Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If I enjoy Carcassonne for its pace and ease to teach and learn, what else should I look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Might want to check out Barony? It feels kind of chess-y in a way in that the board is made, you're playing and positioning tokens. Very clear and simple movement rules. Where Carcassonne has that kind of play worked into laying the tiles themselves, in Barony it comes from the tokens. There's no hidden information or variance though besides the map building itself as setup.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

SynthOrange posted:

If I enjoy Carcassonne for its pace and ease to teach and learn, what else should I look at?

The Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders expansions are pretty good if you don't have them.

Castles of Burgundy could actually be picked up fairly quickly I would think by a Carc group and it has a quick pace to it (although it's longer than Carc for sure).

I would also recommend Istanbul, 7 Wonders, some kind of entry level worker placement (Lords of Waterdeep or Viticulture maybe) and of course Dominion. Ra is awesome too if you can get a hold of it. Tigris & Euphrates is actually not overly complex (rule wise) but its core concepts can be a bit tricky to teach sometimes.

Actually thinking about those choices: Istanbul/Dominion/Ra would probably be right up your alley. They all play quickly on a turn by turn basis, are easy to teach, and have interesting decisions (with a reasonable amount of player interaction).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 16, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ubik_Lives posted:

To be clear, we're talking about moving a model multiple times with a single advance order? Not move a unit once, wait for your turn to come around again, reveal a second order, then move him again?

Yep. Single advance.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

The Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders expansions are pretty good if you don't have them.

Castles of Burgundy could actually be picked up fairly quickly I would think by a Carc group and it has a quick pace to it (although it's longer than Carc for sure).

I would also recommend Istanbul, 7 Wonders, some kind of entry level worker placement (Lords of Waterdeep or Viticulture maybe) and of course Dominion. Ra is awesome too if you can get a hold of it. Tigris & Euphrates is actually not overly complex (rule wise) but its core concepts can be a bit tricky to teach sometimes.

Actually thinking about those choices: Istanbul/Dominion/Ra would probably be right up your alley. They all play quickly on a turn by turn basis, are easy to teach, and have interesting decisions (with a reasonable amount of player interaction).

Yeah, I think Ra and Dominion are good in that weight class. I'd recommend checking out Kingdom Builder, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I saw people briefly mention Shogun a few pages back, but not really any more than "it exists". How is it? I generally like area control games but it's apparently pretty old by designer board game standards and I'd like some more opinions if anyone has played it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

QnoisX posted:

I sleeved all of my Alien cards in Ultra Pro matte lime green sleeves. Standard size. Check eBay, that's where I found mine. It was a set of 600 sold specifically for Alien I guess. They are super nice. The matte backs have a really good feel to them.

Edit: Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-ULTRA-PRO-LIME-GREEN-DECK-PROTECTORS-SLEEVES-Standard-MTG-Colors-Lot-/171220864757?hash=item27dd8f0ef5 You may want to choose a different color, up to you.

Thanks, I was actually looking at that exact same pack from the same company on Amazon. I'll probably go with those or with the FFG sleeves, since the more I mess around with them the less their 'tallness' bothers me (probably used to it, since those are what I used to sleeve my Mage Knight cards). My only issue with ultra pro is that little hologram thing annoys me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Re: Shogun

It is loving awesome and I highly recommend you play it. It's a really great area control game with an awesome resolution mechanic. The cube tower makes it hard to get upset about someone beating your army of cubes because there's no guarantee a swarm of farmers won't come out to wreck everyone's poo poo. There's also the building upgrades that allow you to make your chunk of map more valuable, and therefore more tempting to other players. The two "year" mechanic is also good for the reason Quinns mentioned in the SUSD vid.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Lord Frisk posted:

It is loving awesome and I highly recommend you play it. It's a really great area control game with an awesome resolution mechanic. The cube tower makes it hard to get upset about someone beating your army of cubes because there's no guarantee a swarm of farmers won't come out to wreck everyone's poo poo. There's also the building upgrades that allow you to make your chunk of map more valuable, and therefore more tempting to other players. The two "year" mechanic is also good for the reason Quinns mentioned in the SUSD vid.

