Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The link about the campground murders posted earlier reminded me about this horror from my neck of the woods. The Oklahoma Girl Scout murders. It's basically the exact nightmare scenario that every parent worries about when sending their kids off to camp that totally never happens, except this time it did. In 1977 three girls, between ages 8 and 10, were abducted from their tent during a thunderstorm on the first night of summer camp in a fully occupied campground and raped and murdered in the woods without anything ever raising an alarm. No one was ever convicted of the crime. The campground was, as you'd expect, shuttered permanently pretty much immediately thereafter.

The really creepy and unnerving part is this: "Less than two months before the murders, during an on-site training session, a camp counselor found her belongings ransacked, her doughnuts stolen, and inside the empty doughnut box was a disturbing hand-written note. The author vowed to murder three campers. The director of that camp session treated the note as a prank and it was discarded."

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

The link about the campground murders posted earlier reminded me about this horror from my neck of the woods. The Oklahoma Girl Scout murders. It's basically the exact nightmare scenario that every parent worries about when sending their kids off to camp that totally never happens, except this time it did. In 1977 three girls, between ages 8 and 10, were abducted from their tent during a thunderstorm on the first night of summer camp in a fully occupied campground and raped and murdered in the woods without anything ever raising an alarm. No one was ever convicted of the crime. The campground was, as you'd expect, shuttered permanently pretty much immediately thereafter.

The really creepy and unnerving part is this: "Less than two months before the murders, during an on-site training session, a camp counselor found her belongings ransacked, her doughnuts stolen, and inside the empty doughnut box was a disturbing hand-written note. The author vowed to murder three campers. The director of that camp session treated the note as a prank and it was discarded."

Holy poo poo this is as close to a horror film as reality gets

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't ever want to get into a practical joke pissing match with whoever that was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, if we're gonna talk about camp murders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bodom_murders

Nothing too weird, just your run of the mill triple murder by an unknown party who was never caught.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, if we're gonna talk about camp murders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bodom_murders

Nothing too weird, just your run of the mill triple murder by an unknown party who was never caught.

You know your investigation is in trouble when one of your primary suspects is Hans Assmann.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HonorableTB posted:

Wyntyr, I was born and raised in LaGrange and I never heard about any of that. We did have our own spooky stuff though, like notorious psychic/"seer" Mayhayley Lancaster just north of us. I can do a write up about her if anyone's interested. She was a very old woman who was involved in a police investigation and despite not being involved in any way, told the detectives exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims. The whole story is very creepy because she knew about things she couldn't possibly have known.

If anyone has PMs, someone should hit this dude up and tell him to post the goddamn story!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Frostwerks posted:

If anyone has PMs, someone should hit this dude up and tell him to post the goddamn story!

There's information about her and the cases floating around the internet. This type of story is always less mysterious once you get the details, because there's no such thing as someone knowing things she couldn't possibly have known. The evidence of this is: she knew those things. It's nearly always, "She couldn't possibly have known these things about the investigation, even though her brother was lead detective on the case," or, "She took them right to the bodies," when she took them to a lake and said, "Eh, they're somewhere withing five miles of here."

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Someone disappears in a coastal area "Uh, I see water, yeah, he's in the vicinity of water", police and search groups have searched 4 out of 5 grids "Uh I sense that she's somewhere like (grid 5)" etc, etc. This then gets massively overreported by eager media and word of mouth.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Imagined posted:

In defence of the camp director - what are you supposed to do at that point? Most threats are hoaxes and an unknown person threatening to murder three campers sometime isn't anything to go on.

(And how does someone get 3 children out of their tent - which is 80 metres from the counsellers tent - and into the woods?)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

outlier posted:

(And how does someone get 3 children out of their tent - which is 80 metres from the counsellers tent - and into the woods?)

It could very possibly have been somebody close to one of the kids.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

outlier posted:

In defence of the camp director - what are you supposed to do at that point? Most threats are hoaxes and an unknown person threatening to murder three campers sometime isn't anything to go on.

Even if they thought it was a prank they should have a duty of care to report it just in case. If a teacher found a note like that in their school they could be severely disciplined for not reporting it even if nothing happened. If something did happen they'd be in deep poo poo.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

outlier posted:

Kids are pretty dumb and trusting for the most part, and it's not impossibly difficult for someone to pretend to be a camp counsellor playing a trick on the other kids. "Let's sneak into the woods and make spooky noises outside their tents!"

