Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

:perfect:

:thurman:

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jsor posted:

Maybe I should've said "JRPG". I won't deny that the series would be different without it, and it has a good degree of symbolic significance, but the whole thing heavily reminded me of every lame excuse to kill god in every JRPG ever. They didn't actually kill god, of course, but it had the exact same general feeling as a JRPG plot. You're right that it's not really a generic shounen trope, though I think a decent subset of shounen anime use that same brand of weird pseudo-spiritualist reason the world is going to end.

Eureka Seven has a real unique feel to it, because the director really wanted to put in that stuff. It wasn't just an excuse for the plot or anything like that. In fact, one of the many reasons the sequels are bad is because they didn't "get it", they treated it like any other anime bullshit and so jsut added their own bullshit to the sequels and it just didn't work.

https://www.japansociety.org/resources/content/2/0/5/4/documents/sato_mcgray%20interview.pdf

There's a lot of symbolism in the show, from all the surfer culture stuff or the musical references (every episode is named after a song, King Adrock, etc.), not all of which is meaningful. But the show definitely has a message, the director is openly political in it. The similarities between the Vodarek and, say, the Tibetan buddhists probably isn't a coincidence.

If I didn't suck, I'd love to do an in-depth analysis of the show.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRolpUL3g8

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eureka Seven has a real unique feel to it, because the director really wanted to put in that stuff. It wasn't just an excuse for the plot or anything like that. In fact, one of the many reasons the sequels are bad is because they didn't "get it", they treated it like any other anime bullshit and so jsut added their own bullshit to the sequels and it just didn't work.

https://www.japansociety.org/resources/content/2/0/5/4/documents/sato_mcgray%20interview.pdf

There's a lot of symbolism in the show, from all the surfer culture stuff or the musical references (every episode is named after a song, King Adrock, etc.), not all of which is meaningful. But the show definitely has a message, the director is openly political in it. The similarities between the Vodarek and, say, the Tibetan buddhists probably isn't a coincidence.

If I didn't suck, I'd love to do an in-depth analysis of the show.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRolpUL3g8

I think we're about to hijack the thread, but...

I don't deny any of that. I liked the planet being an organism, and plenty of other things. I got most of the Tibetan themes just fine and I've read up on the show. I just feel that the very specific piece concerning "the limit of questions", in particular, was a bit hollow and silly. I felt like there were hundreds of other things they could have used to advance similar messages and bring in similar themes. I just found the whole thing about "organisms ask questions, so once we hit a critical mass of sapient organisms there will be too much information and reality will cease to exist" was a bit weird. In fact, I'd argue that even the limit of questions itself wasn't the problem so much as how much the show desperately tried analyze it.

I would've probably loved it as pure philosophy and spiritualism. The way the show goes, this wouldn't work well, because the "meeting of the minds" between the Vodarek priests and the scientists is a very important turning point. I just felt like they spent way too long trying to world-build the hell out of this thing instead of just letting it be. It's fine if the scientists think it makes sense scientifically in-universe. It's fine if it has some philosophical or religious backing. It crossed the line for me, personally, when they spent way too long explaining and analyzing it and wrapping it in faux science.

It's a similar problem that I have with some other shows too. Ghost Hound comes to mind. The shows tend to linger juuuuuust too long on their in-world philosophical ideas. They'd generally work a lot better if they left out just a few more details, or talked about it a smidge fewer times. Just give us the basics and have people in-show state and argue their beliefs. Just whatever you do, don't have people sit there and exposit so that it "makes sense" to the audience. (And it's by no means anime that exclusively has this problem.)

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 12, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I also witnessed a few things around the 16 minute mark I wish I hadn't, but I suppose that's just the "reward" for sticking through this series all the way to the end. Congratulations, DStecks, you did it. You're finally free.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I have to say, that ending to the last Sonichu review wasn't what I was expecting to see.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jsor posted:

I think we're about to hijack the thread, but...

I don't deny any of that. I liked the planet being an organism, and plenty of other things. I got most of the Tibetan themes just fine and I've read up on the show. I just feel that the very specific piece concerning "the limit of questions", in particular, was a bit hollow and silly. I felt like there were hundreds of other things they could have used to advance similar messages and bring in similar themes. I just found the whole thing about "organisms ask questions, so once we hit a critical mass of sapient organisms there will be too much information and reality will cease to exist" was a bit weird. In fact, I'd argue that even the limit of questions itself wasn't the problem so much as how much the show desperately tried analyze it.

