. It's the peak of what the band has ever done in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I was never a huge fan, I was more into metal and industrial even then (still am now, honestly), but I still don't know exactly why I suddenly stopped listening to ween, especially after an album that I still consider a great album today (C&C). Maybe that was it though, I was much more focused into like one or two genres at that age, and stuff like ween just didn't fit? I don't know. Now I'm old and I just listen to anything that sounds good and ...I really wish I'd have listened to a lot of this, because it's great.

Can't argue with you on the Argus. That's a great loving song. Not my favorite but it's drat sure up there.

e: is it weird that these days I actually enjoy the mellow ween songs much better than the rest? This is coming from a black metal fan :laffo:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 1, 2015