Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Origami Dali posted:

What are some good movies that deal with the darker aspects of sexuality? I've seen the stuff from von Trier (seeing Nymphomaniac prompted this request) and Gaspar Noe, as well as some of the stuff from Cronenberg and Lynch which fits the theme. Seen Last Tango in Paris and Eyes Wide Shut. The Piano Teacher is also a favorite. I've heard decent-to-terrible things about the work of Catherine Breillat, but haven't seen any of it. And that's about it. Is there anything really great I'm missing out on?

Nekromantik is pretty drat dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Nekromantik is pretty drat dark.

Don't forget Nekromantik 2, Deadgirl, Corpse Mania, Love Me Deadly, Aftermath, and The Corpse of Anna Fritz

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Origami Dali posted:

What are some good movies that deal with the darker aspects of sexuality? I've seen the stuff from von Trier (seeing Nymphomaniac prompted this request) and Gaspar Noe, as well as some of the stuff from Cronenberg and Lynch which fits the theme. Seen Last Tango in Paris and Eyes Wide Shut. The Piano Teacher is also a favorite. I've heard decent-to-terrible things about the work of Catherine Breillat, but haven't seen any of it. And that's about it. Is there anything really great I'm missing out on?

Secretary is the classic "intro to bdsm 101" movie. (great date film, no sarcasm)

And yeah, Lolita and Don Juan both count, although in very very different ways.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who thinks Catherine Brelliat is decent-to-terrible?

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Origami Dali posted:

Hundu recommended Trouble Every Day to me a few months ago and that thing refuses to leave my brain for long.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
wrong thread

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Origami Dali posted:

Sex, Lies, and Videotape. Up on Netflix in the UK, too

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Origami Dali posted:

Salo...No I'm joking, do not see that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wow, that's a lot of recommendations. And I've actually seen a lot of them:

everybody posted:

Secretary, In The Realm of The Senses, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover [and other related Greenaway, e.g., 8 1/2 Women], Happiness [and other Solondz], Mysterious Skin, Closer, Lolita [both versions], Nekromantik 1 & 2, Deadgirl, Aftermath, Sex Lies & Videotape, Salo

I'll definitely check out the rest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who thinks Catherine Brelliat is decent-to-terrible?

Well..

HP Hovercraft posted:

Watch Fat Girl by Catherine Breillat, it's a good intro to her work and quite a doozy.

PTizzle posted:

Breillat is pretty awful imo

These two quotes are a good representation of the general opinion I've read about Breillat. I'll probably watch Fat Girl and a couple more.

Zaphod42 posted:

Secretary is the classic "intro to bdsm 101" movie. (great date film, no sarcasm)

Truth. Got laid on a first date while watching this.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Origami Dali posted:

What are some good movies that deal with the darker aspects of sexuality?

Seconding Shame.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm in the market for some more extreme yet thoughtful horror. Hundu's suggestion earlier this year of Trouble Every Day has strongly lingered with me (it's still probably my favorite of all the Denis I've watched), and I just got done with Martyrs and it also had a sophistication and somewhat shocking sensitivity behind the pain that I could get behind. Any others worth watching?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hellraiser?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Seconding Shame.

Yeah Shame is fantastic.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciate the suggestion, but I hate all the Hellraisers I've watched (1, 2, and a handful of sequels). I'm kinda having trouble articulating just what it is I'm looking for. Maybe something less grand guignol, or overtly metaphysical in some way (since Pinhead et. al. are basically interdimensional travelers). There was this evocative yet grounded approach in Martyrs and Trouble Every Day I really responded to that's not quite as over-the-top as Hellraiser (or something like Hostel).

I'm kind of on fresh ground with this kind of horror so I hope I'm being clear.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
How about Audition then?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

So I'm in the market for some more extreme yet thoughtful horror. Hundu's suggestion earlier this year of Trouble Every Day has strongly lingered with me (it's still probably my favorite of all the Denis I've watched), and I just got done with Martyrs and it also had a sophistication and somewhat shocking sensitivity behind the pain that I could get behind. Any others worth watching?
Some other French horrors you should see are Twentynine Palms, Sombre, Calvaire, ummmm... Eyes Without a Face.

Might as well watch Lars von Trier's Antichrist if you haven't.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

HP Hovercraft posted:

Some other French horrors you should see are Twentynine Palms, Sombre, Calvaire, ummmm... Eyes Without a Face.

Might as well watch Lars von Trier's Antichrist if you haven't.