Alternatively, threats of violence tend to work quite well when made by an adult. Admittedly grim but not a massive leap of logic.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tibor posted:

Even if they thought it was a prank they should have a duty of care to report it just in case. If a teacher found a note like that in their school they could be severely disciplined for not reporting it even if nothing happened. If something did happen they'd be in deep poo poo.

Keep in mind this happened in a totally different era from today.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chichevache posted:

"Back in my day, you could joke about a brutal murder, and the kids just laughed it off and went back to playing on the train tracks." :bahgawd:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Not sure if I read it in this thread or not, but there was a story about a woman who went missing, and (I think it was) years later, her body was found behind a dresser in her home.
Does this sound familiar to anybody? She had somehow fallen behind her dresser and gotten stuck and nobody found her there for a long while.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Zombie Guy posted:

Not sure if I read it in this thread or not, but there was a story about a woman who went missing, and (I think it was) years later, her body was found behind a dresser in her home.
Does this sound familiar to anybody? She had somehow fallen behind her dresser and gotten stuck and nobody found her there for a long while.

You might be thinking of Mariesa Weber, who fell behind a bookcase, got trapped, and asphyxiated. She was only missing for two weeks, though.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Yeah that's the one, thanks.

I think I got the time span confused with that other woman who died in her apartment and nobody noticed for something like 2 years because her bills and rent were on auto-pay from her bank account.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think I got the time span confused with that other woman who died in her apartment and nobody noticed for something like 2 years because her bills and rent were on auto-pay from her bank account.

There was also that woman who died while wrapping Christmas presents and wasn't discovered for 3 years, and there was someone else who died in her garage and wasn't found for 5 years or something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Zombie Guy posted:

This has always been one of my favourite unnerving stories - I lived nearby at the same time as her corpse rotted, used to get a bus that went underneath her window.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent

Here's an excellent documentary about how no-one noticed a young, popular woman with friends and family had died: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dreams-of-a-life/on-demand

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, that's a fair point.

Edit: here's an interesting Longform article that ties together the idea of women disappearing and campers getting done in:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/12/30/how-could-woman-just-vanish/CkjirwQF7RGnw4VkAl6TWM/story.html

Tibor has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Sep 15, 2015

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
So I made a post in this thread several months ago about Mayhayley (pronounced in the Southern fashion of Muh-HAY-lee) Lancaster, an old woman who was said to have supernatural powers. I'd honestly completely forgotten about making that post, so in penance, here's the story of an old woman who was involved in a police investigation and, despite not being involved in the crime in any way, told the police exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims.

This story took place in Georgia. Coweta County, to be specific, in 1948. The city of Newnan is the county seat in Coweta, just north of my hometown of LaGrange. An old woman named Mayhayley Lancaster grew up in Heard County, GA, and lived there her entire life - another of the neighboring counties. Heard County doesn't have much there. No real cities to speak of, just a lot of farm land and a few incorporated towns. Mayhayley was a lawyer, a political activist, a midwife, and a teacher. She was born in 1875 and died in 1955, and was most well known for having participated in two of Georgia's most high profile murder trials, involving defendants Leo Frank (in Marietta, GA) and John Wallace (Coweta County). She was involved in Frank's defense as an attorney and, the concern of this story, the Wallace case as a prosecution witness.

You may have heard of the Wallace trial in the book "Murder in Coweta County", though it's unlikely anyone outside of Georgia would have ever heard of this case. It was about a man, John Wallace. Wallace was a supremely wealthy landowner in Meriwether County, GA (a neighboring county to Heard and my home county of Troup) and basically acted as the proverbial Count within Meriwether. He owned everything and was the wealthiest man in the county by far; even the sheriff, a man named Hardy Collier, was under his control. Wallace had sharecroppers, as was common practice at the time for wealthy, large land owners. One of Wallace's sharecroppers was a man named Wilson Turner, who was trying to make some extra cash on the side by bootlegging without Wallace's permission and using Wallace's land and materials. Bad move. Wallace found out and promptly fired Turner as a result, and in retaliation Turner stole two of Wallace's cows. Sounds like a pretty minor, open and shut thing right? Turner was found and arrested in Carrollton, GA (a small, but relatively sizable town in Carroll County, north of Coweta County).

