Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

pram posted:

throw in stymie for good measure. baby, you got a thunderdome going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

is that up now? I wanted to get the 50GB tier when it was announced

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I will probably get an iPad pro as well.

currently I use my iPad Air for watching udemy training videos while I code. or with safari open to view live updates to what I'm coding. with the Pro I can conceivably do both at once leaving my macbook just for code and the terminal.

plus the pencil looks good, might get back into some creative things.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

I have been checking frequently but haven't seen it up in my iPad mac or iPhone yet

installing el capitan now though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

computer parts posted:

i looked it up this afternoon and the indications are September 25 is when those prices go live

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you can probably just downgrade no to the 20GB one and it doesn't take effect until your next billing period. i assume it will migrate you to the 50Gb plan of the same price. in fact in my case i might even get grandfathered to the new plan at the same price? i dunno here's hoping i get to save $.30 canadian cents

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fair enough. if you need it you need it. I am going to wait until the iCloud settings interface gives me the price I like but that's just me. in the meantime gently caress those email notifications that I'm within 200 mb of my (free) limit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
have we got a resolustion on the iapd p(r)o(o) yet?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

echinopsis posted:

can you not reach apple.com from new zealand?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apple may have really hosed up the split screen view in El Capitan. it works great usability wise (although it's not super obvious the feature is there). but if you open up safari in split view, instead of say showing you the mobile site as it was responsively designed, it will just render the page at desktop resolution and scale it. i guess this is OK if you have retina display, but if you don't it is illegible. plus, one of the biggest use cases for me, would be to test sites and see them in various widths, but it defeats that.

like i've been using it 10 minutes on a non-retina and my head hurts.

echinopsis posted:

only 30% less pixels than a 4K screen, 2.7X pixels of 1080p

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i'll just keep using moom window snap. it suits my needs. "split view" is hardcore reinventing the wheel, both here and in windows when they touted it a couple years ago

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also why would you not have retina. your post causes me great displeasure.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
moom owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

can you not reach apple.com from new zealand?

given three people replied hastily with the answer, id say it was unecessary to visit.

also we have apple.com/nz :smug:

pram posted:

moom owns

gently caress the moon

THC posted:

also why would you not have retina. your post causes me great displeasure.

retina is like the visual equivalent of wooden volume knobs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gonna have to start rendering ipod pro size images to sell for the big bucks. apple users love to pay for poo poo so some of that money should be coming towards me im sure

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
get fishmech as well, iirc there was a time when shaggar was arguing with fishmech and it was great

cremnob, fishmech, shaggar and stymie

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

DaNzA posted:

shadowban these posters so that only they can see each others posts

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive asked you assholes numerous times to stop posting my pic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OK i'm kind of confused about this situation with responsive sites in split screen.

i've found one that does collapse down into it's tablet view. but other ones i know have responsive design like youtube don't

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i took flowers and a chocolate apple to my nearby apple store when steve passed.

i also went to a local... "gamer bar" when iwata died and made a made a small speech to everyone there lol.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
iirc there are different ways to determine the size of the viewport or w/e when the display is high dpi cause theres like the effective resolution and then the actual pixel resolution and theres probably a way for the browser to use both in css. so maybe sites that are responsive are using the effective resolution and the sites that aren't are using the real resolution.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

i took flowers and a chocolate apple to my nearby apple store when steve passed.

i also went to a local... "gamer bar" when iwata died and made a made a small speech to everyone there lol.

source ur quotes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

lmfao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DaNzA posted:

get fishmech as well, iirc there was a time when shaggar was arguing with fishmech and it was great

truly hell is other people

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

most sites use media queries in CSS to basically say "if resolution <= 767 then show this CSS:" but some have separate mobile pages and a script to redirect you if your device resolution is within some range. those are the two ways i know of.

