Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Siliziumleben posted:

What is a "normal" amount of applications to be sending out per week when looking for an entry level job in software?

As many as you can manage at companies you might remotely want to work for, while still keeping the quality of your applications high and reasonably targeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Siliziumleben posted:

As a followup to my own question, am I right in assuming that I have a snowball's chance in hell at landing a job in the US while still living in Germany even if I explicitly state on my applications that I am eager and able to relocate?
Nobody really cares where you live presently so long as you're eligible to work in the US and you're able/willing to relocate. At worst, the xenophobic ones will worry if there's culture or language barrier issues with a "foreigner", but if you're actually a US citizen then you just need to state that, problem solved!

And you don't have to elaborate on it, just put "U.S. citizen" somewhere reasonably prominent and you're done. Most folks will think you probably just went to school in Germany and that's fine.

If you want to state more about your background you can put it towards the end of a cover letter. If folks make it that far through your cover letter, they're probably not going to toss it just because you live in Germany. In general, Germans aren't spamming job applications for "must be willing to relocate, must be US work eligible" job postings the way that other nationals (e.g., Indians) do, so I wouldn't worry about accidentally being filtered.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Tech is already a fairly internationalized industry so any companies that toss your resume without further consideration are probably places you don't want to work for anyways.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

csammis posted:

Just don't put "Proud White US Citizen" on your resume in a red-white-and-blue block next to your name.

Seriously.
Should I show up dressed like this for the interview?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Siliziumleben posted:

Yes, except put on blackface as well and if they ask any questions or raise their eyebrows tell them you're cosplaying as Apollo Creed

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Siliziumleben posted:

I'll just put both. "US citizen - can legally live and work in the US."

As a followup to my own question, am I right in assuming that I have a snowball's chance in hell at landing a job in the US while still living in Germany even if I explicitly state on my applications that I am eager and able to relocate?

The only places you'd need to worry about it is at smaller places that can't afford to fly you out and want onsite interviews. Otherwise no one will care.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Say in your cover letter that you're already planning to move back to the US, so it's more like you're actively looking for US work not just seeing what's available.

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

Strong chance i'm getting laid off at the end of the month.

I want to break out of C#/WPF desktop work and get into web development, which means realistically I should be heading towards ASP.NET.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do for the next 2-3 weeks to put together a portfolio piece (or pieces) to show off that I can work with this stack?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

authwiggidywack posted:

Strong chance i'm getting laid off at the end of the month.

I want to break out of C#/WPF desktop work and get into web development, which means realistically I should be heading towards ASP.NET.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do for the next 2-3 weeks to put together a portfolio piece (or pieces) to show off that I can work with this stack?

I wouldn't focus too much on ASP.NET. While you may end up doing server side REST services in it, there is a big push towards SPA frameworks like AngularJS and React. I would take a look at them, and give Typescript a look as well, it's like C# for browsers (is designed & developed by Anders Hejlsberg, designer of C#).

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

Thanks for the tips, Skandranon. Fill try and focus on more of the front end stuff. Once I get into the backend (C# its all cake from there.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

In ASP MVC even the views can look a hell of a lot like C#, so you're probably more ready than you realize.

authwiggidywack
Oct 29, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

In ASP MVC even the views can look a hell of a lot like C#, so you're probably more ready than you realize.

I'm trying to think of a few small things i can put together on github to show this, anyone have any ideas?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Make an Orchard plugin. Even if it's babys first string mangler the fact that you can show you can work with Orchard+Angular/React/Knockout/Fabric(?!) is going to get you past a lot of resume buzzword filters.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How much money should I ask for a job which will involved keeping a broke rear end webforms application, not done in-house, running until eventually the client kicks it to the curb and makes a new one?
What interests me on the job is moving abroad, but when even the manager tells you it will be frustrating upfront, it makes me reconsider. Not to mention, freakin webforms, really?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Honest Thief posted:

How much money should I ask for a job which will involved keeping a broke rear end webforms application, not done in-house, running until eventually the client kicks it to the curb and makes a new one?
What interests me on the job is moving abroad, but when even the manager tells you it will be frustrating upfront, it makes me reconsider. Not to mention, freakin webforms, really?

