Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

After a series of problems, I'm finally up and running on my lathe. Started chopping down a Bradford Pear and this is my very first finished product! It's about 3" in diameter, finished at 600 grit with linseed oil. I like that I can see mistakes and know how to improve next time. Taking off a tenon loving sucks, what's everyone's favorite method of removing one?

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Aliquid posted:

After a series of problems, I'm finally up and running on my lathe. Started chopping down a Bradford Pear and this is my very first finished product! It's about 3" in diameter, finished at 600 grit with linseed oil. I like that I can see mistakes and know how to improve next time. Taking off a tenon loving sucks, what's everyone's favorite method of removing one?

That looks excellent really although theres always room for improvement. A set of cole jaws seems to do a good job of holding things while you take the tenon off. Upside is that they also seem to work ok pushing from the inside of the bowl rather than the outside.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah I got the four-jaw Nova but it left indentations on the inside when I did an expansion grip. I tried looser but it tossed once. I'd really benefit from some sharper tools.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Aliquid posted:

Taking off a tenon loving sucks, what's everyone's favorite method of removing one?

I think Frank Howarth uses a pair of tower pincers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mds2 posted:

I seriously think the bandsaw is my favorite tool. Its just so fricken handy for everything*.

*Do not use on frozen meat.

Having worked in a meat market in my youth, I can say that a bandsaw is excellent for cutting frozen meat.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Stultus Maximus posted:

Having worked in a meat market in my youth, I can say that a bandsaw is excellent for cutting frozen meat.

I don't disagree with this, and that is where I got the idea. I worked in a grocery store meat department for a while.

It worked loving great! But...

Meat "dust" thaws really quickly and is a mother fucker to clean out of a woodworking bandsaw in the summer.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mds2 posted:

I don't disagree with this, and that is where I got the idea. I worked in a grocery store meat department for a while.

Meat "dust" thaws really quickly and is a mother fucker to clean out of a woodworking bandsaw in the summer.

Buy a $100 saw off craigslist, cut your frozen meat then sell it f or $50 without cleaning it. Surely someone would take it!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

mds2 posted:

Well that is why you buy a meat cutting bandsaw instead of a wood one. Stainless steel and sealed for hose down plus they tend to have throat depths literally the size of a cow and sliding tables you can put a slab on. Just put a VFD on the motor so you can speed it up for cutting wood.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The junk collector posted:

Well that is why you buy a meat cutting bandsaw instead of a wood one. Stainless steel and sealed for hose down plus they tend to have throat depths literally the size of a cow and sliding tables you can put a slab on. Just put a VFD on the motor so you can speed it up for cutting wood.

I'm reminded of this steam-powered sawmill with a preposterously huge bandsaw blade.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

le sigh

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Our bathroom was in need of some additional storage in a very narrow area, so I've been building this shelf/cabinet thing for the last few weeks. It's my first decently-sized woodworking project so it's been slow, and I've made heaps of mistakes even for something so simple, but there are lessons to be learnt from each of them :)

Should the edges be chamfered? Would it look weird not bevelling/chamfering the edges, and having such sharp edges all over it?

If so how would I do that? I have a #4 plane which I assume would be the best option, except for maybe the curved part which I could do with a rasp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Maybe just some fine sandpaper on a block would be better. I think it looks nice with the sharp edges so I'd just remove the tiniest bit.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've been having good results adding a small rounding with a block plane, take four or five passes at a 45 degree angle, then a pass on each of the edges you just made. A no.4 should do ok, albeit a little clunky.

I think the shelf looks nice, but I'm paranoid about sharp edge splintering.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Amazing deal on a Fein drill/driver if anyone is in the market.

https://www.toolnut.com/Fein_71160461090_ASCM18_QX_4_Speed_Cordless_Drill_p/71160461090.htm

I would buy one if I didn't already have 4 drills/drivers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I made a thing.

It's not 100% done yet I need to sand off the lie drips.

I made something similar a few weeks ago but wasn't happy with how each side was way off from symmetrical. I also used dowel /pin setup on that

This time I tried my hand with using the circle jig. If I do this again I'm going to draw everything out on the square piece first and measure where center is everywhere to make life better.