I would've probably loved it as pure philosophy and spiritualism. The way the show goes, this wouldn't work well, because the "meeting of the minds" between the Vodarek priests and the scientists is a very important turning point. I just felt like they spent way too long trying to world-build the hell out of this thing instead of just letting it be. It's fine if the scientists think it makes sense scientifically in-universe. It's fine if it has some philosophical or religious backing. It crossed the line for me, personally, when they spent way too long explaining and analyzing it and wrapping it in faux science.

It's a similar problem that I have with some other shows too. Ghost Hound comes to mind. The shows tend to linger juuuuuust too long on their in-world philosophical ideas. They'd generally work a lot better if they left out just a few more details, or talked about it a smidge fewer times. Just give us the basics and have people in-show state and argue their beliefs. Just whatever you do, don't have people sit there and exposit so that it "makes sense" to the audience. (And it's by no means anime that exclusively has this problem.)

I dunno, I thought it worked in a very 70s sci-fi kind of way (notice the appearance of the Voyager disc in the same episode). :shrug:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, I thought it worked in a very 70s sci-fi kind of way (notice the appearance of the Voyager disc in the same episode). :shrug:

Eh, it worked okay, it's only a slight nuisance for me. Despite all my :words: I want to be clear that Eureka Seven is my favorite anime. Any dumb criticism I make is out of love :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jsor posted:

Eh, it worked okay, it's only a slight nuisance for me. Despite all my :words: I want to be clear that Eureka Seven is my favorite anime. Any dumb criticism I make is out of love :v:

It's alright. I just liek talking about E7.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

I'm glad you got clear. But I'm also still on your Patreon and am still willing to chip in to listen to you talk about stuff. I for one really enjoyed the Sir Billi review. But no malice if you'd rather just be out for good. Thanks for the ride.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Congrats on your freedom, DStecks. My husband and I have enjoyed your run, and I'm personally pretty psyched that there'll be more Sonichu so thanks for encouraging creation and discouraging trolling. (Also I hope you get all those bonus things Chris was promising.)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm glad you got clear. But I'm also still on your Patreon and am still willing to chip in to listen to you talk about stuff. I for one really enjoyed the Sir Billi review. But no malice if you'd rather just be out for good. Thanks for the ride.

I'm just done Sonichu. This summer has gotten me into a very productive place, and I want to start channeling that into other efforts. I'm planning to start working on a video game that I'm making with a coworker. And eventually there will be more Bad Reviews. But I'm probably going to take a nice long hiatus now.

Puppy Time posted:

Congrats on your freedom, DStecks. My husband and I have enjoyed your run, and I'm personally pretty psyched that there'll be more Sonichu so thanks for encouraging creation and discouraging trolling. (Also I hope you get all those bonus things Chris was promising.)

Thanks. I hope I get it too! It'll be quite the collection.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Time to start watching these, I guess.

I won't miss much if I skip ahead a bit, right? I know what happens in Sonichu from when it was a big thing a few years back.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

That's a great fishnet top Alison, where on earth did you find something like that? A costume shop? I used to work in one of those and we definitely sold a few bizarro neon fishnet things.

Glad you liked the review! I wanna say I got the top at like a Hot Topic ten years ago. LOL I've had it forever. Seemed to fit the Showgirls vibe.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Puppy Time posted:

Even if Dstecks does not get the things promised, Dstecks did something that the Chris-Chan community has not done in years, trolled in an original, hilarious way, especially since the trolling was against the community and not CWC. I'm also happy that Sonichu 10 was the end of his review because to be honest, anything afterwards would be an anti-climax.

Congrats on finishing it up. It's been a ride, and I am curious on seeing what's next.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

I'm just done Sonichu. This summer has gotten me into a very productive place, and I want to start channeling that into other efforts. I'm planning to start working on a video game that I'm making with a coworker. And eventually there will be more Bad Reviews. But I'm probably going to take a nice long hiatus now.

I enjoyed the video; I hope the CWC trolls don't give you too much poo poo over it.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I have a look at an early starring turn for one of America’s most beloved British actresses in my review of Mutiny.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Time to start watching these, I guess.

I won't miss much if I skip ahead a bit, right? I know what happens in Sonichu from when it was a big thing a few years back.

Just too warn you, DStecks said his early reviews was him trying to be a linkara ripoff, so the better reviews wasn't until latter.

anyways I know we disagree a few times DStecks, but grats on finishing the review. enjoy life!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The first few reviews are not great, but you can plow through them pretty fast. I'd encourage not skipping anything, because the plot of Sonichu turns on a dime and you could be totally lost if you miss anything. I also wrote them assuming that viewers would have seen everything previous, so I only explain things once (unless I forgot that I already explained something).

