Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, I have been here since Saturday and quite like it. Far younger demographic than I expected (universities will do that I guess) but I really like the vibe. Taking the train to Montreal and Halifax today.

You should be able to find a 4Runner, possibly even a current gen in that budget range.

Also, with SUVs don't necessarily go by towing capacity as your metric for towing capability. In my experience, wheelbase will effect how well it can tow just as much.

30,000,000 ft/lbs of torque is useless if the wheelbase is 4'.

Fwiw, when I was transferred to Lethbridge I hooked a 16'' moving trailer that held my bike and tools to the 2007 4Runner I had at the time and it was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seconding the 4Runner. The Highlander won't be well-mannered at all with a trailer behind it and while the MDX powertrain is a little better suited to the task it's still not going to be happy about it. I haven't heard enough about the Touareg to comment about it beyond saying that you know exactly what maintenance is going to be like on a big expensive AWD V8 Volkswagen.
And if you get a later last-gen Runner it's not hard to find one with ~the best engine ever~ UZ. You want a UZ.
Hell, with that budget if you wanted something a little nicer you could pick up a good Lexus GX470 (leather'd up 4Runner). It'd mean you'd be Lexus People but we're not all that bad :v:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 9, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Touaregs are great aside from the maintenance nightmares. I've heard some nightmare stories like changing the water pump requires pulling the engine.

Honestly if it'll haul it go for the tried and true 4runner with the Lexus engine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My disdain for all things modern and German are fairly well defined by now.

A 4Runner with a UZ would kick all kinds of rear end. Or you could take a third gen and put in a junkyard LQ4...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Touaregs are great aside from the maintenance nightmares. I've heard some nightmare stories like changing the water pump requires pulling the engine.

Honestly if it'll haul it go for the tried and true 4runner with the Lexus engine.

Can confirm. Wife's workmate has one. Great machine when its working, but it has spent A LOT of time at the garage. She's been lucky that everything expensive (so far) has blown up under warranty. I think she's out of warranty and onto "the next time it breaks, it may get traded".

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

If you can find one, a Trollblazer SS aka the Saab 9-7X Aero could also be had for that kind of money. If not, then I will also agree with the 4Runner recommendation. What kind of trailer by the way? Have you been watching to many shows on Glamping like me? I'm getting a serious itch to grab a Boler/Scamp/Airstream knock-off and go to town with Kevlar and CF.

Edit: No Trollblazers in western Canada on Kijiji but holy poo poo, Trailblazer SS's for $15k all day long. Who wants to run 12's in a SUV?
Edit 2: Did some further digging, the Trailblazer SS's are good for towing 6600lbs with a weight distribution hitch. 4000lbs with a regular one. So it's actually a viable option.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 9, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Ugh. loving towing is so complicated. I'm reading up online and apparently the Maximum Trailer Weight rating is useless, and you should be towing well below that. There are all kinds of calculations with GVWR AND GCWR. Unfortunately the 4Runner's I can afford are only rated to 3600# so despite my love for them (I had a 96 4Runner that was awesome), they're totally out of the question. The trailer we're looking at is 26', double axle. :argh: wife won't do anything smaller :argh:

I hadn't really considered a trailblazer SS. I'll have to take a peek at it. I guess if it's running an LSx maintenance shouldn't be unreasonable.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

You could always join me on the Ecoboost train. Choo chooo! All cab styles with the 3.5L can tow 12000lbs now. They're basically giving away the 2015's at the moment. (Which is of zero help to me, since the truck I want doesn't exist anywhere in Canada.)

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm currently selling the wife on a 2010 King Ranch. :clint:

I'd love an ecoboost but they're hard to do in a supercrew for <$25k

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm currently selling the wife on a 2010 King Ranch. :clint:

I'd love an ecoboost but they're hard to do in a supercrew for <$25k

Unfortunately, you have to choose between raw leather and a 5.4 or painted bullshit leather and a 5.0/6.2/EB in the king ranch. A 2010 is the worst of everything.

I'll personally never own another 5.4.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Really? lovely. Truck won't fit in the garage anyways. This might be shifting the wife back to a more reasonable trailer and mid-size SUV.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I'll personally never own another 5.4.

"Cheryl", the work truck for the summer, is a 2007 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton V8.

What should I expect to fall off / break / puke fluids everywhere *just* as we're parking her at her home at the University of Calgary in a few days? :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wear eye protection for the first time it pops a cam phaser or spark plug out at you when you open the hood.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

"Cheryl", the work truck for the summer, is a 2007 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton V8.

What should I expect to fall off / break / puke fluids everywhere *just* as we're parking her at her home at the University of Calgary in a few days? :ohdear:

The engine really doesn't know what the gently caress is going on with itself. one bank will run too rich, one too lean, you can replace the entire timing system, plugs, coils, injectors and all you will accomplish is making the problems switch sides, with the first now running lean and the other running rich.

Then there's the infamous broken spark plug prolbem, such a huge issue that lisle made a tool specifically to remove the plugs from 5.4 3v engines

Then there's the rest of the truck. they bolted the aluminum fuel pump driver directly to the steel frame somewhere that salt just sits.