I love Antichrist, and I've been needing to get to Eyes Without A Face for a long time, so that recommendation's in good company with the rest. Thanks!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

How about Audition then?

I've seen and love that too. Thank you for still trying, and actually talking through this I'm more familiar than this kind of horror than I thought.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Okay then American Mary? It's non-mystical, pretty loving horrific and has a lot of its conflict driven by emotions.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Perhaps the proper cut of Dust Devil?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I hate all the Hellraisers I've watched (1, 2, and a handful of sequels). I'm kinda having trouble articulating just what it is I'm looking for. Maybe something less grand guignol, or overtly metaphysical in some way (since Pinhead et. al. are basically interdimensional travelers). There was this evocative yet grounded approach in Martyrs and Trouble Every Day I really responded to that's not quite as over-the-top as Hellraiser (or something like Hostel).

I'm kind of on fresh ground with this kind of horror so I hope I'm being clear.

Maybe The Tenant

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Thank you all for the input. On the Polanski front I've only watched Rosemary's Baby so The Tenant will let me segue into Repulsion as well. Same for Dust Devil since I haven't watched Hardware and after watching Lost Soul I realized I need to get on some of Richard Stanley's stuff. Plus I just saw a description that reads, "Tarkovsky on acid"?

Freaking sold.

And Humbug thank you for your continued suggestions, I've actually had American Mary on my Netflix list for a few months now so I think that'll be the first thing I watch post-work today.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh, and might try Hour of the Wolf

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Simple question: If I was to watch exactly one of Jackie Chan's old Hong Kong movies, which one should it be? I've already seen Drunken Master 2, but that's about it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

ProfessorProf posted:

Simple question: If I was to watch exactly one of Jackie Chan's old Hong Kong movies, which one should it be? I've already seen Drunken Master 2, but that's about it.

Police Story is definitely my favorite.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There are a lot of great options to choose from. The Young Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, and the original Drunken Master are my favourites of his early films. The fight choreography isn't as fantastic as in some of his later works, but they're still a lot of fun to watch, and the sheer amount of abuse Jackie's body takes in them is insane.

From the 80s, you have Armour of God (Indiana Jones with martial arts), Project A (pirates), Police Story (cops), and my personal favourite, Wheels on Meals (fast food business). There's also Dragons Forever, which overall isn't quite as good as the others, but is worth watching for the incredible final fight. And Miracles is fun if you want to see him in something that's less focused on action.

You've already seen his best work from the 90s, but Who Am I is extremely good as well.

If you want more suggestions, check out the martial arts thread. There's quite a few knowledgeable posters there who can help you out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ProfessorProf posted:

Project A or Wheels on Meals if you want the Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao added fun. I really like Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, it is stupid and fun.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Salo...No I'm joking, do not see that.

No, do it you chickenshit.

marblize
Sep 6, 2015

Might as well go see Goodnight Mommy if it's playing near you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Zesty Mordant posted:

No, do it you chickenshit.

No, no, don't watch Salo unless you're with a group of people and you're all tripping.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ProfessorProf posted:

Police Story is one of the best action movies ever made.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What are some really good modern murder mystery movies? I'm thinking Zodiac, procedural case-solving type stuff. I recently saw A Walk Among the Tombstones and it was passable and sparked the interest. Not looking for comedy stuff or snappy noir, so more Se7en and less Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

What are some really good modern murder mystery movies? I'm thinking Zodiac, procedural case-solving type stuff. I recently saw A Walk Among the Tombstones and it was passable and sparked the interest. Not looking for comedy stuff or snappy noir, so more Se7en and less Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Not murder per say, but you'll love Prisoners

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Origami Dali posted:

Memories of Murder

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

The first season of True Detective, if you don't mind watching eight great hours of television. There is certainly some comic relief along the way, but it's pretty dark and generally awesome.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Do any of those 50s & 60s Italian sword and sandal movies have decent remasters? Any of the good ones?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I re-watched Krull and it made me want to find some similar films. Fantasy is optional, but what I'm looking for is a sort of silly or "B" concept that's technically polished and presented very confidently.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I re-watched Krull and it made me want to find some similar films. Fantasy is optional, but what I'm looking for is a sort of silly or "B" concept that's technically polished and presented very confidently.

Try the 1999 version of Beowulf with Christopher Lambert: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120604/

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Try the 1999 version of Beowulf with Christopher Lambert: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120604/

Will do straight away.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Willow, Deep Rising, Predator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Willow, Deep Rising, Predator

All three are great for wildly different reasons. Jean Marsh is the boss.

• Locked thread