After his arrest, Turner was to be transferred from the Carrollton Jail to the Meriwether County Jail in Greenville, GA. During the process of the transfer, Mr. Wallace was witnessed by numerous people taking out his anger on Turner, pistol whipping the man so hard that the gun fired, killing Turner. Note that this was not witnessed by any police or anyone in authority...or, if it was, Wallace's prominence and influence intimidated or bought their silence. Turner's body was at first hidden on Wallace's immense property, then disinterred and burned in a pit with the ashes and fragments later being scattered in a stream.

Since the actual act of murder happened in Coweta County, the crime was under the jurisdiction of Lamar Potts, the county sheriff. Potts was not under Wallace's control and he took particular umbrage at Wallace's attempts to buy him off. Potts and his deputies searched for Turner's body for days until an informant told them what had happened. The informant was Mayhayley Lancaster, a woman who lived two counties away and had nothing to do with this case. She told the police investigators that a man had been brutally killed, and that his body had been burned and scattered. The police initially wrote her off as just a crazy old woman, until they started hearing stories of her having...powers. Rumors, really. What did the police hear?

The stories about Lancaster's fortune telling were popular, and everyone knew what she did and took her advice and words very seriously. In a modern account, one woman was writing out her memoirs within the last few years, and she reported her then-young grandmother going to see Mayhayley to have her fortune told. This particular story happened in the early 1920s. Mayhayley told the woman that she would have three children, a son followed by two daughters. At the time, the woman's grandmother was bragging that she'd fooled Mayhayley, since she only had two children at the time - a son, and the woman's mother. Then, it turned out, there was a surprise baby sister on the way a short time later. Mayhayley got the number of children right, and even got the names of the first two correct and was just a little off on the name of the third (the woman's mother reported that the grandmother changed the name to spite Mayhayley). Another story of her ability to "know" things was the story of a man named John William Pyles, who was searching for Confederate General McIntosh's hidden stash of gold in Carroll County. Mayhayley told the men exactly where to dig, and the men recovered over $60,000 worth of gold in that stash. It seemed everyone had a story involving Lancaster, or knew of someone who did. These stories convinced the sheriff and his deputies that they should give her another listen, so they went back.

Mayhayley told the sheriff and his men that Turner was killed in a savage way. When pressed for information, Lancaster looked pained and started sobbing, telling the policemen that her skin burned and she felt like she was on fire. She convulsed a bit, apparently having a seizure. The police called for a doctor and stayed during the doctor's exam, and when the doctor left he asked why he had even been called as it was well known in the local community that this was to be expected when Mayhayley "saw" things. Returning the next day, the police continued talking to the old woman. She told them that Turner had been burned, and that she felt very strongly that the man's remains were on the Wallace property. She told them to look for a burned tree stump, and they would find what they were looking for. With this knowledge, the police left.

Once on Wallace's property, the sheriff and his men searched and found what looked like bone fragments near the stream where Turner had been scattered. Acting on Mayhayley's information, the men found what looked like a charred stump. The police ordered a dig, where they uncovered Turner's charred, blackened skull peering back at them from the base of the stump, in the roots. More of his bones were found there, and a search of the stream turned up larger bone fragments. After Wallace's arrest and trial, the sheriff went back to Mayhayley and asked how she could have possibly known about this, and her response is well known to the natives of my hometown and the surrounding areas:

"He who has eyes to see will always find what he's looking for"

HonorableTB has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Sep 15, 2015

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

That poo poo happens all the damned time. I thought I remembered riding the monorail at Epcot when I was a kid, but my parents said it was broken everytime we were there. Memories are often wrong.

no you were there but your parents suppressed the memories because of the smell

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks to Longform I found article courtesy of the Texas Monthly. A really bizarre situation where a teenager disappears in the 80's only to be found attending school on the other side of the country in the late 90's. Everything about this story is sad, especially the ending. It really brings into focus the lovely state of mental health care in the states.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Thanks to Longform I found article courtesy of the Texas Monthly. A really bizarre situation where a teenager disappears in the 80's only to be found attending school on the other side of the country in the late 90's. Everything about this story is sad, especially the ending. It really brings into focus the lovely state of mental health care in the states.

The whole thing's a depressing read, but the one thing I couldn't get over was how the hell did a woman in her mid to late twenties pass herself off as a 16-19 year old girl long enough to get a diploma?
I mean, sure people show age differently, but :psyduck:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

xoFcitcrA posted:

The whole thing's a depressing read, but the one thing I couldn't get over was how the hell did a woman in her mid to late twenties pass herself off as a 16-19 year old girl long enough to get a diploma?