That was a strange review. It was like they thought everything but the artwork was awesome, but not enough to recommend it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Quinns likes shiny things, much like a child. The game is far from ugly, and it actually is pretty colorful, but it is necessarily muted to not seem busy when crowded with cubes. The gameplay, however, is top notch.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

With the cube tower, will pieces get stuck and then come down during other fights? Like if Player 1 and 2 put in a collective 10 cubes might only 6 fall out, and then the other 4 during a fight between Players 2 and 3?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My only issue with ultra pro is that little hologram thing annoys me.

This always annoys me too. Is there a suggestion for good deck protectors that don't have that?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

With the cube tower, will pieces get stuck and then come down during other fights? Like if Player 1 and 2 put in a collective 10 cubes might only 6 fall out, and then the other 4 during a fight between Players 2 and 3?

Exactly that. It's pretty much an unwritten rule that you don't look in the tower to see what the odds are, because the whole table is invested when you toss a handful of cubes in. Every once in a while you get to see some lost ronin come wandering in over the horizon instead of the samurai you sent out.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

This always annoys me too. Is there a suggestion for good deck protectors that don't have that?

I use the clear ultra pro sleeves for most games. That way I can just put the hologram on the back.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Countblanc posted:

I saw people briefly mention Shogun a few pages back, but not really any more than "it exists". How is it? I generally like area control games but it's apparently pretty old by designer board game standards and I'd like some more opinions if anyone has played it.

I like playing it quite a bit, except for the bit if there's a guy who insists on doing the accent for all the Japanese words and there always is

Anyway the game itself is solid, except our cube tower was a little wobbly, being a blow-molded thin flexy piece of plastic. Taking cubes out of the bucket always seemed to bump one or two more loose. Very much a fluid area control kind of game with no real "home bases" to speak of (other than those that arise organically from gameplay).

I particularly liked how it really conveys the feeling that you're really all just warlords. All income is by helping yourself to a province's gold or rice, which causes unrest tokens that will eventually result in revolt. And there isn't really any way to let off that steam. It's a prickly resource that needs to be managed (or left for someone else to clean up) and I can't really think of any other game that does that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone know anything on when Spyfall might be back in stock? One of my friends is super into the game and wants a copy for themselves when they move away to do school in another country for a while.

Also, speaking of Spyfall, the game would have really benefited from having all of the locations printed on the backs of each card, as well as an all-spy round. It kind of screams for just being a print and play with those two modifications.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anybody know of some good sleeves for a Legendary Encounters game? I just got Predator, but after reading about the cards I think I might want to sleeve it, preferably with sleeves that won't cost more than the game cost to get in the first place (there are 600 cards). I tried to do some research, but since I'm not normally one to sleeve my cards (I think Mage Knight is one of my few games I've sleeved completely) it's sort of overwhelming. I do have some spare Fantasy Flight clear sleeves laying around that I tried, but they seem just a little too tall for my taste.

I sleeved my Aliens (and pretty much every other standard size card game) with Ultra Pro Pro-Fit, I know they're inner sleeves but I like how snug they are and there is no excess material in the top. Cheap too.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jeeves posted:

Anyone know anything on when Spyfall might be back in stock? One of my friends is super into the game and wants a copy for themselves when they move away to do school in another country for a while.

Second printing is showing up late October, with a 3rd and 4th printing coming in waves throughout Q4.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Got my first play of Roll for the Galaxy. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but quite enjoyable.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

jeeves posted:

Also, speaking of Spyfall, the game would have really benefited from having all of the locations printed on the backs of each card, as well as an all-spy round. It kind of screams for just being a print and play with those two modifications.

There's a free online version your friend could use: https://www.spyfall.meteor.com

It also has the full list of locations under your identity, but no all-spy round.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The Supreme Court posted:

There's a free online version your friend could use: https://www.spyfall.meteor.com

It also has the full list of locations under your identity, but no all-spy round.

This has the original Russian locations, but none of the changes/new locations in the North American version.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

Got my first play of Roll for the Galaxy. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but quite enjoyable.

Roll is so much fun. Easy to teach, but deeper than it might seem. And it plays quite fast as well.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well I broke down and ordered the go7 insert for Argent. I've played it enough now that I figure it's worth making it more convenient to set up and use.