Also did mortise and tenon, it was a callable because I was dealing with angles and using a fence instead of putting it on a table.. my next build will be more of a box, and the mortise and tenon will be quit a bit easier to do.

Top down of mortise and tenon.

Whole thing.

In action.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Great work!

I'm surprised it can hold Amy Schumer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My 2.5 year old daughter actually climbed in it and I was waiting for it to pop apart like in a cartoon before i got her out and explained it was for her dolls but it held her.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Have been relatively uninspired recently, so I knocked out a project last Sunday just to get things moving again. I have a ton of spalted maple left over from the coffee table project a while back, and needed a tray to carry barware/snacks between the basement and the kitchen.

Bottom is a solid piece of maple cut off a larger slab set in a 1/4" dado. It actually has a pretty bad cup to it, so I just kinda forced it in there, we'll see how it lasts! The ends are just doweled together. Just a single coat of Danish oil on it at the moment, maybe some paste wax on it later.

It was one of those rare projects that didn't have any frustrating stumbling blocks along the way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

swampface posted:

Have been relatively uninspired recently, so I knocked out a project last Sunday just to get things moving again. I have a ton of spalted maple left over from the coffee table project a while back, and needed a tray to carry barware/snacks between the basement and the kitchen.

Bottom is a solid piece of maple cut off a larger slab set in a 1/4" dado. It actually has a pretty bad cup to it, so I just kinda forced it in there, we'll see how it lasts! The ends are just doweled together. Just a single coat of Danish oil on it at the moment, maybe some paste wax on it later.

It was one of those rare projects that didn't have any frustrating stumbling blocks along the way.

I've been thinking about tackling a project like this. I'm curious -- what method did you use to cut the holes for the handholds? Coping saw? Drill + chisel?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been thinking about tackling a project like this. I'm curious -- what method did you use to cut the holes for the handholds? Coping saw? Drill + chisel?

I did mine with a drill press for the 2 sides of the hole then used a jig saw to cut out the middle.

I clamped the 2 side pieces together when I did the handholds so they would end up identical.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I used a 1 1/8" forstner bit (just happened to be the biggest one I had), then just sanded it with a spindle sanding drum on my drill press. Someday I will get a proper oscillating spindle sander dammit.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I clamped the 2 side pieces together when I did the handholds so they would end up identical.

I put a piece of painter's tape on each end piece, then a line of super glue between them and glued the boards together. They hold real well and come apart pretty easy with a putty knife. It's pretty convenient to cut, drill, and sand as if they were a single piece.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I asked a blacksmith friend of mine to make a holdfast for me, and he made me a goddamned Roubo. Wood will be held, firmly.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Free Market Mambo posted:

I asked a blacksmith friend of mine to make a holdfast for me, and he made me a goddamned Roubo. Wood will be held, firmly.

That's awesome. He could make a pretty penny selling those on various woodworking sites. I'd buy one.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Nice! :v: My pair from Gramercy have held up nicely, on the topic of holdfasts. Got a pair for $30 and haven't had any snags!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Jadus posted:

This looks really nice! Would you happen to know where I could get plans to build it? It's almost exactly what I'm looking for in a bedroom nightstand.

Hey thanks. I don't really have plans, I did the design myself and all I drew was a scale drawing showing the front and side views. If you think that will help I can scan it and post it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I have a super-novice question about a probably bad design that sounded like a good idea in my head before I started it. I had a crappy piece of cedar post left over from something else and wanted to make a quick side table out of it by turning it into a box.

The back two sides are screwed to the post, and I'm going to slot joint 2 boards onto the front to make 4 sides, and just build it in layers from the bottom up. Is it safe to glue the layers edge to edge to make a solid wood box, or is it going to break apart when the wood tries to expand and shrink?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I got an odd question. Recently I was asked to make a wooden urn out of some old mahogany for my wifes grandmother (she is in hospice care and will go any day). The wood she gave me was from her late husbands shop and has been sitting in a basement for 20+ years.

