Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Raku posted:

because his team sucks, basically

In the 2nd year of a total rebuild while playing 20 freshman? Eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

Yay!

Now why does everyone think this automatically leads to a shorter rope for Strong?

Fire Strong. Hire Muschamp.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Korranus posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a Jersey whore wrecked a man's life

How do you figure he is the victim here?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

We sho' gonna find out!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

because his team sucks, basically

Nah, the sky's the limit now that we got Jerrod "VY2" Heard under center. Hell, we might even beat Texas Tech to get to 5 wins.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yay!

Now why does everyone think this automatically leads to a shorter rope for Strong?

Because it's more and more common nowadays that a new AD wants his or her own coach running things. Personally, I don't think it automatically means he's on a shorter leash, but it also wouldn't shock me if he was.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CharlestheHammer posted:

How do you figure he is the victim here?

We call this the Jimbo Fisher Effect.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

poo poo is hitting the fan and I love it. :allears:

Now bring back the A&M game.

I didn't even think about that game coming back because of this.

buddhanc posted:

In the 2nd year of a total rebuild while playing 20 freshman? Eh

Well when Strong cuts 10+ players things like this happen. He probably started with more talent than most coaches get at new jobs.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

We sho' gonna find out!

It can be like when Cameron Artis-Payne said he could have rushed for as many yards as Melvin Gordon if he played in the Big Ten then Gordon rushed for 251 and 3 TDs against Auburn.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dunno why Bob Bowlsby turned down the Texas AD job, you'd think he'd be all over the chance to move up the Big XII hierarchy.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

rebel1608 posted:

I wish I were ever in a position where someone told me "you can leave but we'll give you 1.4 million loving dollars" and I could go "nah thats cool"

Some insane person gave this rear end in a top hat a guaranteed contract for 6 years starting at $1.4m and with annual raises. That was just under 2 years ago. So he's gonna want more like $6m to walk, unless they really do have something they can straight up fire him for. When I think of Steve Patterson I don't think of a guy who passes up an opportunity to get money for the sake of something like dignity.

e: His contract is here (scroll down) and I think they may have a case. He can be fired for cause if he "engages in any fraud or dishonesty while performing [his] duties" (for one thing, he blatantly lied to city officials while addressing them in his official capacity just last week). Also "any conduct... that the President reasonably determines is unbecoming to the Athletics Director, or which reasonably brings in to question the integrity of the athletics director" (I can think of a few things).

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 15, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PostNouveau posted:

Yay!

Basically it's a lot easier for a new AD to fire a coach, and a new AD is going to want to put his stamp on things and to separate himself from mistakes of the previous AD. Also because Strong isn't the type of guy who's going win you over with personality long if his teams are poo poo awful.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thermos H Christ posted:

Some insane person gave this rear end in a top hat a guaranteed contract for 6 years starting at $1.4m and with annual raises. That was just under 2 years ago. So he's gonna want more like $6m to walk, unless they really do have something they can straight up fire him for. When I think of Steve Patterson I don't think of a guy who passes up an opportunity to get money for the sake of something like dignity.

e: His contract is here (scroll down) and I think they may have a case. He can be fired for cause if he "engages in any fraud or dishonesty while performing [his] duties" (for one thing, he blatantly lied to city officials while addressing them in his official capacity just last week). Also "any conduct... that the President reasonably determines is unbecoming to the Athletics Director, or which reasonably brings in to question the integrity of the athletics director" (I can think of a few things).

On one hand, universities typically try to do a quiet buyout. Michigan had a massive case against Dave Brandon which could have led to Dave being fired with cause, but they elected to go with the mutual agreement for him to resign.

On the other hand, going by Joe Jamail's past history, I doubt Texas or its boosters are going to concede if Patterson fights back.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don't know, the paragraph on "fraud and dishonesty" seems pretty limited to documents, and "unbecoming conduct" seems like a catch-all phrase designed to deal with off-the-wall, unanticipated personal stuff (think Bobby Petrino at Arkansas). The language is definitely broad enough to make an argument for termination for cause, but I'd truly be impressed if you could make it stick. But, on the other hand, maybe an argument is all you need if your goal is a favorable settlement.

My main takeaway from looking at that contact is pure shock and disgust at how difficult it is to fire an incompetent rear end in a top hat who's making 1.4 million a year. I am truly in the wrong profession!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

America has devolved to the point that even TV has to be that page from Highlights Magazine that would put a picture of a dog in the sentence instead of the word "dog" because it was literally for children.

GOOFUS: Beats up his girlfriend and gets kicked off the football team.
GALLANT: Takes his girlfriend to the ice cream social or whatever. Gallant was kind of a pud.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

As the future Texas AD, I want you all to know that Co Head Coaches Bret Bielema and Will Muschamp will bring in an avant garde approach to football.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Texas would be crazy to try and fire for cause, the amount of dirt that would be pulled up during the discovery phase of a wrongful termination lawsuit is more than enough to pay whatever the full amount of his buyout is.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
gently caress that, I hope they go for it and it just turns into the messiest clusterfuck possible until the whole thing is inexplicably settled by a Quick and the Dead style pistols-at-dawn duel.

Granted, I also just want Texas to keep being kinda bad so that UCLA can keep plucking highly-rated recruits out of there.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

swickles posted:

Texas would be crazy to try and fire for cause, the amount of dirt that would be pulled up during the discovery phase of a wrongful termination lawsuit is more than enough to pay whatever the full amount of his buyout is.