There are guys that throw thousands and thousands of dollars at them and never get it running right. I got mine running right just in time to sell it.

They'll run forever, they'll just run really really poorly forever.

e: they're also a pain in the dick to work on for no god drat reason. the o2 sensor on the passenger side would be a 5 minute fix if the cable for it didn't go 3 feet into the back of the engine bay between a 1 inch gap between the engine and firewall.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 10, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've always been a proponent of a different vehicle for different situations whenever possible. I don't really enjoy driving a truck to work everyday, so I use my car for 95% of my committing and I have an inexpensive truck for hauling and fun.

If you're not using it everyday, you can go super practical on the truck and get a durable and inexpensive trim level. Great for camping.

Do an analysis of gas cost, insurance cost, and cost of ownership for a family suv, and a good used truck. It might work out for you, and then you won't have to compromise your suv by getting something bigger than what you want / need for most situations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pretty sure I saw a silver charger hellcat downtown this morning; wasn't one of you lot, was it? :v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Pretty sure I saw a silver charger hellcat downtown this morning; wasn't one of you lot, was it? :v:

I wish. I'm seeing about one Hellcat a week in Edmonton now. Actually, never mind, daily since a guy who goes to my gym owns a white Hellcat Charger.

On another note, guess what closed yesterday at 1600 EST? The ability to order 2015 F-150's. You can't order 2016's yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I wish. I'm seeing about one Hellcat a week in Edmonton now. Actually, never mind, daily since a guy who goes to my gym owns a white Hellcat Charger.

On another note, guess what closed yesterday at 1600 EST? The ability to order 2015 F-150's. You can't order 2016's yet.

either there are 2 sublime hellcat challengers in my subdivision, or the guy that owns the 1 changes his wheels daily.

I would imagine they're waiting until all the 2015s are off the lot before they announce the 2016 pricing of "$gently caress you canada" dollars.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Hmm. I've heard the same thing, and I wish I had access to a 5.0 to compare to. All I know is that the ecoboost can smoke my friend's trucks in a race and still get better mileage.

Edit: My wife and I are looking at travel trailers semi-seriously. If we get one we'll need to decide between replacing the Forester with a nice new SUV, or getting a cheap hauler. If we do the cheap hauler, what are good options for under $3k or so? I'd like to just do a truck but we'll be taking the dogs wherever we go, so it would have to be either a crew/quad cab or an SUV.

My preference would be a Chevy but that's entirely brand loyalty and appearance. Were the 90's Fords any better?

I'm not sure how size specific you are, but I cannot recommend the Avalanche enough. It's a 4 seat, 5.5' box pickup that you can turn into a 2 seat, 8' box pickup. You can take out either or both the back wall and window, which means you can seal the bed under the tonneau cover into the cab or just run it wide open. It'll tow 7k lbs, it fits in pretty much every downtown parkade and is short enough to fit in a 21' deep garage easily. If you're going to go Trailblazer SS the gas mileage would probably be the same on the Avalanche. It sure was when I switched from my 4.3l Blazer.

Also if you get an LTZ they're better equipped than any Subaru, even modern ones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Fun fact: Kijiji has a limit to how many searches you can be email-subscribed to at one time.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fun fact: Kijiji has a limit to how many searches you can be email-subscribed to at one time.

...what's the limit?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Helped a bunch of Hells Angels blow up helium balloons for kids at a Candle vigil for the girl last night. Can't say I was expecting that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

...what's the limit?

Only 25 :(

Good thing I run my own domain and could just set up an alias.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Only 25 :(

Good thing I run my own domain and could just set up an alias.

you can do it with gmail, too.

sign up with whatever@gmail.com and w.hatever@gmail.com and wh.atever@gmail.com and they all just get sent to the same one.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Man, choosing a SUV is hard. There's so much information out there. And they're all so similar. :(

jonathan posted:

Helped a bunch of Hells Angels blow up helium balloons for kids at a Candle vigil for the girl last night. Can't say I was expecting that.

Bad people do good things sometimes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've always heard Hells Angels are generally nice towards kids and do the odd bit of charity related to children as a sort of PR move and because it makes them more tolerable as opposed to other gangs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

you can do it with gmail, too.

sign up with whatever@gmail.com and w.hatever@gmail.com and wh.atever@gmail.com and they all just get sent to the same one.

I knew about the whatever+whenever@gmail.com but didn't know they ignore periods as well. Good info to know for hijinks.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

I've always heard Hells Angels are generally nice towards kids and do the odd bit of charity related to children as a sort of PR move and because it makes them more tolerable as opposed to other gangs.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in the spirit of their charity work. That's part of a carefully crafted PR strategy. But I have no doubt that they sincerely care about kids when stuff like this happens. Most of those guys are fathers too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Even wife/child abusers can do nice things from time to time. Doesn't mean they really aren't pieces of trash.