But yeah, they are really heavy on the reference clip jokes, and there's a couple jokes I would probably not make today (the hobo rape cave, Sarah Hammer being a slut). I'd say that episode 9 is where I hit my stride, because that's when I stopped doing clip references to avoid ContentID, and it forced me to up my game.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

DStecks posted:

That's cool. I had hoped you weren't launching a new website just to retire. Be well!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

God drat, I'm sure there are a hell of a lot of pissed off people out there seeing that their patreon donations were used to fund more Sonichu

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You sure cause all I see is people getting more opportunities to witness a trainwreck.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
We'll see if this goes anywhere, but a circuit appellate court decided that companies like Universal have been too overzealous in DMCA notices and copyright strikes, and now have to consider fair use before sending a takedown notice. The provisions allow for people to challenge them in court over overzealous copyright claims, and for the courts to award in favor of the creator if the court finds they didn't adequately consider fair use before making the claim.

I mean, lol if you're an internet reviewer that has enough money to consider counter-suing Universal, but it could potentially help them revise their drat algorithms.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/eff-scores-a-win-in-long-running-dancing-baby-copyright-case/

quote:

But Universal will now have to face a trial over whether it "knowingly misrepresented" its "good faith belief the video was not authorized by law." The judges have made clear that copyright owners "must consider fair use before sending a takedown notification" before forming that "good faith belief."

To be successful at trial, Universal doesn't have to prove that the video wasn't fair use. It just has to show that it considered fair use before sending the notice.

[...]

The fair use consideration doesn't have to be "searching or intensive," Tallman clarified. But it can't be trivial, either. "A copyright holder who pays lip service to the consideration of fair use by claiming it formed a good faith belief when there is evidence to the contrary is still subject to 512(f) liability," the opinion states.

In a partial dissent, Circuit Judge Milan Smith agreed with most of the majority's findings but would have found Universal liable for the bad takedown without a jury trial. "I disagree that there is any material dispute about whether Universal considered fair use," Smith wrote. "Universal knew it had not considered fair use, and therefore knew it lacked a basis to conclude that the video was infringing."

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 15, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Ahahajha

http://angryjoesucks.blogspot.com/?m=1

I wonder if he violated the TOS or something. It's just hilarious how creepy, racist and obsessive he was and eventually got shut down for it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Jsor posted:

We'll see if this goes anywhere, but a circuit appellate court decided that companies like Universal have been too overzealous in DMCA notices and copyright strikes, and now have to consider fair use before sending a takedown notice. The provisions allow for people to challenge them in court over overzealous copyright claims, and for the courts to award in favor of the creator if the court finds they didn't adequately consider fair use before making the claim.

I mean, lol if you're an internet reviewer that has enough money to consider counter-suing Universal, but it could potentially help them revise their drat algorithms.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/eff-scores-a-win-in-long-running-dancing-baby-copyright-case/

Doesn't this effectively make contentid illegal? You can't exactly make a good faith evaluation of fair use if a robot is the only thing that saw the content.

Also it wouldn't take long to get a class action going.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

senae posted:

Doesn't this effectively make contentid illegal? You can't exactly make a good faith evaluation of fair use if a robot is the only thing that saw the content.

This does not make Content ID illegal. The opinion says:

quote:

We note, without passing judgment, that the implementation of computer algorithms appears to be a valid and good faith middle ground for processing a plethora of content while still meeting the DMCA’s requirements to somehow consider fair use.

I wouldn’t get excited about a class action suit, as class action plaintiffs aren’t likely to receive anything of value.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

senae posted:

Against who? The two-bit copyright agent that's a shell company of a subsidiary of a division of a consulting firm hired by an outsourced IT vendor working for a copyright firm who is still ten steps removed from the copyright holder?

Sony Exec: "Your honor, we deeply regret the actions those acting on our behalf took regarding these takedown notices. WE at Sony were acting in good faith by engaging their services. We assure you that our business relationship will terminate immediately."

News: "Bob McDonaldson, CEO of Autofuckers, Inc-- located at 1A Main Street, Nowhereville announced the bankrupcy and dissolution of his company. With the company going under, lawyers for the class action lawsuit will not be able to collect any money owed to them."

InOtherNews: "Bob McDonaldson hired as CEO of FuckYouAutomatically LLC-- located at 1B Main Street, Nowhereville. This brand new company, offering 'good faith' automated DMCA notice delivery, is pleased to announce it's first big client, Sony of America..."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
As I understand it, YouTube is still going to have the Content ID system as it is not part of the DMCA notices.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got a Nostalgia critic video in my recommended tab, and the title was "When does a joke go on too long?"