I have a question maybe those who've played it can help me with...how does the spell "Past Power/Future Power/Eternal Power" work precisely? I know there's a bit of an entry on it in the FAQ but what I'm curious about (which prompted a bit of an argument) is if you're casting a spell through another spell, such as using Future Power to cast an unlearned spell of yours while paying all costs, does it count as two separate spells or is the second spell grafted onto the first? This became relevant when an interaction arose between one of the Mancers consumable items, a mana potion that reduces the next spell you cast to Free cost, and trying to use it to cast a spell via Future Power for free.

If they're two separate spells then the mana potion won't work since it only applies to the next spell which would be Future Power itself (which is already free), meaning you'd have to pay the full cost of the spell triggering off of it. If they're considered a hideous conjoined Frankenspell then the potion would presumably work. The fate of the game didn't hinge on it (I lost thoroughly to the woman whose excitement over Argent has helped it become a regular fixture at Tuesday game night, she's a shark when it comes to this game), but it would be nice to know for future reference.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Just played Broom Service

It's good stuff. Pretty much a typical Euro-style Spiel des Jahres winner, but solid with good tactical and strategic choices to be made.

You'll be moving two witches around the board, gathering potions and delivering them to castles for points. Each round you pick four out of ten 'roles' - four of these are designated for moving, three for gathering potions, two for selling potions and one for removing 'clouds' which block travel and grant end-of-game VP.

After you have chosen your roles the fun stuff starts - the first player picks one of their roles, and chooses whether they are going to be 'Brave' or 'Cowardly'. Each other player, in turn, must also play their role if it matches, and may choose to be Brave or Cowardly as well. 'Cowardly' players get to take their action right now, but 'Brave' players get a bonus from the role and have to wait until the end of the turn, and only one player may be 'Brave' each turn.

For example, if the First Player plays a Forest Witch ('move to a forest') and declares it to be 'Brave' ('sell a potion after moving'), and you have a Forest Witch in hand, you must play it. You could choose to be Cowardly if you think other players have Forest Witches, or Brave if you want to get the special bonus - only the last player to be Brave in a turn actually gets to take the Brave action. Whoever ends up actually taking the Brave action is the first player for the next turn, and if nobody took the Brave action the current first player is first again.

Naturally, being first is terrible as you probably won't get away with being Brave, and if you choose to be Cowardly on a role nobody else has you'll have to go first again and be in the exact same boat, but with less options. The Gatherer choice gives the starkest difference between the two options - you get three resources if you are a Brave gatherer and only one if you are Cowardly, meaning players are likely to save their Gatherer cards last to capitalise on being Brave.

If you read the board and watch the other players, you can make safe assumptions about what actions they are likely to choose - if they're stocked up on Purple potions you can probably go for a Brave Fruit Gatherer who gets you purple potions without risking anything, or if they have no option to move to a Forest this turn they probably won't have chosen a Forest Witch, unless they're counting on being able to chain a few movements together.

It's relatively dry but the Brave/Cowardly following mechanism keeps the game flowing smoothly and keeps everyone engaged, and the most AP-inducing part - selecting roles - is done simultaneously, cutting down on waiting time. Other optional gameplay elements exist to make the game fun on repeat plays and I'm keen to give it another shot.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 16, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Sounds like it has very similar dynamics to Dungeon Lords, is that accurate?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bubble-T posted:

Sounds like it has very similar dynamics to Dungeon Lords, is that accurate?

Not exactly - Imagine if in DL you revealed your role cards one at a time and had to choose which 'row' to take when you did it, but if another player had that same role they could just jump on top of you and prevent you from getting any benefit at all. You end up shooting yourself in the foot trying to second-guess whether they have played the same action or not.

The whole mechanism of having to settle for a worse version of the option you want most badly is accurate though.

[EDIT] Also it's not nearly as unforgiving as DL if you don't happen to get what you need. You're unlikely to end up with negative points in Broom Service.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 16, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Codenames IRL, both as the spymaster and the agents, and it's really really good and everyone I talk with in my gaming group loves it. Managed to connect Kid and Light with the codeword 'Balloon: 2' and my group got it. Good feels all around. Love the game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

Played Codenames IRL, both as the spymaster and the agents, and it's really really good and everyone I talk with in my gaming group loves it. Managed to connect Kid and Light with the codeword 'Balloon: 2' and my group got it. Good feels all around. Love the game.