How was this communicated? I recently took a job as a mobile developer for a very large bank. My manager told me "you will run into things that will frustrate you from time to time. We are working on fixing this. If you run into something that frustrates you, tell me asap and we will fix it." And so far, that has been exactly the case, he's been a pro at getting poo poo knocked out of the way.

Or did he basically say "this job will be supremely frustrating and I just know you'll put up with it long enough that you don't owe me any relo money."

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

pr0zac posted:

I mean, if your job would pay for you to get a masters yes its probably worth doing it.

Yeah with all the help I can get I'm definitely applying. Just a bit worried after the MS it will be more difficult to get software engineering jobs outside of the health industry because that will be my only experience.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah with all the help I can get I'm definitely applying. Just a bit worried after the MS it will be more difficult to get software engineering jobs outside of the health industry because that will be my only experience.

Its only two years and you're still programming. I wouldn't worry about it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Siliziumleben posted:

I never got to find out because this guy didn't get past the phone interview stage, which we had to conduct twice because he slept through the first appointment. We asked HR not to schedule a phone interview at all because we weren't going to hire anyway based on his resume but that got us an accusation of "reverse racism." That was an awesome conversation.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

I'd have to be in some desperate times to take a job specifically maintaining an already broken webforms application. Some things aren't worth knowing.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

csammis posted:

I never got to find out because this guy didn't get past the phone interview stage, which we had to conduct twice because he slept through the first appointment. We asked HR not to schedule a phone interview at all because we weren't going to hire anyway based on his resume but that got us an accusation of "reverse racism." That was an awesome conversation.

I'm going to choose to interpret this as HR saying it would be 'reverse racism' not to interview the guy.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

How was this communicated? I recently took a job as a mobile developer for a very large bank. My manager told me "you will run into things that will frustrate you from time to time. We are working on fixing this. If you run into something that frustrates you, tell me asap and we will fix it." And so far, that has been exactly the case, he's been a pro at getting poo poo knocked out of the way.

Or did he basically say "this job will be supremely frustrating and I just know you'll put up with it long enough that you don't owe me any relo money."

More like, "I know developers want to develop from scratch but this job, for the meantime, can't give you a date yet, will be to keep this application alive". He literally said the application was trash, but it's too big to fail right now, and of course the client wants new features added in.

Skandranon posted:

I'd have to be in some desperate times to take a job specifically maintaining an already broken webforms application. Some things aren't worth knowing.
I sometimes do that already with the legacy projects of where I'm at, but it's only as a tiny touch up every month or so. But doing that for like full six months? Oh boy, the money better be good...

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 15, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

csammis posted:

Well, you wouldn't want to be the black man in the alley.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

sarehu posted:

Well, you wouldn't want to be the black man in the alley.

Isn't there a D&D thread you can poo poo up?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Serious question:

If the guy interviewing you lists Something Awful on his Linked In page, and you realize that he's a goon

Do you ask him during the interview if he has stairs in his house? :awesomelon::respek::chanpop:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
If he lists SA on his linkedin page he's probably radium and you'll dodge a bullet by not interviewing him

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I don't think Goon is a protected group, so you are free to discriminate against him on those grounds.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Hadlock posted:

If the guy interviewing you lists Something Awful on his Linked In page
By choice? Or endorsed by others?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Hadlock posted:

Serious question:

If the guy interviewing you lists Something Awful on his Linked In page, and you realize that he's a goon

Do you ask him during the interview if he has stairs in his house? :awesomelon::respek::chanpop:

Wouldn't this make it clear that you stalked him on LinkedIn?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Wouldn't this make it clear that you stalked him on LinkedIn?

I thought the whole point of LinkedIn was you expect people to look you up there when applying for a job.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Skandranon posted:

I thought the whole point of LinkedIn was you expect people to look you up there when applying for a job.