Doug, I don't think you're qualified to answer that.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I got a Nostalgia critic video in my recommended tab, and the title was "When does a joke go on too long?"

That site has to be hemorrhaging money by now. I know a few years back they were making enough to buy Doug a house but that revenue stream has to be pretty well dry by this point.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Chromatic posted:

That site has to be hemorrhaging money by now. I know a few years back they were making enough to buy Doug a house but that revenue stream has to be pretty well dry by this point.

You mean those Chuck Norris jokes arent paying the bills?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPpBlDaKM_o

I know Game Theory is ~objectively~ terrible but my god this video. How the poo poo can he put blame on Jimmy Kimmel and whoever else pokes fun at gaming while defending the harassment they get and at the end as an after thought say "Oh yeah, stop being lovely to people making fun of your hobby." gently caress you, MatPat or whatever you go as. Sincerely gently caress you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it would be great if it was just clip shows from Doug's videos and he says "When that happens". I'm positive Doug isn't that self aware and that isn't the case at all, is it?

E:

Tracula posted:

I know Game Theory is ~objectively~ terrible but my god this video. How the poo poo can he put blame on Jimmy Kimmel and whoever else pokes fun at gaming while defending the harassment they get and at the end as an after thought say "Oh yeah, stop being lovely to people making fun of your hobby." gently caress you, MatPat or whatever you go as. Sincerely gently caress you.

Oh Game Theory must of been running behind on views, time to make another video with the word "pewdiepie" in the title.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 16, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

I think it would be great if it was just clip shows from Doug's videos and he says "When that happens". I'm positive Doug isn't that self aware and that isn't the case at all, is it?

Yes and no... He's admitted in his various review commentaries and podcasts that he enjoys purposefully running jokes into the ground because it amuses him personally.

I don't know if you can be the wrong kind of self-aware, but Doug managed to find a way to do it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tracula posted:

His previous videos were "I can't enjoy a videogame without titty because science" and "Gta5 reflects statistics but #bluelivesmatter", not to mention the teitter parody account has been surprised how much parodies they notice becoming true. So, really, it's a matter of time until he posts something like "Aylan was a big rear end pussy because I'VE played Wind Waker and pressed forward for a few minutes on San Andreas and that was my science on how I'd survive." Plus given the sheer lipservice he gave Pewds, I wouldn't be suprised if tis was a response to him stopping acting out so much on his videos.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

His previous videos were "I can't enjoy a videogame without titty because science" and "Gta5 reflects statistics but #bluelivesmatter", not to mention the teitter parody account has been surprised how much parodies they notice becoming true. So, really, it's a matter of time until he posts something like "Aylan was a big rear end pussy because I'VE played Wind Waker and pressed forward for a few minutes on San Andreas and that was my science on how I'd survive." Plus given the sheer lipservice he gave Pewds, I wouldn't be suprised if tis was a response to him stopping acting out so much on his videos.

English, please

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A good part of those make more sense with links (or with being more familiar with the material at hand), but I'm currently on a situation where linking to stuff is complicated.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Anyway, I'm five episodes into Dstecks's Sonichu reviews.

I like that one of the sub-episodes showed Chris transforming into his magic hedgehog fursona a good while before the Anchuent Prophecy thing happened that let him(her?) turn into the magic hedgehog fursona.

Also is Wes Iseli's name actually "Wes Iseli"? because that's both lame and awesome at the same time. It's like being named "Wes Coast"

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Anyway, I'm five episodes into Dstecks's Sonichu reviews.

I like that one of the sub-episodes showed Chris transforming into his magic hedgehog fursona a good while before the Anchuent Prophecy thing happened that let him(her?) turn into the magic hedgehog fursona.

Also is Wes Iseli's name actually "Wes Iseli"? because that's both lame and awesome at the same time. It's like being named "Wes Coast"

Wow, started in 2010...

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 16, 2015

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kunster posted:

His previous videos were "I can't enjoy a videogame without titty because science"

At first I didn't know what this could be in reference to, but then I saw the video, Game Theory: The Strategy of Sex Appeal in Dead or Alive.

Three minutes in, he says that it was a mistake to ban the use of sexy costumes in DOA5 tournaments because they are, "key gameplay and strategic elements."
:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I like the part on how desexualized games would be boring, while there are a few videos on Splatoon.

• Locked thread