Shaggar posted:

source ur quotes

that is a quote from mr bill gates

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the iwata thing was like "hey everyone, if i could just have a second. today the CEO of nintendo died. he oversaw the Wii and 3DS. i just wanted to say thanks Iwata. so thanks Iwata."

there was like 20 people there maybe. coincidentally there was some get together of people from the international megacorp gaming company i worked for there, including my um main middle manager dude and i said hi after that.

in my subjective opinion it wasn't as catastrophic as you would naturally imagine a goon doing it, and believe me i would tell you if it was. i once wet my pants at a sleep over, i'm an open book about these things.

i still know the apple store guy i gave the flowers and chocolate apple to. he hasn't teased me about it so i presume it didn't seem pathetic there either.

i feel like both jobs and iwata stood "at the junction between the arts, technology and business" as edward land would say. that's extremely my poo poo. not just inventing or innovating on something, but pushing the needle of popular culture with that technology. i guess it's like, sure, carl marx invented communism, but it was stalin who took it all the way and made it happen!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

the iwata thing was like "hey everyone, if i could just have a second. today the CEO of nintendo died. he oversaw the Wii and 3DS. i just wanted to say thanks Iwata. so thanks Iwata."

there was like 20 people there maybe. coincidentally there was some get together of people from the international megacorp gaming company i worked for there, including my um main middle manager dude and i said hi after that.

in my subjective opinion it wasn't as catastrophic as you would naturally imagine a goon doing it, and believe me i would tell you if it was. i once wet my pants at a sleep over, i'm an open book about these things.

i still know the apple store guy i gave the flowers and chocolate apple to. he hasn't teased me about it so i presume it didn't seem pathetic there either.

i feel like both jobs and iwata stood "at the junction between the arts, technology and business" as edward land would say. that's extremely my poo poo. not just inventing or innovating on something, but pushing the needle of popular culture with that technology. i guess it's like, sure, carl marx invented communism, but it was stalin who took it all the way and made it happen!

goldmine

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

jfc man...

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

PleasureKevin posted:

jesus christ

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

holy poo poo please source youre quotes

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

PleasureKevin posted:

apple may have really hosed up the split screen view in El Capitan. it works great usability wise (although it's not super obvious the feature is there). but if you open up safari in split view, instead of say showing you the mobile site as it was responsively designed, it will just render the page at desktop resolution and scale it. i guess this is OK if you have retina display, but if you don't it is illegible. plus, one of the biggest use cases for me, would be to test sites and see them in various widths, but it defeats that.

like i've been using it 10 minutes on a non-retina and my head hurts.

only 30% less pixels than a 4K screen, 2.7X pixels of 1080p

use the new safari dev tools responsive design thing

or use chrome's dev tools with their similar thing. i like chrome's download speed simulator. you should at least look at chrome cuz its the most used browser and has a custom text rendering engine you cant override because its a piece of poo poo

i get what youre trying to do but you can move sublime or terminal or whatever around by hand too yknow?

PleasureKevin posted:

most sites use media queries in CSS to basically say "if resolution <= 767 then show this CSS:" but some have separate mobile pages and a script to redirect you if your device resolution is within some range. those are the two ways i know of.

the most common is greater or less than x-pixels of width or height yeah. maybe there's something in the meta tags? maybe you need to repaint? maybe it zooms out for some reason?

that second way you mentioned is a piece of poo poo that sucks and should be left in 2007 to die

Shaggar posted:

iirc there are different ways to determine the size of the viewport or w/e when the display is high dpi cause theres like the effective resolution and then the actual pixel resolution and theres probably a way for the browser to use both in css. so maybe sites that are responsive are using the effective resolution and the sites that aren't are using the real resolution.

declaring pixel dimensions is fine because apple internally redefines pixels as pixel-independent points. this is also why mice on retina screens shamefully move two pixels at a time

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i have it on bad authority there will be a new apple keyboard with multi touch built in

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

thanks for these words

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

linda dong's apple pencil post got flagged off the HN front page cause nerds absolutely cant stand that apple just walked in and did it better than everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

i think its more like user agent sniffing. but that way should probably die.

also this thread is giving me great pleasure

• Locked thread