In other news, got back from my Eastern Canada trip. Ottawa was cool, Halifax was pretty chill. But I seriously think I'll see if we can move to PEI some day. That place is so incredibly laid back and gorgeous I want to live there. There are beaches that rival Caribbean beaches all over the place and the water isn't even that cold.. at least this time of year. The cost of living is surprisingly similar to the rest of Canada and real estate is shockingly affordable.

E: Drake, what is your budget for an SUV if you don't mind sharing?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm the biggest trash of all. I showed up because a girl I'm into invited me.

Edit: the entire thing was surreal. I mean I've been to the angels toy runs in Vancouver on the back of dad's Harley when I was young, but growing up in Surrey it was pretty much just seeing very big dudes enjoying the attention by looking intimidating.

Skip 14 years and now me and some big biker are struggling with a pink helium tank trying to get it to work right.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 18, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Even wife/child abusers can do nice things from time to time. Doesn't mean they really aren't pieces of trash.

In other news, got back from my Eastern Canada trip. Ottawa was cool, Halifax was pretty chill. But I seriously think I'll see if we can move to PEI some day. That place is so incredibly laid back and gorgeous I want to live there. There are beaches that rival Caribbean beaches all over the place and the water isn't even that cold.. at least this time of year. The cost of living is surprisingly similar to the rest of Canada and real estate is shockingly affordable.

E: Drake, what is your budget for an SUV if you don't mind sharing?

~20k

Right now the front runners are a 2009ish Acura MDX, a 2013ish Ford Escape or a 2013-2014ish Hyundai Santa Fe. My preference is still the MDX because I've driven one and they're nice as hell, but the wife wants something newer with lower mileage.

The problem is that the trailer we got is actually 2200lbs dry, so a 3500lb Maximum Trailer Weight will be right on the line. I'd prefer something around the 5000lb MTW but with reasonable fuel economy. Ugh. The MDX is perfect IMO, but I can't afford one unless it's in that age range.

I've noticed Grand Cherokees are coming up in my price range and they look decent. But I'm still wary of Jeep for quality control and fuel economy. Although apparently the new pentastar engines are supposed to be good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am sure there are several people who will disagree with me, but I am still a fan of body-on-frame SUVs, especially if you are going to use them for trailer towing to any extent.

This might deserve a call:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2009-nissan-pathfinder-se-suv-crossover-price-reduced/1083550862?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

As might this, I suspect you could get it under $20K
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/nissan-pathfinder-suv-7-passenger/1096775248?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

e: Are Xterras built on frame? Might be worth a look too.
ee: Stay the hell away from Hyundai SUVs.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 19, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Eastern Canada is pretty awesome and the summers are great, but holy poo poo the winters there, especially on PEI, are hellish. Not because they're cold, but because you get like 50 feet of snow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, the winters are about the only thing giving me serious pause. I could probably get a legit transfer there if I really wanted and even the Mrs based on our whopping 3 nights there didn't say no outright, but the winters in Southern Alberta are actually pretty god drat tame with the odd freak storm exception. I think I've ridden my bike every January-Feb at least once since I lived in Lethbridge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

~20k

Right now the front runners are a 2009ish Acura MDX, a 2013ish Ford Escape or a 2013-2014ish Hyundai Santa Fe. My preference is still the MDX because I've driven one and they're nice as hell, but the wife wants something newer with lower mileage.

The problem is that the trailer we got is actually 2200lbs dry, so a 3500lb Maximum Trailer Weight will be right on the line. I'd prefer something around the 5000lb MTW but with reasonable fuel economy. Ugh. The MDX is perfect IMO, but I can't afford one unless it's in that age range.

I've noticed Grand Cherokees are coming up in my price range and they look decent. But I'm still wary of Jeep for quality control and fuel economy. Although apparently the new pentastar engines are supposed to be good.

I wouldn't want to put 5000lbs behind an escape.

You're in edmonton, right? this is going through next weekend, might end up in your price range and would definitely be good for a 5000lb trailer.

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Ef9b8993c39254fcfa3f0e926b93c2d54

the 09 MDX is rated at 15 city/20 highway, the 3.5 awd exploder is 17 city/23 highway.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 19, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Any manual Cherokees coming through the auctions in the next little bit?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Manual Cherokees have a surprisingly poor trailer towing rating. In good condition they go for batshit insane $$$ anyhow.

E: I just assumed you were thinking about Drake :saddowns:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 19, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Manuals don't hit auctions that often because they don't sell well, normally like 20 out of 1000 are manuals.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Manuals don't hit auctions that often because they don't sell well, normally like 20 out of 1000 are manuals.

Man, where the hell are they all going then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Man, where the hell are they all going then?

I would expect they're sold new at about a 10:1 ratio, 10 automatics to every manual. on kijiji, they're only about 2:1.

A manual transmission vehicle has a lot smaller market, so you have to seek out the market for the car rather than the other way around.

this right here could be a $500 car.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5E89877c24092f4f608d619606939c76e9

I can't even imagine what this will go for, but i want it.
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5E18f713a74b2e4e3c8d02c6c43efdb87f

I really wonder why this is there
http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Eb8764edc6ec4449eaa3626131397460a