I had 'Guard', 'Bow' and 'Hood' one game. The assassin word was 'Robin'. I had a hell of a time trying to skirt around any Robin Hood-type references.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I love that Codenames is great whether you succeed or screw up: I was told "Batman, 4" and picked superhero. It was the assassin word (my girlfriend just forgot it was there) and we instantly lost, which was just funny.

"Joaquin, 2" got Buffalo and Soldier, though, which felt brilliant

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

bobvonunheil posted:

I had 'Guard', 'Bow' and 'Hood' one game. The assassin word was 'Robin'. I had a hell of a time trying to skirt around any Robin Hood-type references.

The opposing team yesterday had plane rain and cloud with parachute the assassin. Such a good game hope I get it back to the table tonight

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rumda posted:

The opposing team yesterday had plane rain and cloud with parachute the assassin. Such a good game hope I get it back to the table tonight
'Turbulence: 3'

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

'Turbulence: 3'

Oh, shoot, hurricane was on the other team, too bad.

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;

bobvonunheil posted:

We had a similar situation, except I wasn't paying enough attention - I gave the clue "Miniatures: 3" to try to get Figure, War, and Table - but the assassin was Lead. Whoops!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
ahhhhh this game is SO GOOD

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
They did do a clever job picking all the right words. On BGG somebody made like a huge text dump for people to roll their own game and one of the play testers was like,"uh, we actually thought about each word in this game for reasons so just remember that".

I am a horrible spymaster but I enjoy the challenge.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I successfully gave "Nazis, 3" for Gold, Soldier, and Alps :3:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Foehammer posted:

I successfully gave "Nazis, 3" for Gold, Soldier, and Alps :3:

How do you solve a problem like Foehammer?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

lordsummerisle posted:

Roll is so much fun. Easy to teach, but deeper than it might seem. And it plays quite fast as well.

The 3 things that prevent me from really getting into either RFTG game:

1. Almost no player interactivity
2. Strategies seem determined by (or destroyed by) luck of the draw or roll.
3. Unlike Dominion, it feels like I can barely get an engine set up before the game ends.

Are those persistent issues or am I missing something important? Because I've played Race quite a few times and, while Roll is more streamlined in other ways, it doesn't seem to improve on these points.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

CaptainRightful posted:

The 3 things that prevent me from really getting into either RFTG game:

1. Almost no player interactivity
2. Strategies seem determined by (or destroyed by) luck of the draw or roll.
3. Unlike Dominion, it feels like I can barely get an engine set up before the game ends.

Are those persistent issues or am I missing something important? Because I've played Race quite a few times and, while Roll is more streamlined in other ways, it doesn't seem to improve on these points.

I've found this as well. For me, RollFTG went from amazing to meh within the space of about 5 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Working in West Africa and just moved into a house with several more international development people, and we want to acquire a stash of board/card games for entertaining. Expected audience would be reasonably bright and nerdy expat folks but not necessarily serious gamers. We can get stuff mailed through USPS so shipping wise it's like being in the U.S. but takes longer.

If we have a budget of $100-150 max, what should we try and get? Pretty broad question, but my initial thoughts include:

- try to get a used bulk lot on eBay of Risk, Clue, Monopoly, stuff like that for $30 all together
- one of the basic Munchkin sets, probably the classic one, $25
- Machi Koro, that Japan town-building card game, seems pretty accessible even for newbies, $20
- Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, since a Mafia-type game would be good to have for large groups of 8+, $20
- some version of Settlers of Catan since that seems mandatory, $30 used?
- ditto for some version of Ticket to Ride, $30 used

I'm not counting basic stuff like cards, dice, dominoes that are negligible cost, and for next to nothing I can have a local carpenter make us boards for old-school games like backgammon, go, tablut, mancala, etc.

Any additions/subtractions/modifications to the above? Am I leaning too heavy on one genre and light on others?