The point is also for people I've only ever peripherally worked with 8 years ago to suddenly endorse me for a technology I'm barely competent with and have never actually demonstrated to them that I have any competency with whatsoever. :haw:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

No Safe Word posted:

The point is also for people I've only ever peripherally worked with 8 years ago to suddenly endorse me for a technology I'm barely competent with and have never actually demonstrated to them that I have any competency with whatsoever. :haw:

Ah yes yes, I believe I will endorse this colleague in XML, he has seen it once or twice after all.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

No Safe Word posted:

Also they're from Sales and wouldn't know JavaScript from a coffee-soaked book. Thanks, LinkedIn!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My favorite is that you can endorse people on LinkedIn for things like "murder" and "arson." I imagine it's for attorneys who defend people from such charges, but it still makes the whole thing look especially designed for drive-by prank endorsements.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
A friend of mine has a bunch of endorsements for time travel and flying

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Is there a good way to get a feel for the strength of a market besides indeed's count-of-jobs-with-keyword or Robert Half's salary guide by zipcode or metro area?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Its only two years and you're still programming. I wouldn't worry about it.

That's the thing about this job(at least currently) I feel like I'm not learning as much as someone in a junior role would be. There is no one reviewing my code to tell me hey dummy this isn't a good practice or just you know help. My manager just has touchpoints with me to see that the app is working. I feel like I'm progressing a lot slower than someone who is at a pure dev shop. Things may change though because my current manager is leaving next week, but I am not hopeful at all, and actually scared because most of my peers are not doing much, if any, coding at all. At least I had that going with this current manager.

As a more general question to the thread there are a poo poo ton of acronyms at my current job that have no bearing on my actual code should I ever bother learning them?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Space Whale posted:

Is there a good way to get a feel for the strength of a market besides indeed's count-of-jobs-with-keyword or Robert Half's salary guide by zipcode or metro area?

I just found out a few weeks ago that the dept of labor publishes statistics on all sorts of professions and allows you to read individual reports based on a single metropolitan area. Their numbers are pulled from actual company reporting as well so they're pretty accurate.

http://www.bls.gov/bls/blswage.htm

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Had an interesting interview with a small consulting company, they seem pretty chill and cool, 5* on Glassdoor (granted only 4 reviews so who knows), they threw out a pay # which was slightly above average (Seattle); but a couple things made me raise my eyebrow.

• They only do 1 week of vacation; though "they're flexible with time off".
  • I'm not going to do a regular code interview session, instead they want me to write an application and "please spend no more than 10 hours on this project". The app seems pretty trivial (and not something they could get free work out of) but still kind of a red flag.
  • I'd be full-time but hourly. Reasoning was that while they typically avoid 40+ hour work weeks, if for whatever reason (crunch time) I do have to put in additional time, I'd get paid for it... which I guess is nice? I don't know.

They do pay for insurance and 401k vests immediately so :shrug:

Not sure I want to do consulting work but maybe it would get me good exposure to different technologies since I apparently can't be arsed to do projects outside of work.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a job at Google, yay! I'd like to thank the academy the thread for all the advice along the way. Gotta try and negotiate for :10bux: now.

That said, I'm obliged to tell you that by virtue of more money == better than, I'm now highly qualified to be a pedantic rear end in a top hat telling students and job seekers what they're doing wrong. Also I've come to the conclusion that taxes are literally Satan's work, stop the Congress created dust bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I've got over a year of web dev internships under my belt, with some good AngularJS/frontend experience, some experience with various PHP frameworks, some nodeJS and a lot of other random tools and experience (I'm good with Git/Unix CLI, tools such as grunt/gulp/sass etc.)

My deal is I want to go into a (probably more frontend-oriented) web dev job, but I want to have exposure to at least some other areas of interest:

* machine learning
* natural language processing
* large-scale nodejs systems
* strong UX emphasis environment

Out of those, I'm guessing the UX/NodeJS interests would be the easiest to gain exposure to in a web dev job. Anyone have any tips or advice on getting a job with these attributes?

Also, any general tips on getting out of the city you're in (relocating) fresh out of college would be awesome as well.