The urn is complete, and I have a LOT of wood left over. 2.5 10 foot boards left. I was thinking I could use the rest to make the family some keepsakes, but I was wondering is this kind of wood safe for cutting boards or other food related items? It's quite old. Sat in a basement in a house with cats for years.

I don't think the cats peed on it or anything, there is no water damage, but it was quite dusty and had cat hair on it. I put the boards through the plainer and they seem pretty good. However almost too dry... can wood get too dry? I feel like it splinters and tears out way more then most wood I buy.
The edge grain seems fine, but I made an end grain cutting board with some maple to test and the end grain has a lot of little holes in it. So it might be useless already because of that, but I'm gonna sand it and finish it tonight and see. It's already glued up so I may as well finish it.

Thoughts on the safety and dryness?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I wouldn't use mahogany for a cutting board. The end grain is porous, as you said, which could harbor bacteria if the board were used regularly.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Mahogany is too soft and porous for cutting boards, but it still 'works'. It won't last as long and I'd probably avoid cutting meat/poultry/fish on it unless you're very diligent on cleaning it. With that much mahogany left, cutting boards wouldn't be my first choice though. How wide are the boards?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I'll have to come up with something else then, thanks! I'll finish the one I made and just recommend it's used as a serving tray or something, not an actual cutting board. Best to be safe.

The boards are about 7" wide and 3/4" thick.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leave the boards to sit in a regular aerated space for a few days to rehumidify. Maybe you could get a sideboard out of that, mahogany is primo furniture material.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cutting boards are a scrap wood project. It's insane to consider using those boards for that, even if mahogany were the best choice for cutting boards which it's not.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

wormil posted:

Cutting boards are a scrap wood project. It's insane to consider using those boards for that, even if mahogany were the best choice for cutting boards which it's not.

Fair haha. I was just trying to think of some smaller projects I could use as family keepsakes, considering the origin of the wood. Luckily the sample one I made was mostly from offcuts used in making the urn box.
I'll put it aside for now till I come up with a good idea. Someone mentioned jewelry boxes, but I think I'd only get a couple out of the stock I got.
I hadn't mentioned the idea to anyone, so maybe I'll just try and make something larger for the wife as her own keepsake.

As an aside, what's a good hardwood alternative that's a similiar colour to mahogany I can use for a cutting board? I like the look of the one sample one I did make.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Scored a barely used Delta drill press off Craigslist yesterday for $50.

Now to build more bench space to house it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

As an aside, what's a good hardwood alternative that's a similiar colour to mahogany I can use for a cutting board? I like the look of the one sample one I did make.

eucalyptus.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

teak?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks I'll check those out.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Hey thanks. I don't really have plans, I did the design myself and all I drew was a scale drawing showing the front and side views. If you think that will help I can scan it and post it.

If you wouldn't mind I'd appreciate it.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Holdfast update: It is glorious and my benchhook has never been happier, I want another one. I've been talking to the smith about the potential of producing more for sale, but he's a bit uncertain about the business aspect of things and even how much to charge for them, and sales would most likely have to take place through the internet, given the area's low population density.

I'm finishing my stupidly-overbuilt microwave table, and I'm so proud of the piney little bastard. I took some design concepts from a roubo workbench and just shrunk it down. Some rookie mistakes were made in the process, but it should come out looking decent. I'll have some pictures by the end of the week, inshallah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Free Market Mambo posted:

Holdfast update: It is glorious and my benchhook has never been happier, I want another one. I've been talking to the smith about the potential of producing more for sale, but he's a bit uncertain about the business aspect of things and even how much to charge for them, and sales would most likely have to take place through the internet, given the area's low population density.

I'm finishing my stupidly-overbuilt microwave table, and I'm so proud of the piney little bastard. I took some design concepts from a roubo workbench and just shrunk it down. Some rookie mistakes were made in the process, but it should come out looking decent. I'll have some pictures by the end of the week, inshallah.

You could always do an Etsy shop -- only list the stock you've got with little commitment to make it a constant product supply.