A couple of them, even. She got away with being 16 to 19 from like 1986 - 2001. I'm pretty sure there was a Law & Order episode about her.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

xoFcitcrA posted:

It's not all that shocking that a person in her mid-20s could pass for a teenager, even over an extended period of time. In her case, however, there is what appears to be a school photo where she is clearly a grown woman cosplaying as a kid. On the other hand, there are a few others where she looks like she could totally be a teenager.

Here is an interesting comment I found on one of the sites discussing the story:

quote:

I was actually Treva’s caseworker back in Texas in the late 90’s. She was, and I imagine still is a very sick woman. She stayed at the emergency youth shelter I helped run for almost a year. The part of the story that get’s lost, I think, is that this girl was diagnosed with a serious mental health disorder while staying at our shelter but ran away before we could get her the intense help she needed. When she was arrested in Washington state I offered the local authorities information on where they could obtain the psychiatric information from our work and they blew me off. I’m not kidding, the detective said, “ah, there ain’t nothing wrong with her except she doesn’t want to work.” Sad

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

xoFcitcrA posted:

There were definitely a few people in my highschool class that could've passed for 30s. I remember one dude who was huge and was balding that basically could've passed for a middle-aged teacher. Like you said, some people just age extremely different than others. I know plenty of people in their mid 20s-30s that could pass for high schoolers without too much suspicion

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

titties posted:

A couple of them, even. She got away with being 16 to 19 from like 1986 - 2001. I'm pretty sure there was a Law & Order episode about her.

Yup.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Madkal posted:

You really need to watch The Imposter, a documentary with a similar premise.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Madkal posted:

TM carries a fair bit of good true crime. An exploration of their archive is warranted.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

So I made a post in this thread several months ago about Mayhayley (pronounced in the Southern fashion of Muh-HAY-lee) Lancaster, an old woman who was said to have supernatural powers.

She didn't have supernatural powers but it was an interesting read anyway.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

outlier posted:

TM carries a fair bit of good true crime. An exploration of their archive is warranted.

Anything by Skip Hollandsworth is pretty great.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Madkal posted:

It really brings into focus the lovely state of mental health care in the states.

Really is sad when our prison system has basically taken over duties for all the mental health/psychiatric facilities that were shut down over time. You know things suck when you see news interviews with prisoners and they end up being repeat offenders just to get a decent place to sleep, medical care and 3 meals a day, all because the system is so broken.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

stickyfngrdboy posted:

She didn't have supernatural powers but it was an interesting read anyway.

If everyone is coming to you for their help you can paint a pretty good picture of the goings on. It's like being a confessional priest without the expectation of privacy.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Zesty Mordant posted:

This discussion reminded me of the Doe Network, where you can view very disturbing reconstructions of unidentified persons, but as I scrolled down the page I noticed this very good picture, and there's apparently some living persons included on the Doe Network: http://doenetwork.org/cases/1007umga.html

Here's his wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle

Normally this sort of amnesia/fugue state things can be sort of suspect in a 'faked one's own death' manner, but for some reason this guy's story and description feels real.

note: looking at the other pictures if you go back to the archive can be really unnerving. The one right above this case is very strange.

This is a super old post, as I'm still reading through this thread slowly, but according to Kyle's wiki page he may have discovered his true identity as of a few days ago.

Here's the only supporting article so far: clicky

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's another Texas Monthly true crime story : A Tree is Known by its Fruit

It's basically a murder for an inheritance. There's one detail that creeps me out. It is a case of murder for hire, where the stepson(Bruce) paid his cousin(Carl) a piddling amount to kill his stepmother(Bonnie).

Texas Monthly posted:

According to Carl, Bruce had come to see him on Friday to propose a deal. “Get rid of Bonnie this weekend,” Carl said Bruce told him. “I’ll pay you. I’m gonna be out of town. I don’t want nothin’ to do with it. Don’t tell anybody I had anything to do with it.” Bruce gave him $100, with the promise of depositing $350 more in his bank account on Monday, once the deed was done. There would also, of course, be the payout from the estate. (Bruce initially offered $500, but Carl, knowing his financial situation, offered to do it for $50 less.

The land Bruce stood to inherit was valued at around $500,000. Bonnie had raised Carl for a few years when he was a teenager. He was still willing to kill her for under $1000 total.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
so eager to do a murder he offered the dude a discount jesus christ

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

uh just lol if your personal hit man doesn't offer friends and family discounts

Sometimes I swear goons never go outside

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lmao

god bless the ingenuity of man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Homie Hook-up transcends all forms of payment for goods & services.