He already tendered his resignation and it was accepted. Former all-conference linebacker and current Houston attorney Mike Perrin has agreed to a serve as the interim AD through August 2016 for $750k. No way does he actually end up serving that long, though. If you'll recall, Dodds said in October 2013 that he was retiring effective August 2014, and he was gone the next month.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The new Texas AD had better deal with high-powered Texas donor Joe Jamail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxmrvbMeKc

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
That will never, ever get old. Unlike Jamail.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 16, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The fraction of a second when the Monsanto guy goes from arrogantly dismissive joke man to attack mode to unable to fight because he is old and built like a stack of brisket because someone called him a "dumb son of a bitch" is the funniest loving thing in the world.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

He already tendered his resignation and it was accepted. Former all-conference linebacker and current Houston attorney Mike Perrin has agreed to a serve as the interim AD through August 2016 for $750k. No way does he actually end up serving that long, though. If you'll recall, Dodds said in October 2013 that he was retiring effective August 2014, and he was gone the next month.

Well that's boring as poo poo. Hopefully he got some money to live the buyout life for a bit.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
God Jamail is just the coolest. I don't even know where to start with quoting amazing poo poo from this article, but this should give you a sense of who we're talking about.

quote:

In depositions, with no judge around, he’s hit attorneys in the face and called countless more witnesses “rear end in a top hat” than just the one who testified against Eubanks. He once took a $675,000 judgment against Sears into the retail chain’s downtown Houston location, commandeered the intercom, and informed employees that he’d just taken over the store.

“The first time I ever laid eyes on Joe Jamail was during a deposition of an eighteen-wheeler driver in Houston,” says Ferguson. “Joe walked in twenty minutes late, sat down between the driver and his own lawyer, and interrupted to ask what kind of truck he’d been driving. It was a Mack truck.Jamail said, ‘Two most overrated things in the world: Mack trucks and teenage pussy.’ ”

:patriot:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Thermos H Christ posted:

God Jamail is just the coolest. I don't even know where to start with quoting amazing poo poo from this article, but this should give you a sense of who we're talking about.

At the risk of :thejoke:, is it safe to assume that the latter was the reason why he walked in 20 minutes late

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thermos H Christ posted:

I am typically against naming stupid things like fields after donors, but I make an exception in this case.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wish I was him

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That video gets more incredible every time I watch it. Fat boooooy

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

So Texas idolizes gigantic assholes with the social skills of a 4 year old... yup, checks out.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

swickles posted:

So Texas idolizes gigantic assholes with the social skills of a 4 year old... yup, checks out.

It's a funny video

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The guy basically monetized calling people sons of bitches, the only thing more Texan is to unsuccessfully form a broke country and beg to be annexed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

buddhanc posted:

It's a funny video

I mean, the video is funny, but the more you learn about the guy the more he is just another dick attorney.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Sociopathic rear end in a top hat becomes successful, who knew

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
All you get from that video is it's a room full of guys who need the poo poo kicked out of them on a regular basis.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I just finished Endzone by John U. Bacon about Dave Brandon's tenure at Michigan and it's an extremely good read as long as you can get past Bacon's constant U of M "Michigan Man" dicksucking.

Brandon is a world class buffoon and while the cliffs notes tell most of the good bits, it's worth reading the whole thing just to get the complete picture of what a jackass the guy is.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

Sociopathic rear end in a top hat becomes successful, who knew

I thought you were a Longhorns fan? How could you not know this?

I've worked plenty in the state of Texas & it seemed during my time there that one of the state past-times was to produce sociopathic assholes who were successful.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

swickles posted:

I mean, the video is funny, but the more you learn about the guy the more he is just another dick attorney.

Dude. Joe Jamail is not "just another" anything. He is a genius, a virtuoso, a giant, a monster. Unspeakably talented and skilled on a level that could never be taught. Yes, he's also a complete dick, but he is the biggest swinging dick. His dick dragging on the ground carved the Grand Canyon. You might as well say Einstein was just another math nerd.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sportsgenius86 posted:

I just finished Endzone by John U. Bacon about Dave Brandon's tenure at Michigan and it's an extremely good read as long as you can get past Bacon's constant U of M "Michigan Man" dicksucking.

Brandon is a world class buffoon and while the cliffs notes tell most of the good bits, it's worth reading the whole thing just to get the complete picture of what a jackass the guy is.

What's amazing is that there's even more stories out there, those were just the best ones that could push the story along and were confirmed by multiple people involved. Brandon is truly an incredible jackass, and it continued after he left Michigan, by having various Detroit-area business writers bash the university in ghostwritten newspaper columns over how much of a genius Brandon is and how abused he was by all the mean people at Michigan. What a jackass.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MourningView posted:

Enraged by Iowa fans daring to express optimism, The Angry Iowa Running Back Hating God has quietly returned this week. Starter LeShaun Daniels is questionable with an ankle injury he suffered early against ISU. Supposedly they got good news on he and Ott yesterday, but Ferentz still called both injuries "significant" and Daniels has a long injury history so I'm not holding my breath. Now nominal third string back Derrick Mitchell has been suspended for some unknown code of conduct violation (which in the past has often been a prelude to the player transferring or getting chucked off the team but I have no idea how serious this one is). This leaves the Iowa's running back situation as less than ideal

Apparently, Mitchell is now reinstated? Very odd. Wonder what that was all about?

We need him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Apparently Akron has been kicking around the idea of a name change to the entire university. On the one hand, adding "the" to the name is super dumb, but on the other it would drive OSU fans crazy, which I 100% support. Kinda torn.

• Locked thread